Endometriosis Is An Estrogen-caused And Estrogen-driven Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has been writing about this for decades. However, the official Wikipedia page still says that the cause of endometriosis is currently unknown and probably involved genetics.

Endometriosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"...The cause is not entirely clear.[2] Risk factors include having a family history of the condition. Most often the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and tissue around the uterus and ovaries are affected; however, in rare cases it may also occur in other parts of the body.[4] The areas of endometriosis bleed each month, resulting in inflammation and scarring.[2][4] The growths due to endometriosis are not cancer. Diagnosis is usually based on symptoms in combination with medical imaging. Biopsy is the most sure method of diagnosis.[4] Other causes of similar symptoms include irritable bowel syndrome, interstitial cystitis, and fibromyalgia.[2]"

Now, this study, with very little fanfare actually directly puts the blame on estrogen, promotes progesterone as a possible treatment and also points the finger at inflammation as another factor. Specifically, the role of prostaglandins in promoting endometriosis tissue damage. Given aspirin's role in suppressing prostaglandin formation, Ray's recommendations from 40 years ago to treat endometriosis with progesterone, vitamin E, and aspirin seem almost prophetic.
On a side note, I have found that many (if not all) of Peat's ideas are actually quite well-known, accepted and applied in some scientific circles. This study is just one of many examples. They just seem to not be given much publicity and official adoption in a clinical setting. The role of PUFA as a known carcinogen, cause of heart disease, dementia, etc is actually far from a fringe idea. We just don't hear about it in the news, and it is certainly not popular at the FDA HQ just a few miles from where I live.
Adding further to the idiotisms of official medical practice is the proposal to use PGE2 inhbitors like rofecoxib instead of the much safer and effective aspirin. For those who don't know, rofecoxib is the infamous drug Vioxx. That drug killed quite a few people by heart attack and was withdrawn from the market in 1999. Apparently, it is being re-introduced for treatment of endometriosis. Rofecoxib is a type of stilbene - a synthetic estrogen that is a close relative to the natural stilbenol resveratrol. So, if anybody is still considering taking resveratrol, maybe the fact that it is a cousin of the killer Vioxx would give that person a pause.

Endometriosis Review Shows Shift in Research Focus to Estrogen Receptor's Role - Endometriosis News

"...Since endometriosis is an estrogen-dependent disease, treatment approaches still rely on mechanisms to suppress estrogen action. But this approach has the considerable disadvantage of affecting fertility and producing menopausal-like side effects."

"...In endometriosis, increased inflammation and the release of inflammatory cytokines partly result from altered progesterone production. The hormone has anti-inflammatory properties, and drugs mimicking progesterone action have been used to treat the condition. The treatment’s efficiency, however, is not universal, and many women do not experience pain relief from it. Scientists believe that an altered sensitivity to the hormone might be a result of a reduced expression of progesterone receptors, and have turned their gaze to specific inflammatory mediators. TNF-α was one of the first inflammatory factors investigated, and while preclinical research looked promising, clinical trials delivered disappointing results. The use of different endpoints in animal and human trials play a large part in these failures."

"...Another factor influenced by MIF is prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), which is elevated in endometriosis and has, in fact, been proposed to be a master regulator of endometriosis. Blocking PGE2 receptors reduces growth and survival of endometriotic lesions, and slows the ingrowth of new blood vessels and nerves to the lesion. A clinical trial of rofecoxib — a blocker of the PGE2 precursor COX2 — reduced pain in women with endometriosis. Since both TNFα and MIF stimulate PGE2 production, it is possible that the effects on lesion burden when blocking these factors might be mediated by PDE2."

Koveras

Dopamine agonists such as cabergoline and bromocriptine have shown some promise in treating endometriosis as well.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dopamine agonists such as cabergoline and bromocriptine have shown some promise in treating endometriosis as well.

Thanks, good to know. I was aware of anti-serotonin drugs showing effects, so this adds even more weight to the estrogen-serotonin-fibrosis axis.

Ritchie

Thank you this is interesting. A girlfriend of mine was recently told she had endometriosis, believe it or not the doctor actually recommended she go on the contraceptive pill to "help" with the symptoms, and to preserve her ability to have children one day (have no idea how that makes sense)..
Did Ray talk about what amounts of progesterone/aspirin he thought may be beneficial? I'm assuming cyproheptadine would be quite effective also..

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you this is interesting. A girlfriend of mine was recently told she had endometriosis, believe it or not the doctor actually recommended she go on the contraceptive pill to "help" with the symptoms, and to preserve her ability to have children one day (have no idea how that makes sense)..
Did Ray talk about what amounts of progesterone/aspirin he thought may be beneficial? I'm assuming cyproheptadine would be quite effective also..

He said even physiological doses of progesterone (20mg - 30mg) should have an effect but said there is no upper limit for women since they are not concerned about the anti-androgenic effects of high-dose progesterone. As little as 650mg (2 tablets) of aspirin have been shown to lower aromatase. Given the study on aspirin lowering cortisol (which promotes aromatase) and increasing testosterone, a dose of 400mg twice a day (800mg total) should also have a very strong effect.
Cyproheptadine, like all antihistamines and anticholinergics, blocks estrogen's effects. So, yes, helpful as well, especially considering its anti-serotonin activity.

Ritchie

He said even physiological doses of progesterone (20mg - 30mg) should have an effect but said there is no upper limit for women since they are not concerned about the anti-androgenic effects of high-dose progesterone. As little as 650mg (2 tablets) of aspirin have been shown to lower aromatase. Given the study on aspirin lowering cortisol (which promotes aromatase) and increasing testosterone, a dose of 400mg twice a day (800mg total) should also have a very strong effect.
Cyproheptadine, like all antihistamines and anticholinergics, blocks estrogen's effects. So, yes, helpful as well, especially considering its anti-serotonin activity.
:hattip

Peata

I had endometriosis. I suspect I had it as a teen with super painful periods, but after about a decade on the birth control pill, I ended up having an ovarian cyst removed and endometriosis burnt out. I saw the whole thing on a video of my surgery the surgeon gave me.

Ritchie

I had endometriosis. I suspect I had it as a teen with super painful periods, but after about a decade on the birth control pill, I ended up having an ovarian cyst removed and endometriosis burnt out. I saw the whole thing on a video of my surgery the surgeon gave me.
That must have been quite intense! So does that mean the issues you had revolving around endometriosis are gone? Is there anything you might recommend in retrospect for someone going through that currently? Any advice would be great

Peata

That must have been quite intense! So does that mean the issues you had revolving around endometriosis are gone? Is there anything you might recommend in retrospect for someone going through that currently? Any advice would be great

I don't know that it came back after the surgery, but I had plenty of estrogen dominance symptoms besides that. I would look into the Peat things to lower estrogen, like progest-E, and/or a good vitamin E and A. I don't know but aspirin might help. Lower PUFA.

Here's some info from Ray Peat articles:

"Endometriosis is stimulated by dioxins. Environmental estrogens affect the immune system." Immunodeficiency, dioxins, stress, and the hormones

"Aromatase can produce estrogen in fat cells, fibroblasts, smooth muscle cells, breast and uterine tissue, pancreas, liver, brain, bone, skin, etc. Its action in breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine cancer, lupus, gynecomastia, and many other diseases is especially important. Aromatase in mammary tissue appears to increase estrogen receptors and cause breast neoplasia, independently of ovarian estrogen (Tekmal, et al., 1999)." Tissue-bound estrogen in aging

Ritchie

I don't know that it came back after the surgery, but I had plenty of estrogen dominance symptoms besides that. I would look into the Peat things to lower estrogen, like progest-E, and/or a good vitamin E and A. I don't know but aspirin might help. Lower PUFA.

"Endometriosis is stimulated by dioxins. Environmental estrogens affect the immune system." Immunodeficiency, dioxins, stress, and the hormones

"Aromatase can produce estrogen in fat cells, fibroblasts, smooth muscle cells, breast and uterine tissue, pancreas, liver, brain, bone, skin, etc. Its action in breast cancer, endometriosis, uterine cancer, lupus, gynecomastia, and many other diseases is especially important. Aromatase in mammary tissue appears to increase estrogen receptors and cause breast neoplasia, independently of ovarian estrogen (Tekmal, et al., 1999)." Tissue-bound estrogen in aging
Thank you very much for the info! And glad to hear that you got rid of it

freyasam

Peata, would you surgically remove the ovarian cyst if you had to do it again? I have a couple of large cysts that haven't gotten smaller after years of thyroid, Peaty diet, aspirin, and off-and-on progresterone use (I don't like how it makes me feel so I haven't used it in a while). Doctors are saying I might need surgery since one is pushing on my colon. I don't know if I can get them to shrink on my own. Just wondering if you had any thoughts. Thank you.

Cmarie

Have there been any updates to your condition? I am researching my own estrogen dominance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals