Super Foamy Urine--too Much Protein?

Discussion in 'Diet' started by Dean, May 24, 2015.

1. Dean

Dean Member

The last few days I've experimented with upping my protein intake to 1/3 of my calories, which has put me at around 150-160 g protein. This is a jump from the 120 or so, I've been consistently getting lately. This evening I had the foamiest urine I've ever put out. I mean, it's not unusual for me to have a little foam in my urine, which I believe Peat has said can be attributed to GI distress--of which I am well acquainted-- however this tonight has been major foamage. My stomach though has been feeling better the last few days than it has in quite some time; so I'm guessing the cause of this major foam is protein in my urine.

Should I abandon the extra protein or if I were to persist is there reason to believe/hope my body would adjust? I know Peat recommends that people with compromised metabolisms and such keep protein between 80-100g, but it seems I was doing better when I increased protein beyond that. Perhaps I've gone too far and need to reduce back down to the 120g?

2. Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e Member

Could simply be from unaccustomed protein intake. But it could also be from increased toxin elimination if the extra protein is helping the liver function better.

I notice more foamy urine after eating dodgy foods that are likely to contain pufa or drinking alcohol.

3. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

4. Makrosky

Makrosky Member

Hi there!

I also have foamy urine most of the time. I haven't found any specific kibd of food causing it. I suspect animal proteind. Went to the doctor and ran some urine tests : all were fine.

I also took some herbs for kidney without no noticeable effect.

It all started after doing some liver flushes half a year ago. I try to not worry much about it since the tests were fine.

Charlie, do you know where does Peat talk about that???

Cheers

5. Makrosky

Makrosky Member

Now that I recall... It also started after adopting a more peat style diet with more carbs/fruit abd more sat fat which I was avoiding for a long time before. Strange

6. OP
    Dean

Dean Member

Well, I reduced the protein down a bit and it seemed to reduce the foamage a bit, still more than usual.

I like the notion that it could be estrogens or FFA being cleared out by a re-energized liver finally getting the amount of protein it wanted/needed (thanks, Charlie and Glitchie) and I'll recommence with the amount and % of calories as protein I was aspiring to. Haidut, I believe, did post a study a while back where a diet of 35% protein can reverse fatty liver and that is kind of the inspiration behind this recent foray into more aggressive protein consumption and dialing back on the carbs a bit. We shall see.

7. Vinny

Vinny Member

Man, do you still have it?