Some Pretty Damning Views Of Starch In Peat Interview

pboy

I understand the importance of calcum, but what exactly is the problem with phosphorus? (Does it displace something else? Or is it inherently toxic in of itself in excess?) . From what I can tell, it helps fix minerals in bones, sugar in cells, and is the main component of ATP (energy) so it seems pretty important. Its the 2nd most abundant mineral in the body behind calcium. Im wondering if its beneficial but just that it needs to be balanced by calcium, or if it should be limited alltogether

Mittir

It is the ratio of calcium phosphorus that causes the problem. Excess serum phosphate activates Parathyroid hormone which causes a whole set of problems including calcium release from bones. In intestine, Phosphate stimulates the breakdown of fiber by bacteria through phosphorolysis. Calcium blocks this breakdown.

OP
N

narouz

Mittir said:
It is the ratio of calcium phosphorus that causes the problem. Excess serum phosphate activates Parathyroid hormone which causes a whole set of problems including calcium release from bones. In intestine, Phosphate stimulates the breakdown of fiber by bacteria through phosphorolysis. Calcium blocks this breakdown.

Mittir, because I rely upon you for all obtuse and arcane scientific matters :D ,
when you say...

In intestine, Phosphate stimulates the breakdown of fiber by bacteria through phosphorolysis. Calcium blocks this breakdown.

...that makes it sound like phosphate is doing a good thing, and calcium a bad thing.
Don't we want fiber to be broken down?

Mittir

narouz said:
Mittir said:
when you say...

In intestine, Phosphate stimulates the breakdown of fiber by bacteria through phosphorolysis. Calcium blocks this breakdown.

...that makes it sound like phosphate is doing a good thing, and calcium a bad thing.

We do not want the fiber to break down,because that will feed bacteria. Good fiber acts like
a broom, it cleans up the mess without feeding bacteria.

OP
N

narouz

Mittir said:
narouz said:
Mittir said:
when you say...

We do not want the fiber to break down,because that will feed bacteria. Good fiber acts like
a broom, it cleans up the mess without feeding bacteria.

Okay.
Gotcha.
Thanks!

Beebop

This is a very interesting discussion, thanks everyone.

What is the best temperature to store potatoes, and what is the mechanism by which this changes the starch/glucose?

Just observing the way my body feels after eating potatoes - I don't feel good/satiated until I've also had some sugar.

OP
N

narouz

Beebop said:

What is the best temperature to store potatoes, and what is the mechanism by which this changes the starch/glucose?

Just observing the way my body feels after eating potatoes - I don't feel good/satiated until I've also had some sugar.

We had a poster long ago who posted a lot of interesting stuff about potatoes.
One of the "facts" was
that, if potatoes are stored in the refrigerator
a significant proportion of the starch will convert to sugars--glucose, I guess.

I've been doing it.
Hard to test whether it is actually true. :)

J

j.

I think there is also a difference in starch content between a young and old potato, or at least I heard that rumor.

Jenn

An old potato has more starch, that's why they make better bakers. Potatoes also vary in the type of starch depending on what kind you get, the "waxy" potatoes, like red potatoes have a pectin based starch, the russet types don't.

The warmer you keep the potato, the faster it will convert from sugar to starch....and then start sprouting because it's ready to reproduce. ;)

juanitacarlos

Beebop said:

I think this post should answer your question:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=478&hilit=potatoes

OP
N

narouz

ttramone said:
Beebop said:

I think this post should answer your question:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=478&hilit=potatoes

Yes--that is the poster from long ago I referred to above.
He got mad about something and left in a huff, taking down--I thought--all of his posts.
Here's the part I referred to:

"7) The other temperature response that is important to understand is cold induced conversion of starch back to reducing sugars. This can occur in the field or in storage. At temperatures from 50°to 55°F the balance between starch and sugars remains relatively static. As temperatures drop below this range, starch conversion to sugar becomes evident in most varieties. The lower the temperature, the faster the conversion and the higher the final concentration of sugars."

So...since reading that, when I buy potatoes I stick them in the frig. I don't know if the information is true,
but I figure: maybe it is, can't hurt; will probably make the potatoes keep longer, in any case.

beachbum

Also, keeping these number in context...gelatin is mostly protein, but also contain calcium. If you are eating gelatin with your meat, that will change the ratios as well.
I know this is an old thread but today I just read that calcium in broth is very low as is the c to ph ratio ph higher. Calcium was a little higher if you added veggies. It surprised me. In that article they said the point of broth building strong bones is from the balance of other minerals and especially the collegen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals