Role of oxidative stress / ROS in androgenic alopecia - main mechanism?

Decreased total antioxidant activity and increased MDA levels found in plasma samples of patients with androgenetic alopecia are indicators of oxidative stress presence in these patients.

Balding DPCs secreted higher levels of the negative hair growth regulators transforming growth factor beta 1 and 2 in response to H2O2 but not cell culture–associated oxidative stress. Balding DPCs had higher levels of catalase and total glutathione but appear to be less able to handle oxidative stress compared with occipital DPCs.

The progression of androgenetic alopecia is closely related to androgen-inducible transforming growth factor (TGF)-β1 secretion by hair follicle dermal papilla cells (DPCs) in bald scalp. Physiological levels of androgen exposure were reported to increase reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation.

The AR stably-transfected DP-6 cells were incubated with synthetic androgen, R1881. Intracellular production of ROS markedly increased with R1881 treatment in DP-6 cells, which was measured by flow cytometry and laser scanning confocal microscopy. Furthermore, androgen-inducible TGF-β1 was significantly suppressed by several species of ROS scavenger or inhibitors.

Here we show that human keratinocytes treated with PGD2 show enhanced capacity to convert the weak androgen, androstenedione, to testosterone. ... Our study suggests the existence of a possible crosstalk between the PGD2-reactive oxygen species axis and testosterone metabolism in keratinocytes.

Oxidative stress could easily be one of the main mechanism by which the excessive androgenic load on AGA hair follicles causes them to die. How do we combat this?

Personally, I have experimented with various antioxidants. Oral or topical glutathione COMPLETELY stop my hair loss and cause slow regrowth (Finasteride and most other things did not). Taking NAC as a precursor does not work as well or at all. If a simple antioxidant can stop hair loss then that would suggest that the majority of damage must occur via the ROS->TGF-beta->catagen angle.

Unfortunately for whatever reason NAC and glutathione (and most other antioxidants) cause me pain/burning in the groin area (along with testicles being tight and shrunken) which is quite uncomfortable. I suspect this might be a consequence of too MUCH antioxidant activity in that part of the body while elsewhere I feel totally fine (libido and mood are normal). If I could find a way to mitigate this side effect I would have my cure for hair loss. I haven't found any information online that someone else experiences this so it must be something specific to my body chemistry but it's extremely discouraging to not be able to use such effective and otherwise safe treatment due to some strange side effect like this.

Anyway I am posting this to encourage other people to experiment with things like this as you may find you tolerate it better and it just does the trick for you. I think we should look into how to increase the antioxidant / glutathione production in the hair follicles themselves. It sounds like they are already trying that but the ROS load is simply too high for the local antioxidant mechanisms to cope with.

Inaut

well there's definitely some truth to this. hydrogen gas/brown's gas has been reported to help with hair loss and I think it's because it's a selective antioxidant. I know this will not be approved by most members of the forum due possible "estrogenic" activity but chaparral contains NDGA which is reported to be one of the most powerful antioxidants. I'm using it in combination with MB/black seed/ and pau d'arco. Nothing crazy but maybe 1g a day in capsule form. Just started taking it so obviously no comments regarding hair regrowth but i do think there's a place for it. My main man @Jam reignited my interest in the plant.

lizasigareva

Decreased total antioxidant activity and increased MDA levels found in plasma samples of patients with androgenetic alopecia are indicators of oxidative stress presence in these patients.

Balding DPCs secreted higher levels of the negative hair growth regulators transforming growth factor beta 1 and 2 in response to H2O2 but not cell culture–associated oxidative stress. Balding DPCs had higher levels of catalase and total glutathione but appear to be less able to handle oxidative stress compared with occipital DPCs.

The progression of androgenetic alopecia is closely related to androgen-inducible transforming growth factor (TGF)-β1 secretion by hair follicle dermal papilla cells (DPCs) in bald scalp. Physiological levels of androgen exposure were reported to increase reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation.

The AR stably-transfected DP-6 cells were incubated with synthetic androgen, R1881. Intracellular production of ROS markedly increased with R1881 treatment in DP-6 cells, which was measured by flow cytometry and laser scanning confocal microscopy. Furthermore, androgen-inducible TGF-β1 was significantly suppressed by several species of ROS scavenger or inhibitors.

Здесь мы показываем, что кератиноциты человека, обработанные PGD2, демонстрируют повышенную способность превращать слабый андроген, андростендион, в тестостерон. ... Наше исследование предполагает существование возможной перекрестной связи между осью PGD2-реактивных форм кислорода и метаболизмом тестостерона в кератиноцитах.

Окислительный стресс легко может быть одним из основных механизмов, при котором чрезмерная андрогенная нагрузка на волосяные фолликулы AGA приводит к их гибели. Как мы с этим боремся?

Лично я экспериментировал с различными антиоксидантами. Пероральный или местный глутатион ПОЛНОСТЬЮ останавливает выпадение волос и вызывает медленный отрастание (финастерид и большинство других препаратов этого не сделали). Прием NAC в качестве прекурсора не работает или вообще не работает. Если простой антиоксидант может остановить выпадение волос, то это предполагает, что большая часть повреждений должна происходить через угол АФК-> TGF-бета-> катаген.

К сожалению, по какой-то причине NAC и глутатион (и большинство других антиоксидантов) вызывают у меня боль/жжение в области паха (наряду с тугими и сморщенными яичками), что довольно неудобно. Я подозреваю, что это может быть следствием слишком СИЛЬНОЙ антиоксидантной активности в этой части тела, в то время как в других местах я чувствую себя совершенно нормально (либидо и настроение в норме). Если бы я мог найти способ смягчить этот побочный эффект, у меня было бы лекарство от выпадения волос. Я не нашел в Интернете никакой информации о том, что кто-то еще испытывает это, поэтому это должно быть что-то особенное для химии моего тела, но крайне обескураживает невозможность использовать такое эффективное и в остальном безопасное лечение из-за какого-то странного побочного эффекта.

В любом случае, я публикую это, чтобы побудить других людей экспериментировать с подобными вещами, поскольку вы можете обнаружить, что переносите это лучше, и это просто помогает вам. Я думаю, мы должны изучить, как увеличить выработку антиоксидантов/глутатиона в самих волосяных фолликулах. Похоже, что они уже пытаются это сделать, но нагрузка АФК просто слишком высока, чтобы местные антиоксидантные механизмы могли с ней справиться.
sorry where do you get a topical glutathione?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals