"The common causes of hypothyroidism are..."

narouz

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
4,429
Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or "aerobic" (i .e., anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts. unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, or mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of a stimulating life.
-Ray Peat, From PMS to Menopause: Female Hormones in Context

(I particularly like that "breathless exercise instead of a stimulating life."
Peat to all us exercisers: "Get a life!" :lol: )
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,756
Location
USA
Fine, it's time to get stimulated. Wait what? :holysheep
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,756
Location
USA
My doctor is a vegan. Imagine that.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,756
Location
USA
I think I was hypothyroid since conception. :(
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,756
Location
USA
Oh, and he is a long distance runner. He looks very frail.
 

narouz

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
4,429
Charlie said:
Oh, and he is a long distance runner. He looks very frail.
It's the Peat diet/exercise program from hell. :?
 

gretchen

Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
816
Charlie said:
I think I was hypothyroid since conception. :(

Yeah, actually..... :? I was cold a lot as a kid and hardly ate anything. Overeating was never my problem, not even as a teen really. My mom was not a big eater either; neither parent is.
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,771
Location
UK
Charlie said:
I think I was hypothyroid since conception. :(

I think I was too. As far as I can remember, as a kid I always had issues with being cold, acne, lethargic, brain fog, light sleep then insomnia... It seems like this forum has a few other hypothyroid members who are young and therefore might have been hypo quite early on too.

My worry is that maybe we're in a different situation than those getting hypo later in life and are able to go back to normal with a Peat diet or thyroid supps. I don't know if the latter is a possibility for me.

My opinion on Peating so far - at 26 yrs old and after less than a year of Peat - is that it really feels like the right thing to do and my condition has greatly improved. However I still have some issues, and I will probably always have some unless I find a way to fix my temps which I just cannot manage to increase and reach healthy levels despite a strict diet and supplements (thyroid, pregnelonone, progesterone etc). My hope is that there are some Peat ideas that I haven't explored yet, or that I will heal by continuing Peating over time.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,756
Location
USA
Once I get enough thyroid in me, temps and heart rate come up nicely. Hang in there jyb. You will get it figured out.
 

SheilaHelm1

Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
81
Age
51
Location
Lancashire UK
I'm 43 and been hypo since age 5, it has definitely affected bone health.. and bone shape I think. Broda Barnes mentions that bones can grow oddly in hypo patients leading to problems later in life. Boy was he right!!! Dear Dispersible Aspirin - I love you.xx
 

narouz

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
4,429
jyb said:
Charlie said:
I think I was hypothyroid since conception. :(

I think I was too. As far as I can remember, as a kid I always had issues with being cold, acne, lethargic, brain fog, light sleep then insomnia... It seems like this forum has a few other hypothyroid members who are young and therefore might have been hypo quite early on too.

My worry is that maybe we're in a different situation than those getting hypo later in life and are able to go back to normal with a Peat diet or thyroid supps. I don't know if the latter is a possibility for me.

My opinion on Peating so far - at 26 yrs old and after less than a year of Peat - is that it really feels like the right thing to do and my condition has greatly improved. However I still have some issues, and I will probably always have some unless I find a way to fix my temps which I just cannot manage to increase and reach healthy levels despite a strict diet and supplements (thyroid, pregnelonone, progesterone etc). My hope is that there are some Peat ideas that I haven't explored yet, or that I will heal by continuing Peating over time.

jyb-
You may've stated it somewhere already,
but...what kind and dosage of thyroid are you taking?
Have you been diagnosed?
Brief thyroid supplement history?
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,771
Location
UK
narouz said:
jyb said:
Charlie said:
I think I was hypothyroid since conception. :(

I think I was too. As far as I can remember, as a kid I always had issues with being cold, acne, lethargic, brain fog, light sleep then insomnia... It seems like this forum has a few other hypothyroid members who are young and therefore might have been hypo quite early on too.

My worry is that maybe we're in a different situation than those getting hypo later in life and are able to go back to normal with a Peat diet or thyroid supps. I don't know if the latter is a possibility for me.

My opinion on Peating so far - at 26 yrs old and after less than a year of Peat - is that it really feels like the right thing to do and my condition has greatly improved. However I still have some issues, and I will probably always have some unless I find a way to fix my temps which I just cannot manage to increase and reach healthy levels despite a strict diet and supplements (thyroid, pregnelonone, progesterone etc). My hope is that there are some Peat ideas that I haven't explored yet, or that I will heal by continuing Peating over time.

jyb-
You may've stated it somewhere already,
but...what kind and dosage of thyroid are you taking?
Have you been diagnosed?
Brief thyroid supplement history?

Per day 1 cynomel and 1-2 cynoplus. I cut each pill into 8 approx. Tried NDT Thiroyd instead of cynomel but I didn't notice a difference.

Before supps, TSH were 5-6 based on 2 measurements, and had <0.01 TSH on supps based on 1 measurement.

My temps are not always correlated to my energy. I've had time when I felt good, yet temps were around 97.7 and vice-versa. But clearly I'm hypo based on temps and symptoms like energy, in the afternoon I don't go below 97.7 but its common for me to have a maximum temps of 98.1. My pulses however seem ok (usually 80+, sometimes 90+).
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,756
Location
USA
Jyb, have you tried aspirin? For me, aspirin, salt and thyroid seem to be the combination that creates the most heat.
 

narouz

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
4,429
jyb-
I had this kind of a situation with my combo (either Cynoplus or NDT) thyroid supplementation:
when I increased dosage enough to get my temps/pulses up to where they Peatishly should be,
my tests would come back high RT3 and miniscule TSH.

The extremely low TSH could be regarded as good by Peat,
except for the fact that he doesn't think the test is very reliable at assessing thyroid function.
My doctor interpreted the teensy TSH as indicating "over-corrected" thyroid function--
that is, I was taking too much thyroid supp.

He also saw the high RT3 as backing that up:
too much RT3 resulting from too much thyroid medication.

Now Peat wouldn't interpret those tests that way, I don't think.
First, as I've said, he doesn't trust TSH testing as an accurate indicator of thyroid function,
though he does tend to think the lower the better.
And I think he feels the same way about RT3--that is: just not reliable in assessing thyroid function.

Peat does say that for some people T4 can not only be ineffective, but counter-effective.
It can be anti-metabolic.
Seems that that is about as far as Peat goes down the road of Thyroid Resistance
in the sense of it being caused by excess T4 (from too much T4-containing supplements).

But that would seem at least to open the door for treatments like the RT3 Yahoo groups,
which seem to come from Kurt Holtorf, John Lowe, and perhaps Paul Robinson.
That is, so the theory goes: in some people, T4 clogs up the receptors,
blocking T3 conversion/absorption at various sites in the body.
The protocol is to take only T3, which in many people--after about 3 months--"clears" those receptors,
and then T3 can be used normally by the body.

There are a lot of possible explanative theories for why people taking thyroid supplements
still aren't able to raise their metabolism beyond a certain point.
The excess-T4-clogging-receptors is just one,
which is not really Peatian, but can be seen as in some ways consonant with Peatian views.
Other Peatian explanations are various deficiencies, like vitamin A, or magnesium, or red light, etc.
Or toxicity from PUFA.

Going back to my decision to try the T3-Only protocol:
it could be that before doing that
I just needed to disregard my doctor's interpretation--
that I was taking too much supplement--
and just go higher in my doses of Cynoplus or NDT.
This is possible.
I would note that, I did try that for a couple of months,
going from 150mg of Armour to 210 mg.
I felt about the same.
But my temps/pulses did respond, as I recall: my temps and pulses did go up.
I just didn't feel much, if any, better.
Not an adequate experiment.

So...to come back to your inability, jyb, to adequately raise you metabolism (temps anyhow):
what happens when you increase your thyroid supplement dosage?
 
J

j.

Guest
narouz said:
Peat does say that for some people T4 can not only be ineffective, but counter-effective.
It can be anti-metabolic.

One explanation he gave was that some people's liver don't convert T4 to T3 well, and the T4 one takes also shuts down thyroid gland activity and therefore T3 production, so one ends up with even less T3.
 

narouz

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
4,429
j. said:
narouz said:
Peat does say that for some people T4 can not only be ineffective, but counter-effective.
It can be anti-metabolic.

One explanation he gave was that some people's liver don't convert T4 to T3 well, and the T4 one takes also shuts down thyroid gland activity and therefore T3 production, so one ends up with even less T3.

Yes.
So he seems to see a different mechanism of "thyroid resistance" than the Yahoo RT3'ers, Holtorf, Lowe, etc.
Most of those guys seem to think the mechanism is the T3 "receptors" getting clogged with excess T4.
I put receptors in quotes because Peat seems to,
by which I think he is reminding that he doesn't buy into that way of seeing that cellular mechanism.
I think he sees it as part and parcel of the "lock and key" notion of hormones and receptors, which he disagrees with.

Still...I figure Holtorf et al may have the wrong overall vision and wrong mechanism,
but yet may still have come up with a legitimate treatment.
That is: it works, but not exactly for the reasons they propose.
 

Nick810

Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2012
Messages
124
Did years of beans.... undercooked brocolli etc and chronic cardio....

If only I knew then what I knew now :(
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
haidut Common food ingredient causes low IQ in babies Scientific Studies 1
R Sleep tests should be just as common as blood tests Miscellaneous Health Discussions 8
Sam321 Common Sense Protocol to Minimize Damage From J & J Vaccine Ask For Help or Advice 2
Giraffe Outbreak of common colds after 17 weeks of complete isolation Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 11
yerrag Japanese Kampo Medicines For The Treatment Of Common Diseases: Focus On Inflammation By Amazon.com S Book Recommendations 7
ScurveDream Common Cold/feeling "sick" Lots Of People Talk Of -- What Is The Explanation? Ask For Help or Advice 7
haidut Two Common Iron Supplements May Cause (aggressive) GI Cancer Scientific Studies 5
haidut A Common Probiotic Strain (lactobacillus) May Cause Lupus Scientific Studies 28
Cirion Compilation Of EMFs Of Common Everyday Objects Radiation 111
T Scientists Unravel The Structure Of Common Bacterial Wall-building Protein Scientific Studies 0
kayumochi The Common Root Of Heart Disease And Cancer Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 0
M Medical Establishment Conspiracy To Conceal Lethal Risks Of Common Medical Procedure! Articles & Scientific Studies 23
Xisca Autism Has Much In Common With Chronic Fatigue, Methyl Cycle And Glutathione Depletion Autism 7
J Is There A Common Cause For Chronic Gut Issues? Digestion 68
M Common Food Additive Promotes Colon Cancer In Mice Additives 23
Amazoniac 5 Common Regrets Of The Dying The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 11
haidut Common Additive Titanium Dioxide Is Neurotoxic Scientific Studies 36
Westside PUFAs "Cataracts Are Twice As Common In Men Over The Age Of 65, Who Took Big Supplements Of Vit. E And Vit Vitamins 10
haidut A Common Vegetable Component Promotes Cancer Scientific Studies 1
N Context: Common Misinterpretations of Peat Ray Peat Topics 40
Rachel Common sense.. Random Quotes 4
N Common Misinterpretations Of A "Peat Diet" Discussing Dietary Models 3
charlie Omega 6 Content of Common Foods Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 4
V Causes of chronic bloating not associated with gas Digestion, Gut Flora 5
ddjd Taurine causes nerve pain issues. Niacinamide heals. What's the mechanism?? Ask For Help or Advice 6
haidut Stress (cortisol) causes pre-term birth by blocking progesterone Scientific Studies 0
A Study says low serotonin causes mice and rabbits to become gay Scientific Studies 3
haidut Inhibiting respiration/metabolism reliably causes bipolar disorder Scientific Studies 0
Hans Low carb diets shrink the brain and causes brain inflammation Scientific Studies 30
BearWithMe Boosting metabolism causes huge stress reaction in very well fed body Ask For Help or Advice 31
ecstatichamster Long known that exposure to coronavirus following vaccine causes lung danger Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 1
R Excessive HIIT exercise causes sudden and severe decline in mitochondria function Scientific Studies 3
haidut Keto (low-carb) diet causes heart fibrosis, blocks mitochondrial biogenesis Scientific Studies 16
haidut Childhood stress causes mental illness in adults by blunting androgens Scientific Studies 0
GorillaHead What Causes DHEAS to skyrocket? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 31
Hugh Johnson Anti–spike IgG causes severe acute lung injury by skewing macrophage responses during acute SARS-CoV infection Scientific Studies 0
V Raised scrotum causes/treatments? Male Issues 14
ursidae Causes of Hypochlorhydria Digestion 87
P Electric field causes 'DNA regression' Genes, Radiation 2
Q What causes atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease? Diet 4
Lokzo COVID‐19 pneumonia causes lower testosterone levels - PUBMED 2020 Scientific Studies 4
Anastasia Dosov White button mushroom causes incredible pain and gases :( Diet, Recipes 9
J High Saturated Fat/Cholesterol Causes Clogged Pores/Sebaceous Filaments Skin 7
G Lying On My Back Causes Irritation In The Gut? Digestion 1
Doludolu Feet Fingers Slight Redness, Itching, Joint Mild Pain - CAUSES? Symptoms, Causes 0
J DHT Causes Hair Loss, You Sure About That? Hair & Nails 212
haidut Dietary PUFA In Childhood Causes Diabetes And Irreversible (male) Infertility Scientific Studies 4
haidut Alcohol Causes Liver (and Other Organ) Damage By Lowering NAD/NADH Ratio Scientific Studies 0
D Calcium Carbonate (Eggshell Calcium) Causes Flat Stools? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Doludolu Weird Cyclical Symptoms That Come And Go Away. Causes ? Metabolism 3

Similar threads

Top