Advice On Anemia

Jem Oz

Hello all. I'm still trying to piece things together, but I'd love some input if anyone has any ideas.

I was rushed to hospital 10 days ago with severe palpitations, weakness & light headedness. I spent the next 4 days in hospital having every test known to man. They thought I had a heart problem, then ruled that out. Blood tests revealed anemia. I know iron is viewed differently around these parts to 'the mainstream'. I'm currently doing a lot of research on this and related sites, because there are large gaps in my knowledge.

The scary thing was my hemoglobin count dropped dramatically in a short space of time. I don't know if other countires have the same measurement system, but in Australian standards, it went from 140 a month ago, to 115 at hospital admittance, to 95 the following day. Obvious cause for concern.

I was given a rapid iron transfusion. 2 days later this really kicked in and I've felt amazing ever since. No weakness, palpitations completely gone. I was also booked in for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy. All the docs assumed I have an internal bleed.

Today I had the gastroscopy which revealed nothing whatsover out of the ordinary. The doc came in afterwards and said you absolutely need a colonoscopy, because there is definitely a bleed somewhere. He went as far as to mention bowel cancer, which scared the hell out of me.

I did some cursory research yesterday, and found a lot of info on the possibility of certain foods suppressing iron absorption. At the top of the list was milk. I drink a HUGE amount of milk. I mean huge. With added casein powder. Other things on the list were coffee, eggs, aspirin. I know these are all considered 'nectar of the gods' around these parts. But I wonder something: should I have these foods AWAY from my high-iron foods? And I only have red meat about once a fortnight (liver on average once a month). My question then is: could this anemia be diet related? Or does the fact it came on so suddenly indicate that's unlikely?

I stupidly asked the gastroenterologist about milk, and he laughed in my face and said "no. Milk cannot block iron absorption. You have a bleed".

Anyway. I REALLY don't want to get a colonoscopy. I'm a bit scared and confused at the moment, and having spent a week in a hospital, I've fallen somewhat under the immense sway and power of the medical establishment. I don't even know whether to resume drinking milk and taking aspirin.

I've read some interesting threads @haidut posted about colonoscopies and aspirin. I believe what I read. It's expensive, I'm broke, it's invasive, there are possible complications. And even if they did find bowel cancer, I wouldn't in a million years go near chemotherapy. So part of me thinks: what's the point?

I've also been wondering if I've had stomach bleeding from the aspirin, and whether that's easy fixed by following some of the clever protocols people have written about on this forum. The trouble is, it could be something simple, and fixable at home, or it could indeed be a bleed. FWIW, I've had ZERO sign of blood in my stool.

Anyway, it's a long post I know, but I'm hoping someone will read this who's been through something similar or is knowledgeable about anemia. I'd be grateful for any input.

Whatever the case, now that I'm done with the g-scope and free and clear of the hospital, and feeling great again, I am going to seriously double down on my diet and lifestyle (I literally decided whilst lying in the hospital bed to quit my shitty job and become self-employed), start adding in more coconut oil (I BARELY use it), eat more red meat and liver, and try having my beloved milk away from high-iron meals.

Cheers

tankasnowgod

Hello all. I'm still trying to piece things together, but I'd love some input if anyone has any ideas.

I was rushed to hospital 10 days ago with severe palpitations, weakness & light headedness. I spent the next 4 days in hospital having every test known to man. They thought I had a heart problem, then ruled that out. Blood tests revealed anemia. I know iron is viewed differently around these parts to 'the mainstream'. I'm currently doing a lot of research on this and related sites, because there are large gaps in my knowledge.

The scary thing was my hemoglobin count dropped dramatically in a short space of time. I don't know if other countires have the same measurement system, but in Australian standards, it went from 140 a month ago, to 115 at hospital admittance, to 95 the following day. Obvious cause for concern.

I was given a rapid iron transfusion. 2 days later this really kicked in and I've felt amazing ever since. No weakness, palpitations completely gone. I was also booked in for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy. All the docs assumed I have an internal bleed.

Today I had the gastroscopy which revealed nothing whatsover out of the ordinary. The doc came in afterwards and said you absolutely need a colonoscopy, because there is definitely a bleed somewhere. He went as far as to mention bowel cancer, which scared the hell out of me.

I did some cursory research yesterday, and found a lot of info on the possibility of certain foods suppressing iron absorption. At the top of the list was milk. I drink a HUGE amount of milk. I mean huge. With added casein powder. Other things on the list were coffee, eggs, aspirin. I know these are all considered 'nectar of the gods' around these parts. But I wonder something: should I have these foods AWAY from my high-iron foods? And I only have red meat about once a fortnight (liver on average once a month). My question then is: could this anemia be diet related? Or does the fact it came on so suddenly indicate that's unlikely?

I stupidly asked the gastroenterologist about milk, and he laughed in my face and said "no. Milk cannot block iron absorption. You have a bleed".

Anyway. I REALLY don't want to get a colonoscopy. I'm a bit scared and confused at the moment, and having spent a week in a hospital, I've fallen somewhat under the immense sway and power of the medical establishment. I don't even know whether to resume drinking milk and taking aspirin.

I've read some interesting threads @haidut posted about colonoscopies and aspirin. I believe what I read. It's expensive, I'm broke, it's invasive, there are possible complications. And even if they did find bowel cancer, I wouldn't in a million years go near chemotherapy. So part of me thinks: what's the point?

I've also been wondering if I've had stomach bleeding from the aspirin, and whether that's easy fixed by following some of the clever protocols people have written about on this forum. The trouble is, it could be something simple, and fixable at home, or it could indeed be a bleed. FWIW, I've had ZERO sign of blood in my stool.

Anyway, it's a long post I know, but I'm hoping someone will read this who's been through something similar or is knowledgeable about anemia. I'd be grateful for any input.

Whatever the case, now that I'm done with the g-scope and free and clear of the hospital, and feeling great again, I am going to seriously double down on my diet and lifestyle (I literally decided whilst lying in the hospital bed to quit my shitty job and become self-employed), start adding in more coconut oil (I BARELY use it), eat more red meat and liver, and try having my beloved milk away from high-iron meals.

Cheers

First off, your gastro is wrong.... milk absolutely can block iron absorption. Both heme and non-heme in fact. Calcium blocks both, and there are other iron binding compounds in the milk.

Lots of coffee/milk/casein/eggs/aspirin with very little red meat? Oh yeah, that could potentially cause low iron levels, so diet could be a huge factor, even if it's not the only factor. Austrialia doesn't engage in mandatory iron fortification, but they do have some iron fortified grains, but my guess is that you are mostly avoiding those as well.

I don't think you would have to stop drinking milk, but I would seriously up the red meat if I were in your position. Aspirin is well documented to have iron lowering effects, and that should likely be reduced or stopped till you can figure out what's going on. And you would probably want to drink milk away from meat meals.

Many of the B vitamins are needed for making hemoglobin, especially B6, B12, and Folate. I know that when I was lowering iron, B complexes helped keep hemoglobin up. I'm certainly not suggesting you lower iron at this point, just that extra B vitamins may also be needed to up hemoglobin.

Speaking on that..... a full iron panel with Ferritin and TSAT would give you more insight into your iron levels. Based on the positive reaction to the iron transfusion and diet, one would suspect they were low, but best to be sure. If supplements are warranted, the best would be dessicated liver first, and also lactoferrin with iron. Both are gentle on the GI tract, and come with some protections against free iron.

Extra Vitamin C and E can also help protect against free iron, so those are two other substances to look at.

Iron Disorders dot org is also a resource you may find helpful- Home

tankasnowgod

You might also be interested in this interview with iron researcher E.D. Weinberg. He talks about Aspirin's iron chelation ability, and how iron enters the body through the calcium channel, so both calcium AND calcium channel blockers can inhibit iron absorption (it's written from a standpoint of excess iron, which likely doesn't apply, but the mechanisms could help you out)-

Eugene D. Weinberg on Iron Toxicity - Rogue Health and Fitness

Last edited:
OP
J

Jem Oz

@tankasnowgod thank you for that great info. The only other thing they told me was that my Ferritin level was 7. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I know you can't tell me what to do, and believe me I'm not one to outsource my own life, but if you were in my position, would you get the colonoscopy under the assumption of a cancer or internal bleed?

tankasnowgod

@tankasnowgod thank you for that great info. The only other thing they told me was that my Ferritin level was 7. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I know you can't tell me what to do, and believe me I'm not one to outsource my own life, but if you were in my position, would you get the colonoscopy under the assumption of a cancer or internal bleed?

7 is a pretty low ferritin level. 25 is usually thought to be the minimum level. That, with your former diet and reaction to iron infusion, I think it's pretty safe to say that low iron was the main cause of your anemia.

Personally, I don't think I would get a colonoscopy. Certainly not for cancer, not sure about internal bleed, but I know there is potential risk in that procedure causing a tear. I remember reading "Roar of Wolverine" back in my paleo days, and his story and warnings really stuck with me. http://roarofwolverine.com/archives/2772

I haven't dug in in detail, but he might be aware of some other diagnostics that could be just as effective and safer, if it's a concern. If there was a way to do an ultrasound on the colon, that would be a really safe test.

OP
J

Jem Oz

thanks @tankasnowgod that's helpful. If it turns out I do have cancer in that region, I'd want to get onto high dose aspirin pretty quick, from all I've read. Feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals