Ray Peat The Comedian

raypeatclips

Opening up the thread posted on Peatarian many years ago, showcasing the more light hearted and comedy quotes of Ray Peat. Feel free to post any others you've found.

Ray Peat The Comedian - Ray Peat Q&A

". . . Rather than showing that salt causes stomach cancer, the experiments showed that a cup or more of saturated salt solution, or several ounces of pure salt, shouldn't be ingested at the same time as a strong carcinogen."

"Carrageenan is recognized to be carcinogenic to the intestine and liver and to produce inflammation . . . The assumption is, I guess, that if it only irritates the intestine and causes cancer in the liver, then it is tolerable."

"A crocodile might experience the same sort of allergic reaction when eating estrogen-treated women and when eating commercial bananas."

"Spiders that build architecturally beautiful webs have been favorite subjects for theorizing about the instinctive mechanisms of behavior. When spiders were sent up on an orbiting satellite, they were in a situation that spiders had never experienced before. Spiders have always taken advantage of gravity for building their webs, and at first, the orbiting spiders made strange little muddled arrangements of filaments, but after just a few attempts, they were able to build exactly the same sort of elegant structures that spiders normally build. (My interpretation of that was that spiders may be more intelligent than most neurobiologists.)"

"In this medical environment, close associations between estrogen and degenerative diseases are acknowledged, but they are given a meaning contrary to common sense by saying that the association occurs because there isn't enough estrogen. The stove burns you because it isn't hot enough.
As Dave Barry would say, I'm not making this up. Recently well publicized articles have suggested that estrogen protects the brain (even against stroke!) because it increases serotonin and NO. There is something almost esthetically pleasing when so many major errors are concentrated into a single article."

Mary Enig wrote an article about Ray Peat and his opinions on the essential fatty acids, she said of him:
He is trained in hormone therapy and his training in fats and oils has been limited to misinformation as far as the polyunsaturated fats and oils are concerned.

He responded:
"1) If you could get her to expand on her remark "the Mead acid acts
as a "filler" fatty acid that cannot serve the functions that the
original EFA are needed for," I would be interested to know whether
she has something particular in mind.

2) Where did she learn about my training in misinformation--I never
list it on my resume.

3) I agree that people need more vitamin A and D than they usually
get, but I'm not confident of the safety of any of the common
sources."

"Colleges would probably be embarrassed to admit students on the basis of their temperature (though they commonly award scholarships on the basis of the ability to throw a ball)."

In reference to the Hayflick limit:
"The cells of the skin and bowel divide thousands of times in a normal lifetime, showing there is a kind of arrogant silliness in the claim that "human cells have a strictly limited capacity to divide" (I call this "dissproof by dandruff.")

"...a professor introduced me and said that he was fluent in Spanish. And that surprised me because I never thought of myself as being fluent in English, even."

"In a world run by corporation executives, university presidents ("football is central to the university's mission"), congressmen, bankers, oilmen, and agency bureaucrats, people with the intelligence of an ant (a warm ant) might seem outlandishly intelligent."

"Watson presented himself as a student of the famous Pavlov, and argued for an unconscious psychology, with the result that our culture has lost the meaning of the century's greatest work in psychology and brain physiology. (Sometimes I wonder whether J. B. Watson wasn't vacationing in Bermuda during the time he claimed to be studying with Pavlov.)"

On the causes of anxiety:
"Often it’s some simple thing, such as hypothyroidism. A chronic external stress (such as crocodiles or secret police) can lead to an internal change, such as thyroid failure."

haidut

Forum Supporter

Xisca

Or he might have secondary trauma after watching too many movies with croco just having their eyes above the water.
I do not watch movies any more...

Xisca

But what's on comercial bananas?
And thus in canarian cows, unless the washing is enough for removing estrogens like stuff!

Spokey

Lol, who experiences chronic stress in the form of crocodiles? Aussies, maybe?

I used to have regular nightmares about crocodiles. Bloody BBC and their damn high fidelity wildlife documentaries.

Travis

A crocodile might experience the same sort of allergic reaction when eating estrogen-treated women and when eating commercial bananas.

I saw a crocodile buying organic bananas at Trader Joe's

Travis

Wasn't sure anyone would catch that...

Sunny Jack

Ray has an understated way of saying things that I find very humorous.
In one of his interviews he talks about vegetarians' ethical concerns: "they don't like to bother their animal neighbors... by eating them..."

Travis

I got one. It's very subtle, like most Ray Peat jokes.
In Parkinson’s disease, the benefits seen from increasing the concentration of dopamine could result from dopamine’s antagonism to serotonin; anti-serotonin drugs can alleviate the symptoms, and 5-hydroxytryptophan can worsen the symptoms (Chase, et al., 1976). Other movement disorders, including akathisia and chorea, can be produced by serotonin. In autism, repetitive motions are a common symptom, and serotonin is high in the blood serum and platelets of autistic children and their relatives. Irritable bowel syndrome, another kind of “movement disorder,” can be treated effectively with anti-serotonin agents.
Serotonin, depression, and aggression: The problem of brain energy

I probably wouldn't have found it funny hadn't the article been so formally-toned.

Travis

Albert Szent-Györgyi the comedian—in the journal Science!:
Our first test animals were myotonic goats. Myotonia is a degenerative disease, the symptoms of which are the reverse of those of myasthenia. So, should an excess of a hormone cause myasthenia, then the lack of it might produce myotonia and the animals would react favorably to injections of the hormone. Unfortunately, this line of work had to be given up, because we worked in Woods Hole, in a marine biological laboratory, and the smell of the goats clearly indicated their nonmarine origin. Led by my theories on energy transduction, I isolated various substances which, eventually, all turned out to be red herrings.

Szent-Gyorgyi, Albert. "Cell division and cancer." Science 149.3679 (1965): 34-37.

DaveFoster

I got one. It's very subtle, like most Ray Peat jokes.

Serotonin, depression, and aggression: The problem of brain energy

I probably wouldn't have found it funny hadn't the article been so formally-toned.
Wow, that's the most subtle humor I've ever seen. It's neither corny, nor funny, but definitely clever.

[Is there ever a time that one would WANT TO DECREASE THE METABOLIC RATE?]

"When marooned without food, waiting for rescue."
Truly, that's his most underrated quote, and I think about it at least once every week. It emphasizes his distaste for the idea of some level of "essential inflammation," similar to the idea of "essential fatty acids," or an admission that all opinions have an equal weighting of truth.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals