Still A Teenager, And Losing My Hair Already!

OP
F

franc0

Calories dude. I eat more than you and I'm 40 years old. Eating healthy foods means eating more volume.

I train a kid that's 19, and his hairline is receding. He is obsessed with getting a "six pack" and never wants to eat. Bump your calories up 100-150 or so a week, until you get closer to 3000. You can halt the loss, and likely make progress since you are addressing it early.
yeah looking back, I do feel quite dumb with how little I've been eating, considering my age and how much I should be getting for adequate growth, etc. I've always eaten pretty healthily just never enough,
thanks

TibRex

I've started taking Calcium + Vitamin D3 tablets (where I live we don't get much sun), 100IU vitamin E, as well as the occasional Zinc supplement.

After about a year of a paleo style diet, I've adopted a more 'Peat friendly' way of eating,
Plenty of eggs, milk, mushroom, spinach, salt, coffee, honey, cheese, fresh fruits, daily smoothie containing either a carrot or orange (including the peel), adequate protein of about 80grams a day, avoidance of starch and PUFA as best I can, I average at about 9 grams of PUFA a day, is this still too high?

I suggest you add seaweed to your current diet. I prefer it in the form of agar-agar jelly which I love to eat every day. I make trays of it in the fridge. The cold, crunchy chunks are a refreshing dessert. Most people have their own favorite recipes... In Asia, seaweed is well known as a hair growth aid and is often found in shampoos. I started to include agar-agar in my diet about a month ago and have noticed increased hair growth. The great thing about agar-agar is that it has zero calories besides having a bunch of other health benefits. Google up the subject - seaweed for hair growth - and you'll get lots of webpages to read. To quote one blogger: "Agar has no calories, no carbs, no sugar, not fat and is loaded with fiber. It’s free from starch, soy, corn, gluten, yeast, wheat, milk, egg and preservatives." Here are a few articles I came across:
[COLOR=#0059b3]
http://www.hairboutique.com/blogs_p/index.php/2014/06/19/seaweed-hair-growth/
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-agar-agar/
http://gethealthygethot.com/2573/agaragar-and-its-amazing-health-and-weight-loss-benefits/
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/benefits-nutrition-agar-health-how-use-hang-dang[/COLOR]

If you're interested in applying topical stuff, head for an Indian store as most will have some traditional formulas containing some well-known botanicals for promoting hair growth like

[COLOR=#b30059]Amala /Amla[/COLOR] [Indian gooseberry, Phyllanthus emblica] a principal ingredient in hair products, [COLOR=#00b3b3]Bhringaraj[/COLOR] [Eclipta alba]
[COLOR=#5900b3]hibiscus and cactus extracts, coconut oil, sesami oil[/COLOR], etc.

[COLOR=#0059b3]https://herbpathy.com/Uses-and-Benefits-of-Bhringraj-Oil-Cid10704[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b30059]Some of the above ingredients are included in the following Himalaya products: [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0059b3][COLOR=#000000][1][/COLOR] http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DQVWB6A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=733112647&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0063OQJJI&pf_rd_m=A1VBAL9TL5WCBF&pf_rd_r=T8QVAPHXGH64EQ59FBW2[/COLOR]

[2] [COLOR=#0059b3]http://www.himalayawellness.com/products/personalcare/anti-hair-fall-hair-oil.htm[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b30059]Youtube videos on Amala/Phyllanthus emblica[/COLOR]:
[COLOR=#0059b3]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFItHHs84is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncg4Xk5hmLg
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amla+for+hair+growth[/COLOR][/FONT]

ddjd

get all your hormone levels checked. i started losing hair when i was 16 too. in my opinion its all related to an imbalance in your hormones. check your estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, dhea, pregnenolone etc etc.

rmgwm

I would recommend getting off finasteride immediately, probably by slowly titrating the dose down. Thinking "it won't happen to me" would be a critical mistake. I havFinasteride is not a viable hair loss solution.

I believe hair-loss is actually due to fungal growth in the scalp area. The yeast will use your androgens (like 5ar) to grow, this is why inhibiting 5ar works because it helps to starve the fungus (and also why people with hair loss have an imbalance in androgens). A better approach would be to cut down on sugars and use Nizoral which is an anti-fungal shampoo known to combat hairloss. It is also non-systemic so comes with far greater risk.

Ron J

I would recommend getting off finasteride immediately, probably by slowly titrating the dose down. Thinking "it won't happen to me" would be a critical mistake. I havFinasteride is not a viable hair loss solution.

I believe hair-loss is actually due to fungal growth in the scalp area. The yeast will use your androgens (like 5ar) to grow, this is why inhibiting 5ar works because it helps to starve the fungus (and also why people with hair loss have an imbalance in androgens). A better approach would be to cut down on sugars and use Nizoral which is an anti-fungal shampoo known to combat hairloss. It is also non-systemic so comes with far greater risk.
Someone theorized something similar(I read it here). The fungus/bacteria in the scalp creates PUFA, and the DHT is to lower the inflammation.

JoeKool

@franc0 get off the finasteride...

immediately

How a doctor can prescribe that to you at your age is beyond me... you want me to tell you what DHT is required for during your teens? And what starving your body of it will do?

tara

I suggest you add seaweed to your current diet. I prefer it in the form of agar-agar jelly which I love to eat every day.
I thought agar was derived from seaweed too, and was wondering if it had any similarities to carrageenan. According to wikipedia, both are derived from algae. And there I was thinking seaweed was a plant - learn something every day. :)

So, both agar and carrageenan are gums derived from red edible (from a given value of edible) seaweeds (algae) used widely in the food industry for their gelling/thickening/stabilising qualities.
Carrageenan comes in different forms, with different qualities used for different purposes, derived from different varieties of the seaweed.

I came across one source that suggested the (controversial) carcinogenicity of carrageenen may stem from the strong acids used in commercial extraction processes, but I didn't pursue and don't know whether or not it's well founded.

I've had the impression Peat may be wary of vegetable gums in general - not sure though. Has anyone seen/heard opinion/information from Peat about agar specifically?

[edit to add:] I think they are both based on indigestible polysacharides and don't provide any usable nutrition (carbs, protein etc), other than bulking/'fibre'.

tara

I've had the impression Peat may be wary of vegetable gums in general - not sure though. Has anyone seen/heard opinion/information from Peat about agar specifically?
I know carrageenan and guar gum have been associated with some potential trouble. I imagine that some of the others with less widespread commercial use may have been less studied, and therefore less would be known about their pros and cons?

johnwester130

I think the hormones and nutrition cause hair shedding

Baldness is a change in the structure and muscle

There's some small crossover between them

nextjohns

I agree.

I noticed a long time ago that masturbation and a high sugar diet exacerbated my hair loss. Essentially a high alkaline diet + nizoral should see great improvement.

Still doesn't explain the pattern of mpb though, or why we lose hair on top and not back & sides.

Scenes

I agree.

I noticed a long time ago that masturbation and a high sugar diet exacerbated my hair loss. Essentially a high alkaline diet + nizoral should see great improvement.

Still doesn't explain the pattern of mpb though, or why we lose hair on top and not back & sides.
So peaters are stuffed! No sugar no peat.

xetawaves

I agree.

I experienced the opposite in regards to sugar. Raising my sugar intake gave me more energy, made me feel warmer, and my shedding slowed down a lot.

rmgwm

I experienced the opposite in regards to sugar. Raising my sugar intake gave me more energy, made me feel warmer, and my shedding slowed down a lot.

Then you might have hypothyroidism, possibly high reverse T3 levels. Eating the sugar ramped up your energy and T3 production. I would be surprised if keeping this up continued to bring benefits. Typically it you would see a spike in feeling warmer and more energy until the body compensates with more reverse T3 and brings you back to hypo baseline.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals