PUFA required for periodontal disease, aspirin may help

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is common knowledge even among mainstream dentists that periodontal disease is caused by bacteria accumulating under the gums, which over time leads to chronic inflammation and thus destruction of both gum tissue and the alveolar/jaw bone underneath the gums. Another "new" discover is that microbiome overgrowth (and thus endotoxin/LPS production) is also involved and that bacteria can "translocate" from the gut into the gums, thus mimicking in the oral cavity the inflammatory conditions the same bacteria causes in the gut. However, the exact mechanism of this inflammatory cascade remains unknown and this lack of "smoking gun" has allowed the corrupt public health officials to advise against the administration of antibiotics for treating periodontal disease. Well, hopefully the study below will finally provide that missing smoking gun. It identifies the highly inflammatory PUFA metabolites known as prostaglandins as the direct cause of bone resorption in the jaw, and thus suggests that either dietary PUFA restriction or using simple prostaglandin synthesis inhibitors such as aspirin may be viable methods to both prevent and treat periodontal disease. These interventions avoid the touchy (and overblown) issue of antibiotic resistance, which is another major trick mainstream medicine and the pharma industry use to avoid allowing cheap, safe antibiotics as curative treatment of this condition. Interestingly enough, the study also dispels the myth that only Gram-negative bacteria are involved in periodontal disease. While such bacteria are the main sources of endotoxin, the study found that Gram-positive bacteria can also cause periodontal disease (without the involvement of endotoxin/LPS) simply by increasing inflammation through prostaglandins. This suggests that PUFA is a more fundamental cause of periodontal disease than bacteria and endotoxin are, which suggests that a combination of antibiotics and aspirin may be even more effective than either treatment by itself.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-92744-5
Multiple bacteria types found to contribute to bone loss in gum disease

"...In a previous study, the researchers injected lipopolysaccharide (LPS) from Gram-negative bacteria into mice engineered without the gene that produces molecules that gather at sites of damaged tissue. Without these molecules, called prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), the LPS failed to induce bone loss. This suggested, Inada said, that PGE2 is required for periodontitis to progress. "LPS is considered to be a dominant pathogen causing inflammatory bone resorption in periodontitis," Inada said. "On the other hand, Gram-positive bacteria have been known to contribute to the inflammation of the periodontal gums in the initial phases of periodontitis; however, there was little evidence to show that these pathogens contribute to the induction of inflammatory bone resorption in the late phase of periodontitis."

pauljacob

Two questions, Georgi: How much Aspirin and how many times a day? What antibiotic you suggest? Thank you.

B

Braveheart

pauljacob

I took care of my periodontal disease with xylitol....

Thank you bzmazu for the links. Of particular interest to me was the one about Lactobacillus role in periodontal disease. I was a lifelong eater of home-made Yogurt, but stopped after hearing Dr. Peat not recommend it much. I will resume making and eating it to see if my gums improve.

B

Braveheart

Thank you bzmazu for the links. Of particular interest to me was the one about Lactobacillus role in periodontal disease. I was a lifelong eater of home-made Yogurt, but stopped after hearing Dr. Peat not recommend it much. I will resume making and eating it to see if my gums improve.
I eat a little Greek yogurt daily...love it over fruit...specially over papaya or melon. My gums are in great shape. Doesn't coconut oil pulling also work in a similar fashion? Found the Xylitol to be more effective though.

pauljacob

... Doesn't coconut oil pulling also work in a similar fashion?
Even though I cook and use coconut oil liberally, I never thought of using it for pulling. I'm going to add it to my routines. Thanks for mentioning it.

David PS

I took care of my periodontal disease with xylitol....
Thanks for the reminder. I plan to reintroduce it into my daily routine.

I had peridontal disease for years. My last examine was a week ago and I had no pockets in my gums. Six months before I had afew 2 and 3 mm pockets and my periodontist was very happy. Last week he simply said that I should continue doing what I am doing. In addition to brush, flossing and swishing very salty water in my mouth, I am doing some targeted eating.

The title of this thread is "PUFA required for periodontal disease, aspirin may help".
I am low pufa and I have been for years.
I put 1/8 of the teaspoon of aspirin in my coffee and I drink 2 -3 cups each day. I have been doing this for years as well.

I was a lifelong eater of home-made Yogurt, but stopped after hearing Dr. Peat not recommend it much. I will resume making and eating it to see if my gums improve.

In the last few months, I have started eating alot of plain yogurt which have things mixed into it that are intended to reduce my endotoxins/LPS.

Dried ginger powder. (It works better with curcumin.) Google Scholar

Dried parsley. Google Scholar

Soon to be added:
Xylitol Google Scholar

There are other things that you can find on this forum that lower LPS. This is just what I do on a daily basis.

Jon2547

I use a waterpik and have considered using cinnamon oil. Any here have experience with cinnamon oil?

pauljacob

I had peridontal disease for years. My last examine was a week ago and I had no pockets in my gums. Six months before I had afew 2 and 3 mm pockets and my periodontist was very happy. Last week he simply said that I should continue doing what I am doing. In addition to brush, flossing and swishing very salty water in my mouth, I am doing some targeted eating.

The title of this thread is "PUFA required for periodontal disease, aspirin may help".
I put 1/8 of the teaspoon of aspirin in my coffee and I drink 2 -3 cups each day. I have been doing this for years as well.

In the last few months, I have started eating alot of plain yogurt which have things mixed into it that are intended to reduce my endotoxins/LPS.

Soon to be added:
Xylitol Google Scholar

There are other things that you can find on this forum that lower LPS. This is just what I do on a daily basis.
Thank you David PS for the links and ingredients. I'm curious why dried parsley instead of fresh?

David PS

Thank you David PS for the links and ingredients. I'm curious why dried parsley instead of fresh?

Fresh would work. I puchased a pound of organic dried parsley online. It is much cheaper if you buy in bulk. So I use dried parsely.

Incidently, I use a tablespoon (or sometimes 2) of parsley at a time.

David PS

I use a waterpik and have considered using cinnamon oil. Any here have experience with cinnamon oil?

No personal experience with the oil. But check out:

Jon2547

Thank you, I saved that thread to my watch list. My theory is that anything that helps with SIBO will help with oral and cardiovascular health.

pauljacob

I've been using the waterpik for almost 15 years, but I noticed that while it blasts out any hiding bits of food and loose plaque, it does not dissolve the biofilm on the surface of the teeth. For that I use the biofilm terminator: salt on a toothbrush. I use the brush softly and gently, because with the salt it can tear your gums if you brush briskly.

aquila2009

I just discovered something cool to stop inflammation immediately. I put a hard jolly rancher right on the spot and hold it.
Amazing. What‘s going on here? The sugar?

sunny

Soon to be added:
Xylitol Google Scholar

Are you still doing the yogurt mixture? How deep were your pockets to start?

David PS

Are you still doing the yogurt mixture? How deep were your pockets to start?
Yes, eating a yogurt mixture is part of my lifestyle. Recently, I have also included milk kefir into my diet.

I do not remember exactly how deep the pockets were in my gums when I first went to a periodontist. I do not think I have any pockets now and I am still going the the periodontist to monitor the situation.

sunny

Yes, eating a yogurt mixture is part of my lifestyle. Recently, I have also included milk kefir into my diet.

I do not remember exactly how deep the pockets were in my gums when I first went to a periodontist. I do not think I have any pockets now and I am still going the the periodontist to monitor the situation.
Were you at the point that they were recommending "deep cleaning", which is what they call root scaling and planning I guess. My husband has this recommendation and I am trying to figure out if this is necessary, or if there are other things he can do to reverse this situation.

Aymen

Were you at the point that they were recommending "deep cleaning", which is what they call root scaling and planning I guess. My husband has this recommendation and I am trying to figure out if this is necessary, or if there are other things he can do to reverse this situation.
4 mm peridontal pockets are scary, i asked ray peat about deep dental cleaning to heal gingivitis and he told me that it can help, you can find my post here :

My gums were very inflamed few years ago because i stopped brushing my teeth and i binged on sugar every 2 hours.

Dentists usually give doxycycline after deep dental cleaning because you ingested some of the bad bacteria during the procedure.

Deep dental cleaning will heal the gums and you will see good results in 2 weeks, but until then he can try oil pulling with coconut oil, brushing twice a day, baking soda water rinse and of course hydrogen peroxide.

Streptocccus mutans are the bacteria that causes gingivitis and peridontal disease and hydrogen peroxide kills it (use 3% half cup water with half cup hydrogen), one needs to control the amount of bacteria to prevent problems, keeping the mouth alkaline during the day helps a lot and finisihing every meal with cheese.

Finally, I'm afraid that deep dental cleaning if its done regularly ( every once a year) can cause receding gums so don't do it if your pockets are under 4 mm.

sunny

4 mm peridontal pockets are scary, i asked ray peat about deep dental cleaning to heal gingivitis and he told me that it can help, you can find my post here :

My gums were very inflamed few years ago because i stopped brushing my teeth and i binged on sugar every 2 hours.

Dentists usually give doxycycline after deep dental cleaning because you ingested some of the bad bacteria during the procedure.

Deep dental cleaning will heal the gums and you will see good results in 2 weeks, but until then he can try oil pulling with coconut oil, brushing twice a day, baking soda water rinse and of course hydrogen peroxide.

Streptocccus mutans are the bacteria that causes gingivitis and peridontal disease and hydrogen peroxide kills it (use 3% half cup water with half cup hydrogen), one needs to control the amount of bacteria to prevent problems, keeping the mouth alkaline during the day helps a lot and finisihing every meal with cheese.

Finally, I'm afraid that deep dental cleaning if its done regularly ( every once a year) can cause receding gums so don't do it if your pockets are under 4 mm.
Thank you for this info. Very helpful. He is doing baking soda for brushing, xylitol mints at work after eating. I will add the hydrogen peroxide to the water pic.

What does the cheese do after meals? Do you need a certain kind?

David PS

I had cleanings performed as well. I had at least 2 cleaning that included ultrasonic devices. I believe these helped and perhaps I should have mentioned them. The ultrasonic devices can clean the hardened plaque that coats the teeth much deeper below the gum line. I do not get the ultrasonic cleanings anymore because they are no longer being recommended. :):

I just read what @Aymen wrote and I agree with him.

I like to rinse with strong salt water (it takes some time to adapt to the taste). Historically, salt water rinses have been used for gum inflammation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals