Ray Peat The Comedian

Jason_I

Hahaha, these are great. And as a former Aussie that croc one cracks me up.

DaveFoster

The official definition of insanity in criminal law is “the inability to tell right from wrong.” Obviously, that can’t be generalized to everyday life, because any sane person realizes that certainty is impossible, and that most situations, including elections, offer you at best the choice of “the lesser of two evils,” or the opportunity to “do the right thing,” and to “throw your vote away.”

Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

tara

"The belief in subatmospheric interstitial pressure is unreasonable on its face, and measurements are so inaccurate in the microcirculation that its disproof would be somewhat like proving that fairies aren’t responsible for the Brownian motions seen under a microscope."
New Page Title Here

Hans

Forum Supporter
Several famous molecular biologists have been writing and
lecturing about their idea that everything in our behavior and
culture (including art, politics, and language) is specifically
programmed by genes. (It would seem that I performed ge-
netic surgery on one of these people, or caused him to mutate,
when I pointed out some glaring errors in his argument, and
saw that he subsequently changed his claims.)

boris

“A few years ago a group of researchers in Scotland studying learning in apes did some experiments (involving opening boxes to get a piece of candy inside) that showed that chimpanzees learn in a variety of “flexibly adaptive” ways, and that 3 year old children being presented with a similar task most often did it in ways that appear to be less intelligent than the apes. They “suggest that the difference in performance of chimpanzees and children may be due to a greater susceptibility of children to cultural conventions.
Scientific and medical practices often follow the authority of culture and indoctrination, instead of intelligently confronting the meaning of the evidence, the way chimpanzees are able to do.”

RealNeat

I really enjoyed Rays sarcasm for this Q on ORN.

Patrick T: 82?! You're in good health?

RP: yeah, i haven't been to a doctor so i don't really know. 50 years without seeing one.

-------------------------------------------

Jodelle F: Favorite animal?

RP: Oh, um.. ants i think. They are intelligent. Bees and wasps are equally as intelligent, but they tend to outsmart me and I can deal with ants and reason with them.

Vileplume

Just caught another Peat Pun from his November 2020 newsletter, "Body temperature, inflammation, and aging":

Talking about the mistaken rate-of-living theory, which poses that the more energetically you live, the sooner you die--

"This idea resonated through the science culture as well as the popular culture for decades, and in 1956 Denham Harman’s theory that free radicals produced by mitochondrial respiration were the cause of aging was just what the “rate of aging hypothesis” needed for another 50 years of acceptance. In the last 20 years, an abundance of data has accumulated showing that the theory is radically mistaken."

I wonder if he chuckled to himself as he wrote that.

Peachy

Jodelle F: Favorite animal?

RP: Oh, um.. ants i think. They are intelligent. Bees and wasps are equally as intelligent, but they tend to outsmart me and I can deal with ants and reason with them.
This is so funny and relatable 😅