Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

Mittir

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Filip1993 said:
@Mittir How do you make your sugar syrup?

Half cup of sugar with some water till it is little over the sugar level
and then add 1-2 tsp of lemon juice (this part is optional, but it helps
with breakdown of sugar) microwave 1 minute or more.

Very interestind Dan, perhaps a current between the skin and the tip of the tooth should provide the correct direction to the growth.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dan, thank you for posting the recent teeth/gums email to the wiki. :hattip

That actually gave me an idea, I am thinking we should feed all the "Email Advice" we have collected here on the forum, into the "Peatarian.com Email Exchanges" located at the wiki, and just rename it "Email Exchanges" or whatever we come up with.

If anyone is up to that task, that would be surely helpful to many people. :hattip

Nstocks

Probably not the correct thread but if anyone can contact Peat, PLEASE ask him for his thoughts on how to get rid of helicobacter pylori.

onioneyedox

[ moderator edit: response to this post: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository | Page 3 | Ray Peat Forum ]

I find it to be otherway around, heh. I never did graduate, but mathematicians, that I don't know many, tbh, were all, kind, curious, interesting and supporting people. I would say that they were very much opposite what you and Peat are describing. They acknowledge that everyone has potential to learn maths at young age and that education is rigid and all that. Not very much involved in "real life" usually, if not to protect and develop education. They may undervalue applied sciences and even applied maths, though mainly they just don't have interest for that. Many practise music etc. They respect hard work and collaboration rather than intelligence (as in mythical IQ, or mensa etc.), which may be suprise at the beginning and on the contrary to schools and culture prior uni (ofc there are great mathematicians that are admired). I don't think people pursue math for it's "rigidity", but generally they enjoy the beauty and freedom of it. Creating math is very much exploration and intuition, bound only by your imagination. But I guess mathematicians may seem odd folk to outsiders.

I don't know, but it sounds like you are just starting your studies?

milk_lover

Guys, why is Dr. Peat contact info kept a secret? I don't find it on his website and no one here is willing to share it..

superhuman

Guys, why is Dr. Peat contact info kept a secret? I don't find it on his website and no one here is willing to share it..

because way to many people are lazy and will spam him and use his time with questions he has answered 99999 times before and are available to get from the forum or through the search engine or his articles

dookie

Question was regarding a 14yo boy born with a brain injury, with respect to what also might improve his brain function to enable talking. Recent introduction of 're-breathing' has reduced his spasmic movements, quietened his brain and may have improved his very dry skin. His temps are 36-37 but pulse very difficult to find. Also his brain is slowed (in a helpful way) when he eats (if rarely) nori rolls of salmon, avocado, sushi rice and seaweed surround. His general diet is excellent, digestible, low PUFA/gluten, sufficient etc. so the effect of this 'meal' is interesting. Slowing down "my brain firing too much" as he tells us, should help, does anything else occur to you [Dr Peat] that we could try?

Dr Peat kindly replies:

The dry skin and weak pulse suggest very low thyroid function. The salmon, avocado, and rice are a good balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrate; maybe fat cheese could be substituted for the salmon sometimes. Both sugar and fat stimulate the digestive system hormone that stimulates brain cell renewal. Progesterone helps to reduce tension and excitation, and protects nerves. Pregnenolone reduces stress, and protects nerves.

J Neurosci. 2005 Feb 16;25(7):1816-25.

Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide is expressed in adult hippocampus and induces progenitor cell proliferation.

Nyberg J(1), Anderson MF, Meister B, Alborn AM, Ström AK, Brederlau A, Illerskog
AC, Nilsson O, Kieffer TJ, Hietala MA, Ricksten A, Eriksson PS.
(1)The Arvid Carlsson Institute for Neuroscience at the Institute of Clinical
Neuroscience, Göteborg University, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, 413 45
Göteborg, Sweden. [email protected]

The hippocampal dentate gyrus (DG) is an area of active proliferation and
neurogenesis within the adult brain. The molecular events controlling adult cell
genesis in the hippocampus essentially remain unknown. It has been reported
previously that adult male and female rats from the strains Sprague Dawley (SD)
and spontaneously hypertensive (SHR) have a marked difference in proliferation
rates of cells in the hippocampal DG. To exploit this natural variability and
identify potential regulators of cell genesis in the hippocampus, hippocampal
gene expression from male SHR as well as male and female SD rats was analyzed
using a cDNA array strategy. Hippocampal expression of the gene-encoding
glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) varied strongly in parallel
with cell-proliferation rates in the adult rat DG. Moreover, robust GIP
immunoreactivity could be detected in the DG. The GIP receptor is expressed by
cultured adult hippocampal progenitors and throughout the granule cell layer of
the DG, including progenitor cells. Thus, these cells have the ability to respond
to GIP. Indeed, exogenously delivered GIP induced proliferation of adult-derived
hippocampal progenitors in vivo as well as in vitro, and adult GIP receptor
knock-out mice exhibit a significantly lower number of newborn cells in the
hippocampal DG compared with wild-type mice. This investigation demonstrates the
presence of GIP in the brain for the first time and provides evidence for a
regulatory function for GIP in progenitor cell proliferation.

Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005 Jul;29(3):414-26.
Thyroid hormone regulates hippocampal neurogenesis in the adult rat brain.
Desouza LA(1), Ladiwala U, Daniel SM, Agashe S, Vaidya RA, Vaidya VA.

(1)Department of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research,
Mumbai 400005, India.

We have examined the influence of thyroid hormone on adult hippocampal
neurogenesis, which encompasses the proliferation, survival and differentiation
of dentate granule cell progenitors. Using bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU), we
demonstrate that adult-onset hypothyroidism significantly decreases hippocampal
neurogenesis. This decline is predominantly the consequence of a significant
decrease in the survival and neuronal differentiation of BrdU-positive cells.
Both the decreased survival and neuronal differentiation of hippocampal
progenitors could be rescued by restored euthyroid status. Adult-onset
hyperthyroidism did not influence hippocampal neurogenesis, suggesting that the
effects of thyroid hormone may be optimally permissive at euthyroid levels. Our
in vivo and in vitro results revealed that adult hippocampal progenitors express
thyroid receptor isoforms. The in vitro studies demonstrate that adult
hippocampal progenitors exhibit enhanced proliferation, survival and glial
differentiation in response to thyroid hormone.
These results support a role for
thyroid hormone in the regulation of adult hippocampal neurogenesis and raise the
possibility that altered neurogenesis may contribute to the cognitive and
behavioral deficits associated with adult-onset hypothyroidism.

Nutr Res. 2014 Aug;34(8):653-60.

High saturated fatty acid intake induces insulin secretion by elevating gastric
inhibitory polypeptide levels in healthy individuals.
Itoh K(1), Moriguchi R(2), Yamada Y(3), Fujita M(4), Yamato T(2), Oumi M(2),
Holst JJ(5), Seino Y(6).

(1)Faculty of Nutritional Sciences, Nakamura Gakuen University, Fukuoka, Japan.
Electronic address: [email protected]. (2)Faculty of Nutritional Sciences,
Nakamura Gakuen University, Fukuoka, Japan. (3)Department of Internal Medicine,

Akita University, Akita City, Japan. (4)Department of Public Health, Chiba
University, Chiba, Japan. (5)Department of Biomedical Sciences, Panum Institute,
University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark. (6)Kansai Electric Power Hospital,
Osaka, Japan.

Insulin resistance is central to the etiology of the metabolic syndrome cluster
of diseases. Evidence suggests that a high-fat diet is associated with insulin
resistance, which may be modulated by dietary fatty acid composition. We
hypothesized that high saturated fatty acid intake increases insulin and gastric
inhibitory polypeptide (GIP) secretion. To clarify the effect of ingested fatty
acid composition on glucose levels, we conducted an intervention study to
investigate the insulin and plasma GIP responses in 11 healthy women, including a
dietary control. Subjects were provided daily control meals (F-20; saturated
fatty acids/monounsaturated fatty acids/polyunsaturated fatty acids [S/M/P]
ratio, 3:4:3) with 20 energy (E) % fat, followed by 2 isoenergetic experimental
meals for 7 days each. These meals comprised 60 E% carbohydrate, 15 E% protein,
and 30 E% fat (FB-30; high saturated fatty acid meal; S/M/P, 5:4:1; F-30: reduced
saturated fatty acid meal; S/M/P, 3:4:3). On the second day of the F-20 and the
last day of F-30 and FB-30, blood samples were taken before and 30, 60, and 120
minutes after a meal tolerance test. The plasma glucose responses did not differ
between F-20 and FB-30 or F-30. However, insulin levels were higher after the
FB-30 than after the F-20 (P < .01). The GIP response after the FB-30 was higher
than that after the F-30 (P < .05). In addition, the difference in the
incremental GIP between FB-30 and F-30 correlated significantly and positively
with that of the insulin. These results suggest that a high saturated fatty acid
content stimulates postprandial insulin release via increased GIP secretion.
Copyright © 2014 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Gene. 2010 Sep 1;463(1-2):29-40.
Functional identification of an intronic promoter of the human glucose-dependent
insulinotropic polypeptide gene.

Hoo RL(1), Chu JY, Yuan Y, Yeung CM, Chan KY, Chow BK.
(1)School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, PR
China.

Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP), a physiological incretin and
enterogastrone, plays a vital role in regulating glucose-dependent insulin
release from the pancreas and gastric acid secretion from the stomach. By using a
transgenic mouse approach, we previously reported that the distal 1.2kb promoter
region of the human GIP (hGIP) gene (-2545/-346, relative to the ATG) was able to
target the transgene expression in the stomach but not in the small intestine
where the majority of GIP-producing cells are located. In the present study, in
order to identify the cis-acting element(s) that is/are required for intestinal
expression, a 1.6kb (-1580/-) DNA fragment within the first intron of the hGIP
gene was isolated and characterized in three GIP-expressing cell lines including
HuTu80 (duodenal cells), PANC-1 (pancreatic ductal cells) and Hs746T (stomach
cells). By 5' and 3' deletion analysis, a proximal promoter element was confined
within the nucleotides -102/-1. This promoter element, functions in an
orientation-dependent manner, was able to drive 15.1 and 18.3 fold increases in
promoter activities in HuTu80 and PANC-1 cells, respectively. Site-directed
mutation analysis indicated that the region -54/-23 was essential for promoter
function while the region -22/-1 might possess opposite effects in HuTu80 and

PANC-1 cells. In competitive and antibody supershift assays, interactions of the
progesterone receptor (PR) and some unknown protein factors from HuTu80 and
PANC-1 with the motif(s) at -54/-23 were evident. Consistent with this finding,
we demonstrated the transcriptional regulation of the hGIP promoter by
progesterone via the PR-B isoform and that progesterone treatment in both HuTu80
and PANC-1 cells resulted in an increase in hGIP transcript level
. In addition, a
sequence motif (ACATGT) residing -48/-43 was found to be responsible for the
binding of potential TFII regulator(s). Taken together, our results suggest that
the proximal intronic sequences contain essential cis-acting elements for the
cell-specific expression of the hGIP gene.

Copyright 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

J Am Coll Nutr. 2009 Jun;28(3):286-95.
The degree of saturation of fatty acids in dietary fats does not affect the
metabolic response to ingested carbohydrate.
Radulescu A(1), Hassan Y, Gannon MC, Nuttall FQ.

(1)Endocrine, Metabolism and Nutrition Section (111G), VA Medical Center,
Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA.

BACKGROUND: We are interested in the metabolic response to ingested
macronutrients, and the interaction between macronutrients in meals. Previously,
we and others reported that the postprandial rise in serum glucose following
ingestion of 50 g carbohydrate, consumed as potato, was markedly attenuated when
butter was ingested with the carbohydrate,
whereas the serum insulin response was
little affected by the combination.

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether a similar response would be observed with three
other dietary fats considerably different in fatty acid composition.
DESIGN: Nine healthy subjects received lard, twelve received olive oil and eleven
received safflower oil as a test meal. The subjects ingested meals of 25 g fat
(lard, olive oil or safflower oil), 50 g CHO (potato), 25 g fat with 50 g CHO or
water only. Glucose, C peptide, insulin, triacylglycerols and nonesterified fatty
acids were determined.

RESULTS: Ingestion of lard, olive oil or safflower oil with potato did not affect
the quantitative glucose and insulin responses to potato alone. However, the
responses were delayed, diminished and prolonged. All three fats when ingested
alone modestly increased the insulin concentration when compared to ingestion of
water alone. When either lard, olive oil or safflower oil was ingested with the
potato, there was an accelerated rise in triacylglycerols. This was most dramatic
with safflower oil.

CONCLUSIONS: Our data indicate that the glucose and insulin response to butter is
unique when compared with the three other fat sources varying in their fatty acid
composition.

I'm surprised he would recommend progesterone to a young boy.

The way even a small dose of progesterone shrinks my penis and testicles and gives me feminine traits would make me think progesterone, at that young age of still developing, could cause some big changes in regards to changes in gender identity, virility, personality, etc.

Maybe the benefits would outweigh the side-effects though, in the case of something as serious as brain injury

Sheila

Dear Dookie
(FWIW) I agree, but suspect in acute injury progesterone is more valid.
This case is chronic and of long standing.
Sheila

haidut

Forum Supporter
My question to Ray Peat: Do you think pregnenolone might decrease prolactin and estrogen? Would a ratio of 2:1 (pregnenolone:DHEA) help mitigate DHEA conversion to estrogen, given no more than 15 mg of DHEA is ingested in a day? Sorry if this question has been asked so many times before.

Ray Peat's answer: "Yes, I think pregnenolone can protect against stress and conversion of DHEA to estrogen; larger quantities would be o.k."

Exactly! Finally, I get Ray to indirectly agree with my findings :):
Pregnenolone is itself anti-estrogenic and also converts to progesterone locally, which helps even more to prevent DHEA from converting to estrogen. Also, contrary to what many people have read on some blogs, neither pregnenolone nor progesterone are inhibitors of the enzyme 5-AR. Quite to the contrary actually. Both pregnenolone and progesterone powerfully stimulate the downstream conversion of steroids and BOTH specifically enhance activity of 5-AR, so taken with DHEA both pregnenolone and progesterone will increase conversion of DHEA into DHT. Btw, the isolated conversion of DHEA into DHT is already about 40%, and adding pregnenolone / progesterone seems to increase it to 60% - 70%, which makes Pansterone probably the most potent androgenic supplement legally obtainable in the USA. Just make sure it is spread on larger skin area to increase the amount of skin cells getting supply of the steroids. The skin has even higher capacity to manufacture DHT compared to the liver and brain, but that capacity is spread over a larger area, so Pansterone needs to be spread over a larger area to maximize that conversion potential.
Just my 2c.

sladerunner69

Question on DHEA I sent to Dr Peat and he kindly gave me an answer.

My question:
"I started supplementing DHEA (3 x 5 mg a day, at least six hours between doses) four days ago with a lot of full-fat milk to bypass the liver metabolism of DHEA and possibly avoid converting it to estrogen. I am 26 years old. Do you think what I am doing is reasonable? What else can I do to make DHEA more androgenic than estrogenic? My family have noticed that my teeth are whiter than usual lately, could DHEA be responsible?"

Dr Peat's response:
"Thyroid and other antiinflammatory things (even aspirin) help to prevent conversion to estrogen. Since stress can quickly decalcify teeth, a good state without stress should make teeth whiter."

hmm interesting connection between teeth color and stress levels.

I think the acidity of the mouth is important. Dr. Peat sted somehwere that saliva quality helps to regulate acidity.

However one look at Dr. Peat's teeth and it is hard to take to heart anything he might recommend for "white teeth".

That said, I don't think synthetic white glowy teeth are actually important in a healthy organism, so long as they are being structurally maintained by calcium.

"For about a month, I took 30-40k IUs daily vitamin a. Might that account for some eye troubles and very dry skin? I read a chinese paper that taurine and zinc help hypervitaminosis a, do you know of anything else, and would transthyretin saturation by A interfere with supplemental t4? As with all of us, i appreciate your dedication and humanity ineffably."

Ray:
"Vitamin A oxidizes easily and an excess can create symptoms of a deficiency, so vitamin E is the most important thing for correcting it; excess vitamin A, like PUFA, interferes with thyroid hormone transport, so it’s important to balance the two."

i've been taking the same amount and have had very dry skin as well. i thought it was something different. how have you made out? also i've had joint aches, i wonder if it is related, i thought it was gout.

raypeatclips

I am posting here because I have lost the exact reply Peat sent me, so I will paraphrase and hope this helps someone in the future.

My problem was with jock itch, a very annoying problem. I didn't want to use regular anti-fungal creams and attempting more alternative things such as applying coconut oil to the area, which some websites hailed as an amazing treatment, did nothing. In fact the issue was getting worse. I emailed Peat and asked him about it and his response was (paraphrased, from memory)

Many years ago I took sulfur baths, which solved the problem. (I think he may have made a comment about smell, or scent, which I have forgotten)

After this response I ordered a cheap 10% sulfur soap from Amazon and lathered it up in my hands at the end of the bath, applied to the area and waited a few minutes outside of water with it on, before washing off. It resolved the problem in 3-4 washes. About 2 weeks later I noticed the issue coming back, a slight sensation, one final "treatment" as I described above completely got rid of it and around a year later now, it has not come back. Hope this helps someone reading and searching for jock itch, fungal infections or rash remedies in the future!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals