"Spiders may be more intelligent than most neurobiologists."

narouz

Spiders that build architecturally beautiful webs have been favorite subjects for theorizing about the instinctive mechanisms of behavior. When spiders were sent up on an orbiting satellite, they were in a situation that spiders had never experienced before. Spiders have always taken advantage of gravity for building their webs, and at first, the orbiting spiders made strange little muddled arrangements of filaments, but after just a few attempts, they were able to build exactly the same sort of elegant structures that spiders normally build. (My interpretation of that was that spiders may be more intelligent than most neurobiologists.)

Nesting birds often swoop at people or animals who get too close to their nest. Early last summer, I had noticed some blue jays that seemed to be acting defensive whenever I went into one part of the yard. On a very hot day at the end of summer, a couple of plump jays were squawking and apparently trying to get my attention while I was watering the front yard, and I idly wondered why they would be acting that way so late in the year. I had gone around the house to water things in the back yard, and the birds came over the house, and were still squawking, and trying to get my attention. I realized that their excitement didn't have anything to do with their nest, and looking more carefully, I saw that they were young birds. As it dawned on me that they were interested in the water squirting out of the hose, I aimed the stream up towards them, and they got as close to it as they could. Since the force of the stream might have hurt them, I put on a nozzle that made a finer spray, and the birds immediately came down to the lowest tip of the branch, where they could get the full force of the mist, holding out their wings, and leaning into the spray so that it ruffled their breast feathers. Their persistence had finally paid off when they got me to understand what they wanted, and they were enjoying the cool water. As new young birds, I don't know how they understood hoses and squirting water, but it was clear that they recognized me as a potentially intelligent being with whom they could communicate.
-Dr. Ray Peat in Intuitive Knowledge and Its Development
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/intuitive-knowledge.shtml

mandance

Re: "Spiders may be more intelligent than most neurobiologis

I love this! I have always been so fascinated with spiders ever since I was a kid. I used to own many of them as well. Truly amazing creatures. Its a shame so little is known about them, I guess there isnt much in the way of funding for arachnologists.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
haidut Spiders Use Electricity To Fly Scientific Studies 54
Diokine LLLT may treat or prevent COVID-19 induced endothelial dysfunction Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 0
R May need higher dose of glycine (10g)? Amino Acids 0
R BCAAs, commonly taken for muscle growth, may decrease muscle growth! Scientific Studies 5
Jam Mortality From Coronavirus Disease 2019 Increases With Unsaturated Fat and May Be Reduced by Early Calcium and Albumin Supplementation Miscellaneous Health Discussions 3
yerrag Just Learned From Experience Bicarbonate Intake Isn't the Real Solution, May Even Cause Problems Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 20
md_a COVID-19 spike proteins may cause neurological issues Scientific Studies 1
H What can be consumed that may mitigate mRNA vaccines from working? Vaccines 13
bzmazu Is COVID19 a New Type of Bio-Energetic Disease State? We May Find Out the Hard Way March 2021. Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 6
haidut Niacinamide may treat ALS by improving energetic state Scientific Studies 0
haidut Niacinamide may treat depression by improving energetic state Scientific Studies 8
haidut Sexual activity and stress levels (HPA activity) may determine longevity Scientific Studies 12
haidut Fasting ups estrogen & cortisol, decimates vitamin D, may cause diabetes Scientific Studies 11
haidut Serotonin may cause schizophrenia, Parkinson, and Alzheimer diseases Scientific Studies 2
haidut Low energy production (glucose metabolism) may cause andropause Scientific Studies 0
Lokzo Elevated Serum Estradiol Levels May Impair Erectile Function Scientific Studies 2
Mito Covid-19 Vaccines May Have Potentially Unpleasant Side Effects Miscellaneous Health Discussions 27
haidut People Who Refuse The COVID-19 Vaccine May Be Banned Socially Articles & Scientific Studies 158
haidut Estrogen May Be The Cause Of "estrogen-negative" Breast Cancer Scientific Studies 0
haidut Intermittent Fasting (IF) Ineffective And May Even Be Dangerous Scientific Studies 0
haidut Blocking Cortisol May Treat Even Terminal Cancers Scientific Studies 9
F CDC Weekly Updates - Comorbidities (May 28, 2020) Scientific Studies 0
Quelsatron Sweden May Make Preschool Obligatory From The Age Of Two Breaking News 0
Tarmander DARPA Says EMF May Be Causing A Trend Of Military Aircraft Accidents Articles & Newsletters 9
haidut Aromatase Inhibitor (AI) + DHT Combo May Reverse Kidney Disease (CKD) Scientific Studies 2
haidut Activation Of The Endotoxin Receptor (TLR4) May Cause Hearing Loss Scientific Studies 9
haidut The Case For Water Fluoridation May Be Nothing But A Corporate Plot Scientific Studies 9
haidut Parkinson Disease (PD) May Begin In The Gut Scientific Studies 0
haidut The Social Fabric In Western Countries May Be Unraveling Scientific Studies 126
haidut Simply Inhaling Endotoxin (LPS) May Cause Parkinson Disease (PD) Scientific Studies 2
S Weight Gain May Not Be A Bad Thing Weight 78
R Dandelion Root May Be Androgenic (Studies) Thyroid and Hormones 9
haidut Low Metabolism, Cellular Debris May Cause Huntington Disease (HD) Scientific Studies 0
haidut Doxycycline Akin To Meldonium / Mildronate, May Cure Triple-negative Breast Cancer Scientific Studies 0
haidut Pregnenolone (P5) May Be Ergogenic And Helps Recovery From Exercise Scientific Studies 0
Drareg Sedation To Manage 'lockdown Distress' May Have Led To Dementia Deaths Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 0
haidut Niacinamide (vitamin B3) May Cure HIV (human Study) Scientific Studies 9
haidut Vitamin B3 May Treat "incurable" Muscle Disease Scientific Studies 9
haidut Statins May Cause Insulin Resistance By Depleting Vitamin K Scientific Studies 1
haidut Cardiolipin Supplementation May Reverse Signs Of Aging Scientific Studies 1
haidut Reducing Stress May Reverse Greying Of Hair Scientific Studies 3
haidut Estrogen, Not Androgens, May Be The Cause Of Baldness Scientific Studies 157
haidut Anti-histamines May Prevent, Treat Melanoma Scientific Studies 3
haidut Mad Cow Disease May Be A Mitochondrial/metabolic Issue Scientific Studies 2
haidut Blocking Serotonin May Treat Allergies And Inflammatory Diseases Scientific Studies 6
haidut Raising NAD Levels May Be Therapeutic For COVID-19 Scientific Studies 8
haidut "Anti-aging" Hormone (hGH) May Actually Shorten Life Scientific Studies 3
md_a Ray Peat's Newsletter - This Novel Flu Season - May 2020 Articles & Newsletters 66
Lorof Did Anybody Get The May 2020 Newsletter? Articles & Newsletters 4
L Ray Peat Interview May 29, 2020 - Danny Roddy, Ray Peat, Georgi Dinkov Interviews 15