Blocking prostaglandins restores (glucose) metabolism, reverses brain aging

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is rare to find a study like the one below that combines so many crucial topics into a unified message. Namely, the role of energy in aging and disease, the role of oxidative glucose metabolism in aging and health, the pathological role of PUFA as a negative (glucose) metabolic regulator and thus a major pathological factor, the reversibility of this PUFA-driven state and even aging, and finally the positive feedback loop that so many of the pathological mediators form in the organism (i.e. sickness reinforces itself, as does health). In this specific case, the (in)famous PUFA metabolite (through the cyclo-oxygenase (COX) pathway) prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) was found to be directly responsible for inhibiting oxidative glucose metabolism in the brain and thus instead of glucose being used to synthesize ATP and support brain function (cognition) and structure, the glucose was instead diverted to glycogen synthesis. That condition alone was sufficient to produce an "aged brain" phenotype with significant deterioration in cognition. While the study did not investigate it, if glucose oxidation is suppressed, then lactate levels will rise as well as fatty acid oxidation (as a result of Randle cycle dynamics). So, another way to state the findings of the study is that lower glucose oxidation and elevated fatty acid oxidation drives brain aging by lowering brain energetic reserves (ATP) and this entire process is driven by the PUFA metabolites known as prostaglandins. Conversely, blocking the effects of PGE2 even only peripherally (i.e. not in the brain) was sufficient to restore glucose metabolism, and reverse the "aged brain" phenotype as demonstrated by the completely restored cognition in the aged animals. Speaking of PUFA, while the study only examined its PGE2 metabolites and speaks of other prostaglandins as "beneficial", I don't think this is the case as other studies have demonstrated pathological roles of PGD2 and PGF2 as well. Just as importantly, even non-metabolized PUFA is perfectly capable of suppressing glucose metabolism and increasing inflammatory biomarkers such as IL-1, IL-6, TNF-a, NF-kB, histamine, serotonin, etc. As such, while taking aspirin would be perhaps the most direct method for replicating the study design/findings, an even more systemic approach would be avoiding dietary PUFA to start with as it has pathological roles of its own that are not dependent on prostaglandins. Finally, it is worth pointing out that the study found prostaglandins form a positive-feedback loop with the COX enzyme producing them, so that increased levels of prostaglandins result in both increased COX expression and activity, resulting in even more inflammation/prostaglandins, and so on. This vicious cycle forms with many other pathological mediators such as cortisol, estrogen, serotonin, histamine, etc and often breaking even a single portion/pathway of this cycle (e.g. serotonin<-> cortisol) results in the unraveling of the entire pathological cascade.

Restoring metabolism of myeloid cells reverses cognitive decline in ageing - Nature
"...Our study suggests that the development of maladaptive inflammation and cognitive decline in ageing may not be a static or permanent condition, but rather that it can be reversed by inhibiting inflammatory PGE2 signalling through the myeloid EP2 receptor. First, we find that ageing is associated with a significant increase in pro-inflammatory PGE2 signalling in myeloid cells, which drives the sequestration of glucose into glycogen through the AKT–GSK3β–GYS1 pathway and away from the generation of ATP. Second, we uncover a fundamental vulnerability of ageing myeloid cells, in which they become dependent on glucose and are unable to use alternative energy sources to support mitochondrial respiration. These two mechanisms converge, leading to a reduction of glucose flux and the development of an energy-depleted state that drives pro-inflammatory immune responses. Third, by directing glucose towards the production of ATP, as opposed to glycogen storage, inhibition of myeloid EP2 in ageing cells reverts the polarization state to a more homeostatic anti-inflammatory state that prevents age-associated cognitive decline. We also demonstrate that peripheral EP2 blockade is sufficient to re-establish youthful immune homeostasis not only in the blood, but also in the brain, and to restore hippocampal function and plasticity in aged mice. The mechanisms underlying this rescue are probably distinct from those that underlie the effect of a brain-penetrant EP2 inhibitor that can directly target microglial EP2 signalling. Peripheral EP2 blockade may lead to changes in the composition of blood, components of which could beneficially affect the ageing cerebrovascular endothelium or penetrate the brain parenchyma to improve neuronal function. Finally, our findings are consistent with a feedforward loop involving the inflammatory COX-2–PGE2–EP2 cascade, in which increasing PGE2 signalling via the EP2 receptor induces additional COX-2 expression and activity, further amplifying downstream PGE2 generation and signalling24,38,39. Thus, inhibition of EP2-dependent changes in myeloid metabolism may represent a new approach to disorders of ageing, with greater specificity than the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that target COX-2 and COX-1 and suppress both beneficial and toxic prostaglandin signalling pathways40."

Last edited:

Spartan300

Are all prostaglandins the same? (And bad)

I have to use prostaglandin eye drops to manage high intraocular pressures.

P.s. I have been avoiding PUFA and following Peat principals and lifestyle for 6 or 7 years

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Spartan300

I did. I see references to PGE2 but I don't know how many different prostaglandins may exist or whether PGE2 is the only one?

I also don't know whether my eye drops are PGE2 so I was looking for some help. Thanks

Spartan300

Ok, I now see in your comments that there are others but you consider all to be bad

EnergeticLeo

the (in)famous PUFA metabolite (through the cyclo-oxygenase (COX) pathway) prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) was found to be directly responsible for inhibiting oxidative glucose metabolism in the brain
Fascinating! I wonder if prostaglandins derived from Mead acid would promote glucose oxidation and inhibit FAO.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Michael Mohn

Ok, I now see in your comments that there are others but you consider all to be bad
Prostaglandins have a biological function and in the right amounts at the right time can safe your life but PUFA do produce "prostaglandin like molecules" and as the supply of PUFA in the standard diet is excessive you produce chronically excess amounts of prostaglandin, consequently chronic inflammation which is always bad.

GTW

PGE2 is a metabolite of Omega 6 long chain PUFA, Arachidonic Acid.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Prostaglandins have a biological function and in the right amounts at the right time can safe your life but PUFA do produce "prostaglandin like molecules" and as the supply of PUFA in the standard diet is excessive you produce chronically excess amounts of prostaglandin, consequently chronic inflammation which is always bad.

Prostaglandin-like molecules derived from Mead acid, which we produce when are deficient in PUFA, perform the same physiological role as the PUFA-derived prostaglandins but without their dangerous inflammatory effects. So, we don't actually need the PUFA-derived ones, and as such there is no need to eat any amount of PUFA.

GTW

Prostaglandin-like molecules derived from Mead acid, which we produce when are deficient in PUFA, perform the same physiological role as the PUFA-derived prostaglandins but without their dangerous inflammatory effects. So, we don't actually need the PUFA-derived ones, and as such there is no need to eat any amount of PUFA.
Reference? Proof? Linoleic acid was proven essential long ago.
One size does not fit all.
I doubt human cell membranes can function without some exogenous O 3 and 6. Arachidonic Acid plays an important role in healing.
No need to be hyperbolic.

tallglass13

Reference? Proof? Linoleic acid was proven essential long ago.
One size does not fit all.
I doubt human cell membranes can function without some exogenous O 3 and 6. Arachidonic Acid plays an important role in healing.
No need to be hyperbolic.
Geez wiz, I thought the bulk of Raymond Peat's work was showcasing the fact that the Burr's study was flawed.

Last edited:

Michael Mohn

I agree very much, in a PUFA free environment the precursor to prostaglandins would be mead acid and the body could control the production of prostaglandin/inflammation very tightly but PUFA creates chaos and the production of prostaglandins becomes uncontrollable and excessive. No Pufa in the diet would be best but it's difficult to realize.

Spartan300

I bought into minimising PUFA several years back and it's always good to see studies which reinforce the message.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is whether the prescription prostaglandin eye drops are causing me issues metabolically

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals