Progesterone Confusion

Orius

My question is about men who take progesterone.

Some sources say that progesterone antagonizes androgens, lowering them in the body. Others say that it increases androgens and antagonizes estrogen. I'm assuming both these statements are true, but when are they relevant?

My assumption is that it would antagonize androgens in young men but promote androgens in men over 50. Is this true?

I'm 33 and I'm trying to figure out if it's wise for me to be taking any progesterone at all. I've suffered chronic illness so that's why I'm looking into it. So far DHEA is helping me regain some energy but I don't want to overdo it and cause too much DHT formation. My idea was to add some progesterone to maybe inhibit DHT, but I'm also aware that taking progesterone with DHEA can cause excess androgen too. So I'm a bit confused.

I've been on prednisone for months and I have adrenal fatigue coming off of it. That's why I'm doing this, if anyone is wondering.

alywest

Some sources say that progesterone antagonizes androgens, lowering them in the body. Others say that it increases androgens and antagonizes estrogen. I'm assuming both these statements are true, but when are they relevant?

My assumption is that it would antagonize androgens in young men but promote androgens in men over 50. Is this true?

I'm 33 and I'm trying to figure out if it's wise for me to be taking any progesterone at all. I've suffered chronic illness so that's why I'm looking into it. So far DHEA is helping me regain some energy but I don't want to overdo it and cause too much DHT formation. My idea was to add some progesterone to maybe inhibit DHT, but I'm also aware that taking progesterone with DHEA can cause excess androgen too. So I'm a bit confused.

I've been on prednisone for months and I have adrenal fatigue coming off of it. That's why I'm doing this, if anyone is wondering.

I would go to the "progestene" thread (idealabs) and read through that thread to see what other men are saying about it! :cool:

milk_lover

My guess would be it depends on the dose. I think no more than 10 mg a day in divided doses (e.g., 3-5 mg) would be optimal for a man. I wonder why you don't want much DHT.

OP
O

Orius

My guess would be it depends on the dose. I think no more than 10 mg a day in divided doses (e.g., 3-5 mg) would be optimal for a man. I wonder why you don't want much DHT.

I want normal DHT, but not too much. Don't want to lose my hair. Already have the beginning of a small bald spot on the crown.

milk_lover

I want normal DHT, but not too much. Don't want to lose my hair. Already have the beginning of a small bald spot on the crown.
I think many people here and Peat also theorized that DHT in fact makes the hair stronger. I would advise you to search the forum about these topics and Danny Roddy book and website. Many people here think stress, hypothyroidism, estrogen, prolactin, and lack of youthful hormones like DHT, DHEA, and progesterone are behind hair loss.

OP
O

Orius

I think many people here and Peat also theorized that DHT in fact makes the hair stronger. I would advise you to search the forum about these topics and Danny Roddy book and website. Many people here think stress, hypothyroidism, estrogen, prolactin, and lack of youthful hormones like DHT, DHEA, and progesterone are behind hair loss.

Thanks milk_lover for this info. Don't suppose you could point me to some threads? I just tried searching and didn't turn up much, nor did I find research online when I looked. Seems that the majority are still saying that DHT is related to hair loss.

Do you know off hand if I take progesterone + DHEA is there a risk of estrogen dominance in men? I think a low dose of progesterone is called for either way, in my case.

jitsmonkey

There is so little legitimate research re: progesterone and men
your best bet is to test it on yourself and simply go slow
any negative effects are easy to back out of simply by stopping.
I'm a male and have used it in both low and high doses with no problem.
Others will counter with the opposite experience, although I question what ELSE they were doing, taking, etc...
But nonetheless... test it and back out of it if you don't like the results you see.
Both the positive and negative are quite obvious
especially if you're actively and accurately tracking pulse and temp.
Pregnenolone and DHEA are the more "conventional" option for "men"

Xisca

This is exactly the sort of answer you will not get!
In the end, some are trying the hair analysis route by labs like ARL or Trace Elements. + blood tests.
This will give you your context before starting.
Try and stop can be hazardous, according to body's reaction, you never know, as some people are stuck in loops after taking anything even minerals. Or they react well at first, and then it stops working! Because the body adapts, and then hard to get back sometimes...
So test first.

milk_lover

Thanks milk_lover for this info. Don't suppose you could point me to some threads? I just tried searching and didn't turn up much, nor did I find research online when I looked. Seems that the majority are still saying that DHT is related to hair loss.

Do you know off hand if I take progesterone + DHEA is there a risk of estrogen dominance in men? I think a low dose of progesterone is called for either way, in my case.
Have a look at this thread --> Hypothyroidism (Cortisol, Prolactin And Adrenal Hyperactivity) Causes Balding

I think the dose of DHEA is really important to avoid DHEA estrogen issues and how your stress levels are. If you take, let's say, 2.5 mg DHEA (reasonable amount), and combine it with any of the followings...progesterone, vitamin D, vitamin K2, aspirin, glycine, b-vitamins... to lower stress, I think the risk of estrogen increase from DHEA will be overall lower.

johnwester130

men need progesterone and DHT

DHT won't convert to estrogen like dhea and testosterone

DHT is the powerful blocker of estrogen and cortisol, even more than things like lisuride and d/k2 and even progesterone and maybe thyroid hormone too.

DHT supplementation vs Testosterone

www.treatprostatitis.com/causes-of-prostatitis/

Prostate Cancer

Progesterone for men

alywest

The meat industry is interested in reducing the toughness of meat, by influencing the nature of the collagen in muscle. Castrated animals were found to produce meat that was tenderer than that of intact males. When castrated animals were treated with testosterone, the amount of collagen was increased, making the meat tougher. But when dihydrotestoserone, which can't be converted to estrogen was used, the meat didn't become tough. Treatment with estrogen produced the same increase of collagen as treatment with testosterone, showing that testosterone's effect was mainly the result of its conversion to estrogen (Miller, et al., 1990).
Osteoporosis, aging, tissue renewal, and product science

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals