Sweating Fat Out Of Cheese

schultz

If you leave cheese around on the counter or something some of the fat does seem to collect on the surface.

I'm sure the ad agency that handles Cheez-It would love this concept... A fat loss sauna for their portly wheels of cheese. Yeah it's definitely bs. Some cheeses, mostly well-aged or sheep milk ones, will allow some fatty acids to surface at room temperature once the wheel is cut. It's especially noticeable with an older Manchego or pecorino.

Throw it in the oven and you're only going to lose moisture. It's a great way to ruin good cheese. You know that brand of snacks called moon cheese? It's basically dehydrated and baked cheese and it retains a full fat content. Perhaps cottage cheese or skyr are better choices for those looking for a low fat cheese solution.

And...Low fat and all cheap cheese uses enzymes that are allergenic. I only eat real rennet cheese. Vegetable rennet is another word for enzymes.

Well, to be fair, not all vegetarian rennet is microbial gmo rennet. There are a handful of traditional Portuguese and Sardinian cheeses that use cardoons/thistles for rennet but lamb/calf rennet yields superior results. Here in America the majority of artisan cheesemakers use gmo vegetarian rennet and often add additional enzymes. It's infuriating to see that on a label for a cheese costing $30+ a pound. I know of a few expensive American ones that are rubbed with soybean oil too lol. In Europe, egg white lysozyme is often used as well as natamycin. Parmigiano Reggiano is basically the only surefire way to go if you don't have time to look at the labels.

OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
Thanks all- the response from the poster certainly didn’t compute.

Tenacity

Aren't most of the vitamins in the fat anyways?
Skim milk has a higher vitamin content than cheese by calorie and by protein content. Most of the vitamins are water soluble - only vitamin E and K are higher in cheese than in milk.

Last edited:
Well the vitamins a and d are in the cream. As is some of the flavor and mouth feel. A percentage of the water soluble vitamins are lost with the whey in cheese so yes, skim milk contains more vitamins per serving. I don't see it as an either or deal though. You can eat cheese and drink skim milk. Personally, I prefer whole milk but will often use skim milk for cooking porridge/grits and add the fat back in through butter or creamed coconut /oil. For coffee though, whole milk tastes objectively superior to skim.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals