Theanine Is Ahhhh-mazing

thegiantess

I had my doubts about Theanine and all be hype around it on this forum. I had used it here and there in the past and never really noticed much. However I have an acute stress I am trying to supplement my way out of (posted about here before asking for a supp stack) and the upcoming stress (family visit from people I don't get along with) had my shoulders/traps/neck completely locked up. That area was so tense it was hard to move my head. I tried a lot of things including: magnesium, Epsom baths, massage and release, potassium, aspirin, etc etc. Nothing worked. I started to accept that I would just be a knotted ball of stress until they left. And then yesterday I took 200mg Theanine first thing in the morning and about 2 hours later I noticed I could move my head freely and there was little pain remaining. !!!! Once the pain returned I dosed Theanine again and holy hell, it worked. I can hardly believe it. I am very pleased of course, but also a bit disturbed that the physical manifestation of emotional stress might literally be all in my head.

DaveFoster

Glad it worked. If someone offered me either theanine or caffeine, I'd choose theanine in a heartbeat.

meatbag

I took 200mg Theanine first thing in the morning and about 2 hours later I noticed I could move my head freely and there was little pain remaining

That's awesome! What brand of theanine are you using?

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

That's awesome! What brand of theanine are you using?

Jarrow. I think it has some less than desirable excipients, but I wanted to use up the bottle I had. I can't even imagine how fantastic a more pure source would be.

LukeL

Theanine seems to ease my scalp itch! Nothing else I have tried has come close to the relief I get from Theanine. Haidut informed me that Theanine is a mast cell stabilizer. Mast cells are more concentrated in balding men (I've had significant diffuse thinning). There is a process called "mast cell degranulation" that occurs in which pro-iflammatory "vasoactive mediators" such as HISTAMINE and "eicosanoids" such as PROSTAGLANDIN D2 are released from mast cells. PGD2 is elevated in the scalps of balding men. So my hunch is, the itchiness I am experiencing is from MC Degranulation and the subsequent inlammatory mediators.

I am currently focusing on anything that can stabilize mast cells as I believe it will continue to give me relief from scalp itch and halt hair loss (along with proper diet of course).

Niacinamide is also an inhibitor of "pro inflammatory cytokines" i.e. HISTAMINE
Nicotinamide is a potent inhibitor of proinflammatory cytokines. - PubMed - NCBI
[Effect of pyridoxine on histamine liberation and degranulation of rat mast cells]. - PubMed - NCBI

Vitamin K2 seems to have an inhibitory effect as well
Menaquinone (vitamin K2) therapy for bronchial asthma. I. Mechanism of action menaquinone on allergic reactions. - PubMed - NCBI

Pet Peeve

I think it's interesting that before I started peating, 400 mg Jarrow theanine used to get me really high, almost too much the first times I tried it. It was really pleasant and unlike anything else. Now I don't feel anything. I'm wondering if I had a compromised blood brain barrier or something that I've since corrected.

Diogo

I am having the same issue and at times I just can't be logical while trying for a highly logical job, and used L-Theanine once and it was simply amazing.

I am now fearful of using it too much and getting a tolerance build up to the Stress reversal effects of it and haven't yet found any piece of evidence in regards to it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals