Progest E . A Decrease In My Progesterone Levels?

Peatful

@lisaferraro @Blossom

I want to chime in here.
Like @danishispsychic and @Corinne Harding i had an adverse effect with progesterone.
I agree with Dalton that carbs are necessary. I agree with the above mentioned quality protein is essential for liver support.

Not until a year and a half of Peating was I able to tolerate progesterone. My cortisol was too high, I was malnourished, etc.

In the spirit of Dr Pest: in the absence of good metabolism, any thing can be dangerous.

Do you Lisa and Blossom think you tolerated progesterone because of the dosage increase, or were you already functioning with a strong metabolism and liver that allowed you to handle the estrogen displacement etc.?

If I was writing the original question a year ago, I know I wasn’t healthy enough to tolerate ANY progesterone- esp at the levels listed here.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@lisaferraro @Blossom

I want to chime in here.
Like @danishispsychic and @Corinne Harding i had an adverse effect with progesterone.
I agree with Dalton that carbs are necessary. I agree with the above mentioned quality protein is essential for liver support.

Not until a year and a half of Peating was I able to tolerate progesterone. My cortisol was too high, I was malnourished, etc.

In the spirit of Dr Pest: in the absence of good metabolism, any thing can be dangerous.

Do you Lisa and Blossom think you tolerated progesterone because of the dosage increase, or were you already functioning with a strong metabolism and liver that allowed you to handle the estrogen displacement etc.?

If I was writing the original question a year ago, I know I wasn’t healthy enough to tolerate ANY progesterone- esp at the levels listed here.
I always think nutrition comes first and IIRC I spent at least 4 solid months focusing on diet alone before adding in Progest-e. Of course even that might not be long enough for some people if they are severely depleted.

Obi-wan

I do not think 100mg progesterone for peeps after menopause is high. 400-600 is. also if you go high you will have a need to urinate more often, you will be thirsty, and you WILL need transdermal magnesium. A good thread to read is Want More Progesterone? Increase Magnesium And Decrease Excessive Calcium! In my opinion, transdermal magnesium is the key with progesterone. I have tried many and for now like Idealabs Magnoil the best. I apply it to the back of my neck for various reasons. 5 drops several times a day. Plus you should eat something every 3 hours on high progesterone.

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Okay so say you want 200 mg - that would require 120 drops yikes! The natpro cream or Progest-e would be more economical. But like @Blossom mentioned above maybe increasing dose in small increments might work better. Say go up to 60 first, then 100, then 200, etc. to find your best dose. Anyway, best of luck to you ❤️

That's one of the reasons I went with Natpro

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I do not think 100mg's progesterone for peeps after menopause is high. 400-600 is. also if you go high you will have a need to urinate more often, you will be thirsty, and you WILL need transdermal magnesium. A good thread to read is Want More Progesterone? Increase Magnesium And Decrease Excessive Calcium! In my opinion, transdermal magnesium is the key with progesterone. I have tried many and for now like Idealabs Magnoil the best. I apply it to the back of my neck for various reasons. 5 drops several times a day. Plus you should eat something every 3 hours on high progesterone.
I agree. Lots of women in menopause going the mainstream medicine route take 200 mg each day for half the month. At this point I'm trying to stick with any dose changes I make for a couple months before reevaluating. I'm going to read up on the Wray method and Natpro in the meantime.

D

danishispsychic

Same here, except it didn't matter the brand. I took Progest-E for over a year and the bleeding and other nasty symptoms only got worse, and I didn't have high estrogen to begin with. Diet alone is what worked for me.
Great to hear it was not just me. I think that the single most effective thing that balanced out my hormones was the mighty little organic lemon. Lots of them.

D

danishispsychic

A healthy liver helps eliminate circulating estrogens. B Vitamins to the rescue. Do I hear Energin by IdeaLabs ala @haidut

My 500th post. Yay!
Congrats @Obi-wan ! I used to give myself b12 shots but I am sure I messed up my liver with the cyan kind ... ya know.. just shooting arsenic into my glutes. I can get reckless. I have changed to Energin now. YAY!

Jennifer

I think that the single most effective thing that balanced out my hormones was the mighty little organic lemon. Lots of them.
Lemons are awesome for the liver! I make a lemonade that I drink daily by mixing lemons with raw Thai coconut water. I do this with limes, too. So good!

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro @Blossom

I want to chime in here.

Hi @Peatful, like you, Progest-e did not work for me in the beginning. As I wrote above it made everything worse, so I stopped. Like @Blossom, I then focused on my diet and helping my liver. Months later when I felt that internal stirring for progesterone, I researched for a month and became convinced for high dose. But that is my journey and we are all very different. I do think we require experimentation and sometimes something will work a year later that did not work the year before. We are open, dynamic systems that are ever changing in a simbiotic way with our environment.

Peatful

Thx @Blossom
Thx @lisaferraro

So then-
This OP -and subsequent readers -(@Corinne Harding) need to be asked about their diet, calories, marcos, temp and pulse. I don’t see that in the thread unless I overlooked?
The thyroid needs to be working to handle such doses of progesterone correctly.
Peat does not normally recommend 200mg. Others may, but not him.

See attached.

I need to listen to this last KMUD. It’s on progesterone, so I know I could learn more.

Attachments

• E3AD5D29-F7BA-42C5-A396-A7749CC2FBEA.png
    E3AD5D29-F7BA-42C5-A396-A7749CC2FBEA.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Thx @Blossom
Thx @lisaferraro

So then-
This OP -and subsequent readers -(@Corinne Harding) need to be asked about their diet, calories, marcos, temp and pulse. I don’t see that in the thread unless I overlooked?

I need to listen to this last KMUD. It’s on progesterone, so I know I could learn more.

What you ask is very pertinent. It is why I have waited so long to consider using progesterone. I have read all the discussions of why it is good or bad. I have read Dr. Peat multiple times and some other websites. I have been eating more in quantity and of mainly Peat type foods for 2 1/2 years. My temperatures are usually 98.3 to 98.6 after eating and throughout the day. My pulse has been 78 for several years. Lately, I have been able to go longer without eating but I usually eat every 3 hours because I like to eat. Even though I am 63 and postmenopausal I know when my ghost cycle occurs and lately I am actually in a good mood when there might be some progesterone circulating.

I was prescribed progesterone when I was in my 20s and now looking back I see that it helped me so much I quit using it because I felt so confident. Then several years into menopause I tried some progesterone cream but never regained what I expected and did get to know worsening estrogen symptoms.

Even before you and @lisaferraro wrote your cautions I am back to analyzing the pros, cons and logistics and how it will affect me, my family and my work.

Again, I want to thank everyone here for telling us their experiences.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So then-
Lots of women in menopause going the mainstream medicine route take 200 mg each day for half the month.
Point taken, I will keep that in mind and appreciate you bringing it up. You are more than welcome to add to any conversations as well when you notice a glaring omission. It takes all of us working together as a team as it's probable that no one person will think of all the possible variables in a given situation.

In case I was not clear in my prior post about 200 mg being a mainstream medicine dose I want to remind everyone that I was simply discussing doses others are using and that it is not from Peat as @Peatful stressed.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

denise

According to the label 12 drops of progestene equals 20mg progesterone, I take it transdermally and have only started it over the last few days. I realise the high dose you mention is only for a short period and that there are so many other co factors that make the 'equation' work for us as individuals, that it is a case of finding a combination of life style, diet and supplements etc.
Something to consider is that if haidut is right about his SFA ester+ethanol solvent allowing for 80-90% absorption (versus only 10-20% for most other products), the 20 mg in Progestene may not be even remotely comparable to 20 mg of another brand. So, even if your goal is to go high dose for a while, I'd start with less if you're using Progestene. (Also, this means it may not be as expensive as it first appears!)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is weighing heavily on my heart today so I'm sharing it here.

Many women are suffering and many marriages are strained. A multitude of women are choosing estrogen because they feel there is no other option. A few submit to taking it in a short term quality over long term quantity mindset knowing full well the risks but they are desperate to have a pain free marriage bed with their husbands again (or stop incontinence, avoid or manage vaginal prolapse etc). This is cold hard truth of the matter and why I'm supportive of individual experimentation with dosing of progesterone.

Peat may not tell us exactly how much to take but he empowers us to think for ourselves while considering our own context. It would be ideal if diet and thyroid were always enough to keep everyone cruising along with minimal need for progesterone but there are exceptions and we must not forget that fact.

I'm eternally grateful for all who have shared their stories. Dr. Peat is a wonderful, intelligent and selfless man who due to his unauthoritarian ways purposefully tries to teach us to solve our own issues. I'm not intending to contradict him in anyway by encouraging experimentation.

I will probably not speak further on progesterone but I want everyone to remember to educate themselves and pay attention to their own inner guidance.

Last edited:

SQu

:yeahthat
I took some flack back in 2013-2014 for advocating for experimentation with high doses and in hindsight I actually don't think I ever went high enough. Just last week I decided to go with 100 mg at night for half my cycle and honestly wish I'd done so sooner and not let all the haters and fear mongering influence me. We all have to figure out what's optimal for ourselves but it's certainly nice to read everyone's experiences.
I agree. Just found out I've been taking too little . I've always gone on symptoms and by taking a bit more recently I got rid of a tendency to prolactin symptoms and my cycle also got more regular again.

L

lollipop

This is weighing heavily on my heart today so I'm sharing it here.

Many women are suffering and many marriages are strained. A multitude of women are choosing estrogen because they feel there is no other option. A few submit to taking it in a short term quality over long term quantity mindset knowing full well the risks but they are desperate to have a pain free marriage bed with their husbands again (or stop incontinence, avoid or manage vaginal prolapse etc). This is cold hard truth of the matter and why I'm supportive of individual experimentation with dosing of progesterone.

Peat may not tell us exactly how much to take but he empowers us to think for ourselves while considering our own context. It would be ideal if diet and thyroid were always enough to keep everyone cruising along with minimal need for progesterone but there are exceptions and we must not forget that fact.

I'm eternally grateful for all who have shared their stories. Dr. Peat is a wonderful, intelligent and selfless man who due to his unauthoritarian ways purposefully tries to teach us to solve our own issues. I'm not intending to contradict him in anyway buy encouraging experimentation.

I will probably not speak further on progesterone but I want everyone to remember to educate themselves and pay attention to their own inner guidance.
This is beautiful and your advice to pay attention and listen to our own inner guidance is soooooo incredibly wise and on point. This very truth is what has brought my success I feel. I also hear this every time I read @Jennifer’s story, her incredible tenacity to follow her own inner guidance even when others have challenged her.

Obi-wan

I do not think 100mg progesterone for peeps after menopause is high. 400-600 is. also if you go high you will have a need to urinate more often, you will be thirsty, and you WILL need transdermal magnesium. A good thread to read is Want More Progesterone? Increase Magnesium And Decrease Excessive Calcium! In my opinion, transdermal magnesium is the key with progesterone. I have tried many and for now like Idealabs Magnoil the best. I apply it to the back of my neck for various reasons. 5 drops several times a day. Plus you should eat something every 3 hours on high progesterone.

Don’t underestimate magnesium. Always good to try first. I really believe Idealabs’s Magnoil works well!

OP
Corinne Harding
Something to consider is that if haidut is right about his SFA ester+ethanol solvent allowing for 80-90% absorption (versus only 10-20% for most other products), the 20 mg in Progestene may not be even remotely comparable to 20 mg of another brand. So, even if your goal is to go high dose for a while, I'd start with less if you're using Progestene. (Also, this means it may not be as expensive as it first appears!)

Hi Denise, I too was thinking about this as I have also read that Haidut's products are generally more 'potent' @haidut maybe you could give me an idea on the potency factor that others have mentioned to you of progestene? Thanks guys.

haidut

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals