Super Oxide Dismutase Supplement Is Rocking My World

Anders86

I don’t get the pump effect that has been mentioned. FWIW I never got any pump from taking arginine or citrulline or beets either, I’ve also never needed NO help downstairs, so perhaps I am not the best person to comment on NO. I do get a somewhat relaxed effect, which I am attributing to there being less joint pain for me to be stressed over. I have also noticed one pill seems good for the whole day, if I take another a couple hours later I don’t notice much difference.

We don`t get a pump but the opposite, muscles and tissue relax. At least for me..

I have experienced a great pump with Citrulline and beets, often, especially as pre-workout. Cacao also, but that I believe is the Theobromine.

I have a Chaga as source so I have noe clue what doses I consume, but it should be one of richest sources in nature.

I just copied a random blogg:

• Chaga mushrooms are a powerful antioxidant and source of superoxide dismutase (SOD) which halts oxidation, especially free radicals like singlet oxygen responsible for damaging tissues
  • Chaga mushrooms are a source of 200 + phytonutrients
  • Chaga Contains significant amounts of riboflavin and niacin
  • The Chaga Mushroom contains B and D vitamins, flavonoids, phenols, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc iron and enzymes
  • One of nature's riches sources of the minerals rubidium, potassium, cesium and germanium; everything the body needs to remain alkaline
  • A great source of pantothenic acid which aids the adrenal glands and digestive organs
  • The Chaga Mushroom has been used for improving cognitive function and memory loss.
  • Chaga is a vital source of plant based sterols which reduce bad LDL cholesterol, stabilizes blood pressure, increases metabolism and aids the endocrine system
  • The Chaga Mushroom that comes from Birch trees are also rich in Betulinic Acid which as been used to to shrink some types of cancerous tumors.
The Chaga Mushroom is a superior medicinal mushroom containing over 215 phytonutrients, glyconutrients including: Betulinic Acid, Polysaccharides, Beta Glucans, Tripeptides, Triterpenes including Lanosterol-type Triterpenes, Sterols, Saponins, Inotodiols, Trametenolic Acid and Melanin.

High in Amino Acids, Dietary Fiber, Ionized Trace Minerals (Copper, Selenium, Zinc, Magnese, Iron), Ionized Essential minerals (Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Chloride, Sodium, Phosphorus), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin), B3 (Niacin), Vitamin D2 (Ergosterol), which is not found in vegetables.

https://www.annandachaga.com/pages/chagahealthbenefits

Anders86

No it's the opposite. Nitric oxide definitely definitely increases vasodilation

I see.
I misunderstood the term vasoconstriction and vasodilation. Sorry, I meant vasodilation.

Last edited:

benaoao

You make it sound so simple when it isn't. If you can elaborate and make clear distinctions, it would help the discussion.

But there aren’t any clear distinctions. It’s not a Marvel movie with good and bad guys. Everything happens in a different context in a different individual.

OP
Captain_Coconut
I see.
I misunderstood the term vasoconstriction and vasodilation. Sorry, I meant vasodilation.
And I misunderstood you and @Joeyd haha. I misread your post earlier to mean you get a SOD pump which is then followed by a slump. I thought NO would basically create a pump, more blood flowing through vasodilation. I am not noticing anything like this, no warming effect, I have gotten vasodilation from ginseng or hot peppers in the past.

yerrag

But there aren’t any clear distinctions. It’s not a Marvel movie with good and bad guys. Everything happens in a different context in a different individual.
You're right. It's not that easy.

Dave Clark

I keep hearing the same about SOD as I do about glutathione, that it doesn't survive the stomach acid/digestion. While it may not apply to glutathione, it seems that some SOD products like Glisodin (which is the melon SOD coated with the gliadin from wheat)protect the SOD from that and deliver it unharmed to be absorbed. Glutathione's issue with digestion is, if I understand correctly, that it gets broken down into it's individual amino acids, and doesn't stay intact. Where with SOD, I believe it just gets destroyed by stomach acid, that is why enteric coating of some kind is needed. Makes you wonder how much SOD from food source really gets absorbed. Anybody know anything about this?

OP
Captain_Coconut
I keep hearing the same about SOD as I do about glutathione, that it doesn't survive the stomach acid/digestion. While it may not apply to glutathione, it seems that some SOD products like Glisodin (which is the melon SOD coated with the gliadin from wheat)protect the SOD from that and deliver it unharmed to be absorbed. Glutathione's issue with digestion is, if I understand correctly, that it gets broken down into it's individual amino acids, and doesn't stay intact. Where with SOD, I believe it just gets destroyed by stomach acid, that is why enteric coating of some kind is needed. Makes you wonder how much SOD from food source really gets absorbed. Anybody know anything about this?

I wish I knew too. I have read mixed things. I have read that whole food sources may somehow make it through... but have not seen studies to back this up... or to back up the contrary (pure sod without enteric coating being destroyed by stomach acid). I haven’t dug very deep in to the literature though I have seen studies showing for instance rats fed bitter melon showing large increases in SOD.... but perhaps the g.i. transit time is quite different from humans. As a side note have read that supposedly vitamin E may help to boost SOD levels. I only take vit E a couple times a week, but am considering trying daily dosing now. It’s just amazing how little definitive and accessible information there is on the subject of SOD. It seems like it was a more popular subject matter in the 80s than it is now, not sure why that is - longevity research shifted away from anti-oxidant hype in general - but I think SOD may have been thrown out with the bathwater (Vit C etc). I also read somewhere that Okinawans traditionally would drink bitter melon tea before most meals.... no idea if this is true, but intriguing thing to research. The other mystery to me: lemons have a high SOD content.... they are just as acidic as stomach acid, so why then does SOD stay in tact in a lemon? Is this as simple as SOD reacting differently to hydrochloric acid? Is there a lot of super oxide in the stomach itself which neutralizes it? Is it all clever disinfo / marketing? A study I was looking at also indicated some vegatables lose SOD after cooking while others remain largely in tact... e.g. lemon is basically stable while parsnip is not.... strange! Would taking e.g. melon juice with sodium bicarbonate on an empty stomach allow the SOD to pass in tact? Seriously frustrating how little I can find about this!!

Last edited:

Anders86

This is why I take my Chaga sublingually

Dave Clark

I wish I knew too. I have read mixed things. I have read that whole food sources may somehow make it through... but have not seen studies to back this up... or to back up the contrary (pure sod without enteric coating being destroyed by stomach acid). I haven’t dug very deep in to the literature though I have seen studies showing for instance rats fed bitter melon showing large increases in SOD.... but perhaps the g.i. transit time is quite different from humans. As a side note have read that supposedly vitamin E may help to boost SOD levels. I only take vit E a couple times a week, but am considering trying daily dosing now. It’s just amazing how little definitive and accessible information there is on the subject of SOD. It seems like it was a more popular subject matter in the 80s than it is now, not sure why that is - longevity research shifted away from anti-oxidant hype in general - but I think SOD may have been thrown out with the bathwater (Vit C etc). I also read somewhere that Okinawans traditionally would drink bitter melon tea before most meals.... no idea if this is true, but intriguing thing to research. The other mystery to me: lemons have a high SOD content.... they are just as acidic as stomach acid, so why then does SOD stay in tact in a lemon? Is this as simple as SOD reacting differently to hydrochloric acid? Is there a lot of super oxide in the stomach itself which neutralizes it? Is it all clever disinfo / marketing? A study I was looking at also indicated some vegatables lose SOD after cooking while others remain largely in tact... e.g. lemon is basically stable while parsnip is not.... strange! Would taking e.g. melon juice with sodium bicarbonate on an empty stomach allow the SOD to pass in tact? Seriously frustrating how little I can find about this!!
Just for clarification: when you say bitter melon, are you talking about the bitter melon that is used by the Malaysians, Chinese, Indians, etc. for digestion benefits and blood sugar control? I thought the melons that SOD came from was a different type of melon. The bitter melon, if you look at pictures, actually looks like a bumpy cucumber that grows on a vine, not like a cantalope, etc. I believe, but not sure, that the melons used to extract SOD are not the bitter melon, but if you know different, please advise.

OP
Captain_Coconut

ddjd

I put this one off for years, because the story was always that it could not be absorbed as stomach acids would render it useless. I read so many good things though that I decided hey why not, it was not very expensive and I have blown more money on way more questionable supplements over the years. The one I take is liver derived, and enteric coated, and also has the other major antioxidants, catalase and glutathione. Been taking at same time as NAC on empty stomach first thing in morning now for this past week. The logic is NAC boosts intracellular SOD, while the supplement boosts extracellular. I am experiencing almost total lack of neck pain, shoulder pain, joint pain, foot and wrist pain etc, areas which have been bothering me generally for the last decade. Whats more amazing is there was serious calcification or something like that in my neck that I could feel and hear when I massaged around my neck bones, a gritty sand like quality, well that is completely gone within just the past week of being on this. It is a dream come true! The same gritty quality at the bottom of my feet is now clearing up too. I know that antioxidants are just a part of health, but wow, this is really something else!! I’m going to go ahead and say it is the most under-rated supplement ever. I am amazed to see how few reviews for sod products are out there, considering these kind of products have been available for decades now, strange it has so little hype. Well here I am hyping it!
Been several years, are you still supplementing SOD?

ursidae

So what would cause low tissue SOD but glutathione is fine?
Melatonin stimulates skin cells to produce SOD. In acne, which is very similar to hair loss, the cell starts producing superoxide anions against the p acne bacteria and (if present) SOD scavenges the anion
Probably a reason why someone in your hairloss thread was cured by melatonin

RealNeat

This article overemphasizes the free radical theory of aging and follows the "all oxidation bad" mentality Ray rips on along with the assumption that Spirulina SOD survives stomach acid while isolated supps don't. But interesting none the less. I used to take a lot of Hawaiin Spirulina, felt good, besides disgusting flavor and horrible burps and flatulence...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals