Consider raw honey before bed

Dave_Fit

I've been having a pint of Haagen Dazs and hour or two before bed for well over a year. My mattress tracks sleep quality, time to sleep, heart rate, pulse, and heart rate variability. Carbs before bed works great, a pinch of sea salt can help too. Keeps cortisol low, keeps liver glycogen full. I also sleep earthed, and wear blue blockers in the eve. I sleep like a king probably 29 out of 30 nights a month. I'd say the honey would def work great too, and add a pinch of salt if you tend to wake up to pee and have difficulty falling back asleep.

I've been having a pint of Haagen Dazs and hour or two before bed for well over a year. My mattress tracks sleep quality, time to sleep, heart rate, pulse, and heart rate variability. Carbs before bed works great, a pinch of sea salt can help too. Keeps cortisol low, keeps liver glycogen full. I also sleep earthed, and wear blue blockers in the eve. I sleep like a king probably 29 out of 30 nights a month. I'd say the honey would def work great too, and add a pinch of salt if you tend to wake up to pee and have difficulty falling back asleep.
Are you the David with the testimonial on FIAB?

Dave_Fit

That was a great piece! Motivated me to cut seed oils from my diet (before I discovered RP). I'm leaning out at the moment but I'm going to give your nighttime Haagen-Dazs routine a shot once I get to my BF% goal.
Thank you, glad it helped. I was doing the Haagen-Dazs 3x weekly during my weight loss, 48 lbs in 6 months. People respond to sugar differently so what worked in my metabolic environment might not work for everyone. It was included in my macro's so I knew where I was calorically, protein, fat, carbs the whole time. Crazy part was I had so many Ray Peat things in my diet and people kept pointing it out, daily carrot, no PUFA, some OJ, etc. That's how I wound up here as well. I've leaned a great deal from this group, really awesome people. Because I lost the weight and have maintained it for over 8 months now, my diet is much more in line with the Ray Peat way now.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I also find raw honey helps me sleep better and helps me fall back to sleep if I wake up at 3am in the morning.

“Additionally, honey may promote melatonin formation due to its possible tryptophan content (a precursor to melatonin) that both helps to initiate sleep as well as promote release of hormones that facilitate whole body recovery during sleep.”

Dave_Fit

Haagen Dazs before bed every night for almost a year. I sleep like a wet bag of hammers. Not the same, but same concept. Ray has talked about this. Cortisol reduction from ice cream or in this posts case honey.

Old Irenaeus

Thank you, glad it helped. I was doing the Haagen-Dazs 3x weekly during my weight loss, 48 lbs in 6 months. People respond to sugar differently so what worked in my metabolic environment might not work for everyone. It was included in my macro's so I knew where I was calorically, protein, fat, carbs the whole time. Crazy part was I had so many Ray Peat things in my diet and people kept pointing it out, daily carrot, no PUFA, some OJ, etc. That's how I wound up here as well. I've leaned a great deal from this group, really awesome people. Because I lost the weight and have maintained it for over 8 months now, my diet is much more in line with the Ray Peat way now.
Do you still do the fish oil supplement?

Dave_Fit

Do you still do the fish oil supplement?
No I stopped all fish oil after a few months of really digging into Ray. It does have some unique effects that are different than Omega 6 that can be viewed in a limited way to be beneficial. Kind of like growth hormone or estrogen being thought of in positive lights in certain situations. But once you recognize a toxin or stress response hormone etc. you then know it’s best to avoid it.

Old Irenaeus

No I stopped all fish oil after a few months of really digging into Ray. It does have some unique effects that are different than Omega 6 that can be viewed in a limited way to be beneficial. Kind of like growth hormone or estrogen being thought of in positive lights in certain situations. But once you recognize a toxin or stress response hormone etc. you then know it’s best to avoid it.
Thanks for your response. I gotta carve out some time to watch your videos, which look excellent. If they give me the green light to enjoy a pint of Haagen Dazs daily, I'll be pleased.

Dave_Fit

Thanks for your response. I gotta carve out some time to watch your videos, which look excellent. If they give me the green light to enjoy a pint of Haagen Dazs daily, I'll be pleased.
I apologize I just saw your reply, not sure how I missed it. As long as it factors into your total calories and you don't have issue with sugar I'd say give it a try and see what happens. Just keep in mind only certain flavors are PUFA free, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, vanilla chocolate chip, and a few others but you have to read the labels.

YourUniverse

Someone pointed out that raw, local honey is basically an allergy immunization, especially to pollen, as the bees take this allergenic material and make something digestible out of it

Haagen Dazs before bed every night for almost a year. I sleep like a wet bag of hammers. Not the same, but same concept. Ray has talked about this. Cortisol reduction from ice cream or in this posts case honey.
How much Haagen Dazs are you eating before bed eat night?

For those of you having issues waking up at night, especially if you wake up very warm/sweaty, consider raw honey before bed. I learned this trick awhile ago and it has helped me ever since. The raw honey acts as a fuel source for your liver, allowing your liver to function without burning fat at night. The fat burning is what causes night sweats and sleep disturbance in a lot of people. A little bit of sea salt will help too to lower your cortisol. Anyway, I hope this helps someone
Honey and salt before bed, or if I wake up in the night works good for me too!

MayaPapaya

I apologize I just saw your reply, not sure how I missed it. As long as it factors into your total calories and you don't have issue with sugar I'd say give it a try and see what happens. Just keep in mind only certain flavors are PUFA free, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, vanilla chocolate chip, and a few others but you have to read the labels.
But even those flavors are made from Homogenized and ultra-pasteurized milk. What can you say about this?

Dave_Fit

But even those flavors are made from Homogenized and ultra-pasteurized milk. What can you say about this?
I don't really have an issue with this. I drink raw milk in the summer when I can get it. If you want something better than Hagen Dazs with low ingredient count, no high fructose corn syrup, you'd have to make it yourself. Not a bad idea mind you. I have considered buying an ice cream maker, and using raw milk, pastured egg yolks, grass fed butter, and honey as a base.

MayaPapaya

I don't really have an issue with this. I drink raw milk in the summer when I can get it. If you want something better than Hagen Dazs with low ingredient count, no high fructose corn syrup, you'd have to make it yourself. Not a bad idea mind you. I have considered buying an ice cream maker, and using raw milk, pastured egg yolks, grass fed butter, and honey as a base.
No access to raw grass fed milk products unfortunately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals