Sugar And Skin Aging

OP
A

andy

Thanks.Will decide what to do.All this information definitely is very helpful.Will instead increase my saturated fats (primarily coconut oil(lots of tablespoons) and see if this can give me the same benefical effects.I really don't like this bloating so back to potatoes as carb source.Read somewhere on the forum the twr has low fructose and high glucose(I am assuming he gets it from starch(potatoes?) and he says he stays lean this way.Paul jaminet does point out that fats(the right type ie saturated and monosaturated) are benign and even says majority of diet should be fat(interesting since I know someone who followed this recommendation and lost a lot of body fat and put on a lot of muscle making sure that he still had enough glucose for energy.)By the way this forum is interestingly addictive!

stargazer1111

Just wondering if anyone knows if sugar increases the aging of the skin .Watched a programme yesterday by cosmetic surgeons who specifically said that sugar damages the structure of the skin ie the collagen and the elastin(which decrease with age)Also pointed out that facial skin aging is primarily sun damage(body skin is usually much more youthful).also pointed out the skin needs to hold onto moisture hence the need for essential fatty acids .In the context of the Ray Peat diet does anyone know of any specific recommendation of what foods can delay facial aging(helping to keep volume in face) and how on earth to stop the sun aging the face.Sunscreens were recommended also to stop UVA light damaging the skin.Does Ray recommend sugar etc to stop skin aging or is that not one of his goals.By the way does anyone know how to contact Ray.I am eating potatoes and feel my skin getting more haggard and remember Andrew Kim pointing out that starches were bad for the skin and health in general.Thanks for any help

This is the one major complication I'm starting to notice with the high-sugar Peat lifestyle. I believe I have formed two age spots on my scalp (I'm bald) and several on the left side of my face. They're slightly different than my freckles, slightly lighter brown and less uniform in shape.

Also noticing more wrinkles around the eyes. But, I'm in my mid-30's approaching 40 and this might just be a sign of my age now.

But, my diet has shifted from high-iron beef to low-iron lean chicken and shrimp. It has always generally been low PUFA ( under 10 grams per day for the last 10 years or so), but it's even lower now to less than 2 grams per day.

Regardless, this is concerning and I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm not sure if stored PUFA are being released and peroxidized or if perhaps I have too much iron from years of eating lots of beef daily.

Or maybe it actually is the sugar. It's concerning.

Inaut

This is the one major complication I'm starting to notice with the high-sugar Peat lifestyle. I believe I have formed two age spots on my scalp (I'm bald) and several on the left side of my face. They're slightly different than my freckles, slightly lighter brown and less uniform in shape.

Also noticing more wrinkles around the eyes. But, I'm in my mid-30's approaching 40 and this might just be a sign of my age now.

But, my diet has shifted from high-iron beef to low-iron lean chicken and shrimp. It has always generally been low PUFA ( under 10 grams per day for the last 10 years or so), but it's even lower now to less than 2 grams per day.

Regardless, this is concerning and I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm not sure if stored PUFA are being released and peroxidized or if perhaps I have too much iron from years of eating lots of beef daily.

Or maybe it actually is the sugar. It's concerning.

Are you getting enough copper?

stargazer1111

No, actually. And I haven't for a long time. I have extreme food allergies to the point where anything with much copper I'm allergic to. Copper supplements also make me sick so I can't take them.

But, I know where you're going with this. Copper is required for proper collagen production which slows down the wrinkle process. It also helps to deal with excess iron.

I wish I could get more, but I can't tolerate any of the higher copper foods at this point.

baccheion

No, actually. And I haven't for a long time. I have extreme food allergies to the point where anything with much copper I'm allergic to. Copper supplements also make me sick so I can't take them.

But, I know where you're going with this. Copper is required for proper collagen production which slows down the wrinkle process. It also helps to deal with excess iron.

I wish I could get more, but I can't tolerate any of the higher copper foods at this point.
What about B6? See: AOR Ortho-Core..

stargazer1111

I may have found a solution to the copper problem. Squid/calamari is very high in copper. 4 oz. gets me over 2 mg and I know I can tolerate squid.

Will start eating this daily and see what happens.