Towards Ending Migraines

OP
T

tara

@tara, have you ever tried a diet along these lines?
Hi blob,
Thanks for the thought. I haven't managed to read the full papers, just the abstracts.
I have never tried a really rigorous systematic exclusion-reintroduction diet for a wide range of foods at once.
Mainly because of a combination of factors like:
- hunger being a major trigger
- hard to figure out any safe foods that I could eat enough of to sustain me through eliminating lots of other foods for an extended period
- concerns that deficiencies from exclusions could confuse the process
- time and energy to make it happen
- all the other confounding parameters that are not always nnin my control - life, sleep, weather, etc
- motivation

I have at times tried omitting for extended periods a number of foods that are sometimes associated with triggering migraines for some people, including wheat, gluten, chocolate, cheese, tomatoes, garlic, and since I get other noticable symptoms from it in large quantities, milk.

Kelly

Hi Tara:

It's been awhile since I've been on the forum and I'm wondering how your migraines are going?

I couldn't handle mine anymore, after 4+ years of 2-7 per month I went to the doctor (this was in March). They gave me a triptan, Maxalt. Amazingly enough, after that visit I didn't get a migraine for OVER A MONTH. I could hardly believe it. 2 things that were different that month, (1) I was just getting over the flu and had chest congestion for that month so was taking Guaifenesin regularly, and (2) I had a crazy craving for potatoes and ate 1-3 everyday (with lots of salt and butter) for most of that month. I should probably try both again by themselves, but I'm afraid since I no longer have the potato craving it won't be effective this time. But at least it can't hurt.

When I did get a migraine I took half of a Maxalt and it took the pain away in a half hour. It continues to be effective, thank goodness.

I also eliminated many foods which are on migraine trigger lists I found. Anything with MSG, of course, with the various names it can be under. Also some foods considered Peaty. Liver I knew, because as delicious as it was and as much energy as it gave me, I always got a migraine after having it. Broth and gelatin, as anything that is cooked for a long time can be problematic. Citrus fruits. Most cheeses. (I still eat lots of cottage cheese, that's not a problem, thank goodness.) For the past 3 months this has gotten me down to only 2 migraines per month, shortly after ovulation and when my period starts.

How about you? Any recent successes?

achillea

Has anyone treated the migraine as a fungal growth in the sinuses and used nasosympatico?

Xisca

I still believe all that triggers is a trigger and not always a cause.
If rain triggers a leak, you can try stopping the rain but you can also repair the roof!
Loosening muscles with work on muscular chains by myotherapy does remove all type of migraines by relaxing muscles and permiting blood to go up without blocking at the base of the neck. If you can relate your tentions with the side where you get migraines, this will show you some hope with such methods maybe?

I am trying bates method too, and start to get results, and my headaches were related to my eyes. Today I have some starting headache, from insecticide smoke. Some people are sensitive to chemicals, and also EMF triggers headaches.

Of course it is also interresting to know ones triggers and be careful, I always tried to avoid bad digestion at the same time as end of cycle!

Kelly

I still believe all that triggers is a trigger and not always a cause.
If rain triggers a leak, you can try stopping the rain but you can also repair the roof!
Loosening muscles with work on muscular chains by myotherapy does remove all type of migraines by relaxing muscles and permiting blood to go up without blocking at the base of the neck. If you can relate your tentions with the side where you get migraines, this will show you some hope with such methods maybe?

I am trying bates method too, and start to get results, and my headaches were related to my eyes. Today I have some starting headache, from insecticide smoke. Some people are sensitive to chemicals, and also EMF triggers headaches.

Of course it is also interresting to know ones triggers and be careful, I always tried to avoid bad digestion at the same time as end of cycle!

99% of the time my migraines are on the right side, behind my ear down to the muscle between my neck and shoulder. Massaging it then putting some Stopain analgesic rub there usually helps a lot. So I figured a massager would help even more. However, when I tried that it gave me even more migraines. I feel that massage dilates the blood vessels and therefore creates a headache, but this is maybe just the result of the stronger mechanical massager, vs just rubbing it myself when I'm getting a migraine.

99% of the time my migraines are on the right side, behind my ear down to the muscle between my neck and shoulder. Massaging it then putting some Stopain analgesic rub there usually helps a lot. So I figured a massager would help even more. However, when I tried that it gave me even more migraines. I feel that massage dilates the blood vessels and therefore creates a headache, but this is maybe just the result of the stronger mechanical massager, vs just rubbing it myself when I'm getting a migraine.

Look up cervicogenic headache. Nutrition has helped mine. And Cured My Headaches

nerfherder

Look up cervicogenic headache. Nutrition has helped mine. And Cured My Headaches
Gosh this reminds me. I remember who it was who first mentioned cervicogenic headaches here that I read - it was you, @ecstatichamster - boy was that a godsend.

Learning Peat's ways helped improve my base level of health and the severity of headaches dropped, but once I learned about this type of headache things got better much faster. The typical symptoms matched mine perfectly. The exercises to prevent it helped a little but the big gain was changing my head position when I slept to bring it back and more tucked in. If I mess up my sleep position I feel the tension in the night and have to fight the onset of the headache all day. I also spend time working on posture while driving or seated at the computer to help prevent the onset.

After about five years of migraines I now have nothing that could be called a migraine and only occasional headaches that I can much better tolerate or use aspiring to diminish.

So do look in to cervicogenic headaches, @Kelly.

And thanks a million to @ecstatichamster. It has been a good year.

So glad @nerfherder

I on,y rarely get headaches and aspirin gets rid of them now. Before this it was a many year nightmare with terrible headaches for days or weeks at a time.

nerfherder

I had been meaning to say something for months. I'm getting so much more done. 90%+ of the time there is no tension at all in my head. I never thought I would have days like this again. It feels like I lost a few years there.

Xisca

So I figured a massager would help even more. However, when I tried that it gave me even more migraines. I feel that massage dilates the blood vessels and therefore creates a headache
You are absolutely right, and it even confirm that the problem comes from tense muscles! If you stretch a muscle that is tense at autonomic level, then it creates a reaction of tensing more just afterward! Any myotherapy method does the reverse, by doing a passive shortening of the muscles, but on the postural chains, not only the muslces close to your neck. The whole process lure the brain into thinking that there is no more pulling on the muscles, and thus no more need to contract!

OP
T

tara

I thought I'd updated and replied to some of you a while ago - must have lost it before posting or something. Thanks all for your thoughts. Will try to post more fully and actually post beofere losing it next time.

For now, I'm just wanting to stick in a link to remind myself of acetaldehyde as a possible component of migraine mechanism:
Acetaldehyde As A Cause For Chronic Migraines In Candida Patients

OP
T

tara

Not to derail the thread, but I was curious about your personal experience with dairy, and what your reasons for avoiding it were. What methods do you use to ensure adequate protein intake? A mixture of meat/seafood/eggs?
I think I've written more elsewhere before, but the short version is that dairy in the many forms I've tried seems to make me feel unwell, including serious brain fog. Could be a personal allergy to the proteins and/or maybe I'm particularly sensitive to the casomorpins or something. Currently mostly trying to avoid it rather than add other substances to mitigate effects.

For protein I eat beef, lamb, fish, shellfish, potatoes and other roots, fruit, leaves and other veges, sometimes jellies, sometimes other things. Was eating eggs regularly, currently not so many.
I supplement calcium.

Last edited:
OP
T

tara

Any updates?
I'm using pharmaceuticals to manage the frequent migraines I still get. Still a problem. The drugs mean I'm suffering much less severe pain, and duration is much shorter, but I'm concerned whether the drugs might have long term effects.

I'm trying to minimise dairy, chocolate, wheat, tinned tomato puree/paste, excessive refined sucrose.
Mostly eat ok, lots of fruit, veges, roots, meat , fish, some rice etc.
Supplementing Mg, Ca, Zn, Vit-C, B-vits, occasional vit-K2.
Would be good if I could get enough exercise, sleep, relief from life stress, etc.

Too much else going on in my life to do all the other things I think might be helpful.

How about you?

casomorpins
sp *casomorphins

Douglas Ek

Re: towards ending migraines - which drugs in meantime?

I'm putting most of my effort into solving the causes. But in the meantime, I'm also interested in figuring out how to minimise harm from treating migraines - which medicines are likely to do the least long term damage?

In the past I have tried:
- Suffering without drugs - I don't have the stamina to withstand this for more than a few hours, let alone 3 days. I have young children to care for so can't generally go out of action for 3 days.
- Ibuprofen can sometimes interrupt in early stages, or else slightly reduce pain . What are the long term consequences of lots of ibuprofen?
- Aspirin - not usually as effective at interrupting migraine, and not much noticible effect after migraine under way. Seems relatively benign/helpful for long term health.
- Paracetamol - I have used this together with ibuprofen to increase effect. But I'm reluctant to continue it, because I gather it's a significant burden on the liver.
- Metoclopramide + paracetamol against nausea. I've used these to help absorb sumatriptan, especially if I risk not holding it down. But I'm now wary of continuing it - forgotten what I read about it increasing some antimetabolic substance - serotonin? NO?
- Triptans - the only thing so far that stops the pain effectively. I usu use sumatriptan. Often get migraine returning in a few hours, sometimes before I'm supposed to take more. I have used rizatriptan a few times when I can't keep anything in my stomach, but the rebound migraines come back harder and faster. Generally I have to be able to sleep when I take either of these - can't continue functioning for a few hours. Sometimes one dose is enough, sometimes I take up to 9 doses over 3 days. I haven't found a clear explanation of how they work, but some hints they may increase serotonin, which I guess is bad long term? Anyone know?

I've tried preventive betablockers - propranolol, nadolol - slowed heartrate, reduced stamina - felt like I'd pass out if my heart rate went up to 135. Not effective against migraine - though that could have been because I had to take them 3xday adnd sometimes missed by a few hours. Tried low dose amityptiline - didn't really feel myself. Not particularly effective.

Will discuss cyproheptadine with doctor next time. I've read that some people can stop an attack with one or two doses. Don't know how common this is. Some people take it long term preventatively - I'm a bit wary of taking anything continuously - what are the downsides from long-term use? From Haidut's thread about it, I gather it has a bunch of potentially positive long term effects.

Any more information/recommendations about migraine drugs from Peatish perspective welcome.
Ta,
Tara.

I feel for you. I’m male and have migraines not as often as you though but it happens. Regarding what to take when they come in my opinion naproxen 500mg combined with paracetamol 1Gram is good. If you have to resort to triptans I tend to break one tablet in half or even 1/4 and take that specially if it haven’t really started as a preventative. In my opinion you get just as much relief as a full tablet just a lot less side effects. If I take full tablet it can give me muscle tension and extreme restlessness almost as bad as the headache. Anything with ginger in it seems to be amazing for migraines if you never tried. The best is to actually buy ginger root and take a big bite of it and chew it down with some OJ. Its better than triptans and there’s studies demonstrating this. Google ”ginger migraine NCBI”. Massage is another thing that defo works. So maybe its worth to go have one once in awhile. As to the science from what I’ve understood anything that increases calcitonin related gene protein CGPR will trigger migraines. Estrogen and serotonin plays a role in this. Usually not excess but larger fluctations of levels. Estrogen affects serotonin receptors that then sensitize the trigeminal nerve around the face to pain through CGPR release. That’s why there’s this new IV medicine you can get that is just an CGPR inhibitor and it really works. Of course its expensive though. But estrogen in my belief is a big trigger. Since migraines more common in women I believe it’s due to periods and cycles messing with estrogen as most women get relief from migraines at menopause. It’s not due to excess estrogen as exemestane an estrogen inhibitor triggers migraines in my like clockwork everytime. And if it was due to excess estrogen then it would give relief not trigger them. Anyway back to CGPR. There’s something called dragons blood seems interesting it’s a red liquid from a type of tree in south american that can inhibit CGPR. You could buy and try that. And like I said try consume lots of ginger it really works wonders for me. Side note just found a research saying ginger inhibits CGRP:
Impact of Food Components on in vitro Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide Secretion-A Potential Mechanism for Dietary Influence on Migraine. - PubMed - NCBI

Grape Pomace also CGPR inhibitor.

Check this out is supposed to be strongest natural CGRP inhibitor:
Natural, Plant-based CGRP Receptor Antagonists for Migraine Relief - Part 1 | SimplyWell Migraine Relief

Last edited:

Douglas Ek

I'm using pharmaceuticals to manage the frequent migraines I still get. Still a problem. The drugs mean I'm suffering much less severe pain, and duration is much shorter, but I'm concerned whether the drugs might have long term effects.

I'm trying to minimise dairy, chocolate, wheat, tinned tomato puree/paste, excessive refined sucrose.
Mostly eat ok, lots of fruit, veges, roots, meat , fish, some rice etc.
Supplementing Mg, Ca, Zn, Vit-C, B-vits, occasional vit-K2.
Would be good if I could get enough exercise, sleep, relief from life stress, etc.

Too much else going on in my life to do all the other things I think might be helpful.

How about you?

sp *casomorphins

Also beware of overusing painkillers as you get stuck in rebound headaches

OP
T

tara

If you have to resort to triptans I tend to break one tablet in half or even 1/4 and take that specially if it haven’t really started as a preventative.
Yes, I've got 100mg tablets, but usually 50mg is enough, and sometimes 25mg if I can get it at the right time. 25 mg is less incapacitating. I do only want to take it when I'm sure it's got to a point of no return, though. I've not tried naproxen, but I've tried other antiinflammatories with paracetamol. They used to sometimes stop them, now they seldom do. Did you find naproxen more effective than ibuprofen and the others?

Previous experiments with ginger have been ineffective. I'll try chomping on ginger root. :)
I'll look up the dragon's blood.
I'm thinking to wait till the new CGRP inhibitor drugs have been out a bit longer before following that up.
Thanks for the ideas.

Also beware of overusing painkillers as you get stuck in rebound headaches
Yes, thanks. I am concerned about the risk of overuse of medicine headaches, but at a loss about how to avoid overuse. I'm currently using mostly the daily prophylactic and abortant triptan, and less of the anti-inflammatories and/or paracetamol. I don't know what the relative risks are between all of these. I now probably hooked on at least two drugs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals