Masculinizing Effects From Progesterone?

cellboy

Anyone else noticed masculinizing effects from taking progesterone? Just started taking some like 5 weeks ago and the changes are amazing! Things i got are wider and more prominent jaw, fat deposits on upper eyelid making it look more hooded, harder muscles, wider forehead and a broader skull, stronger libido with very little refractory period, extremely high confidence levels almost like being high or drunk no joke especially in combination with lots of coffee, fat loss on some places especially on the abdomen and the **** area and thicker and straighter eyebrows. The only bad thing i noticed from taking it is very slow beard growth. No changes in hairline or hair growth noticed although i must admit 11-keto is way better for hair related stuff especially the hairline, too potent though makes you grow baby hairs which doesn't look very nice.
It confuses me because those things are exactly what androgens are supposed to do except for the hair. Is it it's antagonism to estrogen or cortisol or maybe both? If so why isn't aspirin or vitamin e so potent like progesterone? Is it its conversion to downstream androgens? I tried other progesterone products in the past with very bad results and the doses were way lower than i'm taking currently. Do you think taking pregnenolone yields similar results? Any advice would be appreciated thanks

opethfeldt

Interesting. I had the same experience and I'm taking 40+. I think it's mostly from downstream androgens and maybe from the estrogen antagonism. Progesterone is also good for bone health and anything that antagonizes cortisol will potentiate the effects of androgens so there's a lot of possible explanations. You mentioned pregnenolone and I think it's worth mentioning that high dose preg (100+ mg) never had the same effects for me as progesterone. I don't think my body converts preg into prog very well. The fear that males have of progesterone and its feminizing effects is unwarranted. It's a great addition to a supplement stack for males and has a lot of far reaching benefits.

Luckytype

Interesting. I had the same experience and I'm taking 40+. I think it's mostly from downstream androgens and maybe from the estrogen antagonism. Progesterone is also good for bone health and anything that antagonizes cortisol will potentiate the effects of androgens so there's a lot of possible explanations. You mentioned pregnenolone and I think it's worth mentioning that high dose preg (100+ mg) never had the same effects for me as progesterone. I don't think my body converts preg into prog very well. The fear that males have of progesterone and its feminizing effects is unwarranted. It's a great addition to a supplement stack for males and has a lot of far reaching benefits.

Can you give the thread readers an idea of your caloric intake as far as surplus, maintenance or deficit?

I think for some people, understanding that prog can move into cortisol in a stressed or underfed state scares people away because they dont get a lot of the benefits people speak of. I have read and talked with a few people that feel prog and even preg can stimulate them too much at times.

Sobieski

Anyone else noticed masculinizing effects from taking progesterone? Just started taking some like 5 weeks ago and the changes are amazing! Things i got are wider and more prominent jaw, fat deposits on upper eyelid making it look more hooded, harder muscles, wider forehead and a broader skull, stronger libido with very little refractory period, extremely high confidence levels almost like being high or drunk no joke especially in combination with lots of coffee, fat loss on some places especially on the abdomen and the **** area and thicker and straighter eyebrows. The only bad thing i noticed from taking it is very slow beard growth. No changes in hairline or hair growth noticed although i must admit 11-keto is way better for hair related stuff especially the hairline, too potent though makes you grow baby hairs which doesn't look very nice.
It confuses me because those things are exactly what androgens are supposed to do except for the hair. Is it it's antagonism to estrogen or cortisol or maybe both? If so why isn't aspirin or vitamin e so potent like progesterone? Is it its conversion to downstream androgens? I tried other progesterone products in the past with very bad results and the doses were way lower than i'm taking currently. Do you think taking pregnenolone yields similar results? Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Do you take it orally?

success23

I think it is because progesterone increases liteinizing hormone and this increase testosterone.

marsaday

20mcg is a big dose for a male. We make about this amount per day i think.

Short term it is probably fine, but longer term (say getting on for over 10 weeks) i wonder what will happen.

If you keep going with it will you update the thread with your experiences.

I take progesterone every day and have for over 3 yrs now. It has been a superb supplement for me. I only take 6mg per day though. And some days i will miss a day out.

My hair loss has not stopped taking it, but i am 46, so it is having no effect there.

It makes my mood much more relaxed and i know it has improved my thyroid function because i have the blood results to prove it as i take thyroid meds for an underactive thyroid.

I have never tried a big dose like 20mg. I thought bigger doses can make you sleepy.

OP
cellboy

cellboy

Yeah definitely a game changer for me. I tried pregnenolone too but very small doses like <10mg/day and didn‘t notice a thing. I think that corticosteroids are like the stress version of progestins and estrogens the stress version of androgens. They have similar effects on the body like progesterone and cortisol both stabilizing blood sugar or testosterone and estradiol both promoting cell growth but in different ways. So maybe taking enough progesterone to shift the balance towards the non-Stress steroids would also mean that androgens doesn‘t need to be converted to cheap estrogens just like corticosteroids and estrogens promote each other’s production maybe progestins and androgens stimulate each other’s production too. I think the main problem is that those non-Stress steroids are excreted way to easily by the body and to maintain a high level of them metabolism needs to be high and nutrients generous so maybe those stress hormones are just a cheap way to get the same effects with much lower levels through a longer half life which obviously would lead to toxicity someday. Btw which brand of progesterone are you using? 40mg per day must be quite expensive for the long term :(

OP
cellboy

cellboy

Can you give the thread readers an idea of your caloric intake as far as surplus, maintenance or deficit?

I think for some people, understanding that prog can move into cortisol in a stressed or underfed state scares people away because they dont get a lot of the benefits people speak of. I have read and talked with a few people that feel prog and even preg can stimulate them too much at times.
In a Surplus Most of the time. I think it‘s like caffeine if not fueled enough it‘ll trigger a stress response but what matters more is your mitochondrial health because ultimately they’re the energy producers and if poisoned or jammed they won’t even be able to burn calories even if you‘re on a surplus. Sun and mental stimulation are the Holy grail of mitochondrial health. Some supplements like mb,caffeine can help too

brix

What do you mean 11 keto is better for hair? 11 keto DHT you mean?

johnwester130

even if it did feminise you, low dose DHEA and low dose testosterone will fix it

I don't know the ratio.

maybe 10mg progesterone, 1mg dhea would be good

Obi-wan

I do 50-100mgs of Progesterone and use Natpro pump (50 mgs per pump). USP Progesterone. I am 61 years old.

opethfeldt

Yeah definitely a game changer for me. I tried pregnenolone too but very small doses like <10mg/day and didn‘t notice a thing. I think that corticosteroids are like the stress version of progestins and estrogens the stress version of androgens. They have similar effects on the body like progesterone and cortisol both stabilizing blood sugar or testosterone and estradiol both promoting cell growth but in different ways. So maybe taking enough progesterone to shift the balance towards the non-Stress steroids would also mean that androgens doesn‘t need to be converted to cheap estrogens just like corticosteroids and estrogens promote each other’s production maybe progestins and androgens stimulate each other’s production too. I think the main problem is that those non-Stress steroids are excreted way to easily by the body and to maintain a high level of them metabolism needs to be high and nutrients generous so maybe those stress hormones are just a cheap way to get the same effects with much lower levels through a longer half life which obviously would lead to toxicity someday. Btw which brand of progesterone are you using? 40mg per day must be quite expensive for the long term :(
I'm taking Progest-E. Planning on switching to a different brand when it runs out but my girlfriend already had a bottle haha. It's not cheap, yeah, but it's a worthwhile investment to me because progesterone makes me feel better than anything else I've tried or taken in terms of diet and supplements. I think you may be right about progestins supporting androgens. Given that progesterone and estrogen are opposed and estrogen opposes androgens, it seems logical to think progesterone would support androgen synthesis. It's true that progesterone needs to be supported with lots of nutrients, though. I'm way hungrier than I used to be.

AlphaD

Interesting! I just started 100 MG progesterone a week ago to see if it helps with my insomnia (I've had it forever). Anyways, the pills are liquid filled 100MG micronized gels. Do any of you know how much of this actually gets absorbed when taken Orally? Based on your feedback, looks like 100MG is too much for males, eh?

xetawaves

Do you care to elaborate on the 11-keto statement? I’ve never heard of anyone using it for hair regrowth.

success23