Topical Progesterone And Hair Growth - Why Does It Work?

yoshiesque

I have been seeing more and more cases of people using a combination of minoxidil/progesterone/tretinoin to combat hair loss. And it seems to work. The main reason is because of the progesterone.

However after consulting with a pharmacist who gives this to patients (with doctors prescription of course), he also uses Spironolactone, which is an anti-androgen. And by this I assume he means anti-testosterone/DHT.

BUT, didnt Danny Roddy and Ray Peat discuss the whole DHT/Testosterone theory for hair loss as being invalid?

I think people are under the assumption that topical progesterone blocks testosterone/DHT in the scalp area. Is that true? Or is there something else thats making the hair grow?

XPlus

I don't exactly understand the difference in wiring structure up there among people but I think that area suffers from a lack of blood flow in most people.
During stress, most nutrients are most probably directed towards survival leaving the scalp area malnourished.
Brian is certainly the number one priority in all scenarios. Something like muscle growth and maintenance becomes a priority when the system anticipates the need for more muscle power. That's probably why balding is prevalent among bodybuilders. The typical bodybuilder lifestyle and diet is stressful, providing limited resources to the system and less time to heal.

I had a persistent shoulder injury when I was on paleo although I was able to heal other injuries.
I think areas where the blood flow is limited are highly susceptible to injury during stress.
Blood pressure - usually accompanied by excess weight - is probably a signal that the blood volume isn't sufficient to meet all the body's needs.
That's also one good reason why balding is common among the obese.

The things we do in the Peatland, like using light, heat, thyroid, CO2, aspirin, caffeine, DHEA and progesterone is a way to try and restore life to that region.
Establishing the right balance would call for an accelerated blood flow and initiate the healing.

Sheik

I've tried all the drugs you mentioned and I think the main reason is the minoxidil. Progesterone did nothing for my hair in the amount of time I would have seen regrowth from minox. Though I never did combine them.

Spironolactone had such nasty side effects that I didn't wait to see what it did for my hair.

:2cents

OP
Y

yoshiesque

Sheik said:
post 104897 I've tried all the drugs you mentioned and I think the main reason is the minoxidil. Progesterone did nothing for my hair in the amount of time I would have seen regrowth from minox. Though I never did combine them.

Spironolactone had such nasty side effects that I didn't wait to see what it did for my hair.

:2cents

Have you tried the other options RP has discussed? He has talked about the following as possibilities for hair loss solutions:
- Topical aspirin & niacinamide
- Topical caffeine
- Topical DHEA & olive oil
- Danny Roddy mentioned T3 being a good supplement if RP diet doesnt help. Since T3 converts cholesterol into progesterone. However my doctor did say it doesnt happy as easily as you think it would.

How long did you try progesterone on your hair for?

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
yoshiesque said:
post 104881 I have been seeing more and more cases of people using a combination of minoxidil/progesterone/tretinoin to combat hair loss. And it seems to work. The main reason is because of the progesterone.

However after consulting with a pharmacist who gives this to patients (with doctors prescription of course), he also uses Spironolactone, which is an anti-androgen. And by this I assume he means anti-testosterone/DHT.

BUT, didnt Danny Roddy and Ray Peat discuss the whole DHT/Testosterone theory for hair loss as being invalid?

I think people are under the assumption that topical progesterone blocks testosterone/DHT in the scalp area. Is that true? Or is there something else thats making the hair grow?

Hair loss is mostly a prolactin/cortisol excess, which suffocates the uptake of thyroid hormone into the follicles.
The DHT theory of baldness is just as criminally dumb as the one about DHT causing prostate cancer. Injections of testosterone directly into the prostate stopped terminal prostate cancer.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5579
Btw, the prostate contains the highest concentration of the 5-AR enzyme so most of that testosterone converted into DHT. How's that for the correctness of that theory?

Sol Invictus

I tried progesterone for about a year and a half and it did absolutely nothing for me to regrow hair. I have diffuse thinning. I have been trying progesterone mostly orally and sometimes topically (though I gave that up a long time ago, its too difficult to apply when you still have hair all over). Orally I have been taking from 1 to 3 drops daily. Anything more will make me feel too lethargic and give me weak muscles in my legs.

Positive side effects were improved libido and a great sense of calm. It also has helped me shed less hair.

But I also have negative side effects like some fat gain and dry hair/dry skin all over. The main problem I have with progesterone is that lately I have begun to have cold hands or feet and cold skin even though my temp and pulse are good. When I go to bed this goes away, but when I wake up in the morning and eat they get cold again.

What is the cause of this? Can I be suppressing my adrenal hormones too much? Maybe causing an imbalance with DHEA? Can I be causing glucose intolerance due to having too much progesterone in my system? Maybe I have caused an imbalance between progesterone and estrogen with too much progesterone in my system? I also have low ferritin (20ug/L) and am wondering if this is causing my cold extremities. I find sometimes I get breathlessness during exertion and sweat easily.

Brandon

Hair loss is mostly a prolactin/cortisol excess, which suffocates the uptake of thyroid hormone into the follicles.
The DHT theory of baldness is just as criminally dumb as the one about DHT causing prostate cancer. Injections of testosterone directly into the prostate stopped terminal prostate cancer.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5579
Btw, the prostate contains the highest concentration of the 5-AR enzyme so most of that testosterone converted into DHT. How's that for the correctness of that theory?

What is the most efficient way to get rid of prolactin and cortisol in the scalp???

Brandon

I received Peat's Projest-E in the mail. Is it supposed to be so damn viscous ?

lindsay

I received Peat's Projest-E in the mail. Is it supposed to be so damn viscous ?

Yes. It's the Vitamin E oil. If you want a more liquid like product, Health Natura's is fantastic. I love Progest-E, but the mixture of MCT oils with the Vitamin E really helps applying it topically. Maybe try mixing the Progest-E with some coconut or olive oil (or essential oils, which is what I like to do).

Brandon

Yes. It's the Vitamin E oil. If you want a more liquid like product, Health Natura's is fantastic. I love Progest-E, but the mixture of MCT oils with the Vitamin E really helps applying it topically. Maybe try mixing the Progest-E with some coconut or olive oil (or essential oils, which is what I like to do).
Thanks for that, lindsay. I already have coconut and olive oil, so I'll try that.

Brandon

Thanks for that, lindsay. I already have coconut and olive oil, so I'll try that.
The only odd thing is that I have a bottle of vitamin E by itlself and it's not nearly as viscous as the progest-E.

lindsay

The only odd thing is that I have a bottle of vitamin E by itlself and it's not nearly as viscous as the progest-E.

Progest-E is made with mixed tocopherols. Every vitamin E oil I've bought in the past is fairly different. It could be that dissolving in progesterone in the vitamin E oil thickens it - I'm not sure. I actually really like Health Natura's Simply Progesterone because it is much easier to apply and sinks in fast. But I used Progest-E for years and really liked the effects of it as well, so I would definitely try mixing it with CO or essential oils (which smell nice - I especially loved using Lemon or Orange oil).

haidut

Forum Supporter
What is the most efficient way to get rid of prolactin and cortisol in the scalp???

How do you know it is elevated in the scalp? DHT opposes estrogen, cortisol and prolactin when applied topically as well.

Brandon

Progest-E is made with mixed tocopherols. Every vitamin E oil I've bought in the past is fairly different. It could be that dissolving in progesterone in the vitamin E oil thickens it - I'm not sure. I actually really like Health Natura's Simply Progesterone because it is much easier to apply and sinks in fast. But I used Progest-E for years and really liked the effects of it as well, so I would definitely try mixing it with CO or essential oils (which smell nice - I especially loved using Lemon or Orange oil).

Cool. So what do you use it for if I may ask? Have you seen that it helps hair growth?

Pointless

Lol putting dht on your scalp to stop hair loss? I love this forum.

My experience is that sudden shifts in hormones make my hair loss worse. I would be careful about experimentation, because it can get real bad, real fast. Progesterone was the worst, but I don't know why.

Vitamin E is very thick. Your vit E is runny because it's mixed with unsaturated fats, probably.

Brandon

How do you know it is elevated in the scalp? DHT opposes estrogen, cortisol and prolactin when applied topically as well.
I dont know if they are elevated or not. I just assumed they were since you mentioned them as being the main factors in hair loss (if I remember right, sorry if not). I'm 30 and starting to lose it quick fast and in a hurry, so I need to figure this sh!t out soon.... actually, I don't have any bald spots yet, but the front part of my scalp just doesn't grow. It's weird ; the hair is there but just doesnt grow. I have this really short hair in front and a big afro in the back lol.

Any I tried mixing vitamin e with the progest e, and it's till super viscous, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed this stuff on my scalp.

DaveFoster

I dont know if they are elevated or not. I just assumed they were since you mentioned them as being the main factors in hair loss (if I remember right, sorry if not). I'm 30 and starting to lose it quick fast and in a hurry, so I need to figure this sh!t out soon.... actually, I don't have any bald spots yet, but the front part of my scalp just doesn't grow. It's weird ; the hair is there but just doesnt grow. I have this really short hair in front and a big afro in the back lol.

Any I tried mixing vitamin e with the progest e, and it's till super viscous, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed this stuff on my scalp.
19 here. In a similar boat. Do you get tingling on your scalp in the mornings?

Brandon

Lol putting dht on your scalp to stop hair loss? I love this forum.
Well I don't know enough about hair loss to judge, honestly. I'm just learning about it cuz I'm going through it now. Ray peat did say he saw hair regrowth in people after applying progesterone (don't know if it was progest e), especially in the front.
I wouldn't be surprised if the initial response to any treatment is that hair loss gets slightly worse at first, but then starts to improve significantly.

It would be ironic if there is pufa in the progest e solution, since dr. Peat has such a negative view of pufa....

My experience is that sudden shifts in hormones make my hair loss worse. I would be careful about experimentation, because it can get real bad, real fast. Progesterone was the worst, but I don't know why.

Vitamin E is very thick. Your vit E is runny because it's mixed with unsaturated fats, probably.

19 here. In a similar boat. Do you get tingling on your scalp in the mornings?
No tingling at all... just a funny shaped afro.

DaveFoster

No tingling at all... just a funny shaped afro.
carrot-top-main.jpg