Study - Boiled starch lose persorbability

meeka

One thing I have noticed for myself is when I eat potatoes that are boiled or steamed in the instant pot, I digest them just time. No bloating no constipation. But when I bake a potato or fry one (in coconut oil or beef tallow of course) I get a lot of bloating. Even if they are cooked very well.

The blog post and study that I have linked below seem to indicate that using wet cooking methods seems to reduce their capacity to be presorbed. This might help some folks here digest starch better. For example instead of making tortillas using masa harina, you could made a cornmeal porridge such as ugali, which is commonly eaten in Africa.

It is interesting to note that starch based societies generally use wet cooking methods. Boiling porridge or potatoes. Though bread seems to be an exception here, but bread before it is baked uses a lot of water and is fermented into a sourdough, so there might be more going on.

Blog post with the study: Study - Boiled starch lose persorbability
Original study (unfortunately behind a paywall): Persorption of raw starch: A cause of senile dementia?

One thing I have noticed for myself is when I eat potatoes that are boiled or steamed in the instant pot, I digest them just time. No bloating no constipation. But when I bake a potato or fry one (in coconut oil or beef tallow of course) I get a lot of bloating. Even if they are cooked very well.

The blog post and study that I have linked below seem to indicate that using wet cooking methods seems to reduce their capacity to be presorbed. This might help some folks here digest starch better. For example instead of making tortillas using masa harina, you could made a cornmeal porridge such as ugali, which is commonly eaten in Africa.

It is interesting to note that starch based societies generally use wet cooking methods. Boiling porridge or potatoes. Though bread seems to be an exception here, but bread before it is baked uses a lot of water and is fermented into a sourdough, so there might be more going on.

Blog post with the study: Study - Boiled starch lose persorbability
Original study (unfortunately behind a paywall): Persorption of raw starch: A cause of senile dementia?
When I make homemade French fries, I boil the cut fries for about 15 minutes, and then drain them and let them cool off, before frying. These not only tastes unbelievable with a crispy outside and tender inside, but they feel good. I do the same with my hash browns. The hash browns turn out so light and fluffy rather than heavy and greasy. They take a lot less oil too cooking them first.

Attachments

• B83C4013-F761-4830-9EE3-8773B93004B6.jpeg
    B83C4013-F761-4830-9EE3-8773B93004B6.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 585D5B57-7A1D-467B-B99B-A52E1681A872.jpeg
    585D5B57-7A1D-467B-B99B-A52E1681A872.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 23
I eat a lot of masa harina and cooked a long time in water it's absolutely fine. I think the cooked blows up the starch granules and they are now huge and unable to persorb.

OP
M

meeka

The hash browns turn out so light and fluffy rather than heavy and greasy. They take a lot less oil too cooking them first
Greasy food also gives me a lot of bloating, so it might be a combination of dry cooking and grease. I will give this a try, thank you!

OP
M

meeka

Thank you hamster!

I eat a lot of masa harina and cooked a long time in water it's absolutely fine. I think the cooked blows up the starch granules and they are now huge and unable to persorb.
This makes a lot of sense in terms of mechanism. Maybe dry cooking actually causes the starch granules to shrink due to water loss

Juliampersand

When I make homemade French fries, I boil the cut fries for about 15 minutes, and then drain them and let them cool off, before frying. These not only tastes unbelievable with a crispy outside and tender inside, but they feel good. I do the same with my hash browns. The hash browns turn out so light and fluffy rather than heavy and greasy. They take a lot less oil too cooking them first.
Doesn’t cooking and cooling increase its resistant starch?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals