Fat, Bloated, Nauseous, Weak, Fatigued, No Appetite

cowgirl88

I've only been Peating for about 2 months now. Felt great, had the energy of a child, skin cleared up, lost a bit of weight etc etc. Then in the last 2 weeks (pretty much the first half of my cycle) I was sleeping a lot, wouldn't wake up til about 10am...with a headache, no appetite (literally had to force feed myself), felt so nauseous. I could not even look at sugar. Was craving nothing. I got more bloated and put on belly fat. Just felt like death barely warmed up. Yesterday I was as weak as they come. I haven't had OJ at all today, and only about 6oz of milk with coffee and honey. Today, I feel better, no nausea and a little stronger. There was a few things I added to my diet just before all these symptoms started a few weeks ago; brownies (cocoa, egg, sugar, gelatine, butter) & raw sugar.

This is "basically" my diet (give or take);
1L of OJ (nudie brand)
1L of full cream milk (usually with coffee & couple tbs sugar
2tb butter
1tb coconut oil
1 banana
2c watermelon
2 eggs
couple dates every other day
4tb gelatin
shellfish maybe once a week
1-2c boiled potato
cheese every other day

I've been trying to read throughout the forum to work out what could be happening to cause the nausea, bloating, loss of appetite, headaches, belly fat, no motivation etc but it's all very confusing as everyones experiences are mildly different so its hard to pin point my own issues (plus a lot of stuff people talk about I still don't understand!) :shock:

The nudie OJ tastes kinda bitter, I wonder if they possibly squeeze the entire orange (with the skin) and thats causing some irritation? Do you get bloated if something like this is irritating your gut? What is bloat? I've been constantly bloated for over 10yrs with not a single day of relief :(
Could it be that I can't tolerate cocoa? I'm probably low on minerals etc as is, could the phytates in cocoa be robbing me even more, or the raw sugar, to my understanding uses the bodys nutrient stores to process sugar?
Could it be I can't tolerate that much milk? When I was about 3yo, Dad said I was always crook (all snotty & dark circles under eyes) when I ate cheese and milk, so the naturopath diagnosed me as lactose intolerant (?) so I grew up on soy milk until I got sick of it at about 12yo :roll: so I'm not sure if I tolerate milk or not? I don't get diarrhoea on it. I cannot pin point what makes my symptoms flare up (other than muscle meats, even when eaten with gelatine & CO)
I've been following the one about "fat around my middle" and trying to make sense of " uncoupling" (?) Could this be the reason I am gaining fat around my middle? I've also read that if you have the fat around the back of lower abdomen, this means cortisol is high?

The only thing I have kept up with is Progest-E in the 2nd half of my cycle (5drops 3x daily) which helps a lot. I've been very lazy about aspirin (which makes me feel good when I actually take it) & egg shell calcium.

There are probably more things going on but I can't think of them right now. Sorry this post is all over the place...just shows what my head is like at the moment! :roll:

Gl;itch.e

Are you getting plenty of salt? That could help with bloating/edema, boost metabolic rate and help with digestion and appetite.

OP
C

cowgirl88

Thanks for your reply. Maybe not enough...try to get 2tbsp per day but this doesn't always happen. I'm using Woolworths Sea Salt, is this any good or should I try get some pickling salt?

Gl;itch.e

cowgirl88 said:
Thanks for your reply. Maybe not enough...try to get 2tbsp per day but this doesn't always happen. I'm using Woolworths Sea Salt, is this any good or should I try get some pickling salt?
It's probably fine but I know Ray recommends the Mortons one as its more pure and less likely to be contaminated.

I don't know, if you are getting close to that amount regularly you are probably fine on the salt side of things.

Do you do the carrot salad?

tara

It's no fun when your digestion is having trouble doing it's job.
You've got to eat - you can't keep eliminating food till there's nothing left. It's important to eat food you can get nourishment out of, even if it is not perfect (no food is perfect).
That said:
- Apparently it's quite common to find watermelon irritating.
- Banana can be irritating for some. It contains a bit of serotonin, as well as some fibre/oligosaccharides that mess with some peoples intestinal microbiota. Some people find cooking them makes them more digestible.
- It might be worth experimenting with different brands of juice (or making your own) in case you can find some that work better. Mittir benefits from a clear commercial apple juice, but not orange juice. Of the commercial OJ I can find where I am, there is only one I can handle, and I strain out a lot of fibre and then add baking soda to reduce the acid. Fresh ripe OJ is great, but can't usually get suitable fruit (or time to make much). If the brand of OJ tastes bitter, I would guess it is from unripe fruit and/or including some of the skins etc. I've been drinking apple and pear juice lately, too.
- I have trouble with cheddar etc, happier with my homemade fresh farmers/cottage cheese.
- If you go a few days without the brownies, do the symptoms improve?

How do you do with honey?
Stewed fruit is often easier to digest than raw, and you can add sucrose to it.
You can experiment with different forms of milk.
Some people do best avoiding starch, but others seem to do OK with well cooked potatoes and/or white rice.
You can add a bit of pure sucrose/simple syrup for some of your carbohydrates, while you work out which other foods work better. It is good to make sure you get in minerals and vitamins too, to help use this sugar well.
Liver is a good way to get a bunch of vitamins and minerals. Coffee has some. Stock from boiled greens can be helpful.

I use a white sea salt, not having ready access to Mortons' pure pickling and canning salt. I assume if it is white it doesn't have as much iron and other impurities in it as grey or pink salts, and it doesn't contain free-flowing agents etc. (Actually, that's what I use when I cook etc - I'm still using regular table salt for adding to food on the plate when needed.)

OP
C

cowgirl88

I've been lazy about the carrot salad too :( Doing a lot of travelling between where I live at my parents place & my bfs place has been difficult, it's hard to organize food etc. We are moving in to our own place next week so hopefully we can get things in order then!

Oh dear, I eat watermelon every day... I'm wondering if starchy foods may be causing some issues? I've tried eating rice, and it flares up symptoms, especially fatigue, itchy skin, bloating. And I eat bananas pretty much every day, yesterday I had 2. Had potatoes for dinner last night. My skin is itchy, have a slight headache, dry mouth. Then again, I did have some cheddar and tomatoes yesterday too (prob a bad idea). What could the itchiness be caused by?? Is it a histamine reaction?
All other OJ here has preservatives etc added, surely this can't be good?
Haven't eaten any brownies for the last two weeks
What fruits do you stew? What greens to boil and for how long?
I think honey is ok but I just don't know how to pinpoint what's problematic and what's not!

Maybe I should eat a bunch of bananas and see what happens :D

BingDing

Maybe cut out the brownies, raw sugar, and anything else that might have changed a few weeks ago. If you can get back to how you felt then it would good, then you can test things individually. As tara said, getting eating and digestion going is most important, food that is easy to digest is a common point on the forum.

You have the basic Peat eating plan down pretty good, except for bananas. Egg is not on the basic list, maybe those are problematic. More protein might be good. There is a cucumber, apple, potato broth recipe on the forum that seems very easy to digest.

I've switched from gelatin to pure glycine and I think some others have, too; glycine is the main beneficial amino acid in gelatin and using just glycine eliminates any potential problems with gelatin. Sort of a modified elimination trial.

sunmountain

Hi bingDing

I want to get off GL green can for 2 weeks to see if it reduces my stomach swelling. But it is my main source of protein and I eat a lot of it everyday.

Can glycine give me the same amount of protein as GL green can?

Does glycine have endotoxin?

Thanks

BingDing

Sunmountain

The stuff in the GL green can, according to the label, is 90-92% protein and glycine is 100% protein, so a tablespoon of glycine will give you more protein than a tablespoon of GL green can.

It is just that 8-10% of stuff in the GL green can that is not protein that I wonder about. According to the label it's not fat and it's not carb. So what the h*** is it?

FWIW, I quit thinking about the GL green can, collagen hydrolysate, as food a while back. It doesn't look like a cowhide. And I can't remember Peat ever specifically saying it is good. So if it's a supplement, glycine isn't much different, IMO.

Endotoxins are toxins produced in your own body, typically the gut. So no. In the broader sense, I don't think glycine can introduce any toxins into your body when you use it.

Glycine is one of the 20 amino acids that make up proteins and is an inhibitory amino acid, which is why it is desirable; it tends to slow down the firing of nerve cells. And just because I learned this, it is most active (as a neurotransmitter or adjunct) in the spinal cord.

BD

Edit for clarification

Peata

cowgirl88 said:
I've only been Peating for about 2 months now. Felt great, had the energy of a child, skin cleared up, lost a bit of weight etc etc. Then in the last 2 weeks (pretty much the first half of my cycle) I was sleeping a lot, wouldn't wake up til about 10am...with a headache, no appetite (literally had to force feed myself), felt so nauseous. I could not even look at sugar. Was craving nothing. I got more bloated and put on belly fat. Just felt like death barely warmed up. Yesterday I was as weak as they come. I haven't had OJ at all today, and only about 6oz of milk with coffee and honey. Today, I feel better, no nausea and a little stronger. There was a few things I added to my diet just before all these symptoms started a few weeks ago; brownies (cocoa, egg, sugar, gelatine, butter) & raw sugar.

This is "basically" my diet (give or take);
1L of OJ (nudie brand)
1L of full cream milk (usually with coffee & couple tbs sugar
2tb butter
1tb coconut oil
1 banana
2c watermelon
2 eggs
couple dates every other day
4tb gelatin
shellfish maybe once a week
1-2c boiled potato
cheese every other day

I've been trying to read throughout the forum to work out what could be happening to cause the nausea, bloating, loss of appetite, headaches, belly fat, no motivation etc but it's all very confusing as everyones experiences are mildly different so its hard to pin point my own issues (plus a lot of stuff people talk about I still don't understand!) :shock:

The nudie OJ tastes kinda bitter, I wonder if they possibly squeeze the entire orange (with the skin) and thats causing some irritation? Do you get bloated if something like this is irritating your gut? What is bloat? I've been constantly bloated for over 10yrs with not a single day of relief :(
Could it be that I can't tolerate cocoa? I'm probably low on minerals etc as is, could the phytates in cocoa be robbing me even more, or the raw sugar, to my understanding uses the bodys nutrient stores to process sugar?
Could it be I can't tolerate that much milk? When I was about 3yo, Dad said I was always crook (all snotty & dark circles under eyes) when I ate cheese and milk, so the naturopath diagnosed me as lactose intolerant (?) so I grew up on soy milk until I got sick of it at about 12yo :roll: so I'm not sure if I tolerate milk or not? I don't get diarrhoea on it. I cannot pin point what makes my symptoms flare up (other than muscle meats, even when eaten with gelatine & CO)
I've been following the one about "fat around my middle" and trying to make sense of " uncoupling" (?) Could this be the reason I am gaining fat around my middle? I've also read that if you have the fat around the back of lower abdomen, this means cortisol is high?

The only thing I have kept up with is Progest-E in the 2nd half of my cycle (5drops 3x daily) which helps a lot. I've been very lazy about aspirin (which makes me feel good when I actually take it) & egg shell calcium.

There are probably more things going on but I can't think of them right now. Sorry this post is all over the place...just shows what my head is like at the moment! :roll:

FWIW, I don't do so well with some of those foods, and have them less often than I used to. From your list, they are: OJ, watermelon, gelatin, potato, banana. I can tolerate bananas if they are very ripe. Gelatin seems to make me bloat and feel bad - actually sick, especially if I have gummi's. Potato can cause gas. Watermelon is gas, bloat, feel bad. OJ hurts my stomach and just doesn't make me feel good. I also don't drink milk, but I do get plenty of other dairy. But we are all different, so your culprits could be other things. If you noticed this change after the brownies then try cutting them out and see how you do.

sunmountain

Thanks bingDing!

I will order glycine to try for 2 weeks instead of GL to see if it makes any difference in stomach size.

Do you know if there is anything good in GL that is not in glycine?

sunmountain

Also can I eat the same amount of glycine as GL daily? I eat a LOT of GL daily.

Thanks

BingDing

There are other amino acids in GL, they are listed on the can. I think RP has said proline is good. I drink a lot of milk, too, some meat and eggs, so don't worry about getting essential amino acids for muscle building and the like.

RP said it is safe to use a lot of gelatin, up to 60g a day IIRC. I don't see any reason not to eat a lot of glycine, but I have never read that specifically. I wouldn't think a two week trial would be a problem, maybe see how it goes from there.

FWIW, I use 2 tsp (8g) in milk and coffee. I've been on the road lately and haven't done it enough to have an average total per day that I like. Everything is an experiment, it seems.

I hope it works for you, sunmountain.

sunmountain

BingDing,

I'm having trouble finding stuff on the new website cuz it's all looking off on my iPad. I had to do a search for this thread to find it...

I just got my glycine and started it. Do you take 2 tsp in milk and coffee each time you have a cup of coffee? How many tsp per day do you think you're having?

For comparison, I've been taking 2 tablespoons of green can in milk and tea and fructose, and drinking 4-5 cups of tea per day.

thanks

BingDing

sunmountain

I've been on a roll the last three days, 1/2 gallon of milk per day and I've used 2 tsp glycine in each 1 1/2 cup glass (pretty much, forget sometimes probably) and in each of two cups of coffee (again, pretty much). So 12-16 tsp or 48-64g.

So I'm well over a 100g of protein, which I've had trouble doing in the past.

I've just been reading a lot about glycine, I have high glutamate and am researching how to oppose it. Glycine is definitely good. I've closed all the pages but I need to go over them again, I'll post if I see anything noteworthy.

BTW, if it was you who commented, glutamate is just a salt of glutamic acid, they are the same thing for our purposes.

sunmountain

BingDing, it just occurred to me that you drink milk, and I don't (or can't at present).

My main source of protein was green can. I try to eat shellfish once or twice a week. Lentils once or twice a week (unPeaty, I know). For every 2 tablespoons of green can, if I substitute 2 teaspoons of glycine, would it give me enough protein, I wonder, to reach my 80g goal? I'd have to crono and see. I don't mean that all 80g come from gelatin or glycine, but a good bit of it.

Also I can't find any calorie information on glycine. I want to create a food in crono, so I can track how much protein and calories I'm getting from glycine. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

BingDing

3 1/3 teaspoons of glycine would be about the same protein as 2 tablespoons of green can, 13g.

Lentils are the white rice of legumes, IMO, as Ray suggested in an interview that I will never be able to find. If you can digest them OK I wouldn't worry about them.

I don't use crono, but 1/4 tsp = 1g protein

Let us know how you do.

sunmountain

Thanks BingDing!

3 tsp is 1 tablespoon. So instead of putting 2T green can in tea, I can put in 1T glycine.

I also started on Align probiotic which the GI recommended. Not much happening right now except Align is causing constipation so upping cascara.

Full steam on fructose.

Doubled progest-e and have not had pelvic pain recently.

BingDing

FWIW, thebigPeatowski mentioned a probiotic she took while on her garlic odyssey. I looked it up and it had great reviews, but had been discontinued. She might have a suggestion for such.

emmanceb

I don't think you can replace the protein you were getting from gelatin with glycine alone, gelatin is already an incomplete protein so further stripping away the amino acid profile to just one is gonna leave you deficient I believe