L-Theanine; How Many Mg Per Day Is Safe?

lindsay

I've heard some positive and negative things about L-Theanine on here, so I finally decided to order some and give it a try. My problem is that I am incredibly calm and relaxed and stress-free most of the time; except when it comes to my work as a photographer. I have tried lots of things to counteract this stress and nothing has worked for me..... yet. I intend to seriously take up meditation in the future and have already started, as well as yoga. But the problem is, the anticipation leading up to a big work day is worse than the actual day. I can deal with the work, it's the anticipation that's the issue and it makes me lose sleep for one or two nights before (think about what could go wrong, etc.) and can cause digestive upset for a week ahead of time.

While I intend to conquer the stress all together in the future, part of me thinks it's my wiring - I've always been nervous before big events. So in learning how to deal with it, I'm trying anything I can - pregnenolone definitely helps, but I've been wanting to try L-theanine, so I got some. My L-theanine arrived today and I felt the first small dose immediately (probably 80 mg). But the effects don't seem to last very long. I don't like the idea of taking a lot at once, so was wondering how many smaller doses are safe throughout the day and up to a total amount? What doses have you all found effective?

Many thanks :)

Elle

This is one of the few supplements that I've actually only had success with. I've read that you can take up to 1200 mg daily. I can be extremely sensitive to caffeine and supplements and I will often get palpitations from those that are supposed to induce relaxation, but I've taken somewhere between 800-900 mg in a day and only felt benefits. I have been taking it to help increase my caffeine tolerance and I take extra if I've overdone the coffee or take a supplement that causes my heart to race. I usually take 300-400 mg with my coffee and it seems to be effective for 3-4 hours. If I drink more coffee after that, I take another dose. It also seemed to suppress my appetite for a while, but (sadly) that effect seems to have passed.

I would probably just find the minimal dose that gets you your desired level of relaxation and take that as needed throughout the day. It's extremely non toxic, so don't worry about that.
I think the body builds a tolerance to it, so it may take a bigger dose to get the same effect after a few days of consistent use. I usually go for 100mg-300mg, I only use it intermittently for sleep, I don't find the intense relaxation useful during the day.

Do not take before driving!

Elle

I would probably just find the minimal dose that gets you your desired level of relaxation and take that as needed throughout the day. It's extremely non toxic, so don't worry about that.
I think the body builds a tolerance to it, so it may take a bigger dose to get the same effect after a few days of consistent use. I usually go for 100mg-300mg, I only use it intermittently for sleep, I don't find the intense relaxation useful during the day.

I didn't realize it actually relaxed anyone enough for to induce sleepiness. Interesting. Maybe I just react backwards to everything! For me, it just calms my system down without making me sleepy or even particularly relaxed. If anything, I would say it makes me more alert. But then I'm pairing it with coffee or using it when I have a stress response, so maybe that's why. It's used in a lot of caffeine pills to mitigate the effects of the caffeine, so that must be the common result of that combination. If you're using it for work or during the day, you may want to try it with coffee or another form of caffeine.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

This is one of the few supplements that I've actually only had success with. I've read that you can take up to 1200 mg daily. I can be extremely sensitive to caffeine and supplements and I will often get palpitations from those that are supposed to induce relaxation, but I've taken somewhere between 800-900 mg in a day and only felt benefits. I have been taking it to help increase my caffeine tolerance and I take extra if I've overdone the coffee or take a supplement that causes my heart to race. I usually take 300-400 mg with my coffee and it seems to be effective for 3-4 hours. If I drink more coffee after that, I take another dose. It also seemed to suppress my appetite for a while, but (sadly) that effect seems to have passed.

Thanks so much for your input!! This is good to know. I tolerate coffee like a champ (my digestion sometimes doesn't, but it doesn't give me an adrenaline rush the way some experience). But I am still planning to take it with my energy drinks (which contain caffeine) while working so that I don't get all wacky. And to help me with sleep. That's always a problem for me the night before an event. It's good to know it's safer in higher doses. I might try taking with pregnenolone to see the effects. Thanks so much!

OP
lindsay

lindsay

LOL - will keep the driving thing in mind :) I like the relaxation aspect - when I am really stressed, I'm all anxious and nothing seems to help aside from pregnenolone and breathing exercises, so this will just be one extra tool. Thank you for your input!

Elle

I have benefited so much from a lot of your posts via lurking, so I'm happy to be able to contribute for a change!

Makrosky

I've heard some positive and negative things about L-Theanine on here, so I finally decided to order some and give it a try. My problem is that I am incredibly calm and relaxed and stress-free most of the time; except when it comes to my work as a photographer. I have tried lots of things to counteract this stress and nothing has worked for me..... yet. I intend to seriously take up meditation in the future and have already started, as well as yoga. But the problem is, the anticipation leading up to a big work day is worse than the actual day. I can deal with the work, it's the anticipation that's the issue and it makes me lose sleep for one or two nights before (think about what could go wrong, etc.) and can cause digestive upset for a week ahead of time.

While I intend to conquer the stress all together in the future, part of me thinks it's my wiring - I've always been nervous before big events. So in learning how to deal with it, I'm trying anything I can - pregnenolone definitely helps, but I've been wanting to try L-theanine, so I got some. My L-theanine arrived today and I felt the first small dose immediately (probably 80 mg). But the effects don't seem to last very long. I don't like the idea of taking a lot at once, so was wondering how many smaller doses are safe throughout the day and up to a total amount? What doses have you all found effective?

Many thanks :)
Hey Lindsay... Your anticipation stress sounds like a perfect candidate for some kind of psychological technique. It is clear that it is not something inyrinsic to the situation like EMF, bad energy from the people, boredom, fluorescent lights, bad digestion because of the stressor, exhausting physical or mental work, etc... It's purely on your mind. You mentioned meditation but i am sure there are many others like tapping, cognitive-behaviour therapy, alexander method, whatever, there are dozens. I'm not saying you shouldn't try the supps approach! But looks like a perfect candidate for something more psychical. For instance I have some very bad stressful days but I have no anticipation anxiety whatsoever until I hit the situation itself. Just my opinion.

sladerunner69

Is it possible for l-theanine to be contaminated with mercury? It is produced from green tea and iron and mercury contamination is a confirmed problem with green tea.

Waynish

The stuff makes me tired. Any idea why? I've tried more than one brand of suntheanine. I consider this one high quality (sports research with coconut oil). Any idea why it can cause this effect? Maybe I'll try it with thyroid instead of caffeine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals