Reversing Gynecomastia

franko

DankMemes said:
post 108066This is a pretty embarrassing problem and is causing me a fair bit of grief. I'm about a year into peating and it's only starting appearing within the last 2 months or so. My nips get cone like and are very visible through my shirt, if they're hard when it's cold or I'm just out of the shower my chest looks completely normal, but I don't really want to be rubbing my nips in public :lol:

I have a similar condition. Here is my recommendation:

Get a blood test and check your Prolactin, Testosterone & Estrogen levels.

Once you have blood tests, you then have something you can measure that will tell you whether any of your diet/supplement/drug/hormone experiments are actually making a difference. As you can see from this thread, everyone has different ideas and biases about what protocols you should try and what will work. But there is only one way (other than observing symptoms) to evaluate the merits of these suggestions, and that is to discover what are the important and relevant biomarkers and then experiment and measure the changes over time.

Based on my experience, I bet that you will have a difficult time getting a conventional doctor to take your condition seriously as gynecomastia. My doctor seemed to be expecting at least B-cup manboobs because he told me that he wouldn't be able to physically give me a mammogram and concluded that it might be a "skin issue." He did want to see me get my prolactin down, so he gets points for that I guess.

Read what this endocrinology textbook has to say about gynecomastia which is also partially available in html form here.

Here is a section of particular relevance:

On physical examination, it is necessary to distinguish between psuedogynecomasatia, which is breast enlargement caused by increased adipose tissue, and true gynecomastia (Fig. 120-1). In the latter condition, there is an enlargement of the mammae. The glandular tissue can be palpated as radially arranged cords, usually around the nipple, and may form a discrete button-like mass or merge gradually with the surrounding adipose tissue. The areolae may be enlarged and convex, and the small areolar glands (glands of Montgomery) often are prominent. Frequently, the mammary papilla or nipple is enlarged and protuberant (Fig. 120-2). Breast tenderness (mastodynia) may be present, particularly if the onset is recent.

I have those "radially arranged cords" but no "button-like mass" in the center. I have the "enlarged and convex" areolae and have noticed the mammary papilla (actual nipple) is slightly larger and more protuberant than it used to be.

As for the hormonal context, here is more from that textbook:

Given the long recognized role of estrogens in stimulating mammary growth, it is not surprising that high circulating estrogen levels of exogenius or endogenious origin can be associated with gynecomastia. More recently, however, gynecomastia has been noted in disorders with deficient androgen production even when estrogen production is normal, leading to the concept that gynecomastia often may be related to increases in the circulating estrogen/androgen ratio rather than to absolute increases in estrogen per se.

Hyperprolactinemia, which is implicated strongly in galactorrhea (milky breast discharge), rarely is a cause of gynecomastia. However, disorders causing increases in the circulating estrogen/androgen ratio may result in both hyperprolactinemia and gynecomastia as independent secondary effects.

That's why you should get your Testosterone and Estrogen checked. Because the culprit is likely a low androgen:estrogen ratio.

Also worth noting, Haidut has several posts positing that estrogen levels in the blood are not a reliable indicator of estrogen levels in the tissues — which I would think is certainly the more important metric in the case of gynecomastia — and that the prolactin level is a much better predictor of estrogen levels in your tissues.

That's why you should get your Prolactin checked because it usually correlates with gynecomastia and low androgen:estrogen ratio and you will likely have to tackle both issues because they are synergistic.

For the blood tests, you can try to get your doctor to order them, or you can do them privately via a site privatemdlabs.com

Here are links to those tests:

Testosterone, Estradiol, LH, FSH
http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests. ... arch=#1032

Prolactin
http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests. ... earch=#699

If you can swing it, you could also throw in a check of your thyroid( TSH, T4 & T3) and liver and kidney health. Here's a test that covers those and more and is a pretty good deal when you compare to getting all these tests individually.

http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests. ... arch=#2137

Sidenote: you may want to palpate (feel) your areola to diagnose your condition but don't touch, squeeze, rub or play with your nipples/areola any more than you have to — this is known to cause increases in prolactin levels, a claim which I have verified through bloodwork in my own experience. The explanation is simple, it simulates suckling and suckling stimulates lactation in mammals. In men with health estrogen, testosterone and prolactin levels, this is probably harmless, but in your condition it's best to avoid it. Anything causing fullness, tenderness and/or sensitivity in your areolae is probably going to worsen your condition.

From your pictures, sorry to say, but I think you have the beginnings of gynecomastia. Don't wait any longer to start to do something about it. My theory is that the convex areola and enlarged nipple is essentially the equivalent of the "breast bud" that girls often get at puberty which is basically the first sign of the hormonal change that initiates breast development. So, if my theory is correct, "puffy nipples" is how it starts, and if the hormonal environment does not change it will eventually lead to noticeable breast growth.

If you get blood tests, definitely let us know the results. Take a look at my log if you want to know what protocols I've been experimenting with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miggie

DankMemes said:
post 108247
Peata said:
post 108136 Just to be clear, how long have you been off the Matt Stone eating and back onto a lower fat, high carb diet?

About 3 months ago I was having problems with too much liquid, I found Matt Stone and stuck with that for ~4 weeks. I lowered sugar and milk intake and really up starch and fat, I was probably getting 5k cals a day eating like this. That is where I attribute my weight gain but I never noticed anything odd with my chest or a hint of gynecomastia. At the end of these 4 weeks my thyroid supp came in the mail so I decided to go back to strict(ish) peating again and hopefully the t4/t3 will help me manage any problems with heavy liquid intake, which it did/does.

tca300 said:
post 108147 He said he's been peating for a year.. Then 3 months ago went through a Matt Stone phase, THEN within the last 2 months started having boob issues... To not develope man boobs in the first 7 months, then change your diet and have a problem soon thereafter seems pretty obvious why he is now having problems. Eating starch and fatty cheese could easily cause man boobs imo. Ray has said that the carcinogenic action of the super high rise in insulin from starch can raise estrogen, and along with that eating a decent amount of fat which also raises estrogen, and serotonin, which can cause prolactin to rise.. It sucks but as soon as you start a stress response it seems to have a domino effect on the stress hormones. Oh ya and earlier you said you ate 4000 calories, but crono says 3000... Big difference.. Not trying to be rude, just observing, also JUST OBSERVING Josh Ruben who also eats starch and a lot of fat ALSO has man boobs.. Seems to be very contagious indeed. But luckily based on study "male mice who eat adequate protein, get adequate vitamins and minerals, have a healthy bowel transit time via raw carrot salads and or phyllium husk, eat a low fat, low starch, high sucrose diet, get more calcium than phosphorus, and adequate red light, seem to be immune to the moobs virus." :Extremelyawsome Terrance 2008.

After the short stint with Matt I was on thiroyd, I upped my dose of cypro and cut starch/fat again. I'm definitely losing fat all over but the gynecomastia only appeared after Matt's protocol. I get your logic that it was likely a delayed reaction from Mr stone's work, I'm definitely not blaming Peat, I'm just stating the timeline.

I was eating around 4k cals but in this last fortnight where I've been more concious of what I'm eating in an attempt to slim down and hopefully reduce boob fat, I cut the red bulls, quit snacking on dates constantly and swapped to skim from 1% milk. So now I'm closer to 3k. In general it's somewhere between 3-4k, I don't eat exactly the same thing everyday, sometimes I might get some mangoes on special, or I might have an extra tbsp of coconut oil, extra potato, more fish and milk one day etc. The crono pic represents the core of my diet, and the dates, red bull, fish, mango kind of rotate. Sorry I don't mean to be inconsistent, I made this late last night :D And don't worry about being rude, I know you're just trying to help.

TheHound said:
post 108135 have you tried a zinc supplement and eating oysters?

I tried getting fresh oysters but they make me gag and they're like a dollar each. I can't find a canned brand that's not soaked in PUFA so I supplement 25mg whenever I eat liver to balance out the copper and iron. I'm a bit unsure about zinc, it's suppose to strongly oppose aromatase and prolactin but I'm worried the supplement could cause more problems for my weakened liver. Maybe we should get Haidut on a zinc/selenium supp :D

Okay so here are some pics for everyone. It might seem quite minor right now but it still makes me very self concious, and it's only getting worse. Hopefully I'll have some after pictures to post in a few weeks/months. Its more than just an excess fat problem, I was fatter during the matt stone thing and didn't have ***s like this.

http://imgur.com/a/bkdeO

I'm not trying to be an **** but looking at your pictures it looks like you are bloated and carry a descent amount of fat. So if you want to get rid of the "gyno" get rid of the fat and water.

answersfound

vitamin e

Nicholas

Miggie said:
post 108351
DankMemes said:
post 108247
Peata said:
post 108136 Just to be clear, how long have you been off the Matt Stone eating and back onto a lower fat, high carb diet?

About 3 months ago I was having problems with too much liquid, I found Matt Stone and stuck with that for ~4 weeks. I lowered sugar and milk intake and really up starch and fat, I was probably getting 5k cals a day eating like this. That is where I attribute my weight gain but I never noticed anything odd with my chest or a hint of gynecomastia. At the end of these 4 weeks my thyroid supp came in the mail so I decided to go back to strict(ish) peating again and hopefully the t4/t3 will help me manage any problems with heavy liquid intake, which it did/does.

tca300 said:
post 108147 He said he's been peating for a year.. Then 3 months ago went through a Matt Stone phase, THEN within the last 2 months started having boob issues... To not develope man boobs in the first 7 months, then change your diet and have a problem soon thereafter seems pretty obvious why he is now having problems. Eating starch and fatty cheese could easily cause man boobs imo. Ray has said that the carcinogenic action of the super high rise in insulin from starch can raise estrogen, and along with that eating a decent amount of fat which also raises estrogen, and serotonin, which can cause prolactin to rise.. It sucks but as soon as you start a stress response it seems to have a domino effect on the stress hormones. Oh ya and earlier you said you ate 4000 calories, but crono says 3000... Big difference.. Not trying to be rude, just observing, also JUST OBSERVING Josh Ruben who also eats starch and a lot of fat ALSO has man boobs.. Seems to be very contagious indeed. But luckily based on study "male mice who eat adequate protein, get adequate vitamins and minerals, have a healthy bowel transit time via raw carrot salads and or phyllium husk, eat a low fat, low starch, high sucrose diet, get more calcium than phosphorus, and adequate red light, seem to be immune to the moobs virus." :Extremelyawsome Terrance 2008.

After the short stint with Matt I was on thiroyd, I upped my dose of cypro and cut starch/fat again. I'm definitely losing fat all over but the gynecomastia only appeared after Matt's protocol. I get your logic that it was likely a delayed reaction from Mr stone's work, I'm definitely not blaming Peat, I'm just stating the timeline.

I was eating around 4k cals but in this last fortnight where I've been more concious of what I'm eating in an attempt to slim down and hopefully reduce boob fat, I cut the red bulls, quit snacking on dates constantly and swapped to skim from 1% milk. So now I'm closer to 3k. In general it's somewhere between 3-4k, I don't eat exactly the same thing everyday, sometimes I might get some mangoes on special, or I might have an extra tbsp of coconut oil, extra potato, more fish and milk one day etc. The crono pic represents the core of my diet, and the dates, red bull, fish, mango kind of rotate. Sorry I don't mean to be inconsistent, I made this late last night :D And don't worry about being rude, I know you're just trying to help.

TheHound said:

I tried getting fresh oysters but they make me gag and they're like a dollar each. I can't find a canned brand that's not soaked in PUFA so I supplement 25mg whenever I eat liver to balance out the copper and iron. I'm a bit unsure about zinc, it's suppose to strongly oppose aromatase and prolactin but I'm worried the supplement could cause more problems for my weakened liver. Maybe we should get Haidut on a zinc/selenium supp :D

Okay so here are some pics for everyone. It might seem quite minor right now but it still makes me very self concious, and it's only getting worse. Hopefully I'll have some after pictures to post in a few weeks/months. Its more than just an excess fat problem, I was fatter during the matt stone thing and didn't have ***s like this.

I'm not trying to be an **** but looking at your pictures it looks like you are bloated and carry a descent amount of fat. So if you want to get rid of the "gyno" get rid of the fat and water.

same process to get there either way...and he said it's not fat/water...

Miggie

Nicholas said:
post 108357
Miggie said:
post 108351
DankMemes said:
post 108247
Peata said:

tca300 said:

TheHound said:

same process to get there either way...and he said it's not fat/water...

I know he said its not water and fat but I say it is look at the rest of his body thats visable, hes in the bodyfat range to get pseudo gyno.

OP
D

DankMemes

I'm starting to feel like something is really wrong. My libido is almost non existent and I am 99% sure my penis has shrunk. This sounds like a joke but I'm genuinely concerned.

All of these issues only seemed to appear in the last 2 months or so. I'm going to immediately stop taking my NDT supplement, I'm not blaming it for my problems but I began taking it around the same time as I started noticing problems and I was I bit reckless with taking too much too soon.

Here's some bloodwork I had done in April, nothing spectacular but I thought I would post it anyway in case anything jumps out to anyone. I'm 22 years old.

http://imgur.com/a/edn01

I'll try get some blood tests tomorrow for prolactin, free test and estrogens (anything else I should check). I'm not sure if I can get private tests done here in Australia so I might get pushed back, the culture here is that the doctor knows everything and the patient is a gullible idiot who Googles too much.

I'm really thankful for all the responses, there's a lot of information to take in and I guess healing will take time, but I thought I was doing everything correctly already. I'm trying to stay positive but I feel like I'll never be healthy again. It's ironic that when I started my health kick 4-5 years ago is where everything started to decline.

XPlus

Looking at your pictures, there isn't much fat. So I'd worry less about the fat.
Gyne is barely noticeable, really - unless you're asking for it.
Hard nipples maybe a sign of excess estrogen. Some vitamin E, diluted in oil, around the area can take care of it within few hours.
Suntan - early morning/ late noon - I find the sun a very good way to balance hormones, improve skin quality and get vit. D.
Weights can be effective to define muscles but puffing your chest too much might make it worse.
If you're in good heath - not a lot of injuries, not much inflammation and other issues - lifting some weights could make you feel better about how you look in general.
If you decide to go to the next level, I would get labs for thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, prolactin, testosterone, pregnenolone and Vitamin D.
NDT supplements may have T4 alone (i.e. Armour) ans isn't usually recommenced to be taken without T3.

Try the simplest of things first and observe how it works out.
Trying too many things at once might complicate things.

Brian

Do you have any idea what your fat soluble levels are? I think one major problem people have on a high calcium/liquid diet is too much calcium and water gets in their cell unopposed by magnesium and it gets out of control. The over excited cell kicks out potassium, magnesium, sodium. Energy production goes way down. They whole body retains water. I have run into this problem several times before I realized what was going on.

Large amounts of Milk+sugar just doesn't seem to work too well for somebody who is retaining water for whatever reason and isn't sweating large amounts everyday. Many posters on Ray Peat Forum over the years have observed that liquid milk as a staple when metabolism is low would not work for them no matter what they tried. It can work amazing once metabolism is already good and magnesium and sodium are being retained properly, but before that it just seems to cause water retention and lower energy production. Unless your vitamin A, D and magnesium are sufficient a high calcium diet just seems to do the same thing.

You could check your vitamin A and D levels to know for sure, but either way I would decrease liquids and only get calcium from compact sources like greek yogurt while greatly increasing magnesium and sodium intake. Get more carbs from dense low liquid sources.

Keeping fluids low and sodium high when metabolism is poor is one of the few things Matt Stone got right. I also think dry salty refined starches, with very little added fat are very useful for supplying a steady source of glucose to cells while hypothyroid. They may not be the perfect fuel long term, but at least temporarily I think are very useful.

Parsifal

Brian said:
Do you have any idea what your fat soluble levels are? I think one major problem people have on a high calcium/liquid diet is too much calcium and water gets in their cell unopposed by magnesium and it gets out of control. The over excited cell kicks out potassium, magnesium, sodium. Energy production goes way down. They whole body retains water. I have run into this problem several times before I realized what was going on.
Isn't there a good quantity of magnesium in milk as well to balance calcium/magnesium? (even if lactose increases calcium absorption)?

I've read about minerals antagonism and the fact that non-organic (if they aren't chelated to an amino acid) are important for mineral balance but it seems that RP never talked about it (just that Zinc/copper/iron are in competition for absorption IIRC)?
Could be interesting to have more informations on this topic as a defficiency in magnesium seems to lead to hypothyroid symptoms...

Brian

Parsifal said:
Isn't there a good quantity of magnesium in milk as well to balance calcium/magnesium? (even if lactose increases calcium absorption)?

I've read about minerals antagonism and the fact that non-organic (if they aren't chelated to an amino acid) are important for mineral balance but it seems that RP never talked about it (just that Zinc/copper/iron are in competition for absorption IIRC)?
Could be interesting to have more informations on this topic as a defficiency in magnesium seems to lead to hypothyroid symptoms...

In low fat milks usually most of the magnesium is removed in processing. But intake is not the only problem. If progesterone is low retention of magnesium will be very poor no matter how much you consume. Supplementing thyroid might work, but if vitamin A and magnesium are too low I wouldn't expect much progesterone to be synthesized. So I wonder if in some people's situation they would be better off reducing liquids and calcium somewhat while increasing vitamin A, magnesium, and sodium. While increasing glucose metabolism somehow so that the cell will eventually regulate the electrolytes properly on its own.

“Much of the intracellular magnesium is complexed with ATP, and helps to stabilize that molecule. If cellular energy production is low, as in hypothyroidism, cells tend to lose their magnesium very easily, shifting the balance toward the lower energy molecule, ADP, with the release of phosphate. ADP complexes with calcium, rather than magnesium, increasing the cells calcium content.”

I'm not completely sure why cells might not be holding on to magnesium even with thyroid supplementation. Maybe even thyroid can't make up for issues like fat soluble imbalance or free fatty acids interfering with glucose entering the cell. Or maybe it could just be not enough total magnesium is being consumed in relation to very high calcium. In my own experience my issue was free fatty acids, fat solubles. Decreasing cortisol/serotonin and increasing progesterone through being in a very bright and warm environment all day was another key for me. I never used thyroid, maybe it could have helped, but thyroid surrogates seem to work just as well.

OP
D

DankMemes

In the past few days I've stopped taking cypro, thyroid and aspirin. I've also stopped drinking milk and I actually feel better, my hands and feet are warmer and I don't have a white tongue or any bloating. Since cutting the milk my coffee intake dropped a lot but I actually don't feel too bad, I've been drinking a fair bit of red bull too, ingredients wise nothing looks too offensive and i find I tolerate it very well.

I saw my doctor yesterday and told him my problems and concerns, he suspects heightened prolactin levels are causing my problems but we're just waiting for the blood test results.

There's a few things getting tested

• Liver function test
  • Free testosterone
  • Total testosterone
  • TSH
  • SHBG
  • Prolactin
  • Cholesterol/Trigs/HDL?LDL
  • Kidney and liver chemistry (?)
  • Leutenizing hormone
  • A few others that I've forgotten

I really like this doctor, he definitely has some mainstream views that are outdated in the eyes of everyone here, he listens to what I say and is open to discussion.

Anyway, I'll give another update on the weekend when my tests are back. Cheers

Parsifal

Is a hard inflammed cyst under a nipple a sign of gynecomastia?

I have it since I did a PUFA meal 3 month ago and nothing would make it go away.

Koveras

hyperthyroid gynecomastia - PubMed - NCBI

M

marikay

Hi. Just started following this thread…I think you should

1. dump the bananas
2. put baking soda in OJ and drink up
3. use full fat milk (for the fat soluble vitamins)
4. stop taking vitamin d and get your vitamin d from the sun.

the use of the words "cone like nips" you use in your first post says it all. it's a prolactin problem. good luck

Drareg

I think you have the right angle here.

It is possible that some people may not need thyroid particularly when young, high protein,sugar,minerals and vitamins from oysters or liver can rectify the situation quickly as Peat has mentioned, some of the studies posted on here is now implying that an 85kg individual under immense stress should have over 300g protein,this is a lot of food making eating a chore at times.

Hyperthyroidism can potentially cause low diastolic blood pressure while increasing pulse pressure and systolic pressure,this going on in the body would be a weird feeling.
Changes of arterial pressure in patients with hyperthyroidism during therapy. - PubMed - NCBI

beta pandemic

bro i've been having similar issues since starting. 2 litres of whole milk a day. i dont have gyno but my nipples have puffed up to the point where my gf has noticed. balls also do not hang as low and libido is almost shot. could coffee consumption have an influence on e? i take 50 grams of instant coffee a day for liver. cutting milk in half for a couple weeks and recplacing with starch & low fat meat meals

Area-1255

bro i've been having similar issues since starting. 2 litres of whole milk a day. i dont have gyno but my nipples have puffed up to the point where my gf has noticed. balls also do not hang as low and libido is almost shot. could coffee consumption have an influence on e? i take 50 grams of instant coffee a day for liver. cutting milk in half for a couple weeks and recplacing with starch & low fat meat meals
Eat more parsley, supplement with 7,8 benzoflavone and Chamomile with 1.2-1.3% Apigenin @night.

beta pandemic

DUDE you are not going to believe this but I had actually been craving parlsey for the last few days and I just ignored it. wow.

still testing the dietary change and will update in a couple weeks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals