Urgent: Runaway heart rate and general illness after penicillin.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

I don't think the additives in any drug are strong enough to cause such a horrible reaction that you go without sleep for week(s). If it started right after the antibiotic it must be something to do with that, like gut bacteria is somehow messed up or there is candida overgrowth.
How do you find out if you have candida

Perry Staltic

I would suggest getting a bifido based probiotic, I got one called Lifted Naturals - Mood super strains from amazon. They are antihistamine strains. I starting to take (small amounts and increasing slowly). I have "mast cell activation" which apparently makes me really sensitive to mold. (Basically really high estrogen)

The bfidobacterium and L. rhamnosus in that product produce acetate and L-lactate, respectively, but not much if any D-lactate.

I'm wondering, @Sam321, if you killed off too many good bacteria in your small intestine and now have an overgrowth of D-lactate-producing bacteria there, which could cause neurological problems (including rapid heart rate). A lactic acid test would tell you if you have elevated D-lactate, but you would have to specify a D-lactate test because routine lactic acid tests only test for L-lactate, which doesn't present the same problems as D-lactate. The body lacks D-lactate metabolizing enzymes, so it can build up and cause problems. Something to consider and research.

golder

So what's a good probiotic that would avoid these potential lactate generating bacteria?

qwazy

@Sam321 Testing for candida is difficult. Urine (d-arabinitol) might be most accurate. Id do a urine and stool test together.

Serene

The bfidobacterium and L. rhamnosus in that product produce acetate and L-lactate, respectively, but not much if any D-lactate.

I'm wondering, @Sam321, if you killed off too many good bacteria in your small intestine and now have an overgrowth of D-lactate-producing bacteria there, which could cause neurological problems (including rapid heart rate). A lactic acid test would tell you if you have elevated D-lactate, but you would have to specify a D-lactate test because routine lactic acid tests only test for L-lactate, which doesn't present the same problems as D-lactate. The body lacks D-lactate metabolizing enzymes, so it can build up and cause problems. Something to consider and research.
Thank you for this! I wonder if this is also what's going on with me. I am living in a house with mold which can affect the gut bacteria. I just started taking that probiotic and have only taken it a few times. I think they checked my lactate at the hospital but it looks like it would have been l-lactate they checked.

Perry Staltic

Thank you for this! I wonder if this is also what's going on with me. I am living in a house with mold which can affect the gut bacteria. I just started taking that probiotic and have only taken it a few times. I think they checked my lactate at the hospital but it looks like it would have been l-lactate they checked.

Yeah it was definitely an L-lactate test, which doesn't tell you anything about D-lactate. I read recently that people with SIBO have high D-lactate levels. I'll try to find it.

Perry Staltic

So what's a good probiotic that would avoid these potential lactate generating bacteria?

Probiotics that don't produce much, or any, D-lactate include bacillus coagulens, bacillus subtilis, L, rhamnosus, bfidobacteria breve, lactis, longum, infantis, bifidum, L. salivarius, streptoccocus thermophilus. There are others, but these are the ones I know about. As far as I'm concened, it's speculative at this point whether these make any difference or not, but it makes a lot of sense and lots of people claim good success using them, so I'm willing to experiment on myself.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Hey Sam. Did you ask a question on Danny's most recent video? I left a reply.

I am experiencing the same issues as you. I was in the ER on Friday, and urgent care last week with tachycardia and high BP, anxiety was through the roof because I didn't know what was happening. I am living in apt with mold and I found some on the carpet next to my bed and was waking up in the middle of the night with these symptoms for a couple of weeks. I also had low K+ at the hospital, and they gave me 2 potassium pills.

You might be experiencing "mast cell activation/histamine intolerance" or a vagus nerve problem. You probably have increased histamine because your gut bacteria are out of whack, almost like an allergic reaction. Your body uses acetylcholine to "mop up" excess histamine. This will affect your vagus nerve, which controls your HR, BP, etc.

I am currently taking a choline supplement which is helping tremendously. I still get little flares throughout the day, with waves of anxiety and what feels like an increased HR and palpitations. I am taking choline with each meal and it helps. The ER wants me to wear a holter monitor, but I have already had a bunch of tests and my heart is fine. Vitamin D seems to relax me as well.

I have also been doing foot baths with epsom salt, sodium bicarb, potassium bicarb, and dead sea salt. I think the adrenaline and racing heart is burning through all my minerals very quickly and this helps almost instantly to relax me and bring HR down. I am also having difficulty sleeping, lots of anxiety at sleep time since I feel palps.

I tried taking benadryl and cypro which made me worse. They are anticholinergics.

I would suggest getting a bifido based probiotic, I got one called Lifted Naturals - Mood super strains from amazon. They are antihistamine strains. I starting to take (small amounts and increasing slowly). I have "mast cell activation" which apparently makes me really sensitive to mold. (Basically really high estrogen)

It was just tested and is not toxic, another Company is coming this week to find out where it is coming from and do remediation. I have been living here for years with weird symptoms since I moved in, but getting worse over the past few months. Very inflamed and reactive, hives, rashes, etc, and now this new heart racing thing. Sorry I don't have time to post more links for you.

Hopefully this will help :)

Perry Staltic

Yeah it was definitely an L-lactate test, which doesn't tell you anything about D-lactate. I read recently that people with SIBO have high D-lactate levels. I'll try to find it.

Found it,

He also had a leaky gut, and his gut was very inflamed. The immune system in his gut showed a high level of inflammation by a marker called eosinophil protein X. He had 3 species of yeast growing in his gut and no growth of healthy bacteria. Urine tests showed very high levels of D-lactate, an indicator of overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

I'm so tired my skin is flush and when I laid down to take a nap today I dozed off then kicked myself awake with my leg. Then I felt my heart rate increase and I felt this terrifying feeling like my soul was leaving my body and I panicked and got up.

I tried cyproheptadine last night at .5mg and then 1mg later on in the night when I couldn't sleep. Neither worked. Does this rule out elevated serotonin @haidut? I asked the question about a bad reaction to antibiotics on the GE podcast #50 a day or so back.

Any thoughts on these symptoms? Am really suffering rn. Feels like my body is withering away.

gaze

are you still eating the same diet as you initially stated? I just noticed you're taking vitamin k2. I would make these changes: cut the vitamin K and all supplments. alot of people react poorly to vitamin k2, it gave me palpitations and made me feel like I wasn't myself. cut all the other supplements too because of possible impurities. use whole milk instead of skim milk to avoid added vitamins in skim milk. Cut the gelatin. powdered gelatin has some risks, its often contaminated, and I don't think its produced very well. Ray himself doesn't use any powder protein poweders. Focus on balanced meals not too extreme. mashed potatoes with chicken with a side of milk and OJ, meat and rice with a side of milk and OJ. cut back on excess white sugar. try to get nutritious meals, in a balanced fashion, without any oddities. thats what I would do at least. think of it as a slight elimination diet to make sure nothing your eating is causing the problem.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Do you

So you are saying @Serene is on the right track with her antibiotic? Sorry to ask you to spell it out. My brain is hardly working right now I'm so tired.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

are you still eating the same diet as you initially stated? I just noticed you're taking vitamin k2. I would make these changes: cut the vitamin K and all supplments. alot of people react poorly to vitamin k2, it gave me palpitations and made me feel like I wasn't myself. cut all the other supplements too because of possible impurities. use whole milk instead of skim milk to avoid added vitamins in skim milk. Cut the gelatin. powdered gelatin has some risks, its often contaminated, and I don't think its produced very well. Ray himself doesn't use any powder protein poweders. Focus on balanced meals not too extreme. mashed potatoes with chicken with a side of milk and OJ, meat and rice with a side of milk and OJ. cut back on excess white sugar. try to get nutritious meals, in a balanced fashion, without any oddities. thats what I would do at least. think of it as a slight elimination diet to make sure nothing your eating is causing the problem.
Yeah diet is similar or the same plus potatos and ice cream. I think I had a gnarly reaction to apple juice and maybe orange juice. Pulse was low after some milk and chicken and potatos. Drank 2 cups of apple juice and my stomach had a hard time digesting and got acid reflux and had horrible sleep.

I'll try that out

gaze

there are plenty of people claiming vitamin k2 gives them problems:

I also did not feel good at all when I tried it. When did you start taking it?

Perry Staltic

Do you

So you are saying @Serene is on the right track with her antibiotic? Sorry to ask you to spell it out. My brain is hardly working right now I'm so tired.

Sorry, but I have no idea if it is the right track or not. Sounds like she's experimenting like I am. I use the species she uses, plus a few more.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

there are plenty of people claiming vitamin k2 gives them problems:

I also did not feel good at all when I tried it. When did you start taking it?
Hmmm. About a year or so ago. 1 to 2 drops of Thorne k2

gaze

Hmmm. About a year or so ago. 1 to 2 drops of Thorne k2
have you had any problems in the past year? it may not be that, but it's worth omitting for now just to get rid of all variables.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

have you had any problems in the past year? it may not be that, but it's worth omitting for now just to get rid of all variables.
I've had shorter bouts of the run away heart rate thing and brief insomnia in the past year. Mostly in situations where I feel trapped or I've over exerted myself physically (had sex for many hours and couldn't sleep or drove 8 hours and slept at strangers house). But it always goes away in a day or two.

A month and a half? Cmon now thats insane.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals