Sunbathing Causes Shortness Of Breath, Palpitations, Weakness, High Pulse

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Same with me, in the beginning i was not able to use it for more than 15 minutes. When i happened to fall asleep under it i would wake up to diarrhea. I don't get similar effect from sunlight either due to the other wavelengths or the fact that my red light just puts out so much more red light than the sun.
Do you tolerate the red light better now? Or does it still give you symptoms?

rei

Yes i can tolerate it now, in fact i have slept with it on for about 10 nights by now in total. Every time i wake up after such i feel same as waking up after doing a gym workout the evening before. My pee is brown in a way that could hint of kidney damage. But it is only the first pee in the morning. Very clearly i would say it has some extremely potent metabolic effects.

I had never been able to take a nap, and had problems getting to sleep my whole life. Red light is so powerful a nap comes very deceptively. But admittedly i corrected most of my sleep problems already before the red light. Still, i never could or felt like napping before it.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Yes i can tolerate it now, in fact i have slept with it on for about 10 nights by now in total. Every time i wake up after such i feel same as waking up after doing an extreme gym workout. My pee is brown in a way that could hint of kidney damage. But it is only the first pee in the morning. Very clearly i would say it has some extremely potent metabolic effects.

I had never been able to take a nap, and had problems getting to sleep my whole life. Red light is so powerful a nap comes very deceptively. But admittedly i corrected most of my sleep problems already before the red light.
The brown pee sounds worrying, but otherwise, it is awesome that you were able to improve your tolerance to the red light! How did you did that? What helped you the most?

Tarmander

I don't think the thiamine will help. Everyone at one point or another thinks they have a thiamine deficiency and its record of helping is marginal at best.

What was your diet going into your sunbathing last year and what was your diet going into sunbathing this year? Were you more Peat this year then last? Did you eat more Liver and milk?

rei

The brown pee sounds worrying, but otherwise, it is awesome that you were able to improve your tolerance to the red light! How did you did that? What helped you the most?
Red light was only the latest new thing i tested on a long journey to correct chronic damage. I won't repeat it all here but you can see my post history starting ~1.6 years ago when it kinda spontaneously started as i started implementing things i read from RP and this forum. I don't know if it was general increase in health or just tolerance to the light that made the difference.

I'm not worried about the brown pee. If previously 15 minutes under it made me uncomfortable and covering my stomach with hands to limit exposure, i can only imagine the cumulative effect of hours of the same, without shading.

Texon

@not_James_Bond & @Texon That's actually great idea! Just have ordered benfotiamine and cocarboxylase (active / coenzymated form of thiamine). Hopefully I would be able to tolerate at least one of these.

I'm not aware of sublingual thiamine product, but you can split normal thiamine HCL capsule and let it dissolve under your tongue, or you can use health natura / idealabs liquid b-complex sublingually. I will be doing that until the benfotiamine / cocarboxylase arrive.
Just be aware Dr Lonsdale is not really a fan of benfotiamine.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I don't think the thiamine will help. Everyone at one point or another thinks they have a thiamine deficiency and its record of helping is marginal at best.

What was your diet going into your sunbathing last year and what was your diet going into sunbathing this year? Were you more Peat this year then last? Did you eat more Liver and milk?
Just have checked my cronometer history.

I was eating way less protein (July 2019:~80g; July 2020:~220g a day) and more total fat (July 2019:~50g; July 2020:~25g a day). My carbs intake was the same (~350g a day mostly in the form of sugars).

I was eating plenty of bananas and white sugar, I have replaced both with OJ.

I was eating ~30g of coconut oil a day, I'm not eating coconut oil anymore.

I was drinking 500 ml of whole milk, now I'm not drinking milk but I'm eating plenty of low fat cheese (~300g a day) and some casein powder.

I'm eating a bit more liver and more organ meats, and also more salt now.

I have completely eliminated wheat and replaced it with rice / masa harina.

Orange juice, cheeses, organ meats and rice makes up the most of my calories now.

Bananas, white sugar, coconut oil, milk and wheat made up the most of my calories last year.

Recoen

You're welcome! I apparently don't process it well. You may not either. Have you ever tried the oral lipothiamine/fat soluble form, such as from Cardiovascular Research? I've never heard of sublingual. If you find one please let me know. Of course there's always injectible. Re: the sugar issue...pretty scary considering a lot of advice on this forum to eat high amounts of sugar.
This is assuming the sugar can be used. If you have enough B1 and Mg then pyruvate is able to enter TCA with pyruvate dehydrogenase. Or biotin and Mn with pyruvate decarboxylase.

Texon

This is assuming the sugar can be used. If you have enough B1 and Mg then pyruvate is able to enter TCA with pyruvate dehydrogenase. Or biotin and Mn with pyruvate decarboxylase.
Yes absolutely. I'll probably never know the reason for my B1 absorption issue, but I wonder if it has been lifelong and has just gotten worse with age, stresses of life, etc.

Light

Last year I was spending hours and hours in direct sunlight and it felt amazing, this year, 10 minutes in the sun, and I'm grasping for breath, I'm so weak I can barely walk, my pulse is like 150 and my heart is pounding.

What could be a reason for this?
Bright sunlight increases ROS.
I've had good experience with supplementing B1+B2 to help with fatigue from sun exposure.

"Riboflavin, vitamin B2, is an essential component of the mitochondrial respiratory enzymes, and it is very easily destroyed by light (blue light and especially ultraviolet). When it is excited by high energy light, it can spread the damage to other components of the mitochondria, including the cytochromes and the polyunsaturated fatty acids. The other B vitamins are affected when riboflavin's actions are disturbed.

Vitamin K is also extremely light sensitive, and it interacts closely with coenzyme Q in regulating mitochondrial metabolism. For example, mitochondrial Complex-I, NADH-ubiquinone reductase, is probably the most easily damaged part of the mitochondrion, and it is protected by vitamin K. Vitamin E, coenzyme Q, and the polyunsaturated fatty acids are also light sensitive, and they are more susceptible to free radical damage when vitamin K is deficient."
Rosacea, inflammation, and aging: The inefficiency of stress

Light

Just have ordered benfotiamine and cocarboxylase (active / coenzymated form of thiamine). Hopefully I would be able to tolerate at least one of these.
Benfotiamine is NOT the same as Allithiamine (aka Fursultiamin aka TTFD (= thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide)).

Tarmander

Just have checked my cronometer history.

I was eating way less protein (July 2019:~80g; July 2020:~220g a day) and more total fat (July 2019:~50g; July 2020:~25g a day). My carbs intake was the same (~350g a day mostly in the form of sugars).

I was eating plenty of bananas and white sugar, I have replaced both with OJ.

I was eating ~30g of coconut oil a day, I'm not eating coconut oil anymore.

I was drinking 500 ml of whole milk, now I'm not drinking milk but I'm eating plenty of low fat cheese (~300g a day) and some casein powder.

I'm eating a bit more liver and more organ meats, and also more salt now.

I have completely eliminated wheat and replaced it with rice / masa harina.

Orange juice, cheeses, organ meats and rice makes up the most of my calories now.

Bananas, white sugar, coconut oil, milk and wheat made up the most of my calories last year.

My guess is that your diet has shifted you to a higher metabolism and adding the sun in is shorting out some system...maybe that is B1, maybe it's not enough calcium, too much vitamin D or vit A, who knows. Last year your metabolism was at a 7 and adding in the sun brought it to a 10. This year your metabolism is at a 10 and the Sun is putting you at a 13 and stressing your system. Just a guess based on my own experience with the Sun

I used to get terrible stress reactions from short periods in bright sunlight. I figured out I had a severe B1 deficiency, and supplementing fixed the problem. It's possible other B vitamins helped, but in my case, B1 was a hero.

Recoen

Yes absolutely. I'll probably never know the reason for my B1 absorption issue, but I wonder if it has been lifelong and has just gotten worse with age, stresses of life, etc.
Have you tried different forms? And different absorption routes? Some need high dose biotin first.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Bright sunlight increases ROS.
I've had good experience with supplementing B1+B2 to help with fatigue from sun exposure.

"Riboflavin, vitamin B2, is an essential component of the mitochondrial respiratory enzymes, and it is very easily destroyed by light (blue light and especially ultraviolet). When it is excited by high energy light, it can spread the damage to other components of the mitochondria, including the cytochromes and the polyunsaturated fatty acids. The other B vitamins are affected when riboflavin's actions are disturbed.

Vitamin K is also extremely light sensitive, and it interacts closely with coenzyme Q in regulating mitochondrial metabolism. For example, mitochondrial Complex-I, NADH-ubiquinone reductase, is probably the most easily damaged part of the mitochondrion, and it is protected by vitamin K. Vitamin E, coenzyme Q, and the polyunsaturated fatty acids are also light sensitive, and they are more susceptible to free radical damage when vitamin K is deficient."
Rosacea, inflammation, and aging: The inefficiency of stress
Very interesting, thank you!

Benfotiamine is NOT the same as Allithiamine (aka Fursultiamin aka TTFD (= thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide)).
Allithiamine is cost-prohibitive for me at this point. I really hope the cocarboxylase will just work and I would be able to fix my (potential) deficiency by that.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

My guess is that your diet has shifted you to a higher metabolism and adding the sun in is shorting out some system...maybe that is B1, maybe it's not enough calcium, too much vitamin D or vit A, who knows. Last year your metabolism was at a 7 and adding in the sun brought it to a 10. This year your metabolism is at a 10 and the Sun is putting you at a 13 and stressing your system. Just a guess based on my own experience with the Sun
This makes a lot of sense. My diet was absolutely horrible before Peating and I think I was deficient in almost everything back then.

How to know which system I'm shorting out, which system is still deficient and which I need to focus on?

I suspect retinol / vitamin A deficiency, because my intake of vitamin A was almost nonexistent for the longest time, together with phosphorus / calcium (hopefully I have corrected the phosphorus / calcium deficiency by now). But supplementing retinol and eating liver doesn't seem to help.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I used to get terrible stress reactions from short periods in bright sunlight. I figured out I had a severe B1 deficiency, and supplementing fixed the problem. It's possible other B vitamins helped, but in my case, B1 was a hero.
Thank you for sharing your experience, this really helps! Did you had any other symptoms? What form of B1 did you use?

Thank you for sharing your experience, this really helps! Did you had any other symptoms? What form of B1 did you use?

I reacted badly to mild physical stresses -- walking a short distance, standing up more than a few minutes, moving groceries, etc. At my worst, I had stress reactions to eating (even very easily digestible and hypoallergenic foods). My stress reactions consisted of sudden increases of blood pressure, shortness of breath, often racing pulse or chest pain, etc.

While fixing this problem (edit: I meant regaining my tolerance for bright sunlight), I used thiamine HCl. I prefer the TTFD/allithiamine form of B1, but the HCl salt worked for me.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I reacted badly to mild physical stresses -- walking a short distance, standing up more than a few minutes, moving groceries, etc. At my worst, I had stress reactions to eating (even very easily digestible and hypoallergenic foods). My stress reactions consisted of sudden increases of blood pressure, shortness of breath, often racing pulse or chest pain, etc.

While fixing this problem, I used thiamine HCl. I prefer the TTFD/allithiamine form of B1, but the HCl salt worked for me.
Wow, that sounds horrible. I'm glad you are feeling better now!

Many thanks, really appreciate your messages.

Tarmander

This makes a lot of sense. My diet was absolutely horrible before Peating and I think I was deficient in almost everything back then.

How to know which system I'm shorting out, which system is still deficient and which I need to focus on?

I suspect retinol / vitamin A deficiency, because my intake of vitamin A was almost nonexistent for the longest time, together with phosphorus / calcium (hopefully I have corrected the phosphorus / calcium deficiency by now). But supplementing retinol and eating liver doesn't seem to help.

Very hard to know what you are lacking. Retinol will speed up your metabolism, so will vitamin B1. I would cut out the liver and see if that helps. Basically anything recommended in this thread is just going to make things worse if my theory is correct because Peat recommendations are metabolism boosting recommendations.

All of the things you have mentioned changing are metabolism stimulants...so just using common sense if that isn't working, you stop pushing on the metabolism pedal to see if that works. You'll have to experiment.

Maybe you could try this. Stop eating liver for a couple weeks and have a can of sardines or two. Then try laying out in the sun and seeing what happens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals