Pregnenolone May Protect From Marijuana Intoxication

Thingschanged

I think cannabis is highly estrogenic and not meaning to be rude but if you read some of the backlash answers on here to a simple comment claiming it can be bad for you proves so.
It seems you say one bad thing about cannabis and you get ambushed....
I smoked for years and noticed as great as it was for anxiety it slowly worked less and less and years down the line had the total opposite response ,
I was more nervous in social situations
Nervous to speak my mind
Always thinking rather than doing , when before I was always quick to do
Indecisive
Lazy less mobile
Didn't give my body the nutrition it needed
Decreased muscle mass
Unsociable
Random mood swings
Less ambition
I think it's clear it reduces testosterone and increases serotonin
Look at a long term pot smoker and then a long term non pot smoker
The difference is drive , assertiveness , confidence etc etc all signs of testosterone
Say what you will about it being natural , compare it to tobacco yada yada
Buzz kill this buzz kill that but let's face it you smoke weed you sit and eat and end up in silence if anything it kills your buzz ,
Worst mistake I ever made smoking it in the first place can see why it's called a weed
Apart from pain killer effect it's useless and carcinogenic in my opinion terrible for the male body and brain especially in adolescence.
Feminizing
But what do I know I only smoked it for 10 years ......
I also have reason to believe it can change the way you handle stress and have seen it happen numerous times
It's a plant that subdues the human body and mind completely and infiltrates like a weed
But that's just my opinion

Waynish

Any votes for the most peatish strain? :)

By the way, eating has significantly different effects from delivery via the lungs. Mere intellectuals reading about it's effects who don't have much experience should remember this fact.

Waynish

Peat said ANY smoke contains aromatic polycarbons that are highly carcinogenic. He mentioned a scientists working on soot carcinogenicity, and observing increased cancer in chimney cleaners. Smoke also contains CO, and anything that inhibits respiration (CO, NO, NO2, etc) will cause cancer in the long run. There are many reasons to not smoke a substance, but if you can find a decent charcoal filter it should mitigate many of the detrimental effects. Even the charcoal filter won't stop all the estrogenic (and therefore carcinogenic) chemicals in smoke.

But in terms of the estrogenic chemicals - do they exist in vapor too? For example if hash oil or cannabis is vaporized? And won't we get extra PUFA if we eat it? Maybe vaporizing is best long-term? Eating it is really different anyway - dosage is a lot more touchy.

Waynish

Also, by what mechanism do you think it increases pregnenolone in the brain by 3000%?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Also, by what mechanism do you think it increases pregnenolone in the brain by 3000%?

By the mechanism that pregnenolone is an antagonist to marijuana's effects, so the body seems to not like the presence of marijuana and it increases synthesis of its antagonist (pregnenolone). So, marijuana's effects seem to be hormetic and if pregnenolone synthesis falters for whatever reason then marijuana may not have much benefit to offer other than pain relief.

Dhair

By the mechanism that pregnenolone is an antagonist to marijuana's effects, so the body seems to not like the presence of marijuana and it increases synthesis of its antagonist (pregnenolone). So, marijuana's effects seem to be hormetic and if pregnenolone synthesis falters for whatever reason then marijuana may not have much benefit to offer other than pain relief.
Have you seen this? It looks like it's a response to this study.
From Enhancing Brain Pregnenolone May Protect Cannabis Intoxication but Should Not Be Considered as an Anti-addiction Therapeutic: Hypothesizing Dopaminergic Blockade and Promoting Anti-Reward
Pregnenolone is not the answer
As we hypothesized earlier, a similar type of a suggestion claiming that blocking dopamine will provide a solution to cannabis abuse. Vallee et al. also deserves cautious attention. They suggest that raising brain Pregnenolone can not only protect the brain from Cannabis intoxication, but be useful as a way to treat Cannabis addiction as well [3].

To reiterate Pregnenolone is considered the inactive precursor of all steroid hormones and it has been recently shown to protect the brain from Cannabis intoxication. Although most steroids are synthesized in the periphery, a number of them are produced in the brain known as neurosteroids. The major active ingredient of Cannabis Sativa, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) enhances the synthesis of Pregnenolone in the brain via stimulation of type-1 cannabinoid (CB1) receptor [3, 21]. It has been shown that this allosteric modulator steroid inhibits the activity of the CB1 receptor thereby reducing many of THC effects without altering THC affinity to CB1 receptors [3, 22]. Vallee et al. [3] clearly show that Pregnenolone blocks THC-induced neuronal dopamine release in the NAc as well as blocking THC-induced food intake. This group also reported that Pregnenolone reversed self-administration of a CB1 agonist WIN55, 212-2 indicating blockade of CB1 receptors.

Moreover, it is known that THC induces inhibition of GABA/glutamate release through an interaction with MDMA receptors [23] allowing for “dopamine homeostasis.” These particular THC effects were significantly attenuated by Pregnenolone [3]. In fact, it is suggested that THC-induced production of Pregnenolone exerts a negative feedback on CB1 receptor activity so exogenously administered Pregnenolone would result in a heightened inhibitory effect of CB1 receptor function. However, in contrast to these effects the sulfated Pregnenolone has been shown by Vallee’s group [3] to increase both dopamine release and the dopaminergic response to morphine in the rat NAc [24]. The dopamine release effect of the sulfated Pregnenolone seems to be incongruent and unresolved relative to their current hypotheses.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Have you seen this? It looks like it's a response to this study.
From Enhancing Brain Pregnenolone May Protect Cannabis Intoxication but Should Not Be Considered as an Anti-addiction Therapeutic: Hypothesizing Dopaminergic Blockade and Promoting Anti-Reward
Pregnenolone is not the answer
As we hypothesized earlier, a similar type of a suggestion claiming that blocking dopamine will provide a solution to cannabis abuse. Vallee et al. also deserves cautious attention. They suggest that raising brain Pregnenolone can not only protect the brain from Cannabis intoxication, but be useful as a way to treat Cannabis addiction as well [3].

To reiterate Pregnenolone is considered the inactive precursor of all steroid hormones and it has been recently shown to protect the brain from Cannabis intoxication. Although most steroids are synthesized in the periphery, a number of them are produced in the brain known as neurosteroids. The major active ingredient of Cannabis Sativa, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) enhances the synthesis of Pregnenolone in the brain via stimulation of type-1 cannabinoid (CB1) receptor [3, 21]. It has been shown that this allosteric modulator steroid inhibits the activity of the CB1 receptor thereby reducing many of THC effects without altering THC affinity to CB1 receptors [3, 22]. Vallee et al. [3] clearly show that Pregnenolone blocks THC-induced neuronal dopamine release in the NAc as well as blocking THC-induced food intake. This group also reported that Pregnenolone reversed self-administration of a CB1 agonist WIN55, 212-2 indicating blockade of CB1 receptors.

Moreover, it is known that THC induces inhibition of GABA/glutamate release through an interaction with MDMA receptors [23] allowing for “dopamine homeostasis.” These particular THC effects were significantly attenuated by Pregnenolone [3]. In fact, it is suggested that THC-induced production of Pregnenolone exerts a negative feedback on CB1 receptor activity so exogenously administered Pregnenolone would result in a heightened inhibitory effect of CB1 receptor function. However, in contrast to these effects the sulfated Pregnenolone has been shown by Vallee’s group [3] to increase both dopamine release and the dopaminergic response to morphine in the rat NAc [24]. The dopamine release effect of the sulfated Pregnenolone seems to be incongruent and unresolved relative to their current hypotheses.

Thanks, I saw that some time ago but I am not convinced by their reasoning because higher dose pregnenolone have been shown to directly block CB1 and also the intoxicating effects of alcohol, morphine, GHB, ketamine, etc. So, there is a direct blocking effect on the intoxication which cannot be explained alone by effects on dopamine.

Sapien

A lot of people smoke weed these days, and it happens to be highly anti-androgenic and serotonergic. But if it is helpful for some people then it would be nice if there was a way to mitigate some of the undesirable effects. It looks like pregnenolone may be able to help.

Pregnenolone can protect the brain from cannabis intoxication - PubMed
Haidut, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to chime in with my experience.

I was a big pothead for several years, and tried to quit many many times unsuccessfully. I would get major withdrawal symptoms, both physically and mentally.
Despite the narrative, THC can be physically addicting. Without it I wouldn't be able to eat or sleep. Cravings/symptoms can last for months due to THCs affinity to be stored in the fatty tissue. It is demonstrated in this study ( Reintoxication: the release of fat-stored Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) into blood is enhanced by food deprivation or ACTH exposure ) that ffa liberation introduces small intoxicating doses of thc even after a long period of time without consuming. "The present study shows that lipolysis enhances the release of THC from fat stores back into blood. This suggests the likelihood of ‘reintoxication’ whereby food deprivation or stress may raise blood THC levels in animals chronically exposed to the drug."

After hearing you discusses pregnenolone being an effective method for quitting thc in a podcast, I ordered some StressNon

It made stopping effortless, I had no inclination to use THC, very effective thanks for the advice and great product Haidut!

Marijuana use is extremely common nowadays, with most people thinking it is harmless. Thank you for shedding light on its harms, your appearance on matt Blackburn talking about it really motivated me to stop for good.

P.S. My main reason for wanting to stop was due to it's quality of inhibiting rem sleep. I found that whenever I would take a break, I would get crazy dreams (rem rebound) I would wake up feeling very refreshed and realized that it was really hurting sleep and thus my quality of life.

The amount of daily pot users that are in a chronic state of rem sleep deprivation is alarming. I wonder if we won't look back at weed the same way we do (conventional) cigarettes now; i.e thinking it was harmless only to discover later the harms.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals