Pregnenolone May Protect Cognition From Damage By Stress

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study was actually on how stress damages cognition, and based on another study I posted and the drug used in the study to block the effects of stress I inferred that pregnenolone would work just as well.
The study discovered that the release of CRF / CRH as part of the stress response is what is responsible for the damage in cognition. If stress is chronic it is well-known to lead to depression, schizophrenia, dementia and even full-blown Alzheimer's, sometimes in people as young as 30yo.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-06-hormone-decline-cognition-social-stress.html

"...The so-called Corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) controls our reaction in the prefrontal cortex; however, which exact role it plays was not clear previously. Therefore, scientists at the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry tested what exactly happens in the brain during such stressful periods in mice. They exposed mice to acute social stress and observed a cognitive decline in the rodents some hours later. The mice were not able to show cognitive flexibility in a test maze or remember the chronological sequence of events they had learned before. In order to find out more about the role CRF plays in this process, the scientists blocked the action of the peptide using a drug, a so-called CRF antagonist. This time, the performance of the mice did not decrease several hours after the stressful event; they were able to perform the required tasks as successfully as they had done without stress.

The good news is that pregnenolone, in the doses recommeneded by Peat (100mg daily) should be able to stop the damaging process and even reverse already existing damage.
Pregnenolone Is The Most Potent Inhibitor Of The Stress Signal (CRH)

Makrosky

Great find @haidut, thanks!!!

Do you think measuring CRH or CRF in blood serum has any value for diagnosis of stress ? Cortisol blood test is not very useful because as you know cortisol has a 24h changing pattern.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Great find @haidut, thanks!!!

Do you think measuring CRH or CRF in blood serum has any value for diagnosis of stress ? Cortisol blood test is not very useful because as you know cortisol has a 24h changing pattern.

Absolutely, yes. The recent thread I posted on estrogen and cortisol as being causes of depression actually mentioned that - i.e. diagnosed by untreated people with mental/mood issues have elevated CRF/CRH in blood.
Depression May Be Caused By Estrogen In Females And Cortisol In Males

Look at the second quote from the study above. I think when doing cortisol it would help to add CRF/CRH and ACTH to the tests so that a person can see if a proper feedback mechanism is present.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals