Allergic To Sunshine? Is D3 Causing Mg Deficiency, Migraines?

Nikki

I thought I was getting over migraines as the past several months have been fairly migraine free (from 20 days a month to 2 or 3 days at the onset of my cycle). During the couple months that I may have been pregnant, I had no migraines. I am not sure the significance of this. Prior to this I was supplementing with Progest E and still had migraines frequently. If I was in bright sunlight a migraine would come on within 20 minutes (mild at first, only become debilitating if I stayed in the sun). I recently read that supplementing D3 can cause Mg deficiency. If this is happening, am I technically allergic/hypersensitive to sunlight because its causing Mg deficiency?

My migraines can be remedied with Magnesium and DMSO applied topically. It can be a bit uncomfortable. Some/complete reliefe is felt within 30 minutes, but that's the rub. I have to wait 30 mintues to know if it worked and if it wasn't enough, I apply again and "wait" again. Usually while waiting, I take a nap. Usually when napping, I am out for 1-2 hours and by then my day is pretty much wasted. So these "mild" migraines (very easily can turn into severe ones if I don't treat promptly), disabled me for much of the last few year. several yeas ago, for a few years, I had kept them away completely with oral magnesium supplements. However, I changed the form of magnesium used and eventually the migraines were back. I could not remember what form I had taken initially which seemed to cure the issue.

I now take magnesium threonate 3-4 caps a day (recommended is 3 caps). They have a low Mg content, but are reportedly more assimilable. I was also taking 250 mg of mag citrate at night and could not take more of that due to bowel upset and feeling too tired, I happened to get my monthly migraine just before I had my appointment with a new ND last week. She gave me a magnesium shot (200mg) and said it would help in about 20 minutes. I waited about 30 mintues and had maybe a bit a relief but 30 minutes later I was sure I was just as bad off if not worse off because I was trying to do things around the house.

I would love to know how to fix this. I will get IV Mg ifusions if this will help. I need something. The sunny weather is back, and I need to be able to go outdoors for my work.

I have been taking D-complex since about september, but the headaches haven't been any worse since taking this. That said, I have also been getting a lot less sunlight since its been a cool/cloudy winter (for san diego).

Anyone know the best way to get magnesium levels up without sides? Do you think this is truly the issue?

thanks in advance for your helpful words.

Last edited:

Vanced

I haven't got a solution for you I'm afraid, but I also cannot tolerate sunlight or vitamin D supplements.

Sun exposure or taking a vitamin D supplement causes edema, fatigue, dry skin/hair, weight gain, brain fog, muscular weakness - the list goes on.

People think I'm crazy when I say I'm allergic to vitamin D, however I have tested it multiple times and am 100% sure. I never used to have these problems but it coincided with my thyroid packing up some years ago, such a shame as I love the sun :(

OP
N

Nikki

Oh my.

I had forgotten I had previously "cured" (minimized greatly) the warmth/sun intolerance with electrolyte sport drinks. I am not so sure magnesium is the primary helpful factor. The content is low and the included calcium would seemingly cancel the magnesium out, but the combination of ingredients worked for me. The only problem is having to tinkle every 20-60 minutes.

Before I remembered to drink electrolytes for relief, I spent one day last week with sunscreen on all exposed areas of skin (hands, feet, neck, face) and a large brimmed sun hat. "Covering up" seems to have less effect than drinking the electrolytes.

Maybe this info would help someone else. Yhickfoe, I am sorry you are experiencing such n intolerance. Have you tried drinking a lot of electrolyte solution on sunny days?

=====

Mito

I now take magnesium threonate 3-4 caps a day (recommended is 3 caps). They have a low Mg content, but are reportedly more assimilable.
Magnesium l-threonate is different than other magnesium supplements in that it has been shown to cross the blood brain barrier in animal (rat) experiments.

Magnesium is primarily an intracellular mineral. Ray says that good thyroid function is needed for cells to retain magnesium. Have you ever done a RBC (red blood cell) magnesim test? That test can give you a good idea of your "intracellular" magnesium status.

Amazoniac

Nikki, check this doctor. Her main focus is sleep and vit D. She started giving supplements to patients and they started improving, however it got to a point where their health started to deteriorate. Even if you believe that it was due to vit D not being properly balanced with other fat-soluble vitamins, she was able to attenuate the condition with b-complex supplementation regardless of that. It's all discussed in those links.

Apparently potassium is required during repletion of many long-term deficiencies:
I also learned today that when you start taking high doses of B12, such as injection of sublingual, you can experience unpleasantness because the increase of B12 causes the body to make new blood cells, which robs the potassium from your serum, and since potassium is not stored in the organs for backup, extra potassium must be taken in order to assist in repair of the systems damaged by the B12 deficiency. Vitamin B12 deficiency - Wikipedia "Hypokalemia, an excessively low potassium level in the blood, is anecdotally reported as a complication of vitamin B12 repletion after deficiency. Excessive quantities of potassium are used by newly growing and dividing hematopoietic cells, depleting circulating stores of the mineral."

Last edited:

Peatful

Oh my.

I had forgotten I had previously "cured" (minimized greatly) the warmth/sun intolerance with electrolyte sport drinks. I am not so sure magnesium is the primary helpful factor. The content is low and the included calcium would seemingly cancel the magnesium out, but the combination of ingredients worked for me. The only problem is having to tinkle every 20-60 minutes.

Before I remembered to drink electrolytes for relief, I spent one day last week with sunscreen on all exposed areas of skin (hands, feet, neck, face) and a large brimmed sun hat. "Covering up" seems to have less effect than drinking the electrolytes.

Maybe this info would help someone else. Yhickfoe, I am sorry you are experiencing such n intolerance. Have you tried drinking a lot of electrolyte solution on sunny days?

=====

Wonder how much this is a blood sugar issue? Being in the sun requires energy.

.02$

OP
N

Nikki

Magnesium l-threonate is different than other magnesium supplements in that it has been shown to cross the blood brain barrier in animal (rat) experiments.

Magnesium is primarily an intracellular mineral. Ray says that good thyroid function is needed for cells to retain magnesium. Have you ever done a RBC (red blood cell) magnesim test? That test can give you a good idea of your "intracellular" magnesium status.

I had not heard of this test and hank you for making me aware of it.

@ Tim- progest E didn't seem to help much but I couldnt take it very long because using it (perhaps improperly) caused spider veins.

@Peatful- I have tested blood glucose on occasion to see if headache was hypoglycemia induced. I had normal levels.

OP
N

Nikki

Nikki, check this doctor. Her main focus is sleep and vit D. She started giving supplements to patients and they started improving, however it got to a point where their health started to deteriorate. Even if you believe that it was due to vit D not being properly balanced with other fat-soluble vitamins, she was able to attenuate the condition with b-complex supplementation regardless of that. It's all discussed in those links.

Apparently potassium is required during repletion of many long-term deficiencies:

This is helpful. Thank you! I have had low potassium for a few years, perhaps coinciding with onset of the frequent migraines. I took sublingual b 12 today and felt much worse than expected! when I injected it once,
I was very sick. I cant remember the specific sensation, but remember thinking I should never take it by injection again.

I have the MTHFR genes and have read that b6 and b 12 should not be supplemented unless done with great caution as they aren't metabolized the same way in MTHFRs and can cause some dangerous effects. My ND said I should take b12, so I just started again. RP seemed to think the mutation is not a significant cause of health issues, so I'm not sure what to think. its difficult to process info when head hurts. it literally hurts to focus on new information. not sure why that is.

I will check that doctors page out when my head feels better. I got too much sun today... or too little powerade. I'm just a little miserable, but it hurts to look at the screen (my typing is probably horrendous, sorry). I look forward to reading that tomorrow. thanks again to you and all who have offered their help =)

Amazoniac

This is helpful. Thank you! I have had low potassium for a few years, perhaps coinciding with onset of the frequent migraines. I took sublingual b 12 today and felt much worse than expected! when I injected it once,
I was very sick. I cant remember the specific sensation, but remember thinking I should never take it by injection again.

I have the MTHFR genes and have read that b6 and b 12 should not be supplemented unless done with great caution as they aren't metabolized the same way in MTHFRs and can cause some dangerous effects. My ND said I should take b12, so I just started again. RP seemed to think the mutation is not a significant cause of health issues, so I'm not sure what to think. its difficult to process info when head hurts. it literally hurts to focus on new information. not sure why that is.

I will check that doctors page out when my head feels better. I got too much sun today... or too little powerade. I'm just a little miserable, but it hurts to look at the screen (my typing is probably horrendous, sorry). I look forward to reading that tomorrow. thanks again to you and all who have offered their help =)
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/vitamin-a-blocks-the-hypercalcemia-from-vitamin-d.5809/

Lucenzo01

Vitamin A in high doses is necessary when sunlight/vitamin D3 is present. Peat talked about how vitamin D3 increase the metabolism and vitamin A is usually the limiting factor. And there are studies showing how Vitamin A prevents vitamin D toxicity and viceversa. And K2 is extremely important too, preventing soft tissue calcification, so you should take some of it with D and A.

Mito

I have the MTHFR genes and have read that b6 and b 12 should not be supplemented unless done with great caution as they aren't metabolized the same way in MTHFRs and can cause some dangerous effects.
If you know your 23andMe SNPs you can optimize your B12 supplement form (Methyl, Adenosyl, Hydroxy). Tyw suggested this guide (see page 10) https://www.knowyourgenetics.com/media/pdf/Simplified Protocol.pdf for choosing the best form of B12 for your SNPs. Tyw's post on the subject is here: MTHFR Mutations AND Thiamine-Responsive Megaloblastic Anemia

OP
N

Nikki

@Amazoniac I didn't find a doctor's webpage at the link provided.
Was it supposed to be a link to a webpage?

Last edited:

Rickyman

I haven't got a solution for you I'm afraid, but I also cannot tolerate sunlight or vitamin D supplements.

Sun exposure or taking a vitamin D supplement causes edema, fatigue, dry skin/hair, weight gain, brain fog, muscular weakness - the list goes on.

People think I'm crazy when I say I'm allergic to vitamin D, however I have tested it multiple times and am 100% sure. I never used to have these problems but it coincided with my thyroid packing up some years ago, such a shame as I love the sun :(

Same here but also heat and cold I intolerant. I Will try what Nikki said about electrolytes.

OP
N

Nikki

Great news!!!

I used 99% DMSO and "pure magnesium oil" over (superficial to) my carotid arteries and nape of neck . This resulted in complete head relief in about 30 minutes. About 36 hrs later, i felt it return to a lesser degree and relief gradually lessened. I wanted to be sure it was the magnesium and DMSO that did the trick so I waited another day and let the pain return to moderate level before reapplying. The next treatment I used a lot less DMSO and mag oil, only putting a small stripe superficial to each carotid artery. It took a little longer to work but it did work. I did this treatment 3 times only. Each time the effect lasted longer. It seemed to increase brain magnesium levels to the point where I only needed to supplement orally (to the same degree i had been).

Using concentrated forms of these products can be pretty uncomfortable on your skin especially in the neck area. I Would not recommend jumping in with 99 percent DMSO or pure magnesium oil. I would have recommend working your way up. I had use both of these products all myself many times in Leicester concentration and I knew the consequences of applying it full strength. It was very uncomfortable for about 30 min but it was totally worth it!!

I'm just sharing my personal experiences. I don't recommend anybody try this without first discussing it with their healthcare provider. I personally feel DMSO is extremely safe and have used it on a daily basis for everything from an 18 year old cat to my 89 year old father. There are some studies to suggest it has potential for harn. DMSO can reduce or potentiate the effect of other drugs so one must be careful not using it if one is taking any pharmaceuticals or anything else which can have a negative outcome with an amplified effect. DMSO can lower t4 in hyperthyroid cats (in fairly high doses). I don't know if it lowers t4 from a healthy thyroid. I have a cat who's t4 levels were normal but she began displaying symptoms of hyper thyroid ism. I gave DMSO in meals for a few month and her symptoms lessenrd but T4 is still in the normal range. It may not be good product rely on for long term use if you can find relief with other methods. I don't mind using it often for my animals or myself, but I've done a lot of research and careful about what I combine it with. It is one of the few things I know of that can help nerves regenerate, so I always have a bottle on hand in case of stroke or other major neuologic event.
Side story:
The other night I rushed a pet to the ER I won't go into details but I'll tell you he was in need of help on an emergency basis. As expected, he failed his neurologic exam when the vet tech came in. The vet took so long to show up that I decided to part the dog's hair and apply DMSO to his spine. 15 minutes later, the dog was wagging his tail walking jumping and happy as can be. Another 15 minutes or so had passed before the vet came to examine him. He passed the neurologic exam w flying colors. He had no pain when she pressed on his spine and no symptoms at all. This is the second time I've seen this happen with a dog. I have avoided the use of steroids and NSAIDS and helped these dogs feel better in a matter of minutes instead of hours days or weeks.

BibleBeliever

Nothing Boring About Boron

Besides as suggested the K2 and vitamin a
Could be boron related; boron also required for vitamin d assimilation. Manganese antagonizes boron; so if one has a diet high in it, boron levels could be deficient.

"Similar results were seen in an open pilot study of middle-aged individuals (n = 13) predetermined to be vitamin D deficient (serum 25[OH]D3 < 12 ng/mL). Levels of 25(OH)D3 were studied during boron supplementation of 6 mg/d for 60 days using calcium fructoborate, Ca([C6H10O6]2B)2·4H2O, a boron-containing complex that occurs naturally in fruit.26 The study took place in Serbia with supplementation beginning in October and concluding by January; in other words, the study occurred during the fall transition to winter, a time when vitamin-D status would be expected to worsen. Yet, with boron supplementation, 25(OH)D3 levels rose significantly, with an average rise of 20%.27"

The above is extremely impressive; as vitamin d is just like thyroid and boron raises vitamin d status even in the winter with lack of sunlight.

"Magnesium Absorption
Boron significantly improves magnesium absorption and deposition in bone, yet another beneficial effect of boron’s inhibition of 17β-estradiol degradation. Thus, boron is a factor in magnesium’s myriad beneficial effects. Magnesium’s importance, in bone alone, is illustrative of the widespread ramifications of boron insufficiency."

Although it comes up that boron inhibits estrogen degrading; thus promoting it.
Estrogen doubles, but so does testosterone, in women at least:

"Regulation of Sex Hormones
Increased levels of sex steroids have been demonstrated in both men and women after boron supplementation.1,20 In 1987, Nielsen et al1 reported that dietary boron repletion in postmenopausal women (n = 13), who were previously on a low-boron diet, significantly increased their serum estradiol (E2) and testosterone levels, particularly for those women whose dietary intake of magnesium was low. In women on a low-magnesium diet, E2 almost doubled, increasing from an average of 21.1 pg/mL to 41.4 pg/mL. Testosterone more than doubled, rising from an average of 0.31 ng/mL to 0.83 ng/mL. Similar increases were seen in the women on an adequate-magnesium diet: E2 rose from an average of 15.5 pg/mL to 38.0 pg/mL, and testosterone increased from 0.38 ng/mL to 0.65 ng/mL. In 1997, Naghii et al21published findings of a similar increase in serum levels of E2 in healthy males (n = 18) after 4 weeks of dietary supplementation with boron."

In men estrogen lowered and testosterone increased:

"After only 1 week of boron supplementation of 6 mg/d, a further study by Naghii et al20 of healthy males (n = 8) found (1) a significant increase in free testosterone, which rose from an average of 11.83 pg/mL to 15.18 pg/mL; and (2) significant decreases in E2, which dropped from 42.33 pg/mL to 25.81 pg/mL. "

I know Ray doesn't recommend boron supplementation, so natural sources are prunes and raisins being the highest food sources; otherwise apples are a decent source.

Otherwise b6 has synergy with magnesium. I have noticed much better reactions to magnesium citrate when having it with b6.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nikki

Nothing Boring About Boron

Besides as suggested the K2 and vitamin a
Could be boron related; boron also required for vitamin d assimilation. Manganese antagonizes boron; so if one has a diet high in it, boron levels could be deficient.
...In men estrogen lowered and testosterone increased:
...Ray doesn't recommend boron supplementation, so natural sources are prunes and raisins being the highest food sources; otherwise apples are a decent source.

Otherwise b6 has synergy with magnesium. I have noticed much better reactions to magnesium citrate when having it with b6.
"

That is very useful information. I think apples will be my source of choice as I don't care for raisins unless they are in trail mix and prunes give my gut microbes too much fuel apparently.

I stopped taking b6 because it was part of my multi. My naturopath put me on a multivitamin with D and this triggered the "partying" (code word for headache suffering) again so I just stopped altogether. I haven't yet found a multi which is D free and has the right forms of B6 and B12. Is there one you can recommend?

Thanks again!

BibleBeliever

"

That is very useful information. I think apples will be my source of choice as I don't care for raisins unless they are in trail mix and prunes give my gut microbes too much fuel apparently.

I stopped taking b6 because it was part of my multi. My naturopath put me on a multivitamin with D and this triggered the "partying" (code word for headache suffering) again so I just stopped altogether. I haven't yet found a multi which is D free and has the right forms of B6 and B12. Is there one you can recommend?

Thanks again!

Applesauce is the recommendation here, due to pectin in the apple fibers. I buy my apples at the farmers market; half a bushel. Sometimes peel them and cook them to make my own. It's close to 40 cents a lb buying them in bulk.

I am no fan of multis, as many vitamins can be harmful, even b12 depending on the form. Many contain iron too, which usually is in excess.

B6 is safe is the p5p format; I think 50mg-100 mg a day is considered to have no risks. Too high of an amount for a prolonged period (I think they were speaking 500mg-1 gram in the non p5p format) can cause nerve damage/tingling.

I get one made from a company named Bell; the health store here sells it for 5.99 currently for 60 pills. It has 60mg, 40mg is p5p, 20 is the HCL format. It is a powder; since b-vitamins are water soluble (lost through urine), I open the capsule and pour out a bit with each meal to spread it out.

B6 combined with protein helps increase dopamine. It also helps convert tryptophan to niacin instead of serotonin. It also helps rid the body of excessive oxalates.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals