BOMBSHELL: Serotonin High in Depression, Not a "Happy" Chemical, Lowers Energy, Depression Self-Resolves

haidut

Forum Supporter
When I first saw the article pop up in my feed, I could hardly believe my eyes that a mainstream mouthpiece of Big Pharma will publish such frank admission of psychiatry's utter failure - i.e. the claims in regards to serotonin (5-HT), its role in mental illness, and even its social "label". In just two pages, the article openly admits that 5-HT are actually very high (instead of low) in clinically depressed people, that serotonin is NOT the "happy hormone" as media has brainwashing people for 50+ years, and that serotonin's main role is actually metabolic and such that results in lower energy (metabolism) in order to induce an "avoidant" behavior. So, depression is a metabolic/bioenergetic disease and serotonin is its major direct cause. In addition, the article even suggests (inadvertently) a possible mechanism through which SSRI drugs drastically increase risk of suicide. Namely, SSRI drugs initially raise extracellular 5-HT levels even higher than they already were in clinically depressed people. After 2-3 weeks, the article claims that regulatory mechanisms kick in due to abnormally high 5-HT levels induced by the depression and the SSRI drugs, and the body starts to produce less serotonin as a compensatory mechanism. Then serotonin levels drop, and the person's depression is relieved. The first portion of this statement is spot-on, but I disagree with the second portion. Extracellular 5-HT levels of depressed people treated with an SSRI drug do NOT drop after a few weeks. So, for the first few weeks after starting an SSRI and the patient has a still-intact higher cognitive function (i.e. empathy) the extremely high 5-HT levels raise the risk of only suicide. After the patient gets "numbed" by the SSRI, my guess is the propensity/risk for homicide/violence rises as well since the patient is no longer capable of empathy or caring about others (or self) - i.e. the patient has been (chemically) lobotomized. This (chemical) lobotomy is mis-diagnosed as "remission" from the depressive state, but psychiatrists know quite well it is NOT a return to the former healthy state and they (wrongly) advise their patients to stay on the drug for life due to fear of a relapse. Speaking of depression, another bombshell admission by the article is that most cases of depression (even severe ones) resolve on their own within 6-9 months!! So much for the "lifesaving" importance of the mental health industry. I wonder how many fewer people would have died from suicide/violence due to mental health issues if the mental health industry had NOT been around...

5 Surprising Facts About the Best Ways to Treat Depression

"...So how does CBT do as well as medication in the short term (and better in the long term) if it’s not directly treating the underlying “chemical imbalance”—the low serotonin that causes depression? As it turns out, low serotonin in depression is a myth. But the real link between serotonin and depression is even more surprising. “The evidence is pretty clear,” said Hollon. “There’s not a deficit—there’s an excess.” He described findings from a study that measured metabolite levels from blood in the brain, which indicate how much serotonin the brain is using. Results from this study revealed that serotonin levels were elevated among those with clinical depression, and returned to normal levels following medication treatment. Other studies (e.g., Gjerris et al., 1987, and Sulllivan et al., 2006) using different methods have found similar results. These findings sound paradoxical, given that depression medications tend to increase the amount of serotonin in the synapse, at least initially. But Hollon explained that “within a week to ten days, you increase the amount of serotonin so high that the regulatory mechanisms push back.” As a result, serotonin levels fall. “It’s like holding a match up to a thermostat to turn the furnace down,” said Hollon. “You’re tricking the system into kicking back in and regulating” serotonin levels."

"...High levels of serotonin in depression make more sense when we realize that serotonin is not the “feel-good neurotransmitter,” as has often been claimed based on its involvement in depression; that role is played by the endogenous opioids (as the name suggests) like endorphins. According to Hollon, “Serotonin is the energy transfer regulator. It moves you back and forth between approach and avoidance behavior.”

"...There is a common belief that depression sticks around indefinitely unless it’s treated; however, research shows that most episodes are time-limited even without treatment. “Nobody knows for sure [how long an average episode lasts],” Hollon said, “but it looks like it’s about six to nine months.” This spontaneous remission may be a result of the rumination processes described above, to the extent that they lead to effective solutions. Nevertheless, Hollon points out that helping depression to resolve in “three to six weeks” through an effective treatment like CBT “is much better than six to nine months.”

crsnpalmer

I have a friend who has been taking a SSRI for the last 3 months. I've seen him on a golf trip and bachelor trip. He got in fights both weekends. Never once saw him get in a fight growing up. He has become a constant liar/sociopath. This is just antidotal, but I wish people would change their nutrition before hopping on these medications.

joaquin

I know someone who is always trying to increase his serotonin by taking 5 Http supplement. He is very easily agitated and gets angry quickly.

It's very sad that antidepressants coincidentally also increase dopamine and allopregnenolone which explain the good effects of the first 2 months. And people claim SSRI as being helpful.
It's like taking Ritalin, Xanax and 5HTP, of course you will feel good, but not for a long time.

Mauritio

This is groundbreaking.
Dont know if it's just me,but I feel like in the last 2 years there's been a push in the right direction in medicine. Its still subtle, but who would've thought?

Kvothe

This is groundbreaking.
Dont know if it's just me,but I feel like in the last 2 years there's been a push in the right direction in medicine. Its still subtle, but who would've thought?
I don't know. Papers like this one on serotonine have been published for decades now. They appear infrequently and never seem to change anything regarding the consensus. They are just passed over in the flood of textbooks and junk studies calling it the happy "hormone".

joaquin

This is groundbreaking.
Don't get your hopes up. There have many, many times in the past where one might think that a paradigm shift was happening - when it didn't.

yerrag

This is groundbreaking.
Maybe because many mainstream researchers woke up with the COVID Hoaxing and without any coordination they began the process of individually correcting the poor record not knowing there were similar individual efforts that altogether formed a pattern.

But I'm afraid it is just a blip as real change takes more.

NikT

Serotonin is on meme level propaganda lies like covid, soy and climite change

LeeLemonoil

I don't know. Papers like this one on serotonine have been published for decades now. They appear infrequently and never seem to change anything regarding the consensus. They are just passed over in the flood of textbooks and junk studies calling it the happy "hormone".

Sadly that’s rather the. „Psychology today“ where this was published has had many really good articles over the years on Serotonin-hypothesis, zinc for depression, tryptophan steal and so forth. It’s very open towards good research. Still, SSRIs get prescribed not only by bad psychiatrists but also GPs who honestly are clueless about neurology, neuroendocrinilogy etc

They don’t read, they don’t learn about the Field and unless their Pharma vendor sells them anything different they will continue prescribe SSRIs.

area51puy

Forum Supporter
I’m totally shocked!!! I need to sit down! This came out of nowhere. Who could have seen this coming???

P

pineywoodrooter

I was actually just about to try SSRI's for anxiety even despite knowing how determinantal serotonin is. This reinforces that being a bad idea.

Does anything actually work? I've tried everything really. Niacinamide, more sugar, more carbs, more calories, andro, 11-keto dht, l-theanine, glycine, magnesium. No effects.

About to just pump myself full of anabolic steroids. Surely that'd work.

Regina

I was actually just about to try SSRI's for anxiety even despite knowing how determinantal serotonin is. This reinforces that being a bad idea.

Does anything actually work? I've tried everything really. Niacinamide, more sugar, more carbs, more calories, andro, 11-keto dht, l-theanine, glycine, magnesium. No effects.

pregnenolone?

Jessie

Have you tried progesterone? I would also give lidocaine a try too.

P

pineywoodrooter

Have you tried progesterone? I would also give lidocaine a try too.

Progesterone and pregnenolone both give me estrogenic reactions. I could try lidocaine. How do you take it?

Jessie

I dissolve about 25mgs of lidocaine hcl in a shot glass of warm water and down the hatch. If it works, your problem is likely either adrenaline, histamine, or endotoxin. These are the things lidocaine is typically good for.

Greg says

Ray has mentioned Siberian Ginseng. It does have anti-depressive qualities similar to the old anti-depressants, may take a couple weeks to take effect. Or worst case, not ideal but works, St. John’s wort, or hyperforin has better action than SSRIS with less side effects, they can take 9 weeks to take effect.

Inaut

I dissolve about 25mgs of lidocaine hcl in a shot glass of warm water and down the hatch. If it works, your problem is likely either adrenaline, histamine, or endotoxin. These are the things lidocaine is typically good for.
I was thinking about lidocaine too:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals