Insomnia, high heart rate, poor metabolism

Sven

Hi, first post in this section. I am trying to help someone suffering from a variety of issues that may be related, at least some of them. The person is suffering from:

- Insomnia. Takes a really long time to fall asleep, 2-5 hours. Impossible to fall back asleep early in the morning resulting in short night sleep.
- Frequent wakeups. The person wakes up to little noises or sometimes without any obvious external reason as often as once per hour during night sleep.
- Fast heart rate (but low blood pressure.) Quick heartbeats common especially when tired or after consuming meals, which large amounts of carbs being particularly bad.
- Itchy skin with no rash present. On and off, mostly in the evenings and at night.
- Hard time losing weight despite eating mostly good food in reasonable amounts.

When it comes to food it's almost entirely home cooked food made from a few simple ingredients. Rice, potatoes, pasta, beef, chicken, pork, occasionally fish, 2 eggs daily, small amounts of dairy mostly for cooking, occasionally bread. Fruits and vegetables ocasionally, particularly cucumber. No problems tolerating dairy. Can not afford to eat all organic but the standards are decent for domestic meat and dairy in Finland compared to elsewhere. No supplements are used. History of antidepressants but been off them for 2 years.

I'm not sure where to start. Whenever I've had trouble sleeping some carbs has sent me right to sleep but my friend can't seem to tolerate them, it triggers some kind of wierd response. It kind of points to metabolic issues I suppose which could also produce excess serotonin but any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt1951

B1 deficiency causes a high pulse rate. Peat says supplementing up to 90 mg is safe. Carbs require extra B1.

Vileplume

I used to have a high heart rate., along with hot flashes, and it did go away. You can find my thread about it here: High Sedentary Heart Rate and Hot Flashes (Guy)

The issue turned out to stem from digestive irritation and low thyroid function.

What helped me most was:
-Using a low-histamine thyroid supplement (cynoplus and cynomel, instead of tyromax)
-Finding an easily digested milk (A2 milk) and replacing meat with it
-Cutting out fibrous unripe fruit and drinking juice instead
-trialing a low starch and low soluble fiber diet could help

OP
S

Sven

Thanks for the replies so far. I wonder if pregnenolone or allopregnenolone could be useful for anti-stress purposes.

OP
S

Sven

B1 deficiency causes a high pulse rate. Peat says supplementing up to 90 mg is safe. Carbs require extra B1.
We've found supplementing with only 2 drops of Energin daily to have a good effect on sleep. Thanks for the reply.

aliml

Hi, first post in this section. I am trying to help someone suffering from a variety of issues that may be related, at least some of them. The person is suffering from:

- Insomnia. Takes a really long time to fall asleep, 2-5 hours. Impossible to fall back asleep early in the morning resulting in short night sleep.
- Frequent wakeups. The person wakes up to little noises or sometimes without any obvious external reason as often as once per hour during night sleep.
- Fast heart rate (but low blood pressure.) Quick heartbeats common especially when tired or after consuming meals, which large amounts of carbs being particularly bad.
- Itchy skin with no rash present. On and off, mostly in the evenings and at night.
- Hard time losing weight despite eating mostly good food in reasonable amounts.

22 Symptoms of Gallbladder Disease:

1) Nausea and Vomiting: Any disruption in the digestive tract can result in a feeling of nausea and vomiting at times. This is a common issue with poor bile motility.

2) Fatty/Greasy Stools: Poor bile release leads to a failure to effectively emulsify fats in the diet and leads to undigested fat being excreted in the stool.

3) Pain Between the Shoulder Blades: The liver and gallbladder themselves do not feel pain, but the nerves that innervate them also go into the muscles in the back. In particular, the area just under the right shoulder blade.

4) Abdominal Pain: When the liver and gallbladder are inflamed, it can cause swelling, distension and pain throughout the abdominal region. Sometimes the whole rib cage will feel sore or just “awkward,” due to the distension.

5) Chronic Gas and Bloating: Poor bile production will lead to poor bowel motility and microbial overgrowth and fermentation. The fermentation process leads to gas production which can cause bloating and cramping.

6) Itchy Skin: This is also called pruritis. When the gallbladder is obstructed it leads to a rise in a compound called autotaxin (ATX) and lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) which causes the characteristic itching (7).

7) Yellowing of the Skin: Bilirubin is a yellow pigment and when the body is unable to metabolize bilirubin effectively, it ends up seeping into the tissues near the skin. This is a condition called jaundice.

8) Headaches and Migraines: Gall bladder congestion can cause stress on the body and more gut based inflammation. Both of these mechanisms can increase tension in the blood supply around the skull and brain and lead to headaches and migraines.

9) Constipation and Diarrhea: Poor bile motility will slow down the peristaltic action of the intestines resulting in a greater degree of constipation and often times alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation.

10) Light Colored Stools: The bilirubin in bile helps to create the classic browning of the stool. If you are noticing lighter colored stools frequently it may be due to poor bile function.

11) Sexual Dysfunction: Sluggish biliary function can cause a decrease in overall sex hormone balance as the liver metabolizes the steroid hormones estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. As a result, the individual may have issues with menstrual function, sexual function and fertility.

12) Bitter Taste in Mouth: This will often happen after meals and is due to bile regurgitation.

13) Fibromyalgia: This condition of chronic pain is often due in part to low hydrochloric acid and a sluggish liver and gallbladder.

14) Hypothyroidism: Individuals with hypothyroidism will typically have a sluggish biliary system. It is hard to say what comes first, but they do feed into each other.

15) Loss of Hunger: A feeling of constant fullness is often a sign of a sluggish digestive system and that includes biliary stasis.

16) Dry Skin and Hair: Poor fatty acid absorption will result in poor fatty acid utilization and fat soluble vitamin deficiencies (A, E, D & K). This can lead to dry, scaly skin and hair thinning and dryness among other problems.

17) Chemical Sensitivities: Individuals who have a greater reaction to chemicals are often plagued by a sluggish liver and biliary system.

18) History of Prescription, Over The Counter or Illegal Drug Use: These can all place undue stress on the liver and cause it to be overburdened, which also leads into biliary stasis.

19) Weight Loss Resistance: If we cannot metabolize fatty acids well than we cannot use the calories they provide which will then cause our blood sugar to be unstable. Blood sugar instability will cause hormonal changes leading to weight loss resistance.

20) Skin Rashes: Sluggish bile leads to leaky gut syndrome. When the gut is insulted it releases substance P which when elevated in the bloodstream can cause rash and eczema reactions in the skin.

21) Constant Runny Nose: This can indicate a need for bile salts.

22) IT Band Pain: The iliotibial (IT) band runs from the lateral side of the hip down to the lateral side of the knee. This band can often be very tight and painful in individuals with gallbladder dysfunction.

25 Ways to Improve GallBladder Health

Gallbladder and heart palpitations can be related to each other. Heart and gallbladder are related via “vagus nerve”. Also called “the wandering nerve” vagus nerve is a cranial nerve, that goes from the brain to the heart and stomach, and works by sending signals to the brain about how these organs are doing.

Some gallbladder problems, like cholecystectomy, cause indigestion. This is due to the improper bile release in the intestines after eating. Indigestion increases the pressure within the intestines causing thus, irritation of the vagus nerve. Being irritated, it cannot function properly and fails to transmit crucial neurotransmitters to the heart, which help in lowering its rate.

Also, indigestion causes an increase in the intestinal blood flow, causing the heart to beat faster. The increased heart can be perceived as palpitations.

johnysummer

I had severe insomnia some months ago. Now I have almost completely recovered from that doing sleeps better that I used to even before but I want to improve my sleep further. It all came down to me to stress hormones specially cortisol, I now that because the days I trained very intensely I wasnt able to sleep. The early waking and not being able to fall back to sleep is the harder issue to resolve I think, its due to low liver glycogen for sure becasue I remember when I woke and eat a tbps of honey and some salt in water I was able to sleep again in the morning otherwise I was not.
These things completely solved my insomnia and it was really severe:

1)High calories, mainly solid foods, make sure to get every day your macros and micros, dont eat gut irritating foods, pack on white rice (dont drink milk if its irritating and dont drink it near sleep)
2)Magnesium bicarbonate, make your own with magnesium hydroxide and carbonated water and get a high dose like 1g daily
3)Cacao butter (one the best anti-anxiety, anti-cortisol stuff)
4)Chamomile tea 30-60 minutes before bed (increases glycine production, increases gaba, anti-estrogen)

My insomnia got progressively better in the context of 1 month or so. From 3-4 hours of sleep per day I know sleep at least 7:30 hours at night and get a 30 minute power nap in the afternoon. Your will overall feel the stress hormones drop significantly. I was able to do that while having major life issues causing me anxiety at the same time so these stuff worked wonders for me.

PS
The extra benefit was getting shredded without actually training XD.

OP
S

Sven

Thanks, those are some interesting insights.

johnysummer

Yes, supplement big dose of magnesium if you have gone through any kind of stress, more over a period of insomnia, it’s a sure thing that you lost a lot of magnesium. It just makes a tremendous difference in terms of reducing cortisol response and stress levels in general.