Topical Absorption Of Caffeine?

donald bathe

can pure caffeine powder be added to an extra large band aid and be put on the skin so it can be absorbed to the bloodstream or not? what i mean is this, Caffeine Patches (Transdermal Caffeine) if i want to make my own patches to have at least 200-300 milligrams of pure caffeine powder will it work or not? on the link someone said this,
Ordinary Caffine does not pass the dermal barriers very well. The average particle size is around 100 microns, in order to pass through the skin in this way it would need to be less than 20. it's POSSIBLE but not easy and not cheap.

how can it be done in such a way that it will be potent but not lethal like a strong cup of ground roast coffee assuming it could be done? can someone please tell me. thank you.

CKA

Maybe dissolve in vodka or apply with dmso. If caffeine can't really absorb, I don't know how people are reportedly getting results applying to hair.

OP
D

donald bathe

Maybe dissolve in vodka or apply with dmso. If caffeine can't really absorb, I don't know how people are reportedly getting results applying to hair.
what is dmso? how to dissolve in vodka and make it potent but not lethal? rsvp.

OP
D

donald bathe

It works with ethanol as a solvent.
what do you mean that it works with ethanol as a solvent? but in what manner? what type of ethanol? how to mix ethanol to make it a solvent? if you say that it works, will it be like drinking a strong cup of coffee? rsvp.

DaveFoster

what do you mean that it works with ethanol as a solvent? but in what manner? what type of ethanol? how to mix ethanol to make it a solvent? if you say that it works, will it be like drinking a strong cup of coffee? rsvp.
Caffeine powder + 80 proof vodka = *rub on skin* absorption

tara

how can it be done in such a way that it will be potent but not lethal l
I can't speak to how much would be absorbed, but you can presumably avoid lethal overdose by not applying more than you can afford to absorb, eg work up gradually to see how it affects you, to a possible max of around 200mg at a dose.
Vodka contains ethanol.

OP
D

donald bathe

I can't speak to how much would be absorbed, but you can presumably avoid lethal overdose by not applying more than you can afford to absorb, eg work up gradually to see how it affects you, to a possible max of around 200mg at a dose.
Vodka contains ethanol.
so then what youre saying is that its a matter of trial and error then? if thats the case then why do some people claim that caffeine absorption on the skin isnt that effective then? rsvp.

DaveFoster

and how potent do you think that this will be? not lethal of course but effective.................... rsvp
I'd say almost complete absorption (90% or greater), given that water also has a very high absorption.

OP
D

donald bathe

I'd say almost complete absorption (90% or greater), given that water also has a very high absorption.
well, do you think that it would actually work or not since some people claim that caffeine doesnt absorb too well in the human skin? why would they say this then? rsvp

DaveFoster

Giraffe

People can be dumb.
what do you mean by numb? rsvp
:rofl

how can it be done in such a way that it will be potent but not lethal
so then what youre saying is that its a matter of trial and error then? if thats the case then why do some people claim that caffeine absorption on the skin isnt that effective then? rsvp.
@donald bathe , if you are concerned that you could get a lethal dose, you would want to take a cautious approach. If you think that caffeine is not absorbed in noteworthy amounts, there is no point in making a caffeine patch.

Permeation of topically applied caffeine through human skin – a comparison of in vivo and in vitro data
After topical application, caffeine was already detected in the blood of the volunteers after 5 min

Caffeine's mechanisms of action and its cosmetic use.

OP
D

donald bathe

:rofl

@donald bathe , if you are concerned that you could get a lethal dose, you would want to take a cautious approach. If you think that caffeine is not absorbed in noteworthy amounts, there is no point in making a caffeine patch.

Permeation of topically applied caffeine through human skin – a comparison of in vivo and in vitro data

Caffeine's mechanisms of action and its cosmetic use.
all i really want is like 200 to maybe 300 milligrams of pure caffeine powder on the extra large band aid so i can get my fix, does this make sense? rsvp

tara

I don't meant that absorption varies so much from person to person (though maybe it differs depending on how calloused the skin is), but that the effects of caffeine on people vary. Some people are sensitive to small amounts, and some can take more before they get into trouble.
I think Haidut may have posted a study on transdermal absorption of caffeine - you could use the search function to hunt.

OP
D

donald bathe

If its for systemic effect why not just a pill?
because i have an ulcer, gastritis, and colitis, thats why! even cold brew black tea by lipton which has caffeine seems to upset my stomach! are you guys now understanding why im trying to make this caffeine patch with pure caffeine powder???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? rsvp.

Gl;itch.e

because i have an ulcer, gastritis, and colitis, thats why! even cold brew black tea by lipton which has caffeine seems to upset my stomach! are you guys now understanding why im trying to make this caffeine patch with pure caffeine powder???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? rsvp.
That's the kind of stuff we need in the first post. Why not just use some caffeine diluted in vodka and then drop or spray over a large area of skin rather than have a "patch" of questionable absorption quality?

tara

Are you understanding that not everyone appreciates you getting impatient about us not knowing stuff about you that you didn't mention, and not answering your questions perfectly to your expectations?

You are asking people to take time and effort to give you detailed answers for free to your specific issues, but I can't tell if you have taken time and effort yourself to look at any of the information already available in this forum on the subject yet. You have also given very little context for your enquiry.

Have you read Haidut's threads on topical caffeine, solban, etc?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals