Should you force feed if you've lost your appetite due to the flu/cold?

Josh

I’ve come down with some sort of flu or something where I feel really lethargic, weak etc...
I’ve got no appetite and everything tastes bitter .. Should I be forcing as much food down as possible regardless? I really cant afford to lose much weight

ThinPicking

Interesting you've got posts about excessive salt appetite and potential kidney injury prior to this. Now you have flu (thank you for calling it that), no appetite and dysgeusia 🤔

Tell us about your fluid consumption and your intestinal transit/stool volume in the lead up to you getting sick. It's important.

If you're backed up and don't drink much you should probably be sipping, and I do mean sipping, fluids until your stomach rumbles and your appetite returns. Something resembling your normal sense of taste should come back with it.

If you're regular but low volume and drink a lot then, ease off the fluids and eat even though you're not hungry.

Others may disagree. Hear them out as well.

OP
J

Josh

@ThinPicking

I couldn't really call it a flu, it only last 1-2 days and I'm feeling better now, appetite back, just a blocked nose now.

Yeah, my blood results for creatinine haven't been great for years now, it's something I haven't been able to figure out (It wasn't great even in 2016, before I found ray peat, when I was consuming probably 3-5 litres of water a day)

Now I just drink when thirsty, leading up to this illness, I hadn't drunk a ton. About 4 days before, I did drink a bit of alcohol (something I rarely rarely do, but never had issues from drinking before)

Stool/intestinal transit: I can't really remember, in general, it flucuates, sometimes great, sometimes not good, I could be feeling GREAT and then have terrible bowel movements.

thanks for the reply!

ThinPicking

Ah I see, "some sort of flu" but don't call it the flu. Glad you're feeling better.

Also glad you're not drinking that kind of volume anymore. That's a crazy amount.

Stool/intestinal transit: I can't really remember, in general, it flucuates, sometimes great, sometimes not good, I could be feeling GREAT and then have terrible bowel movements.

Dam the bowl a bit so it's easier to see, keep a photo diary and a scribble your behaviour/feeling around it for a bit. So you get a more coherent idea.

You could also take your bodyweight and impedance (if scales allow) 2 or 3 times a day and add to the record. It starts to give you a picture of fluid balance etc.

ThinPicking

I fast when I’m sick and it seems to hasten recovery.
Fluid as well Mr Hamster? If not completely, is it less?

Just curious. Nursing a crackpot theory effect of atmospheric temperature and pressure or behavioural effects on the circulatory have a lot to do with onset.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Barometric pressure definitely impacts breathing.

Fluid as well Mr Hamster? If not completely, is it less?

Just curious. Nursing a crackpot theory effect of atmospheric temperature and pressure or behavioural effects on the circulatory have a lot to do with onset.

I use juice, some salty olives, coconut water, coffee with collagen and sugar…

It works I think because it keeps down endotoxin load.

Peachy

Just make sure to keep up your salt and sugar. Sometimes the body needs a break from protein and starch. When you start to feel better, your appetite will swing right back up, especially if you've kept up your blood sugar and electrolytes. Some things I like - pickles, olive, salted cucumber, coke, juices, fruit, coconut water, chicken soup.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals