The Age Pigment Lipofuscin And The Fountain Of Youth

YourUniverse

@Jared
@Jared , have you tried methylene blue with vitamin C? Or vitamin b2?

Methylene blue:
I saw haidut and someone else mention using topical methylene blue for lipofuscin:
Methylene Blue (MB) Is A Potent Aromatase Inhibitor

But I read that applied by itself, it can stain the skin temporarily (not good if it's your face). But apparently if it is mixed with vitamin C, it would lose its color/not stain?

I haven't tried it myself but came across it while researching ideas on how to remove LP. My father has some that he'd like to get rid of.

Nitric Oxide, KMUD 2014
But, in recent years, the old dye, it was used as a treatment for malaria 100 years ago, called methylene blue, it's a common lab chemical used for showing the presence of a reducing compound, for example, Vitamin C, turns it white.
I saw someone mentioning it here but I don't think they followed up: Ideas For Taking Methylene Blue Without Staining My Dental Fillings?

Vitamin B2:
I also read about B2 being used to treat lipofuscin:
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) Reduces Lipofuscin, May Extend Lifespan
Haidut writes his "guess is the scaling factor would be about 1/10, so a dose of 20mg - 25mg daily in humans should replicate the design of the study."
But also cautions taking B2 in isolation "seems to cause issues for some people and when taken in combination with the other B vitamins the issues often disappear."

One forum member "HLP" seemed to have good results with it:
"Also, I have used P5P Riboflavin for age spots quite successfully."

"Riboflavin P5P has caused some of my "age spots" to dry up and fall off."
"36.5 mg daily P5P Riboflavin (Thorne)"

I am curious to see if anyone has had success with either MB or B2.

Really interesting stuff, thanks for this information. As a lipofuscin removal cheatsheet:

-coffee (B2 and caffeine)
-niacinamide, aspirin, MB
-vitamin E
-low dose alcohol (1-2 daily vodka drinks)

On second look.... it looks like, just having a robust metabolism, with daily alcohol, should do the trick eventually

Last edited:

baccheion

Doesn't CoQ10 remove lipofuscin? And acetylcholine-related products (DMAE, acetyl L-carnitine, vitamin E, riboflavin, etc) by preventing more accumulation?

I remember reading something about CoQ10 decoloring the heart.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Sarcosine Is Uniquely Modulated by Aging and Dietary Restriction in Rodents and Humans
"In fact, autophagosomes containing high-density lipofuscin pigment (indicative of poor degradation) were highly abundant in the control group but rarely observed in the sarcosine-fed animals (Figure S7E), while the percentage of vacuoles that matured into autolysosomes increased from <30% to >70% after only 10 days of sarcosine supplementation"

"We observed that sarcosine can directly stimulate basal macroautophagy in a dose-dependent manner in vitro and that this effect was recapitulated in vivoby sarcosine feeding, as demonstrated by an increase in autophagic flux and the clearance of autophagosomes and autophagic-like structures filled with lipofuscin-like dense material that accumulates in aged livers."

Sarcosine is created from glycine. Time to stock up.

baccheion

Sarcosine Is Uniquely Modulated by Aging and Dietary Restriction in Rodents and Humans
"In fact, autophagosomes containing high-density lipofuscin pigment (indicative of poor degradation) were highly abundant in the control group but rarely observed in the sarcosine-fed animals (Figure S7E), while the percentage of vacuoles that matured into autolysosomes increased from <30% to >70% after only 10 days of sarcosine supplementation"

"We observed that sarcosine can directly stimulate basal macroautophagy in a dose-dependent manner in vitro and that this effect was recapitulated in vivoby sarcosine feeding, as demonstrated by an increase in autophagic flux and the clearance of autophagosomes and autophagic-like structures filled with lipofuscin-like dense material that accumulates in aged livers."

Sarcosine is created from glycine. Time to stock up.
It is also similar to the acetylcholine metabolite trimethylglycine. Maybe that's why DMAE, centrophenoxine, acetyl L-carnitine, etc work in this regard. And maybe even riboflavin and vitamin E (both increase acetylcholine), though vitamin E also has antioxidant action.

Kykeon

has peat ever shared the source or the study that found out about the effect? i would really like to see it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals