The Progest-E & Raw Honey High

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“While men do naturally produce progesterone, and can sometimes benefit from using it, it is not a male hormone. Some people get that impression, because some physicians recommend combining estrogen with either testosterone or progesterone, to protect against some of estrogen's side effects, but progesterone is the body's natural complement to estrogen. Used alone, progesterone often makes it unnecessary to use estrogen for hot flashes or insomnia, or other symptoms of menopause.” -Ray Peat

Mossy

“While men do naturally produce progesterone, and can sometimes benefit from using it, it is not a male hormone. Some people get that impression, because some physicians recommend combining estrogen with either testosterone or progesterone, to protect against some of estrogen's side effects, but progesterone is the body's natural complement to estrogen. Used alone, progesterone often makes it unnecessary to use estrogen for hot flashes or insomnia, or other symptoms of menopause.” -Ray Peat
Based on quotes like this one, and others from Ray, it seems that Progesterone should be used sparingly by men; if at all.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Based on quotes like this one, and others from Ray, it seems that Progesterone should be used sparingly by men; if at all.
I am reading through the progesterone threads right now. From all that I have read from RP in the past, men should only use it when needed, for illness and stress. He says that the “shrinkage” issue is only temporary, using it in the beginning. I just read this one from @haidut

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This was a good article from @haidut for men too…

“Personally, I think progesterone is best combined with an androgen like DHT, T, androsterone, or even DHEA to balance its feminizing effects through the progesterone receptor (PR). But even when used on its own, in lower doses, progesterone can probably be a much safer alternative to HRT therapy with T in males.“

Mossy

@Rinse & rePeat Thanks for the references. I do remember those threads, but the anecdotal reports of success are scarce. Even so, it's worth taking a look again at those threads again. I communicated with @Own B on that thread and he said he had some success mixing progesterone with D3. but he ultimately stopped using it, it seems.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat Thanks for the references. I do remember those threads, but the anecdotal reports of success are scarce. Even so, it's worth taking a look again at those threads again. I communicated with @Own B on that thread and he said he had some success mixing progesterone with D3. but he ultimately stopped using it, it seems.
I don’t blame men for being cautious with progesterone. I think it is beneficial for elderly men, or sparingly for men with depression, using it strategically. I cut way back using progesterone as woman and am finding a MUCH smaller dose at bedtime right on the brain to be great for me. I am not using it in the day at all except before a restaurant visit, but I am considering trying aspirin for that again instead. I bought some in lose form. I think Pregnenolone might be more something to consider for men.

Mossy

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“*Progesterone can contribute to the inhibition of HIV replication and transmission.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Estrogen's nerve-exciting action is known to lower seizure thresholds; premenstrual epilepsy is probably another acute sign of the neurotoxicity of estrogen.

When fatigue and lethargy are associated with aging, the brain stimulating action of estrogen can make a woman feel that she has more energy. (Large doses given to rats will make them run compulsively; running wheels with odometers have shown that they will run over 30 miles a day from the influence of estrogen.) Estrogen inhibits one of the enzymic routes for inactivating brain amines, and so it has more general effects on the brain than just the glutamate system. This generalized effect on brain amines is more like the effects of cocaine or amphetamine. If that is a woman's basis for wanting to use estrogen, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor would be safer.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Honey is hygroscopic, it draws water out of the air,” says Lewis Bartlett, a postdoctoral associate at the University of Georgia who studies honey bee diseases and evolution. “If that happens, eventually the water level will rise to a point where yeast starts growing, which makes [the honey] ferment and go rancid.” The natural process by which honey bees produce honey drastically reduces its water content, he says, to the point that nothing (not even yeast) can survive long enough within it to go rancid. As long as your honey is sitting sealed on a shelf, it can stay good forever — which explains how scientists have found honey in dry Egyptian tombs that is still good to eat!”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“2: Honey is Good for Your Teeth

Researchers in New Zealand found that

• Unprocessed (raw) honey protects against tooth decay
  • It reduces the amount of acid produced by bacteria in the mouth responsible for dental decay to almost zero
  • Unprocessed honey contains an enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide which can fight periodontal disease and gingivitis (both inflammatory conditions due to infected gums)
  • It fights infections of the gum and reduces swelling and pain very quickly“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Honey can help treat gum diseases, including gingivitis, bleeding, and receding gums. 95% of adults have periodontal disease at least once in their lives. If it becomes severe, your teeth will begin moving out of place. The bacteria inhabiting an oral cavity causes inflammation, so the best way to prevent gingivitis is to kick out that bacteria!

When you mix honey with water, an enzyme in honey called glucose oxidase produces hydrogen peroxide. The production of hydrogen peroxide is the primary reason for its antimicrobial activity. Research from Dr. Peter C. Molan of the University of Waikato in New Zealand showed that certain types of honey help prevent cavities because of their antimicrobial potency. You can even place honey directly on the site of inflammation or infection in the mouth. Honey’s antibacterial properties flush out harmful bacteria.

By fighting the bacteria, honey reduces the amount of acid your mouth produces. Without that acid, bacteria can no longer produce dextran, which is essentially the “glue” that helps bacteria attach to the tooth surface. Bacteria become plaque, which eventually can harden into what leads to gum disease and tooth decay.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A common anti-diarrhoea drug and two common hormonal contraceptives are among four drugs identified by researchers at the University of Oslo as potential candidates to treat the most common symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). In findings published in the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology Monday, researchers named loperamide and contraceptives progesterone and progestin drospirenone to treat the most common ASD symptoms, such as difficulty in social interactions and communications. The fourth drug, bromocriptine, is commonly used for diseases like Parkinson’s."

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Mossy

“Honey can help treat gum diseases, including gingivitis, bleeding, and receding gums. 95% of adults have periodontal disease at least once in their lives. If it becomes severe, your teeth will begin moving out of place. The bacteria inhabiting an oral cavity causes inflammation, so the best way to prevent gingivitis is to kick out that bacteria!

When you mix honey with water, an enzyme in honey called glucose oxidase produces hydrogen peroxide. The production of hydrogen peroxide is the primary reason for its antimicrobial activity. Research from Dr. Peter C. Molan of the University of Waikato in New Zealand showed that certain types of honey help prevent cavities because of their antimicrobial potency. You can even place honey directly on the site of inflammation or infection in the mouth. Honey’s antibacterial properties flush out harmful bacteria.

By fighting the bacteria, honey reduces the amount of acid your mouth produces. Without that acid, bacteria can no longer produce dextran, which is essentially the “glue” that helps bacteria attach to the tooth surface. Bacteria become plaque, which eventually can harden into what leads to gum disease and tooth decay.“

Interesting. Maybe this is why I've read honey is good for the gut, bacteria issues.

Mossy

Honey is a natural antibiotic, I eat it by the spoonful daily, especially at night on an empty stomach.
I started the honey in water, via tea, last night, based on this:

"When you mix honey with water, an enzyme in honey called glucose oxidase produces hydrogen peroxide. The production of hydrogen peroxide is the primary reason for its antimicrobial activity."

I'm assuming the honey directly in the mouth produces the same antimicrobial effect, due to saliva, though the quote prior does mention to mix with water:

You can even place honey directly on the site of inflammation or infection in the mouth. Honey’s antibacterial properties flush out harmful bacteria.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I started the honey in water, via tea, last night, based on this:

I'm assuming the honey directly in the mouth produces the same antimicrobial effect, due to saliva, though the quote prior does mention to mix with water:
Let us know how your honey experiment goes!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It may be a good practice, especially for men, to take their progesterone with a big spoonful of raw honey….

“Research has shown that ginger can increase testosterone levels in men by up to 17%. Honey also has testosterone-boosting properties, making it an ideal natural remedy for men looking to improve sexual function and desire.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals