The Progest-E & Raw Honey High

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“SYMPTOMATIC: For tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis, sunburn, etc., progesterone in vitamin E can be applied locally after a little olive oil has been put on the skin to make it easier to spread the progesterone solution. For migraines, it has been taken orally just as the symptoms begin.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“With a diet high in protein (e.g., at least 70-100 grams per day, including eggs) and vitamin A (not carotene), I have found that the dose of progesterone can be reduced each month. Using thyroid will usually reduce the amount of progesterone needed. Occasionally, a woman won't feel any effect even from 100 mg. of progesterone; I think this indicates that they need to use thyroid and diet, to normalize their estrogen, prolactin, and cortisol.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Although occasionally a short supplementation of progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid will decisively correct a problem, most often there has been something environmental-nutritional that had to be changed. If people don’t change their diet and/or problematic surroundings, then they are dependent on hormones, stimulants, antiinflammatories, etc." -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“But the function of melatonin all by itself, when it isn't surrounded by the appropriate other conditions, melatonin, in studies done in pig tissue, by a man named (Sirotkin?), pigs are relatively close to humans in having daytime habits, nighttime sleep and so on, which is very important for melatonin because it's a nighttime dominant hormone -- in pigs, he found that melatonin suppresses progesterone and raises estrogen, and this happens to be the same thing that low thyroid does.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Sometimes progesterone seems to be chronically deficienct (leading to slight-though possibly prolonged-menstruation, or amenorrhea), in women who exercise hard. Since progesterone can be converted into cortisone to handle stress, this would explain why well trained athletes (who need lots of cortisone) so often miss periods. It seems to be a simple over-consumption of progesterone, which is probably a reasonable biological adaptation, preventing pregnancy during times of stress.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Our results showed that administration of estrogen induced constipation via a decrease in bowel movement in both male and female mice, but progesterone did not. This result suggests that estrogen, rather than progesterone, may be a detrimental factor of constipation caused by female sex steroid hormones, however, it does not show agreement with some reports [21-23] suggesting that progesterone is an important risk factor for constipation in women, and this hypothesis was supported by results indicating that females had greater frequency of constipation during menses [24,25] and pregnancy [5]. High progesterone levels contribute to inhibition of bowel motility and cause constipation [26]. However, findings of a recent study suggested the possibility that estrogen, rather than progesterone, may be responsible for the delay in gastric emptying and increase in colonic transit time observed in pregnancy [27]. Parenteral administration of estradiol, the predominant estrogen during reproductive years, to rats resulted in inhibited gastric emptying [28]. On the other hand, female rats treated with progesterone did not show a decrease in colon myoelectric signal, suggesting no constipation by female sex steroid hormones in virgin female rats [29]. Our study involving administration of female sex steroid hormones, such as estrogen and progesterone to male mice, appears to be the first study to evaluate the effect of these hormones on constipation. In conclusion, estrogen, rather than progesterone, may be a detrimental factor of constipation via decreased bowel movement in mice.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Progesterone exerts a sleep induction or hypnotic effect and is a potent respiratory stimulant that has been associated to a decrease in the number of central and obstructive sleep apnea episodes in men. The literature also contains a substantial amount of data on the effect of apnea in women with obesity-hypoventilation during menopause. This review attempts to outline the specific role of progesterone in normal sleep and breathing as well as its possible therapeutic effects in the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@alywest posted this in the thread blow…

“I'm not personally sure what the relationship is between Ray Peat and Kenogen, however I have received correspondence from the president of Kenogen assuring me that the product is formulated containing extremely high quality vitamin E with absolutely not residual soy protein or polyunsaturated soy oils. Upon further information gathering I also was made aware that the symptoms of painful breasts that some women experience may be due to Vitamin D deficiency.”

Snicky

As a guy, I've experienced bleeding and week gums after taking progesterone for about a week. So, this makes sense to me.
I have this now and had taken progesterone. I wondered if that was causing thus gingivitis flare up! Dang annoying and irritating… hoping it goes away soon.

Mossy

I have this now and had taken progesterone. I wondered if that was causing thus gingivitis flare up! Dang annoying and irritating… hoping it goes away soon.
Are you still on the progesterone?

Snicky

Are you still on the progesterone?
I stopped taking it, also because I went abroad for the holidays and did not want to travel with it. I think the gingivitis cleared up w/in a few days. This was all in the past week. I had accidentally squeezed out a bit extra and put all in my mouth (rubbed my gums) and w/in one to two days that side especially was inflamed. Was really uncomfortable… Maybe not going to put it in my mouth in the future…

Mossy

I stopped taking it, also because I went abroad for the holidays and did not want to travel with it. I think the gingivitis cleared up w/in a few days. This was all in the past week. I had accidentally squeezed out a bit extra and put all in my mouth (rubbed my gums) and w/in one to two days that side especially was inflamed. Was really uncomfortable… Maybe not going to put it in my mouth in the future…
That would be interesting to know if you swallow it or put it in a capsule and take it, if you get this same effect. It's been so long since I've taken it, I don't recall if every method of taking it produced that effect. I could guess that all did—but just a guess.

Snicky

That would be interesting to know if you swallow it or put it in a capsule and take it, if you get this same effect. It's been so long since I've taken it, I don't recall if every method of taking it produced that effect. I could guess that all did—but just a guess.
I can experiment and report back. It’ll be in about 3 weeks or so….

Mossy

I can experiment and report back. It’ll be in about 3 weeks or so….
That would be interesting to know, if you happen to be taking it any way.

Snicky

That would be interesting to know, if you happen to be taking it any way.
Good timing. So the gingivitis is back. Same side/location. Started in earnest yesterday on D2 of my period. Maybe the hormones (Progesterone) are high again?

In any case, it’s really driving me crazy so I charged up my water pick, oil pulled, dug like crazy at the gumline to remove anything…

I’m going to hit the oil pulling and water flossing hard, salt water rinses, too, and maybe try to get a dental cleaning in 3 weeks or so to see if that helps. Hoping to clear it up on my own ASAP and not suffer at the dentist.

I had some tooth decay a year ago before I read RP stuff and made changes. At the time I was drinking oat milk, not normal milk… and was eating a lot of oats and dates. I started to notice sensitivity… and immediately looked into dietary changes that would help. Dumped oats, added more dairy; the raw milk seemed to halt the decay and the sensitivity went away completely but I think not all the decay has filled back in 11 months later.

I really want to manage all my oral care via diet and home/natural remedies, with sn occasional manual cleaning, and avoid major dental interventions.

But this gum thing is so weird! And a bit stressful for me.

Snicky

Good timing. So the gingivitis is back. Same side/location. Started in earnest yesterday on D2 of my period. Maybe the hormones (Progesterone) are high again?

In any case, it’s really driving me crazy so I charged up my water pick, oil pulled, dug like crazy at the gumline to remove anything…

I’m going to hit the oil pulling and water flossing hard, salt water rinses, too, and maybe try to get a dental cleaning in 3 weeks or so to see if that helps. Hoping to clear it up on my own ASAP and not suffer at the dentist.

I had some tooth decay a year ago before I read RP stuff and made changes. At the time I was drinking oat milk, not normal milk… and was eating a lot of oats and dates. I started to notice sensitivity… and immediately looked into dietary changes that would help. Dumped oats, added more dairy; the raw milk seemed to halt the decay and the sensitivity went away completely but I think not all the decay has filled back in 11 months later.

I really want to manage all my oral care via diet and home/natural remedies, with sn occasional manual cleaning, and avoid major dental interventions.

Just an update that my efforts seem to be moving the needle… I think the oil pulling is really helpful. I am hitting those gumlines hard (ie; multi-tactic), though, with the water pick, rinses and the oil pulling. I also took an oregano oil capsule for more systemic anti-microbial action.

I might try a clove cotton compress tomorrow
between the top and bottom tooth where the epicenter seems to be. But I will do oil pulling first thing in the morning… and overall assess how well the gums held up overnight.

I used to oil pull daily for a few years and my teeth/mouth were never in better condition. I think I need to make it a routine here on out again.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I used to oil pull daily for a few years and my teeth/mouth were never in better condition. I think I need to make it a routine here on out again.
Thanks for the reminder Snicky! I am gonna get back to taking the time to oil pull again too!

Mossy

Sorry to hear it's back. Are you attributing this directly to the progesterone? If so, how were you taking it?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Haidut said in his thread linked below…

“Aspirin could help, if applied directly to the tooth. Maybe putting progesterone on the tooth could work too.
Aspirin Could Reverse The Effects Of Tooth Decay

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals