Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

chris

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Charlie said:
Wondering if we should ask Bruno over at Peatarian if we could take his list and build off it?

http://peatarian.com/?qa=private-corresponding

That's a good list. I guess it is worth asking, although they are Peats words, so not really owned my anyone. I recognised a few answers to some of my emails in there.

Beebop

When you quote from a private email from Peat do you ask his permission first? Has anyone ever asked his permission? I know many people have quoted him and it's in order to help others, but I felt funny doing so without asking him first, so stopped. Thoughts?

OP
J

j.

If there is no private information, I don't think it's a problem.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Chris, are you going to be able to organize the emails? Just was wondering if you were still interested in doing that? I think I have an idea on how we can post it up once it's all organized.

chris

Charlie said:
Chris, are you going to be able to organize the emails? Just was wondering if you were still interested in doing that? I think I have an idea on how we can post it up once it's all organized.

I have not had the chance but will give it a go over the next couple of weeks. What's your idea? Drop me a PM.

Rodzilla

has there been any discussion of this elsewhere?

taken from he RP Email Depository

Lucy wrote:
Peat told me this in regards to thyroid causing a high metabolic rate:

Ray Peat wrote:
"About your high metabolic rate and high temperature: In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories. Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol. They cause fat and protein to be burned for energy, while in hypothyroidism, glucose can still be used inefficiently for glycolysis, producing lactic acid, displacing bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. This causes mineral imbalances, with effects including cramps and nerve-muscle tension, which produce heat and waste energy. When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium, during the time when the dose is increasing, and when the mineral balance is restored your temperature and metabolic rate might decrease a little. Orange juice, milk, and coffee are good for the main minerals, while salting your food to taste."

Ray Peat wrote:
"Supplementing thyroid can sometimes reduce the rate of metabolism, by allowing cells to retain enough magnesium, which stabilizes ATP."

Dan W

chris said:
Charlie said:

I have not had the chance but will give it a go over the next couple of weeks. What's your idea? Drop me a PM.

I'm also curious about your idea, Charlie. When I started getting into Peat, I thought a wiki/tagging system would be useful, since sometimes a particular quote belongs in multiple categories. Plus "wikipeatia.com" is available, which is almost too good to pass up :D

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Dan, my idea was actually pretty lame I think. :lol:

Basically make a new thread, in the first post put all the links to each category of emails. Then in the rest of the posts, for each post it would be a certain category, say like, orange juice for example. All the emails for orange juice would be in that post. The very first post would contain the direct link to the post of orange juice emails. Does that make sense? Lame, I know. But effective maybe. Whomever was in charge of the project could be given edit rights to go in and add new emails as needed to whatever category.

OP
J

j.

I think somebody should create something like a post rating/thread rating system, so if one wants to see the most useful information/threads, it's easy to do that. It seems hard though, I don't know what strategy one could use.

I'm ot talking about the up voting system where one "likes" one post, because someone could like a post because it's funny or something, where I'm interesting in a high rating from a nutrition knowledge perspective.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

J, I am going to attempt to install the thanks system again in the future soon as I get some extra time. I do think it would be useful.

I will also be moving the email depository to its own section in the future.

eminions

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Oh, and not really a Ray Peat quote, but from Trader Joe's:

Does any of the Trader Joe's brand orange juice contain added enzymes or flavors?
Do you also know if the orange juice from concentrate has water with fluoride added to it?

Thank you for contacting us! None of our Trader Joe's Orange Juice varieties will contain added enzymes or flavor packets. Each of our products will be made with different ingredients, including water, therefore we cannot answer your fluoride inquiry specifically unless you have a specific TJ'S product in mind.

BingDing

From the email thread:

Carrot Salad:
Just chewing a carrot is best, any saturated fat around the same time is o.k. What doesn't work very well is to grind the carrot very fine.

Maybe that's why I bailed on shredded carrot, I never really liked it. And I was all proud of how my 25 year old Kitchenaid machine made such fine shreds. Just eating a carrot dipped in CO is what I've been doing, feeling like I was a slacker. :): Whew, I feel like a new man!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

BingDing said:
From the email thread:

Carrot Salad:
Just chewing a carrot is best, any saturated fat around the same time is o.k. What doesn't work very well is to grind the carrot very fine.

Maybe that's why I bailed on shredded carrot, I never really liked it. And I was all proud of how my 25 year old Kitchenaid machine made such fine shreds. Just eating a carrot dipped in CO is what I've been doing, feeling like I was a slacker. :): Whew, I feel like a new man!

Yeh I always try to chew them up as best as possible. Oops! :lol:

BingDing

eminions said:
Oh, and not really a Ray Peat quote, but from Trader Joe's:

Does any of the Trader Joe's brand orange juice contain added enzymes or flavors?
Do you also know if the orange juice from concentrate has water with fluoride added to it?

Thank you for contacting us! None of our Trader Joe's Orange Juice varieties will contain added enzymes or flavor packets. Each of our products will be made with different ingredients, including water, therefore we cannot answer your fluoride inquiry specifically unless you have a specific TJ'S product in mind.

Nice work, eminions. Interesting that you just said "flavors" and they replied with "flavor packets".

I've been meaning to send the same inquiry to Whole Foods and Harris Teeter, you've inspired me to get off my arse and do so.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Just a quick note. Now that the email depository has it's own section. Feel free to start your own thread about a particular email exchange if you like. Or, just keep it in this thread if you want.

Please keep continuing to deposit the emails in the depository thread though. Eventually we are going to get around to categorizing it somehow. And remember you can always search the email thread for a specific keyword by using the search function that is located right about the threads.

A big thanks to everyone who has deposited emails. I am sure they are helping a bunch of people!

Swandattur

It would be nice if there were a place where all these Peat suggested supplements and special foods were listed along with everything Ray Peat has said about them that anyone has. Also, maybe problems anyone has had with any of them.
I wonder what sort of vitamin E should be used for this. I have some that is in soy bean oil. I guess E has to be in a PUFA oil?
I am too confused about supplements to attempt using them.

Kelly

A guy took 1000 mg of progesterone per day? :shock:

Swandattur

I don't understand the information about ferrous and ferric iron in meat in the email advice depository. It was said that fresh meat contained the bad form of iron, and older meat the better form? I thought Peat thought fresh meat was better and not aged meat. Or is that wrong? Not that you can get fresh meat at the grocery store. The beef is aged from what I understand.

Swandattur

Maybe no matter how digestible the food, the digestive tract may not be that efficient at digesting it. Even with foods that give me no obvious digestive problem, I get signs that all is not digesting well, like mood problems and hot flashes and weird fuel oil smells in my nose. I wish I understood all this better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals