• Tocotrienol base

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Tocopherol & MCT base

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

healthnatura

Progesterone formula alternative to Progest-E

My progesterone powder* is here and it is time to begin formulation. The formula will be essentially the same as Progest-E but will have the additional ingredients/excipients removed that can contribute to the tendency of making the product go rancid. My ideal formula will have only 1 ingredient in addition to the progesterone, my second choice will have 2 or 3.

I have 2 options for a carrier base and would like your feedback. My recommended base is tocotrienols for two reasons. 1) it is 100% non-soy sourced. 2) Far more effective biologic transdermal carrier compared to mixed tocopherols. This carrier ability is due to the unsaturated side chain that characterizes tocotrienols from tocopherols.
Tocopherols are the second option and due to its viscosity will have to be diluted with MCT oil. It is a less effective biologic transdermal carrier as I will explain more about below.

Biologic transdermal carriers: tocopherols vs tocotrienols.
The difference between tocopherols and tocotrienols is in the structure of the side chain, saturated vs unsaturated, and how the two interact with the chemistry and structure of the skin. Both are considered essential vitamins and are used actively by the body. The dermis is dominated with saturated fatty acids in the cellular membrane and oily secretions that make up the intracellular and surface oils. The saturated side chain of the tocopherol must compete with these saturated fats in order to get its way through leaving more of the product on the skin surface. The unsaturated side chain of tocotrienol have an ionic repelling action and more readily passes through the saturated fats much like soap breaks up oil surface tension. This effect allows the tocotrienol to “slide” between the cells. In both instances the progesterone is not bound to the tocopherol/tocotrienol molecule. They simply act as an agent that suspends and dissolves the progesterone and provides a base that promotes penetration.

From a biochemistry standpoint, my first choice is tocotrienols because it will be more effective and more hypoallergenic but I wanted your feedback before moving forward.

*For those whom I know will be asking, I can't legally sell the pure powder to individuals... sorry. :( Manufacturing and research labs may contact me for pricing.

XPlus

People usually are aware that Ray doesn't recommend the use of tocotrienols and if you ask for my opinion from a marketing point of view, it's not a good idea.
I'd stick with original formulation since it's been put together by Peat himself.
Middle route could be a combo of mixed tocopherols, MCTs and/or olive oil.
The amount of progesterone recommended by Peat wouldn't introduce much of the carrier if taken orally.
Also, olive oil and MCTs are easier on digestion than pure Vitmain E.
If you insist on the dermal route, maybe some water and alcohol solution if the progesterone is water-soluble.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
healthnatura

healthnatura

I will strike tocotrienols from all and future Ray Peat product formulations. Thanks for the input!
I'll look into the formulation base and may make some revisions. I want to avoid oils that can go rancid as well as alcohol and water as these can contribute to instability of the product.
The patent has expired otherwise I wouldn't consider doing this. However it is an interesting reference point and the goal of this project is to improve upon it.

Keep your thoughts coming and Thanks.

Lin

How heat stable is this product? I am in California. Would it be shipping through the southwest desert, with the now record heat, in the back of a non-air-conditioned USPS truck?

OP
healthnatura

healthnatura

How heat stable is this product? I am in California. Would it be shipping through the southwest desert, with the now record heat, in the back of a non-air-conditioned USPS truck?
The heat tolerance for Simply Progesterone is upwards of 170 degrees Fahrenheit for short durations of a few days and requires no refrigeration once opened.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals