Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

Swandattur

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

The above comment referred to a comment in the RP depository. I got mixed up and commented there, but I am really tired and muddled now and can't think straight. So, I will have to leave it as is for now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Swandattur said:
The above comment referred to a comment in the RP depository. I got mixed up and commented there, but I am really tired and muddled now and can't think straight. So, I will have to leave it as is for now.
No worries. :D

jyb

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Swandattur said:
Maybe no matter how digestible the food, the digestive tract may not be that efficient at digesting it. Even with foods that give me no obvious digestive problem, I get signs that all is not digesting well, like mood problems and hot flashes and weird fuel oil smells in my nose. I wish I understood all this better.

Thanks for commenting on my post in RP email depository about cascara.

I don't have any obvious signs of digestions problems either when I eat milk, OJ, meat etc. To the contrary, the symptoms of poor digestions like stuffed nose and post-meal sluggishness are absent on this diet. But I do notice that the transit time is rather irregular, and Cascara will make it very regular, in addition to improving hypothyroid symptoms that none other measures has done before.

Swandattur

That's interesting! I guess it just helps things work that much better. I'm beginning to realize my digestion must really be off, because I have allergy type reactions to many foods, and also sluggishness and depression after very much protein. I get smell distortions and fuel oil smell in my nose after many foods. I wonder if the weird smell may actually be from bacterial fermentation of some sort. Maybe it is mostly a histamine reaction. I don't know. I'll have to keep trying the cascara. Thanks!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

jyb said:
But I do notice that the transit time is rather irregular, and Cascara will make it very regular, in addition to improving hypothyroid symptoms that none other measures has done before.

jyb, what is your source of cascara?

Swandattur

jyb said:
Trying to understand why I got some positive effects from cascara, a lot more than carrot or many other pro-thyroid suggestions:

I think cascara's most important effect is the reduction of the
pro-inflammatory nitric oxide, which poisons mitochondrial energy
production. Raw carrot or bamboo shoots can sometimes have a similar
effect by reducing NO synthesis.

It doesn't entirely answer my question, because I don't see why other pro-thyroid measures wouldn't have reduced NO as well. I eat very digestible foods and not expecting endotoxin to be present in excess, and since NO seems to be caused by endotoxin, I don't know where NO comes from and why cascara specifically was efficient.

Oops! I goofed! Trying to transport this quote someplace else.

(Moved for you! 4ps)

HDD

jyb wrote-

"Trying to understand why I got some positive effects from cascara, a lot more than carrot or many other pro-thyroid suggestions:

"I think cascara's most important effect is the reduction of the
pro-inflammatory nitric oxide, which poisons mitochondrial energy
production. Raw carrot or bamboo shoots can sometimes have a similar
effect by reducing NO synthesis."

It doesn't entirely answer my question, because I don't see why other pro-thyroid measures wouldn't have reduced NO as well. I eat very digestible foods and not expecting endotoxin to be present in excess, and since NO seems to be caused by endotoxin, I don't know where NO comes from and why cascara specifically was efficient."

Other causes of NO synthesis and release-

"Besides endotoxin, estrogen, vibrational injury, radiation, aging, cold, and hypoosmolarity, increase NO synthesis and release, and increase cellular permeabilities throughout the body.
Estrogen excess (relative to progesterone and androgens), as in pregnancy, stress, and aging, reduces intestinal motility, probably by increasing nitric oxide production
. The anthraquinones inhibit the formation of nitric oxide, which is constantly being promoted by endotoxin." (Bold mine)

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

jyb said:
Charlie said:
jyb, what is your source of cascara?

The Farmalabor one.

Thanks. I need to work on getting me some.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I have a way to get it just need to start the process. So many things on my plate right now though. In due time.

Um, this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but how are you all contacting Ray Peat? I can't seem to find his email address anywhere. If I need to pay for a consultation I'd be happy to do that.

4peatssake

harnessedinslums said:
Um, this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but how are you all contacting Ray Peat? I can't seem to find his email address anywhere. If I need to pay for a consultation I'd be happy to do that.
Yes, you posted in the thread where we put email exchanges with Ray Peat so I moved it over the the discussion thread for comments.

To answer your question, Ray Peat used to have a contact form on his website that people used to contact him and he would respond by email. That page no longer exists so and I am not aware of any other way to contact him.

I think it was taken down due to the large volume of email he was receiving.

jyb

BingDing said:
Someone asked Peat:

"Do you believe that the following ingredients in Haribo Gummy Bears contain any excitotoxins?"

Well, it contains things like -dextrose sugars, which are corn derived and may contain heavy metals - see an email exchange of mine a few pages ago.

Kray

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository: Chlorine or Fluorine

Charlie said:
:hattip RP Fans

Background: I pace back and forth due to worry, nerve on my bottom of my foot got swollen, PAIN. Dr. Peat recommended Benadryl cream - all pain went away, was able to get some sleep. Pain came back, but less, just put more cream, then it went. Finally all pain is gone. Foot is good. Told Dr. Peat I am thinking about taking Cetirizine for overall health.
He said:

Ray Peat said:
I avoid drugs that contain chlorine or fluorine, because of the risk to the liver.
(and gave me the research)

When I asked him about Benadryl containing chloride, and even salt does, he clarified:

Ray Peat said:
Our enzymes aren't designed for the combination of chlorine with carbon molecules.

He gave me this research: (omitted)

Hi Charlie,

Sorry if I missed the point but does Peat say Benadryl is not a good choice, as the other one you had asked him about? What is a good alternative that wouldn't have the chloride issue? I hope it doesn't require a prescription, whatever it is. I have been taking 1 Benadryl per night for some skin allergy stuff. If you can make a better recommendation, I'd appreciate knowing. :)

Kray

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Organic Coffee

Charlie said:
:hattip Judi

Source

(from an email exchange in 2011)

Ray Peat said:
Organic coffee is preferable (in the coffee orchards I have seen no pesticides were needed), but the roasting process probably eliminates any added chemicals.

Charlie,

I never knew Peat had commented on organic coffee vs non before. I drink a lot of coffee that is non-organic. How important do you think it is to drink organic? Do you drink organic-only? Is there a discussion anywhere on the forum more about this than what I've linked above? Thanks! :)

superhuman

ive had alot of email with RP regarding this issue and he says using 4 tsp baking soda a day in addition to the foods/salty foods you are eating is good for hypothyroid people. So thats a good amount of sodium to get in :)

God23Power

How do we send a msg to ray pete or get a msg answered by ray pete? Its important. Thanks a million

Curt :-)

I've lost the email but a while ago I asked Ray about low libido/testosterone.
He said that in hypothyroidism, stress hormones often increase at the expense of testosterone. He recommended regular consumption of milk and fruits, and strict avoidance of PUFA.

Filip1993

@Mittir How do you make your sugar syrup?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals