Cultural Relativism And The Freedom Of Choice

Integra

Since this is my first post, I want to just quickly say hello first. I'm very interested in the mind-body connection; more specifically, how the mind affects the body. By this I am not implying that the two are separate physically or functionally; I see the mind as of the body and that the two imply each other. If we think about health and disease as psychosomatic states on a spectrum, I'd like to understand how I can mindfully (as in, with the mind) support the recovery of physical health.

With that said, I hope that some of the things I write here will be useful to other members of the forum and maybe start new conversations. I am writing in part to try to understand things I am writing about and I would greatly appreciate new perspectives. Please feel free to challenge, expand, or tattoo on your forearm anything I write. Perhaps not the last one, 'cause the things we learn change. :) I tried my best to separate my own opinions from quotes or paraphrases and my interpretations of other people's ideas, but if I conflate some of those I'd be happy to clarify.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On the limits of culture

Almost at the very beginning of the text, Ray Peat presents one definition that, for all its simplicity and apparent obviousness, made me reflect on and reconsider how I relate to the idea, functions, and limits of culture. In his article on academic authoritarians, language, metaphor, animals & science, Peat matter-of-factly defines culture as “the perceived limits of possibility.” Not only does it limit our possibilities, but he adds that culture may “make us stupid long before the metabolic problems appear.”

In an attempt to expand this discussion, I would like to add another definition of culture. The definition I will be focusing on is in line with the works of Wilhelm Reich, Alexander Lowen, and Carl Rogers, people whose works I’ve been studying because I’m fascinated with alternative theories on the relationship between the mind and the body, or the relationship between our psychological and physiological functions. Influenced by the people I mentioned, my working definition of culture would be that it is a set of hierarchically organized values and accepted modes of behavior. These values and behaviors are transferred from one generation to another with the goal to regulate an individual’s fulfillment of biological and psychological needs and expenditure of energy so that both are in line with the established social order. On a biological level, this might translate to Peat’s idea that “Our brain grows into our culture, and the culture lives in our nervous system.”

This definition sounds a bit circular mostly because (under certain social and economic conditions) it can form a closed loop, and in fact I suspect many cultures self-reproduce in this way and remain fairly static over long periods of time. This changes once, I believe, contextual factors such as private property and the recognition of individualism emerge, developing a culture which consists of freely acting individuals that have a sense of personal agency or what some philosophers refer to as the free will to self-determine, and consequently make subsequent changes to that culture. But because the topic is the limits of culture, let us use an example that demonstrates a psychological mechanism that keeps a culture static and limiting to individual freedom.

As many of us unfortunately know, some people and maybe entire cultures practice physical punishment as an acceptable form of child-rearing practices. Even with the growing body of empirical evidence on the negative impact of traumatic early life experiences such as physical abuse on children’s psychological development, there are people who find this behavior acceptable, justified, and a good solution. I have recently had a conversation with a person who, upon reflecting on the idea of physical punishment of children, shrugged his shoulders and offered that it was good for social cohesion. I will withdraw my comments and simply tell what happened next.

At first, I allowed for the possibility that this was in part said to lighten up the atmosphere of an otherwise casual conversation, which in all fairness it was up to that point, but soon, the person continued with elaborate examples from another culture with the goal to point out how child beating is a culturally dependent practice and in turn, I believe, to imply that as such, we should leave it be—since interventionism would be patronizing towards the culture, as opposed to respectfully allowing that culture to self-regulate in its own ways. The rest of the conversation continued in a series of exchanges in which other people present maintained what I saw as a self-congratulatory tone for their open-mindedness and cultural sensitivity. Because it is only fair that I don’t remove myself from the story, I was, among other things, sitting there wondering whether the person who made this initial statement was ever beaten as a child.

If this person was in fact subject to physical punishment in childhood, our open-minded and culturally permissive fan of social cohesion would be a good example of how an individual is perpetuating the same cultural cycle (in this instance, that of violent behavior) because he or she is not willing to problematize aspects of one’s own or another culture or, more personally, aspects of one’s personal upbringing. To add to this level of difficulty, if physical punishment is the given culture’s answer to shaping a child’s behavior, an act of free will would require a dose of creativity for finding an alternative solution to the problem, and I doubt that people like the person I mentioned, who I consider to have been conditioned into an authoritarian culture and accepted its tenets as a given, would have enough energy, both metabolic and symbolic, to run against the currents of that same culture. These people’s energy is largely spent on submitting to principles that are not one’s own, performing various social roles as an energy-sapping substitute to being rooted in pleasure as an authentic self, instead investing efforts in advancing one’s image, endlessly repeating personally meaningless social rituals, etc.

This is a good place to consider the usefulness of social norms and external authority on the regulation of an individual’s behavior. I’ve never thought of laws as an effective preventive measure and I suspect that developing societal norms that, following our example, would be against hitting children simply because it’s not ‘proper’ would also have little effect. Perhaps my experience living in a society that in many ways rejects the individual as a social unit is hardly unique*, but if we add to that collection of factors a dysfunctional family, economic problems, and some rigid gender norms that dictate and regulate down to the most mundane aspects of an individual life from clothing, professional choices, family size, daily responsibilities, appropriate interests and even what food one is supposed to eat and when, I guess that my questions are:

1. Can a person be considered psychologically free if there is no constitution that says so and lives in a culture that systematically rejects that on many levels, some of which I previously described?
  2. If, as Ray Peat offers, individuality consists of the choices we make, how is one’s individuality created or shaped when the choices available are extremely limited by contextual (cultural) factors?
  3. Where does the sense of real individuality and personal agency come from if one has not experienced anything else but the restrictive rules and norms that most members of society have accepted as a given?
  4. Are individuality and free will valid concepts for people making choices when they are not the conscious owners of their thoughts, feelings, and actions?

The questions I ask above may seem rhetorical and to a certain degree they are suggestive, but I am truly looking for answer and different opinions on this topic. I know I’ve only touched the limits or negative sides of a culture, but it would be interesting to think a bit more about the (potential) benefits culture has as a source of potential for creativity, or an expansion of the self different cultures can offer.

* The authoritarian society I grew up in did its best job to convince me man was inherently a selfish, evil animal, and that the society’s rules and norms are there to help us from self-destructing ourselves. In school, people from my background were taught a deterministic view of life (one of the biggest lessons in biology was limited cell division, the progressive entropy of all natural systems, the mechanistic view of the universe, and of course, Darwinism with a bit of a Nazi twist on it); in sociology, we regurgitated Thomas Hobbes’s bleak view of mankind, were taught that capitalism was evil and almost by definition exploitative, and so on…

jaguar43

Since this is my first post, I want to just quickly say hello first. I'm very interested in the mind-body connection; more specifically, how the mind affects the body. By this I am not implying that the two are separate physically or functionally; I see the mind as of the body and that the two imply each other. If we think about health and disease as psychosomatic states on a spectrum, I'd like to understand how I can mindfully (as in, with the mind) support the recovery of physical health.

With that said, I hope that some of the things I write here will be useful to other members of the forum and maybe start new conversations. I am writing in part to try to understand things I am writing about and I would greatly appreciate new perspectives. Please feel free to challenge, expand, or tattoo on your forearm anything I write. Perhaps not the last one, 'cause the things we learn change. :) I tried my best to separate my own opinions from quotes or paraphrases and my interpretations of other people's ideas, but if I conflate some of those I'd be happy to clarify.

On the limits of culture

Almost at the very beginning of the text, Ray Peat presents one definition that, for all its simplicity and apparent obviousness, made me reflect on and reconsider how I relate to the idea, functions, and limits of culture. In his article on academic authoritarians, language, metaphor, animals & science, Peat matter-of-factly defines culture as “the perceived limits of possibility.” Not only does it limit our possibilities, but he adds that culture may “make us stupid long before the metabolic problems appear.”

In an attempt to expand this discussion, I would like to add another definition of culture. The definition I will be focusing on is in line with the works of Wilhelm Reich, Alexander Lowen, and Carl Rogers, people whose works I’ve been studying because I’m fascinated with alternative theories on the relationship between the mind and the body, or the relationship between our psychological and physiological functions. Influenced by the people I mentioned, my working definition of culture would be that it is a set of hierarchically organized values and accepted modes of behavior. These values and behaviors are transferred from one generation to another with the goal to regulate an individual’s fulfillment of biological and psychological needs and expenditure of energy so that both are in line with the established social order. On a biological level, this might translate to Peat’s idea that “Our brain grows into our culture, and the culture lives in our nervous system.”

This definition sounds a bit circular mostly because (under certain social and economic conditions) it can form a closed loop, and in fact I suspect many cultures self-reproduce in this way and remain fairly static over long periods of time. This changes once, I believe, contextual factors such as private property and the recognition of individualism emerge, developing a culture which consists of freely acting individuals that have a sense of personal agency or what some philosophers refer to as the free will to self-determine, and consequently make subsequent changes to that culture. But because the topic is the limits of culture, let us use an example that demonstrates a psychological mechanism that keeps a culture static and limiting to individual freedom.

As many of us unfortunately know, some people and maybe entire cultures practice physical punishment as an acceptable form of child-rearing practices. Even with the growing body of empirical evidence on the negative impact of traumatic early life experiences such as physical abuse on children’s psychological development, there are people who find this behavior acceptable, justified, and a good solution. I have recently had a conversation with a person who, upon reflecting on the idea of physical punishment of children, shrugged his shoulders and offered that it was good for social cohesion. I will withdraw my comments and simply tell what happened next.

At first, I allowed for the possibility that this was in part said to lighten up the atmosphere of an otherwise casual conversation, which in all fairness it was up to that point, but soon, the person continued with elaborate examples from another culture with the goal to point out how child beating is a culturally dependent practice and in turn, I believe, to imply that as such, we should leave it be—since interventionism would be patronizing towards the culture, as opposed to respectfully allowing that culture to self-regulate in its own ways. The rest of the conversation continued in a series of exchanges in which other people present maintained what I saw as a self-congratulatory tone for their open-mindedness and cultural sensitivity. Because it is only fair that I don’t remove myself from the story, I was, among other things, sitting there wondering whether the person who made this initial statement was ever beaten as a child.

If this person was in fact subject to physical punishment in childhood, our open-minded and culturally permissive fan of social cohesion would be a good example of how an individual is perpetuating the same cultural cycle (in this instance, that of violent behavior) because he or she is not willing to problematize aspects of one’s own or another culture or, more personally, aspects of one’s personal upbringing. To add to this level of difficulty, if physical punishment is the given culture’s answer to shaping a child’s behavior, an act of free will would require a dose of creativity for finding an alternative solution to the problem, and I doubt that people like the person I mentioned, who I consider to have been conditioned into an authoritarian culture and accepted its tenets as a given, would have enough energy, both metabolic and symbolic, to run against the currents of that same culture. These people’s energy is largely spent on submitting to principles that are not one’s own, performing various social roles as an energy-sapping substitute to being rooted in pleasure as an authentic self, instead investing efforts in advancing one’s image, endlessly repeating personally meaningless social rituals, etc.

This is a good place to consider the usefulness of social norms and external authority on the regulation of an individual’s behavior. I’ve never thought of laws as an effective preventive measure and I suspect that developing societal norms that, following our example, would be against hitting children simply because it’s not ‘proper’ would also have little effect. Perhaps my experience living in a society that in many ways rejects the individual as a social unit is hardly unique*, but if we add to that collection of factors a dysfunctional family, economic problems, and some rigid gender norms that dictate and regulate down to the most mundane aspects of an individual life from clothing, professional choices, family size, daily responsibilities, appropriate interests and even what food one is supposed to eat and when, I guess that my questions are:

1. Can a person be considered psychologically free if there is no constitution that says so and lives in a culture that systematically rejects that on many levels, some of which I previously described?
  2. If, as Ray Peat offers, individuality consists of the choices we make, how is one’s individuality created or shaped when the choices available are extremely limited by contextual (cultural) factors?
  3. Where does the sense of real individuality and personal agency come from if one has not experienced anything else but the restrictive rules and norms that most members of society have accepted as a given?
  4. Are individuality and free will valid concepts for people making choices when they are not the conscious owners of their thoughts, feelings, and actions?

The questions I ask above may seem rhetorical and to a certain degree they are suggestive, but I am truly looking for answer and different opinions on this topic. I know I’ve only touched the limits or negative sides of a culture, but it would be interesting to think a bit more about the (potential) benefits culture has as a source of potential for creativity, or an expansion of the self different cultures can offer.

* The authoritarian society I grew up in did its best job to convince me man was inherently a selfish, evil animal, and that the society’s rules and norms are there to help us from self-destructing ourselves. In school, people from my background were taught a deterministic view of life (one of the biggest lessons in biology was limited cell division, the progressive entropy of all natural systems, the mechanistic view of the universe, and of course, Darwinism with a bit of a Nazi twist on it); in sociology, we regurgitated Thomas Hobbes’s bleak view of mankind, were taught that capitalism was evil and almost by definition exploitative, and so on…

I think you have misunderstood Ray Peat. When he speaks about individuality, he is isn't referring to the cultural individualism. He is referring to how our biological development is shape by our environment. The way you arrange your questions implies that he was referring to those things on a culture basis. I will still try to answer the questions.

1) Depends on your definition of freedom.
2) In what way are choices limited by cultural factors ? You can choose the way to eat, select specific activities, and other health conscious choices.
I still don't think you understood Ray Peat in that specific quote.
3) From experience.
4)I don't believe Consciousness can be "owned" in the way your describing it.

I don't think it's useful to use the word authoritarian for everything we don't agree with. Because that in it-self becomes authoritarian. It's better to try to understand why certain things happen.

Makrosky

Hi,

Two of the three psychologists from which you base your theories were from the psychoanalytic branch. And they all come from Freud theories about culture, specifically his essay "Civilization and its discontents". Your text and the theories from Reich and Lowen (IMHO, the latter is just a very poor imitation of the former) assume the kind of view that Freud started.

I don't know if you are refering to "culture" in an antropological view or "culture" as in western culture based on judeo-christian/greek-roman roots. It's two different things.

To make it very short : I think viewing "culture" as something aside, parallel or "on top of" an individual is an irreal idea. There's no such thing as an "individual" outside the culture. The human being is culture. It can't exist isolated from it. We are culture even before the homo sapiens. It's an artificial idea to explain a theory. Ones theories about the world and how "culture" works is culture itself. You can't escape culture because there's no such thing as "no culture".

Of course there are different cultures, the western one being more anti pleasure, hierarchized and against the body (as Reich pointed) than others.

The questions you ask can be applied to every single culture in history.

That's how I see it.

Drareg

The origins of the word are individuality comes from the word indivisible,inseparable, you might then ask can you be free from others influence?

Culture is a collection of thoughts/perceptions, you would guess new perception can create new culture.
A person from a poor culture,or family background can do this by many different means, many do ergot derivatives, travel,Internet etc.
I don't think it's that hard to break free of your immediate culture with Internet it makes it even easier , you will still be participating in a culture though.

Even getting close to Free will would require a enormous amount of energy and focus/concentration, you would have to first find what is coherent reality and flow with it all the while being conscious of your past trying to influence your present decisions.
What interesting here is ergot derivatives and psylocibin have been shown to focus people on the present and future according to a study posted on here.
This potentially takes the past out of the equation, you could argue that some of your past will have coherent aspects thrown in from the culture,all of it might not be wrong, the ergots/psilocybin may allow for this.
You would need time to work these things out particularly when you are in a poor environment but if rigidly controlled like North Korea it becomes more difficult than someone in USA.

Peat mentions somewhere about the brain being like a battery, the more coherent charge, the more concepts it can store and access at one time, something along those lines...

Free will as in freedom to act to a situation in front of you but many of the situations you don't have to r

OP
Integra

Integra

Hi @jag2594 and thanks for your answer. According to what you say about individuality as "how our biological development is shaped by our environment," I think we are on the same page as to its definition. I do imply that these things happen on a cultural basis, if I can echo your words a bit. What I mean by this is that, let's say a 'culture' or some kind of an authority respected by all members of a social group says that salt is bad is for your health no matter what, and then all members of a culture start avoiding salt and say develop hypothyroid symptoms, and the lack of salt eating becomes an entrenched cultural practice that all of its members now become hypothyroid and being hypothyroid grows to be the norm and as a result, all members of the culture never problematize being hypothyroid as they never experienced anything else, nor do their friends/relatives/etc. look and feel different from them. I hope you get how I see the relationship between the culture (environment) and the individual.

In my first question I ask whether a person can be psychologically free if one's freedom is rejected systematically, and by freedom I mean free will.

I think your answer to the second question I posed (both quoted below for refreshing memory) goes straight to the point, actually.

Question: If, as Ray Peat offers, individuality consists of the choices we make, how is one’s individuality created or shaped when the choices available are extremely limited by contextual (cultural) factors?

Answer: In what way are choices limited by cultural factors ? You can choose the way to eat, select specific activities, and other health conscious choices.
I still don't think you understood Ray Peat in that specific quote.​

To give an example of limiting cultural factors, let's say lack of access to education/information, low income, strident gender and social norms, etc.

Thanks for your concluding remark on the notion of authoritarianism. I'll make sure not to use the word in the way you indicated, even though I'm not quite sure where I refer to authoritarianism in the way you suggested.

OP
Integra

Integra

Hi @Makrosky,

I'll be sure to read that essay by Freud! I wanted to ask you another question about the works of Lowen--do you think Lowen is only imitating Reich? I've been getting into his work lately and thought that he made some interesting connections, but maybe I need to read more of Reich for that. Without being entirely clear on what view by Freud you're referring to, I can see how I've been reducing everything to their ideas in my thinking, the way that everything becomes a nail once you hold a hammer. Do you have any reading recommendations that would be the opposite to or (in your opinion appropriately) critical of Lowen and Reich?

As for my definition of culture, the only one I have to provide is the one I gave in the text as the set of transmitted practices (the full one is in the original post). I wouldn't know the difference between the anthropological and christian/greek-roman view. That would be my second question!

Finally, I really like your thoughts on culture as the individual itself. I understand that it is an artificial concept, a somewhat arbitrarily isolated aspect of reality.

OP
Integra

Integra

Hi @Drareg,

I really wish your post wasn't cut off. You mention the word 'coherent' a lot in your answer (e.g. you talk coherent past, brain coherence). Coherent in what ways? What do you mean by this? I am not asking about the basic meaning of the word, but perhaps for your interpretation or a theory/concept/body of work that points to it. It's really interesting. For some reason, I am thinking about Wu Wei in Taoism. Just throwing that association out there. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Drareg

Hi @Drareg,

I really wish your post wasn't cut off. You mention the word 'coherent' a lot in your answer (e.g. you talk coherent past, brain coherence). Coherent in what ways? What do you mean by this? I am not asking about the basic meaning of the word, but perhaps for your interpretation or a theory/concept/body of work that points to it. It's really interesting. For some reason, I am thinking about Wu Wei in Taoism. Just throwing that association out there. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

I think the last word was react.

Coherent I'm guessing is getting biology close to the underlying motion in everything, the motion goes with the Fibonacci or Lucas numbers,phi, it scales up and down but ultimately all started with a similar scale.
Peat mentions a whirlpool of energy flowing through the cells, the cells I suspect will be found to be a dynamic torus structure,torus is Fibonacci ,whirlpools follow Fibonacci.
You could then argue that the closer you get energy flowing through your cells to Fibonacci you potentially access and know all?
Electric current vital in all of this, Peat speculated that lsd may correct electric current in this way.

Great music potentially gets close to accessing this,great music follows Fibonacci , I'm sure with time vision may show the eye only picks up motion with this, we already know we find it pleasing to the eye.
Fugues is music seem to have this also.

The Tao and many other perennial traditions try to get you to this understanding of reality,an elevated consciousness of sorts by practicing good behaviour, the cognitive behaviour therapy can do this to your biology but not ,as Peat wisely put it,if somebody is hypothyroid for poor social status, they don't have the brain charge/energy to hold complex topics.
Their is a touch of hubris in Plato and many others who potentially used ergot derivatives to access their insights yet none of them suspected biology, you are what you eat, what you eat structures you, if you have poor structure life will not flow coherently, they were eating ergot fungus and psycilocibin via mushrooms was used for similar insights. Their use of these substances was kept quiet for some reason, possibly because they would have been beat down upon by the authorities at the time.

One gentleman however sees it clear,Ray Peat.

jaguar43

Hi @jag2594 and thanks for your answer. According to what you say about individuality as "how our biological development is shaped by our environment," I think we are on the same page as to its definition. I do imply that these things happen on a cultural basis, if I can echo your words a bit. What I mean by this is that, let's say a 'culture' or some kind of an authority respected by all members of a social group says that salt is bad is for your health no matter what, and then all members of a culture start avoiding salt and say develop hypothyroid symptoms, and the lack of salt eating becomes an entrenched cultural practice that all of its members now become hypothyroid and being hypothyroid grows to be the norm and as a result, all members of the culture never problematize being hypothyroid as they never experienced anything else, nor do their friends/relatives/etc. look and feel different from them. I hope you get how I see the relationship between the culture (environment) and the individual.

Got it

In my first question I ask whether a person can be psychologically free if one's freedom is rejected systematically, and by freedom I mean free will.

I think your answer to the second question I posed (both quoted below for refreshing memory) goes straight to the point, actually.

Question: If, as Ray Peat offers, individuality consists of the choices we make, how is one’s individuality created or shaped when the choices available are extremely limited by contextual (cultural) factors?

Answer: In what way are choices limited by cultural factors ? You can choose the way to eat, select specific activities, and other health conscious choices.
I still don't think you understood Ray Peat in that specific quote.​

To give an example of limiting cultural factors, let's say lack of access to education/information, low income, strident gender and social norms, etc.

Thanks for rearranging your statement. Yes I think the limiting cultural factors that you posted can intervene with peoples ability to develop their individuality. But I also think that people can transcend certain limiting factors with experiences along with social and historical events. Their may be political or economic influences that inhibit people from developing as well. You mention before that if a whole society grows up believing salt is horrible, than that ideology sticks with them and future generations. However having an experience of eating salt and feeling better, or seeing that salt in a different light from different opinion may turn the tide. It's important to remember that things change. And though people may be dogmatic about certain ideas, possibilities of change are always present.

Thanks for your concluding remark on the notion of authoritarianism. I'll make sure not to use the word in the way you indicated, even though I'm not quite sure where I refer to authoritarianism in the way you suggested.

I just think it's important to be conscious of the fact that though some people may disagree with our views. It doesn't necessarily imply that they are authoritarian, which include culture as well. ( Not trying to say that using corporal punishment isn't authoritarian, because it is. Hopefully you get the picture)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals