The Progest-E & Raw Honey High

Snicky

Sorry to hear it's back. Are you attributing this directly to the progesterone? If so, how were you taking it?
I am not at this point because I haven’t taken any progesterone for over two weeks.

I want to see what I can manage to do to improve it with oil pulling, oregano oil capsules (systemic anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory), water flossing with some tea tree or clove oil, and saltwater rinses. I am finding ginger tea (powder) seems to help a bit, too and gently brushing with coconut oil is soothing.

I am curious if it is a combo of hygiene, diet, hormones from my cycle that are all responsible. I also wonder if there is something going on with my teeth or under in the gums or jaw. The side it is mostly on has a crown that is 12 yrs old (I only got it because I think there was a hairline tooth fracture… ). I think the crown is fine. Above it is a tooth that had a filling redone about 6 years ago. I also wonder if some bruxism is exacerbating it all. It’s really a mystery.

I had a little bit of inflammation on the other side. But much less.

@Rinse & rePeat , I see your suggestion. Thank you and I will check that thread. I might try that with the aspirin. I will likely avoid Progesterone until my next luteal phase… or until this is all resolved to see if it has any impact.

I think I should go get my teeth scaled and checked here w/in three weeks. I just prefer to see what I can accomplish on my own first, then see what the dentist says and also what effect a cleaning would have. I don’t fully trust dentists to not lean towards bigger interventions.

I’m a little nervous to play with progesterone again but it seems like it should *not* have an effect like this, right?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am not at this point because I haven’t taken any progesterone for over two weeks.

I want to see what I can manage to do to improve it with oil pulling, oregano oil capsules (systemic anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory), water flossing with some tea tree or clove oil, and saltwater rinses. I am finding ginger tea (powder) seems to help a bit, too and gently brushing with coconut oil is soothing.

I am curious if it is a combo of hygiene, diet, hormones from my cycle that are all responsible. I also wonder if there is something going on with my teeth or under in the gums or jaw. The side it is mostly on has a crown that is 12 yrs old (I only got it because I think there was a hairline tooth fracture… ). I think the crown is fine. Above it is a tooth that had a filling redone about 6 years ago. I also wonder if some bruxism is exacerbating it all. It’s really a mystery.

I had a little bit of inflammation on the other side. But much less.

@Rinse & rePeat , I see your suggestion. Thank you and I will check that thread. I might try that with the aspirin. I will likely avoid Progesterone until my next luteal phase… or until this is all resolved to see if it has any impact.

I think I should go get my teeth scaled and checked here w/in three weeks. I just prefer to see what I can accomplish on my own first, then see what the dentist says and also what effect a cleaning would have. I don’t fully trust dentists to not lean towards bigger interventions.

I’m a little nervous to play with progesterone again but it seems like it should *not* have an effect like this, right?
I am not apposed to going to the dentist for a cleaning. Be sure and take an aspirin and a K1 before going, it makes the experience so much less uncomfortable.,” As for the progesterone, I have posted in this thread that some say progesterone causes, not cures. I don’t know what to think about this, and though Ray Peat says puting it on gums saves money, needing less because it goes into the blood stream faster and more potently, I put it on my wrists, keeping it away from my teeth. I rarely take it though. I know the ingredients in progesterone makes a difference, and maybe in getting or curing gingivitis too . Do you use Progest-E!

Snicky

@Rinse & rePeat yes, it is the Progest-E. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe next time I will put it on my wrists as you do and see what happens. Good tip about the aspirin and K1 before the dentist. To be honest I never had any problem at cleanings with discomfort (except if there were cavtities) until about three years ago maybe? My gums started to become so so sensitive to the scaling. To me that makes me think it was related to my thyroid issue and hormones out of whack.

I only am considering going because I just think it is good to make sure nothing is massively amiss under the crown or in that area. Otherwise I don’t do biannual cleanings anymore and haven’t gone for 1.5 years even because I also think some dentistry and esp. orthodontics might not be so good in the long run. (I also like to ‘do things myself’).

Do you have a recommendation for K1 supplements? I have a liquid Vit D and K2 but saw it is in MCT oil, which I think Ray Peat cautioned about ingesting (but is ok on skin). Can I use that topically (the combo supplement)? 😝
I’m not getting much sun lately… 😅

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat yes, it is the Progest-E. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe next time I will put it on my wrists as you do and see what happens. Good tip about the aspirin and K1 before the dentist. To be honest I never had any problem at cleanings with discomfort (except if there were cavtities) until about three years ago maybe? My gums started to become so so sensitive to the scaling. To me that makes me think it was related to my thyroid issue and hormones out of whack.

I only am considering going because I just think it is good to make sure nothing is massively amiss under the crown or in that area. Otherwise I don’t do biannual cleanings anymore and haven’t gone for 1.5 years even because I also think some dentistry and esp. orthodontics might not be so good in the long run. (I also like to ‘do things myself’).

Do you have a recommendation for K1 supplements? I have a liquid Vit D and K2 but saw it is in MCT oil, which I think Ray Peat cautioned about ingesting (but is ok on skin). Can I use that topically (the combo supplement)? 😝
I’m not getting much sun lately… 😅
I only use a low dose vitamin K1. In an experiment years ago, when my teeth had gotten transparent from having eliminated dairy and still I was eating grains, I found vitamin D, K1, adding back in the milk and eliminating all grains refilled my teeth within months. It was a fascinating experiment which I started with my son as my witness. With that being said, I do not supplement vitamin D or anything else besides an occasional low dose K1, when I am not getting any greens, and occasionally, lab tested pure, MSM crystals to enhance my skin. I have posted in this thread that raw honey topically is good for healing gingivitis. I haven’t heard anything else that is as effective as raw honey for that.,

Snicky

I only use a low dose vitamin K1. In an experiment years ago, when my teeth had gotten transparent from having eliminated dairy and still I was eating grains, I found vitamin D, K1, adding back in the milk and eliminating all grains refilled my teeth within months. It was a fascinating experiment which I started with my son as my witness. With that being said, I do not supplement vitamin D or anything else besides an occasional low dose K1, when I am not getting any greens, and occasionally, lab tested pure, MSM crystals to enhance my skin. I have posted in this thread that raw honey topically is good for healing gingivitis. I haven’t heard anything else that is as effective as raw honey for that.,
I put raw honey in my coffee and my ginger tea. Maybe I will spread it on the next time it flares up, which I suspect will be later tonight if the last two night are any indication.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I put raw honey in my coffee and my ginger tea. Maybe I will spread it on the next time it flares up, which I suspect will be later tonight if the last two night are any indication.
You can’t use raw honey that way, the heat kills it’s benefits. Use it as a medicine, away from food, undiluted. I like to have it at bedtime, after brushing, and it is so good for my sleep.

Snicky

You can’t use raw honey that way, the heat kills it’s benefits. Use it as a medicine, away from food, undiluted. I like to have it at bedtime, after brushing, and it is so good for my sleep.
I’ll try it on the gums if they flare up later…

I do take it straight off the spoon if I wake up in the night, sometimes eat it on ricotta or yoghurt but I like it in my hot beverages… ((thankfully where I live beekeeping is common so I can get it fairly cheaply from local producers. I’ve gone through a probably 2kg since September…))

Mossy

I do agree. Being that Dr. Peat was such a proponent of Progest-E, I'm hesitant to place the blame on it for doing harm.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many factors, including poor nutrition, climate, emotional or physical stress (even excessive running) and toxins, can cause a progesterone deficiency.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Anovulation and low levels of serum progesterone have been associated with a significantly higher risk of breast cancer in premenopausal women. Use of progesterone has been linked to lower rates of uterine and colon cancers and may also be useful in treating other cancers such as ovarian, melanoma, mesothelioma, and prostate. Progesterone may also be helpful in preventing cardiovascular disease and preventing and treating neurodegenerative conditions such a stroke and traumatic brain injury. Conclusions • Physicians should have no hesitation prescribing natural progesterone. The evidence is clear that progesterone does not cause breast cancer. Indeed, progesterone is protective and preventative of breast cancer.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Just wanted to everyone know that I am creating my own site where all my “Peaty” recipes will be well organized. I hope to see you there when I get some content in. Leave me a message at the email address below so I can put you on my mailing list and contact you when it is ready to go!

My website is: www.raymendeat.com

Ray_Mend_Eat

Email me at [email protected]

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A 47 year-old woman who had only a few "liver spots" on the backs of her hands began taking large amounts of estrogen, and within a few months the brown spots had darkened and spread until most of her skin was covered with spots. When she stopped using estrogen, and applied progesterone topically, the spots disappeared.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin B6-
vitamin K, and vitamin D are important for the
development and maintenance of bones.
For example, a vitamin A deficiency limits the
synthesis of progesterone and proteins.”
-Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals