Pregnenolone May Treat Bipolar Depression

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has said that depressed people taking pregnenolone recovered quickly and felt a "sense of resilience" when faced with depressive challenges. This was a human trial and dose was 500mg a day for 12 weeks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24917198

"...Depression remission rates were greater in the pregnenolone group (61%) compared with the placebo group (37%), as assessed by the IDS-SR (χ2(1)=3.99, p=0.046), but not the HRSD. Large baseline-to-exit changes in neurosteroid levels were observed in the pregnenolone group but not in the placebo group. In the pregnenolone group, baseline-to-exit change in the HRSA correlated negatively with changes in allopregnanolone (r(22)=-0.43, p=0.036) and pregNANolone (r(22)=-0.48, p=0.019) levels. Pregnenolone was well tolerated. The results suggest that pregnenolone may improve depressive symptoms in patients with BPD and can be safely administered."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It's great to hear about safe and effective approaches to depression for people following a Peat inspired lifestyle. Since most of the mainstream recommendations seem highly toxic it's wonderful that you posted this evidence to help people while they are working through the process of restoring metabolism. I absolutely love information that can help people avoid or resolve unnecessary suffering. Brilliant!

DavidGardner

Pregnenolone is one thing that is helping me now to stay on a lower dose of my bipolar med than I would otherwise need. But I only take 10 - 20 mg, and this study uses 500 mg. I get a noticeable hangover effect even from 20 mg. How are people able to handle this much? Does the effect change at very high doses?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals