DHEA And Muscle Growth

Orius

I'm currently on 10mg of prednisone and reducing slowly, due to an auto-immune condition. One thing prednisone does in my case is cause weight loss, so I am chronically underweight until I get off this stuff.

I've been taking DHEA and pregnenolone to support my hormone system, as prednisone tends to take these hormone pathways offline. I also support them with conversion minerals, like selenium, boron, etc.

In the past, I've noticed that a combo of DHEA, pregnenlone and boron has helped me to develop muscle tone as I regain body mass and musculature following auto-immune flares, but I'm not 100% sure of this correlation.

That's what I'm coming here to ask.

Can DHEA help men develop passive muscle growth? I'm not talking about having body-building type muscle or anything, just normal muscle tone. I know one thing it does is reduce the muscle to fat ratio, but I don't know if it increases muscle mass. One reason I ask is because I know that weightlifting, a muscle building exercise, causes DHEA release... so I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Thank you!

Hans

I'm currently on 10mg of prednisone and reducing slowly, due to an auto-immune condition. One thing prednisone does in my case is cause weight loss, so I am chronically underweight until I get off this stuff.

I've been taking DHEA and pregnenolone to support my hormone system, as prednisone tends to take these hormone pathways offline. I also support them with conversion minerals, like selenium, boron, etc.

In the past, I've noticed that a combo of DHEA, pregnenlone and boron has helped me to develop muscle tone as I regain body mass and musculature following auto-immune flares, but I'm not 100% sure of this correlation.

That's what I'm coming here to ask.

Can DHEA help men develop passive muscle growth? I'm not talking about having body-building type muscle or anything, just normal muscle tone. I know one thing it does is reduce the muscle to fat ratio, but I don't know if it increases muscle mass. One reason I ask is because I know that weightlifting, a muscle building exercise, causes DHEA release... so I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Thank you!
Yes it can increase muscle mass if you have low amounts of muscle mass to start with. But once you reach a certain level, it has minor if not zilch effect on muscle growth. Meaning, it is needed, but giving the body more will not promote hypertrophy past a certain point.

Orius

Yes it can increase muscle mass if you have low amounts of muscle mass to start with. But once you reach a certain level, it has minor if not zilch effect on muscle growth. Meaning, it is needed, but giving the body more will not promote hypertrophy past a certain point.

So in other words it can be good for recovery if you atrophied due to illness (I am under weight), but not for actual bodybuilding hypertrophy.

Ponce

If you take DHEA it will be reduce intrinsic prednisone’s effects due to a decreased of the enzyme 11β-HSD1 which converts cortisone into cortisol (immunosuppressive), and this by increasing the expression of 11β-HSD2. DHEA works this way.
So if you supplement DHEA you can give up your glucocorticoids.
DHEA itself is a substance involved in the regulation of the immune system, among others...

Ponce

With DHEA you can take some aspirin and cyproheptadine to reduce aromatase, and then increase DHEA’ effects.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
theantagonist Muscle gain log: androsterone + progesterone + pregnenelone + DHEA Exercise 20
A Tretinoin and DHEA Skin 0
V HPA Dysfunction ( Low Dhea-s) Former Anabolics User ( Bloodwork Included) Ask For Help or Advice 4
F How to get the most E2 Estradiol out of DHEA supplementation? Hormones 12
P Anyone get good lab results using 10-15 mgs of dhea Male Issues 0
V Pregnenolone, Progesterone, DHEA supplementation advice Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 7
tallglass13 Ray said some negative things about DHEA DHEA 19
W High DHEA but low testosterone? Blood Work, Labs 3
R Effects of transdermal application of DHEA on the levels of steroids, gonadotropins and lipids in men Scientific Studies 1
F Pregnenolone & or DHEA on TRT for anxiety&hair loss Ask For Help or Advice 4
G Topical DHEA for hair loss?!? Hair & Nails 42
B DHEA Solution for topical application, how to make it? Skin 5
theantagonist Source DHEA 5mg Europe/Uk Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 16
johnwester130 Anti-Peat 7α-Hydroxy-DHEA elevated in alzeimer's, not DHEA Debate - Anti-Peat 1
ddjd DHEA essential for absorption of DHT?? Ask For Help or Advice 4
N Confused about DHEA DHEA 14
Lokzo Copper Deficiency Can Decrease DHEA Levels By Up To 50%! Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 29
johnwester130 Anti-Peat DHEA is an anti-androgen Debate - Anti-Peat 8
S Australia Nanny State - How To Get A Dhea/prog Prescription? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 7
Mr.Cacciatore DHEA Agonizes Estrogen Beta Receptor Male Issues 0
Gadreel Has Anyone Else Heard Of A 8 Wk 400mg Dhea Study? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 21
M Help! My Facial Features Changed From Taking Progestorone, Pregnenlone And Dhea Male Issues 64
Gadreel Dhea With Vitamin E Vs Dhea With Dim Ask For Help or Advice 0
Infinite DHEA Profound Effects Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
vulture Best Solvent For Topical DHEA In Genitals Thyroid and Hormones 13
not_James_Bond 7-Keto DHEA Metabolite Metabolism 1
L How Much DHEA Is Safe Daily? Skin 26
haidut Topical DHEA Has Potent Anti-aging Effects On Human Skin Scientific Studies 8
C Taking DHEA With These Blood Results? Ask For Help or Advice 6
ScurveDream DHEA Or Pregnenolone To Combat Possible Caffeine-induced Stress? Ask For Help or Advice 8
Lenin Effects Of Cyproheptadine + DHEA On High Blood Pressure - High Pulse Experiments 3
F 50mg DHEA + 100mg Preg = No Effect DHEA 8
C Progesterone + DHEA Dosages In Young Person Ask For Help or Advice 7
C Is Dhea Safe For Young People? Ask For Help or Advice 13
L Can Micronized DHEA Dissolve In Coconut Oil? Digestion 3
zarrin77 “ Influence Of Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) On The Thyroid Hormone Status Of BHE/cdb Rats” Scientific Studies 18
L Micronized DHEA From A Capsule Soluable In Oil? Male Issues 0
M DHEA Issue DHEA 15
Y Best Source For Youth Steriods (preg/prog/dhea) From Eating Brains? Ask For Help or Advice 23
GelatinGoblin What Would Be An Optimal Environment For DHEA Production? Ask For Help or Advice 1
A Androsterone+DHEA Ask For Help or Advice 4
L Transdermal DHEA Questions DHEA 4
Soren Progesterone & DHEA During Chemo Therapy? Cancer, Degenerative Diseases 0
S 1008 Test; 33.4 Free Test -- TRT, Hypoxia, Hypothyroidism & DHEA Blood Work, Labs 6
H DHEA Suppresses Longitudinal Bone Growth By Acting Directly At Growth Plate Through Estrogen Recepto DHEA 7
H DHEA Alters Vitamin E Status Prevents Lipid Peroxidation In Vitamin E-Deficient Rats DHEA 0
GutFeeling Proviron May Reduce DHEA Conversion To Testosterone Scientific Studies 1
Inaut #14 - Aging, Mitochondria, Hypoxia, DHEA, Fertility - Danny Roddy With Georgi Dinkov Danny Roddy 12
haidut DHEA-S Completely Prevents Breast Cancer Metastasis Due To Estrogen Scientific Studies 5
Lenny Need Help Taking DHEA/PREG And Searching This Forum! Ask For Help or Advice 16