Migraines Situation: Environmental Connections?

Constatine

Can I ask what you think about the weather triggering migraine. I have one trigger...weather. So considering all these other factors, why isn't there chronic migraine going on, it's only the day before cloudy/raining/snowy weather.
I really don't know why some people get barometric pressure headaches only. Migraine sufferers typically have poorly functioning vascular systems in part because of high NO and low CO2. It is theorized that food triggers are due nitrate reducing microbes in the mouth or stomach that lead to increase nitric oxide when certain foods are eaten. I would consider this one of the major causes of chronic migraines. One who is susceptible to barometric pressure headaches likely just have a high NO to CO2 ratio (and thus cannot adapt to the changes in pressure) but do not have such microbes. That is just a wild guess though.

kaybb

I really don't know why some people get barometric pressure headaches only. Migraine sufferers typically have poorly functioning vascular systems in part because of high NO and low CO2. It is theorized that food triggers are due nitrate reducing microbes in the mouth or stomach that lead to increase nitric oxide when certain foods are eaten. I would consider this one of the major causes of chronic migraines. One who is susceptible to barometric pressure headaches likely just have a high NO to CO2 ratio (and thus cannot adapt to the changes in pressure) but do not have such microbes. That is just a wild guess though.
Bag breathing is definitely one of my favorite things and feel I need more of it with a migraine. Thanks for your info. Botox helps some people and I am about to try it after many years of failing with other treatments . What's your take on botox?

kaybb

I'm not Constatine, but there is a particular weather pattern that seems to make me more prone to migraine too. I've been assuming it's an effect of change in atmospheric pressure that some of us are less resilient in adapting out vascular systems to.
Thanks Tara. I have been wondering about you and if your migraines have improved ? Have you tried botox? I'm desperate, and ready to try it.

tara

Thanks Tara. I have been wondering about you and if your migraines have improved ? Have you tried botox? I'm desperate, and ready to try it.
Hi kaybb,
Meaning to update my thread.
Short summary:
Still many migraines, but with current habits , supplements and medicines, I'm aborting them and recovering quicker. Started topiramate as preventive a few months ago. Still use sumatriptan as abortant regularly. Lose 2-4 hours often, but whole days seldom, and usually manage to medicate before intolerable pain.

I've not tried botox. I'm a bit sceptical, and still have other things to try first, but not necessarily completely ruling it out.

I'll try to give a fuller update in the next couple of days.

Sorry yours are getting you so bad.

kaybb

Hi kaybb,
Meaning to update my thread.
Short summary:
Still many migraines, but with current habits , supplements and medicines, I'm aborting them and recovering quicker. Started topiramate as preventive a few months ago. Still use sumatriptan as abortant regularly. Lose 2-4 hours often, but whole days seldom, and usually manage to medicate before intolerable pain.

I've not tried botox. I'm a bit sceptical, and still have other things to try first, but not necessarily completely ruling it out.

I'll try to give a fuller update in the next couple of days.

Sorry yours are getting you so bad.
So good to hear of your improvement ....hoping for even more . Ya, I do good if I can continue the Trudenta treatments. Most success with Trudenta . Just hard to keep them up because of necessary travel to the location. So for the original poster, if you live close to a Trudenta headache treatment center, it's definitely worth a try. It's the only thing that really worked for me and took away the vertigo I had with migraines, along with migraines. Vertigo is still gone, even after almost a year of finishing treatment. Search internet under Trudenda Headache treatment.

Constatine

Bag breathing is definitely one of my favorite things and feel I need more of it with a migraine. Thanks for your info. Botox helps some people and I am about to try it after many years of failing with other treatments . What's your take on botox?
I don't like the idea of botox very much. It is literally injecting a neurotoxin. Also I think it is treating the symptom and not the cause. When you do this problems can always emerge.

tara

I don't like the idea of botox very much. It is literally injecting a neurotoxin. Also I think it is treating the symptom and not the cause. When you do this problems can always emerge.
Yeah, that's why it's a long way down my list. I'd have to be more desperate than I've been so far. Can't imagine using it for purely cosmetic reasons.

I do have concerns about regular use of the triptans, too - not sure what it's doing to my serotonin system - but it's the only way I've been managing to make life work ATM.

kaybb

Yes, Have been wanting to avoid & trying numerous alternatives over the years. I think the many many years of suffering are taking a toll. All the stress (from the pain) and couch life isn't working for me. Lately, I am in migraine or migraine wiped-out recovery. The Trudenta treatments worked...just can't drive to keep them up.

tara

The Trudenta treatments worked...just can't drive to keep them up.
Is the Trudenta treatment about relaxing the TMJ? Maybe there is something you can learn to do at home to help with this? Exercise, massage, heat treatment, structural support? (I don't have experience with this - for all my other contributing factors, I apparently don't tend to clench the TMJ.)

kaybb

Is the Trudenta treatment about relaxing the TMJ? Maybe there is something you can learn to do at home to help with this? Exercise, massage, heat treatment, structural support? (I don't have experience with this - for all my other contributing factors, I apparently don't tend to clench the TMJ.)
It is in the whelm of neck, face, head trigger points, all dealing with trigeminal nerve. Treatment begins with ultra sound treatment, on neck, and around jaw line and face area...doesn't hurt. Then trigger point therapy, and ends with mice current and laser treatment together. If you want you can choose to get a mouth guard. It's done in the US under a dentist. First appointment he doesn't all kinds of computer pictures and tests that he will compare progress, through the process. It's really successful....many positive testimonials in his practice alone. And now I am planning to get my tires wiped out self to the center.... maybe I can avoid botox if I can get back into treatments... I was on the "maintenance" plan and let it slip

kaybb

And Tara, I don't have TMJ but very sore under ears...where mumps show up. I had mumps younger and than soreness never went away completely. I wore the mouth guard just in case it would help. No I just tape my mouth...and thank you for recommending that on the forum:). Many benefits

tara

It is in the whelm of neck, face, head trigger points, all dealing with trigeminal nerve. Treatment begins with ultra sound treatment, on neck, and around jaw line and face area...doesn't hurt
Sounds like a really thorough going over glad it works for you. Be nice to find a way for you to maintain it more easily. Do you think there's a postural component that might respond to retraining?
There's no Trudenta anywhere near me. I've had someone work on some related trigger points a little, and have tried to learn some of them myself, but not applied myself with any consistency. I can imagine ultrasound might be helpful. I wonder if red or infrared light in the area might be useful too - easier DIY. Not sure what you mean by mice current. I've had very low tolerance for electrical current therapy in various areas.

chispas

Best migraine treatment for my partner is Lisuride. Kills the headache pain, lasts still for 2 hours. Better than Relpax, and I thought that was pretty effective.

I think there is some recent research showing ginger works. Try 1g at the onset of the migraine.

I think lactic acid is a big contributor, I would avoid yoghurt big time. I can't explain why, just anecdotal experience.

I noticed while my partner was pregnant she had no migraines for 9 months+. As soon as baby was born, a migraine started. I think that is good indication hormones are in play.

Perhaps high progesterone/pregnenolone could prevent them indefinitely? No idea.

Dave Clark

Looking at the long list of symptoms and treatments, I wonder if low dose antigen, or low dose immunotherapy (LDA or LDI) wouldn't be of value. Search Dr. Ty Vincent or Dr. Shrader. Dr. Vincent has had sucess with LDI where other modalities have failed.

Sucrates

Cold can increase serotonin release from platelets, which is strongly correlated with many types of primary headache, incl migraine w/aura.
Methysergide and pezotifen shown as effective prophylactic agents, along with lisuride and cyproheptadine. I'm doing some reading now on the subject, which is very complex, seems there are multiple brain regions that can cause migraine like symptoms due to dilation in the vessels. The predominance of serotonin receptors varies in these regions, so the effects of meds can vary a lot. Platelets dumping serotonin seems the initiatory factor in most cases though.

kaybb

Sounds like a really thorough going over glad it works for you. Be nice to find a way for you to maintain it more easily. Do you think there's a postural component that might respond to retraining?
There's no Trudenta anywhere near me. I've had someone work on some related trigger points a little, and have tried to learn some of them myself, but not applied myself with any consistency. I can imagine ultrasound might be helpful. I wonder if red or infrared light in the area might be useful too - easier DIY. Not sure what you mean by mice current. I've had very low tolerance for electrical current therapy in various areas.
MICRO CURRENT ! Sorry...not mice, haha. And micro current gave me worse headaches on its own years ago...but with this treatment...it doesn't, maybe combination is key. Yes on the red light...I need to order a light ! And I know a massage therapist that says she has many clients that come for massages to keep their migraines under control. Unfortunately she lives 4 hrs away ! But I do feel a good neck& head massage and/or trigger point therapy is on the hope list. Maybe that before botox :)

Earthling

I have suffered migraines since childhood. My journey is a long one on many fronts. I found this to be the most effective tool besides watching my blood sugar and cutting out sugar from my diet. Tinted lenses. It seems too simple for words but the research is sound. Game changer for me. I have FL-41 tint now and also a better quality prescription lenses. Had 10% purple tint on cheap glasses and it also seemed to help. Great data about the research out there. Computer, LED lights, blue photons galor and how it triggers a migraine response. Amazing how a light photon fires off so many things.
Light Sensitivity Plays a Role in Migraines -- Even in the Blind.

kaybb

I have suffered migraines since childhood. My journey is a long one on many fronts. I found this to be the most effective tool besides watching my blood sugar and cutting out sugar from my diet. Tinted lenses. It seems too simple for words but the research is sound. Game changer for me. I have FL-41 tint now and also a better quality prescription lenses. Had 10% purple tint on cheap glasses and it also seemed to help. Great data about the research out there. Computer, LED lights, blue photons galor and how it triggers a migraine response. Amazing how a light photon fires off so many things.
Light Sensitivity Plays a Role in Migraines -- Even in the Blind.
Worth a try for sure