Ray Being Almost Killed In The South In 1960s And Easy Rider Film

Herbie

This post refers to a recent interview with Danny, Georgi and Ray named #30: LSD, Serotonin, and Hallucinations | PUFA and Lipofuscin | Strategy of Tension | William Blake at 23:11 - Ray's experience with racism.

"I took a couple of trips into and through the southern states in 1960 and 1964 and even though I thought of myself as being a white person, I was for some reason seen by the natives as atleast as dangerous as a black person. I am not sure what is was but I narrowly escaped getting killed a couple of times once of each trip and after the second time I stayed away for 30 years, I just saw it as one of the worst sort of sadistic xenophobia" - Ray Peat

"Something about my face or manor made them want to kill me." Ray Peat

"Um it must have been I had an out of state drivers licence and fat side burns probably dressed in an unconventional way, I am not sure. you could see the hatred emanating when I would stop at a gas station or something." Ray Peat

"It was a culture total obedience to some mysterious standard of being " Ray Peat.

A few weeks ago I watched the film Easy Rider 1969, the film was about two men representing the freedom of being American, traveling through the south in the 60's and inevitably facing what Ray really experienced. It had an impact on me as what Ray said came into my mind.

I perceived the film as representing that most people like the idea of freedom but are not free at all and when they come by someone who is free, it threatens them deeply as they have to be confronted that they are not free and are imprisoned by the culture.

The film stars Henry Fonda who is the producer and Dennis Hopper who is the director also Jack Nicholson. The men did a fantastic job of this film and must have personally been heavily apart of the culture in the 60s to have such an insight and have fat side burns, are they blue blocking sunglasses?

Link to the interview where the quotes came from:

90.jpeg

Ableton

traveling on highways built with taxes, stopping at gas stations to get fuel, riding motorcycles with materials that have been scathered and processed all over the world to get shipped to america by other humans

nice "freedom"

more like following culturally established escapisms that have nothing to do with actual freedom

not a single thing in the world is a better metaphor for societies of control than state roads

GelatinGoblin

traveling on highways built with taxes, stopping at gas stations to get fuel, riding motorcycles with materials that have been scathered and processed all over the world to get shipped to america by other humans

nice "freedom"

more like following culturally established escapisms that have nothing to do with actual freedom

not a single thing in the world is a better metaphor for societies of control than state roads

People wouldn't really comprehend it if you'd tell them that in Russia you experience more freedom then in America.

"It was a culture total obedience to some mysterious standard of being " Ray Peat.

So delicious!

lvysaur

I perceived the film as representing that most people like the idea of freedom but are not free at all and when they come by someone who is free, it threatens them deeply as they have to be confronted that they are not free and are imprisoned by the culture.
I think it's the opposite. Some people enjoy authoritarianism. They simply do not want to be "free" (also they have no understanding that they are "not free"). If the threatening person is practicing "freedom" in a familiar culturally-approved or government-approved way, the authoritarian doesn't get offended.

There were also quite a few lynchings of Italians, Irish, etc. back in the day.

Last edited:

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
Because it's an utterly nonsensical lie.

In russia you can call a homosexual a f*ggot without consequences but you have to have identification on you at most times and policing is more heavy handed. It's such a different paradigm of society and control that I'm not sure how you would even begin to quantify how free you are in russia vs the us

As far as peat's experience, he sounds like every other pearl clutching northerner who goes to the south and has some delirious neurotic story about how everyone there wanted to kill them. Northerners have obnoxious delusions about the american south

postman

It's a bit puzzling how Ray could give his answer to the question at 38:07, and yet didn't understand why people were not welcoming to him in the south, instead opting to call everyone there insane. I really wish he would have gone more into those times his life was under threat, he didn't really say anything specific about it...

snacks

It's a bit puzzling how Ray could give his answer to the question at 38:07, and yet didn't understand why people were not welcoming to him in the south, instead opting to call everyone there insane. I really wish he would have gone more into those times his life was under threat, he didn't really say anything specific about it...

He talks about southerners like these pulp fiction villains that are only human by technicality. I don't think anything but his own nerves put him at risk of death lol

postman

He talks about southerners like these pulp fiction villains that are only human by technicality. I don't think anything but his own nerves put him at risk of death lol
Yeah at face value it really does sound quite ridculous, which is why I wish he would have gone more into detail. But I don't want to discount what he said because weird things can and do happen.

In russia you can call a homosexual a f*ggot without consequences but you have to have identification on you at most times and policing is more heavy handed. It's such a different paradigm of society and control that I'm not sure how you would even begin to quantify how free you are in russia vs the us

As far as peat's experience, he sounds like every other pearl clutching northerner who goes to the south and has some delirious neurotic story about how everyone there wanted to kill them. Northerners have obnoxious delusions about the american south
While insulting people is certainly part of free speech, I don't think bashing gays is the gold standard of liberty. Legally speaking you say the exact same thing in the USA. The concept of free speech doesn't even exist in Russia, there is no political freedom or religious freedom

snacks

Yeah at face value it really does sound quite ridculous, which is why I wish he would have gone more into detail. But I don't want to discount what he said because weird things can and do happen.

While insulting people is certainly part of free speech, I don't think bashing gays is the gold standard of liberty. Legally speaking you say the exact same thing in the USA. The concept of free speech doesn't even exist in Russia, there is no political freedom or religious freedom

There's no political freedom but our second largest party is marxist and our third is borderline fascist (I support the third btw, not an insult). Nothing like your monoparty in the US. There's no religious freedom but we have no restrictions on ANY non-protestant religion or its practice lol. If you're muslim you can practice more freely in Chechnya or Ingushetia than muslim-majority countries like Tajikstan which force males to shave their beards etc. At the very least we're freer in most ways than you are.

Re: gays my point was just that Russia doesn't have a parallel speech-policing in the form of cancel culture, though something like it exists depending on where you are

postman

There's no political freedom but our second largest party is marxist and our third is borderline fascist (I support the third btw, not an insult). Nothing like your monoparty in the US. There's no religious freedom but we have no restrictions on ANY non-protestant religion or its practice lol. If you're muslim you can practice more freely in Chechnya or Ingushetia than muslim-majority countries like Tajikstan which force males to shave their beards etc. At the very least we're freer in most ways than you are.

Re: gays my point was just that Russia doesn't have a parallel speech-policing in the form of cancel culture, though something like it exists depending on where you are
A plurality of psychotic political ideologies doesn't mean you're free. Dissidents and journalists constantly being arrested and disappeared proves that you have no political freedom. It also doesn't surprise me that your government is both philosemitic and islamophilic to such a degree that they have completelly different legal standards applied to them.

Russia is not freer than USA in any meaningful sense at all. The only thing you can claim to be freer on is that you have less social consequences for some statements, but it's meaningless, it's not that you don't have political correctness, it's just that your political correctness has different values.

snacks

A plurality of psychotic political ideologies doesn't mean you're free. Dissidents and journalists constantly being arrested and disappeared proves that you have no political freedom. It also doesn't surprise me that your government is both philosemitic and islamophilic to such a degree that they have completelly different legal standards applied to them.

Russia is not freer than USA in any meaningful sense at all. The only thing you can claim to be freer on is that you have less social consequences for some statements, but it's meaningless, it's not that you don't have political correctness, it's just that your political correctness has different values.

"Philosemitic, islamophilic" i'm sorry but this isn't 4chan, and if United Russia was "philosemitic" they wouldn't be doing things like making sure Solzhenitsyn is taught in schools. In Chechnya, Islam is privileged because its an Islamic autonomous republic. In Tuva, Buddhism is privileged because it's a vajrayana Buddhist place.. same in Kalmykia, etc. But in Kazan the government is trying to recognize a separate orthodox Tatar ethnicity to weaken the political stature of Muslim Kazanis and Islam in Russia is generally on the back foot regardless of what you're probably told. "Dissidents and journalists constantly being arrested and disappeared" as opposed to the US where subversive journalists openly conspire against your majority community. Not only that, but REAL dissidents disappear or die under mysterious circumstances all the time, most recently some CIA dude who was issuing warnings about China. You're even charging Assange, who has never been to the US, under US law lol so I'm not sure where you get off on that.

Besides Zhirinovsky who is frankly just trolling half the time I can't think of a single Russian politician who would qualify as "psychotic," as opposed to your neocon poliiticians who have advocated everything from total war against China to drone striking heads of state e.g. Assad

Anyways I've participated in at least one thread being thoroughly derailed by political nonsense today and I won't do that a second time

GelatinGoblin

Because it's an utterly nonsensical lie.
Yeah US shoved their modern concept of freedom down your throat and now you call being oppressed by money (education having to be repayed for years, paying when you are SICK not healthy), racism (Russia is the most diverse country in the world, yet everybody is RUSSIAN... Germans, Tatars, Greeks, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Christians, Eskimos (native Russian population in the East), Koreans, Japanese, Russians, Arabs, Chechens, Ukreanians, Belarusian, Baltic people... Where else... Also Africans now as students... And for your information Russia has the most immigrants in the world, and look they did it right, the immigrants are working and respect the country...), the same media (every news station says the same thing... This is not freedom of speech), the fear of being shot; freedom. In Russia you have more freedom of speech then in America. I am not trolling, Russophobia reaches deep into culture.

postman

"Philosemitic, islamophilic" i'm sorry but this isn't 4chan, and if United Russia was "philosemitic" they wouldn't be doing things like making sure Solzhenitsyn is taught in schools. In Chechnya, Islam is privileged because its an Islamic autonomous republic. In Tuva, Buddhism is privileged because it's a vajrayana Buddhist place.. same in Kalmykia, etc. But in Kazan the government is trying to recognize a separate orthodox Tatar ethnicity to weaken the political stature of Muslim Kazanis and Islam in Russia is generally on the back foot regardless of what you're probably told. "Dissidents and journalists constantly being arrested and disappeared" as opposed to the US where subversive journalists openly conspire against your majority community. Not only that, but REAL dissidents disappear or die under mysterious circumstances all the time, most recently some CIA dude who was issuing warnings about China. You're even charging Assange, who has never been to the US, under US law lol so I'm not sure where you get off on that.

Besides Zhirinovsky who is frankly just trolling half the time I can't think of a single Russian politician who would qualify as "psychotic," as opposed to your neocon poliiticians who have advocated everything from total war against China to drone striking heads of state e.g. Assad

Anyways I've participated in at least one thread being thoroughly derailed by political nonsense today and I won't do that a second time
There is no free speech in Russia. Dissident journalists get dissappeared, dissident politicians get murdered. It happens basically out in the open, nobody can threaten Putin and the power structure, probably as a way to scare dissidents. Russia and Putin are completely philosemitic, you can't even say that the Jews killed Christ even though that is exactly what the bible says, without being arrested. Christians have no rights other than to belong to the government church, you give more rights to jews and muslims, which is very telling, you still have the anti-russian anti-christian sentiment from the soviet times. Your country is largely run by mega-wealthy jewish-supremacist oligarchs. Also questioning the holocaust like you tangentally did in another thread is a crime in Russia.

Even if you think that also USA doesn't have any free speech, that doesn't mean that when Russia murders its journalists they have free speech? That's ridiculous. If that's the case then neither USA or Russia have free speech, so why are you calling Russia a free country???

Dissidents get killed in the US as well, but usually it's for whistleblowing or things like this, not just for dissenting. It's horrible nonetheless but there is certainly more free speech, and people don't get imprisoned just for stating their opinion, like in Europe and especially in Russia. The US has basically been hijacked by anti-american groups for a hundred years.

Yeah US shoved their modern concept of freedom down your throat and now you call being oppressed by money (education having to be repayed for years, paying when you are SICK not healthy), racism (Russia is the most diverse country in the world, yet everybody is RUSSIAN... Germans, Tatars, Greeks, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Christians, Eskimos (native Russian population in the East), Koreans, Japanese, Russians, Arabs, Chechens, Ukreanians, Belarusian, Baltic people... Where else... Also Africans now as students... And for your information Russia has the most immigrants in the world, and look they did it right, the immigrants are working and respect the country...), the same media (every news station says the same thing... This is not freedom of speech), the fear of being shot; freedom. In Russia you have more freedom of speech then in America. I am not trolling, Russophobia reaches deep into culture.
Your hatred of America and of liberty runs deep, and you're completely brainwashed with duginist propaganda. Yes USA is full of racism now, thanks to left-wing radicals spewing forth race-baiting social justice horseshit for the last 10 years or so, and the MSM doing all they can to inflame the situation as much as possible. Also duginist shills on the internet promoting racism and nazism and anti-white hatred to splinter the country, probably along with CIA traitors.

snacks

Like I said I have no further interest in our dumb friend but small pedantic correction here-- most of the asiatic peoples of east russia aren't eskimos of any kind except the Юиты and some extinct language groups. Eskimos aren't native to any but the smallest sliver of Siberia under any definition that wouldn't also make the Macro-Quechuans native haha. There's Chukotko-Kamchatkan peoples, who basically consist of mixes of their original representatives and Russians except the Itelmen iirc are wholly native and unconverted. There are some Ainu in Sakhalin and some Nivkh speakers as well, but Nivkh is iirc an isolate. Also the Yuka etc. who speak turkic languages and the Tungusic speakers and the Yenesei (who actually share a language family with some american indians)

Anyways I only say this because this is a favorite topic of mine, especially the interconnectedness of siberia historically Proof of a 2,000 kilometre polar trade route in volcanic glass dating back at least 8,000 years . Zhokhov island mentioned here is actually where the earliest evidence for domestication is unless something has changed. Some of the "Thule people" who constitute modern eskimos in america arrived at their current habitation after 1300 or 1400 ad and so aren't technically natives (having displaced the proto-eskimos) according to the UN definition. Interestingly Paleo-Eskimos share ancestry with almost every Na-Dene group Palaeo-Eskimo genetic ancestry and the peopling of Chukotka and North America | Nature . I would like to see evidence for linkages between the Siberian peoples I mentioned and modern eskimos, which seems possible since chinese bronze has been discovered in alaskan burial sites now.

The only other thing I'd mention with your comment is that Chechens generally don't regard themselves as "Russian" except for some of the younger ones and those who join the mil police and so on. They don't have a choice in the matter as well they shouldn't but they're an exceptional case. Also, Ukrainians and Belarusians become Russian within 2 generations most of the time, as they'll tend to marry Russians and then either self-identify that way or have children who do. White ethnicity in Russia is homogenizing this way.

Last edited:

bk_

You have more free speech in Russia? So you can criticize Putin or the powers that be with no risk of legal issues? There’s plenty of free press in Russia? I’m not sure then why when I look at Russian news there’s never any dirt on Putin and his party, can you point me to a Russian news based in Russia that criticizes the government and names of those in top power?

ken

another blog I follow has a member who is a professional touring musician. He is not complementary of touring in Russia. Basically one bribe after the next. Not exactly what we imagine as freedom. As for Peat's southern experience, the movie Deliverance has some elements that ring true.

GelatinGoblin

There is no free speech in Russia. Dissident journalists get dissappeared, dissident politicians get murdered. It happens basically out in the open, nobody can threaten Putin and the power structure, probably as a way to scare dissidents. Russia and Putin are completely philosemitic, you can't even say that the Jews killed Christ even though that is exactly what the bible says, without being arrested. Christians have no rights other than to belong to the government church, you give more rights to jews and muslims, which is very telling, you still have the anti-russian anti-christian sentiment from the soviet times. Your country is largely run by mega-wealthy jewish-supremacist oligarchs. Also questioning the holocaust like you tangentally did in another thread is a crime in Russia.

Even if you think that also USA doesn't have any free speech, that doesn't mean that when Russia murders its journalists they have free speech? That's ridiculous. If that's the case then neither USA or Russia have free speech, so why are you calling Russia a free country???

Dissidents get killed in the US as well, but usually it's for whistleblowing or things like this, not just for dissenting. It's horrible nonetheless but there is certainly more free speech, and people don't get imprisoned just for stating their opinion, like in Europe and especially in Russia. The US has basically been hijacked by anti-american groups for a hundred years.

Your hatred of America and of liberty runs deep, and you're completely brainwashed with duginist propaganda. Yes USA is full of racism now, thanks to left-wing radicals spewing forth race-baiting social justice horseshit for the last 10 years or so, and the MSM doing all they can to inflame the situation as much as possible. Also duginist shills on the internet promoting racism and nazism and anti-white hatred to splinter the country, probably along with CIA traitors.

Yes, I hate YOUR COUNTRY'S "liberty".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals