Loose Skin Issues: Collagen, Skin Cells, Elastin, Hormones? Any Other Theories?

The mainstream summarizing is that loose skin is because of damaged elastin, collagen, etc. from weight loss.

I was significantly overweight for a fair amount of time, and sadly lost it all through all of the wrong ways (calorie depriving; excess cardio/movement; poor nutrition probably too). I also partly lost some of the excess weight as I was in my teens presumably going through puberty, which may've aided in some way.

In any case it left me with loose skin that no amount of training, fat loss or etc. has done anything for. My concerns now are understanding what the real mechanism at play is here: who is/what are the culprits?

Is it really just an elastin/collagen issue? The skin seems to have no "memory" because it remains in the same form/shape as it needed to occupy when I had rapidly gained weight. I really have never heard/read of any biochemical or even just a thorough biological explanation as to why the skin will not naturally shrink itself back to your new shape. I guess this might lend some weight to the idea that there is no "memory" much of an organism -- it can change and thus doesn't "know" what its past form, shape, size or etc. was or "should be" according to all accounts/factors surrounding said mechanism and body composition.

I agree that it's purely cosmetic, but the implications go deeper -- it's really about esteem. People may not realize it, but looking at a normal, taut body is fulfilling (given my bodyfat I'd have taut skin and a normal, lean-ish body, give or take, if not for the excess skin) -- seeing droop and sag is just a self-esteem crusher. It would be fabulous if someone could propose a neat theory or mechanism through which significant loose skin can be altered in a way that compliments the new, smaller form prior to rapid and excessive weight gain.

I've heard pregnenolone can help, but I've never tried that. Anyone tried it for loose skin and not just slight touching up of facial tone, which is arguably much lesser of a feat? Any other ideas/suggestions on topical stuff? I have DMSO/etc. and can try pretty much anything, but the thing is I'm at a loss as to how to tackle this without going the surgery route. Diet and lifestyle and etc. doesn't seem to be doing anything, so I'll need to try other stuff like maybe preg, (elastin?), and other hormones/chemicals.

I don't believe I've read anything from Ray Peat himself regarding this, but maybe he has talked about it?

Either way it would be great to be one step closer to having an actual "normal" body that matches my build/fat/composition more naturally.

I've never used thyroid hormones directly, but use plenty of surrogate-like things, more or less (caffeine, aspirin, pinch of extra salt here and there as desired, niacinamide/thiamin, bag breathing/etc.)

OP
MetabolicTrash
I remember the late Charles Poliquin recommending gotu kola for loose skin, but haven't looked into if, how or why

I think that's similar to parsley, which would make it possibly anti-inflammatory for one benefit at least.

They have pure creams or such available, but are expensive. I'd wonder if that'd be any more beneficial than just trying topical caffeine, aspirin or etc. in certain methods which is much cheaper/more convenient -- and can maybe provide similar or beyond benefits anyways in certain regards.

LUH 3417

I think that's similar to parsley, which would make it possibly anti-inflammatory for one benefit at least.

They have pure creams or such available, but are expensive. I'd wonder if that'd be any more beneficial than just trying topical caffeine, aspirin or etc. in certain methods which is much cheaper/more convenient -- and can maybe provide similar or beyond benefits anyways in certain regards.
Yesterday I was reading about GHK Cu peptides ability to rebuild the cellular matrix. The before and after photos look promising.

LUH 3417

Really? Sounds good. All the more reason to try it since I had this in my mental wishlist anyways regarding its facial skin use too.
Yea, just google ghk cu and check out the images. Let me know if you try it and experience good results. I

In this recent interview Ray answers a question from a caller about loose skin, elastin and mentions someone eradicating stretch marks using eggs and oysters. He specifically highlights the role of copper in elastin formation. Sorry, I cannot remember exactly how long into the interview the question is asked.

Jennifer

In any case it left me with loose skin that no amount of training, fat loss or etc. has done anything for. My concerns now are understanding what the real mechanism at play is here: who is/what are the culprits?
My guess would be mainly excess catabolic hormones like cortisol -- the first thing that comes to mind is the less potent cortisone cream and how it's known to thin skin -- and poor thyroid/parathyroid function given their role in calcium metabolism and connective tissue health so getting plenty of calcium and vitamin D to keep PTH low and if all the standard thyroid surrogates have proven unsuccessful, maybe actual thyroid supplementation?

I would think weight-loss achieved quickly and through other highly stressful means, whether an energy deficit, illness etc., is highly catabolic and thyroid suppressive and why it's common to end up with some kind of connective tissue weakness -- loose skin, stretch marks, osteoporosis etc. Thinking more about stretched skin, since not every woman who has a baby ends up with loose skin in her belly region, I wonder if the high amounts of progesterone they're exposed to during pregnancy has a protective effect on thyroid function and reduction in catabolic hormones like cortisol?

Edit: Just saw Dr.Winston O'Boogie's post. Never mind my comment. lol

dreamcatcher

@ScurveDream
Ultrasound skin tightening treatment
Ablative laser resurfacing
Micro needling
Facial resistance exercises
Radio frequency treatment
IPL/RF combo treatments
Collagen internally
Vitamin C ( For instance: The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Vitamin A externally 1 drop daily on face ( For instance: Health Natura Simply A)
Hyaluronic acid + moisturiser to support skin health
Methylene blue externally (1 drop/0.5mg mixed in 10ml distilled water then 1 drop of that for facial skin daily
The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid
Niod Copper Amino Isolate Serum 2:1
Lotion P50
The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution
Nutrient dense diet what works for you

Nicole W.

The mainstream summarizing is that loose skin is because of damaged elastin, collagen, etc. from weight loss.

I was significantly overweight for a fair amount of time, and sadly lost it all through all of the wrong ways (calorie depriving; excess cardio/movement; poor nutrition probably too). I also partly lost some of the excess weight as I was in my teens presumably going through puberty, which may've aided in some way.

Is it really just an elastin/collagen issue? The skin seems to have no "memory" because it remains in the same form/shape as it needed to occupy when I had rapidly gained weight. I really have never heard/read of any biochemical or even just a thorough biological explanation as to why the skin will not naturally shrink itself back to your new shape. I guess this might lend some weight to the idea that there is no "memory" much of an organism -- it can change and thus doesn't "know" what its past form, shape, size or etc. was or "should be" according to all accounts/factors surrounding said mechanism and body composition.

I agree that it's purely cosmetic, but the implications go deeper -- it's really about esteem. People may not realize it, but looking at a normal, taut body is fulfilling (given my bodyfat I'd have taut skin and a normal, lean-ish body, give or take, if not for the excess skin) -- seeing droop and sag is just a self-esteem crusher. It would be fabulous if someone could propose a neat theory or mechanism through which significant loose skin can be altered in a way that compliments the new, smaller form prior to rapid and excessive weight gain.

I've heard pregnenolone can help, but I've never tried that. Anyone tried it for loose skin and not just slight touching up of facial tone, which is arguably much lesser of a feat? Any other ideas/suggestions on topical stuff? I have DMSO/etc. and can try pretty much anything, but the thing is I'm at a loss as to how to tackle this without going the surgery route. Diet and lifestyle and etc. doesn't seem to be doing anything, so I'll need to try other stuff like maybe preg, (elastin?), and other hormones/chemicals.

I don't believe I've read anything from Ray Peat himself regarding this, but maybe he has talked about it?

Either way it would be great to be one step closer to having an actual "normal" body that matches my build/fat/composition more naturally.

I've never used thyroid hormones directly, but use plenty of surrogate-like things, more or less (caffeine, aspirin, pinch of extra salt here and there as desired, niacinamide/thiamin, bag breathing/etc.)
I’m thinking progesterone might help. After 2 pregnancies and gaining 60 lbs each time you’d think my stomach would be a mess but aside from a few stretch marks it’s not too bad surprisingly. I attribute this ( miracle!) to the high progesterone levels in the last trimester.
Pregnenolone ( instead of progesterone) would probably help things tighten up along with vitamin E and A. All those substances restore organization and structure to tissues. I’ve heard dry brushing can be helpful as well.
Believe me, there’s no one that understands your pain more than a new mother. My tummy postpartum was pretty much unrecognizable. After about a year, I was mostly back to my old self. Skin does not always snap back exactly the way it was before, but I think improvement is achievable. Short of nutritional intervention or having surgery, I think self acceptance might be your only other path.

LUH 3417

@ScurveDream
Ultrasound skin tightening treatment
Ablative laser resurfacing
Micro needling
Facial resistance exercises
Radio frequency treatment
IPL/RF combo treatments
Collagen internally
Vitamin C ( For instance: The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
Vitamin A externally 1 drop daily on face ( For instance: Health Natura Simply A)
Hyaluronic acid + moisturiser to support skin health
Methylene blue externally (1 drop/0.5mg mixed in 10ml distilled water then 1 drop of that for facial skin daily
The Ordinary Alpha Lipoic Acid
Niod Copper Amino Isolate Serum 2:1
Lotion P50
The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution
Nutrient dense diet what works for you
I was going to mention lotion p50 in a previous post! My skin was suffering and I’ve been getting many more compliments on my complexion since using it 2x daily.

arcadia11

Forum Supporter
My guess would be mainly excess catabolic hormones like cortisol -- the first thing that comes to mind is the less potent cortisone cream and how it's known to thin skin -- and poor thyroid/parathyroid function given their role in calcium metabolism and connective tissue health so getting plenty of calcium and vitamin D to keep PTH low and if all the standard thyroid surrogates have proven unsuccessful, maybe actual thyroid supplementation?

I would think weight-loss achieved quickly and through other highly stressful means, whether an energy deficit, illness etc., is highly catabolic and thyroid suppressive and why it's common to end up with some kind of connective tissue weakness -- loose skin, stretch marks, osteoporosis etc. Thinking more about stretched skin, since not every woman who has a baby ends up with loose skin in her belly region, I wonder if the high amounts of progesterone they're exposed to during pregnancy has a protective effect on thyroid function and reduction in catabolic hormones like cortisol?

Edit: Just saw Dr.Winston O'Boogie's post. Never mind my comment. lol
thank you. lots of consider and try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals