Endotoxin Can Cause Inflammation Independently Of PUFA

haidut

Forum Supporter
As many people on the forum know, the primary driver of inflammation in humans is the metabolism of arachidonic acid into various inflammatory mediators like prostaglandins, leukotrienes, and tromboxanes. If you remove arachidonic acid, about 90% of the inflammatory response goes away. However, inflammation can still happen, though in much more subdued forms. For a long time it was not known how this process can occur, but this study reveals that endotoxin can directly trigger inflammatory response in the absence of any other mediators. Yet another reason to keep that charcoal handy.

http://www.cell.com/immunity/fulltext/S1074-7613(16)00037-6
An alternative route to inflammation - LMU Munich

"...The researchers activated the TLR4 receptor by exposing their monocytes to bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) – a complex molecule made up of sugars and fats, which is found on the surface of many pathogenic bacteria. They then showed that binding of LPS triggers the secretion of IL-1 via a previously unrecognized signal relay. “The activation of this new pathway explains why human monocytes do not need a second signal to secrete IL-1. Conversely, in mouse monocytes this particular pathway is not activated, so a second stimulus is required,” Veit Hornung explains. Moreover, while inflammasome activation in the mouse induces programmed inflammatory cell death, the pathway used in human monocytes does not. “We refer to this signal pathway as the alternative inflammasome, in order to distinguish it from previously described pathways,” says Hornung. “We believe that this signal pathway plays a critical role in inflammatory processes in humans.” The new study underlines the fact that results obtained in mice are not always translatable to humans. So far, only human monocytes have been found to react directly to contact with LPS by releasing interleukin 1, without the need for a second signal. The researchers now intend to analyze the in-vivo function of the TLR4 receptor in other model organisms. Using Hornung’s monocyte-like cells, it should be possible to identify further signal pathways in vitro. “Our results refute some of the classical tenets of inflammasome research. We hope that our new method will also enhance our understanding of the cell biological basis of immune disorders,” Hornung concludes."

Alright Amazoniac...so I'm LOADED with Arachidonic Acid.

Charcoal constipates me. Being constipated makes me feel poorly.

Pooping at least twice a day makes me feel AWESOME....what else ya got? I need a guarantee that I won't get stopped up...

misery guts

How much endotoxin did the experiment mimic? Presumably the inflammation level of someone with a chronic bacterial infection would remain high regardless of pufa?
I think I'm in that boat at the moment, and I'm starting to worry that general approaches to resolving inflammation might be counterproductive.

14:30

Chris mentions that the resolution (as well as the initiation) of inflammation is dependent on Arachidonic Acid. Could it be that a consistent source (ie pufa) might actually be supplemental (in the sense that inflammation is our body fighting bacterial infection) to an infected person?

BrianF

Excuse my ignorance, but how would one remove or reduce arachidonic acid?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Excuse my ignorance, but how would one remove or reduce arachidonic acid?

You can also inhibit the enzyme phospholipase 2, which generates arachidonic acid.
Phospholipase A2 - Wikipedia

But I agree, eating less of the precursor linoleic acid is the preferred way to go as linoleic acid has estrogenic properties on its own and without conversion into anything else.

TubZy

What are some phospholipase 2 inhibitors that are worth while?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals